ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New York Times Opinion Article
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    New York Times Opinion Article
    Master Greytalker

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:36 pm  
    New York Times Opinion Article

Shout-outs to S3 and Q1

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/06/opinion/sunday/dungeons-and-dragons.html?smid=fb-nytopinion&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR0I6RVmAstgAc6nac0pUNakoLDeyd9t1aYZHGUImARy96NZ1tb9u0YDnBw
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:19 am  
    I'll drunk to that!

Well written article. Probably not hard to convince someone my age of its validity (I was a Stranger Thing's kid myself in the 80s).

I have introduced my teenage daughters to D&D (2nd edition of course Lanthorn :) ). Several times a year my basement gets flooded by a crowd of teenage boys and girls for whom I Dungeon Master.

Though I will never get the cell phones out of their hands for long, for a while they mesh together in person for a common goal. It is really nice to see. They laugh, snack, roll dice and enjoy each other's company.

They just survived their first storming of an evil castle. The teamwork and ingenious imagination used was truly inspiring. Maybe these kids won't destroy our society when we are old after all. :)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:24 pm  

Great article and it's good to see the game is growing even after all these years. I admit though, the older I get the harder it is to find groups/people to game with, especially as much as I move with my job. I'm also a 2nd edition fanatic, so I've noticed the amount of 2nd edition or even 1st edition players seems to be getting smaller every year. Good thing for Canonfire!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:32 pm  

I'm 50, I've raised three kids, and they play DnD. When I dm'd them and their friends we only ran 3.5 & 5.0 Greyhawk. That is all they know of and I'm proud of it. I have a new group I play with now that my kids are in college. I dm them in the Blackmoor region of Greyhawk. We have been going on for a year. SO If you have kids, or play with friends , and they want to play DnD....let them get to know Iuz, Veccna, Iggwilv, Mordenkainen, Bigby..........
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:52 pm  

Terrific article, it catches a lot of good things about D&D. Things that have always been amongst its strengths, and are even more important today! It great to be in a time where articles like this about D&D are being published in respectable media.
    GreySage

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:18 pm  

I also appreciate the article because, having just turned 50 (watch out, Mystic Scholar Wink ), I recognize and agree with the sentiments expressed therein.

My own four children all learned to play D&D with me and the younger three (in high school and college) came over for a day of gaming for my birthday this past weekend. They are always eager to sit around the table with family and friends, goading each other, through their characters, to acts of heroism that end in hilarious defeat more often than not and having a far more entertaining time of socializing than any social media can provide.

SirXaris

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:53 pm  
    Re: I'll drunk to that!

Sheepdog wrote:

I have introduced my teenage daughters to D&D (2nd edition of course Lanthorn :) ). Several times a year my basement gets flooded by a crowd of teenage boys and girls for whom I Dungeon Master.

Keep the faith alive! Happy

My son has yet to start gaming, but it is only a matter of time...much to my wife's chagrin, no doubt.

-Lanthorn, Disciple of 2nd edition
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:44 pm  
    Re: I'll drunk to that!

Lanthorn wrote:
    Sheepdog wrote:

Keep the faith alive! Happy

My son has yet to start gaming, but it is only a matter of time...much to my wife's chagrin, no doubt.

-Lanthorn, Disciple of 2nd edition

Lanthorn,

Where are all the 2nd edition players hiding?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:45 am  

I also recommend this: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rick-and-morty-vs-dungeons-dragons-patrick-rothfuss/1128987481?ean=9781684055913#/

Too many easter eggs in there to count.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: