Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Worn out questions I assume...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Worn out questions I assume...
    Novice

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:02 am  
    Worn out questions I assume...

but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for in the forums. Hopefully you will bear with a new member of the forums :)

My question is this- have been playing Pathfinder for a few years, and are taking a break to do Strahd for 5E. I've never been a fan of the Realms, so we are doing our initial adventuring in Greyhawk before kicking off the adventure in Barovia. Already, a few players are bummed as we've all enjoyed spending time on Oerth. There is some discussion about looking at Pathfinder but coming back to Greyhawk after Strahd. (Please note I've never played 3.5. So I'm not aware of what resources that might have...)

However, how have you handled races?
    1.) Do you allow the subraces? High elves, valley elves, wild elves, tallfellow halflings, etc? If so, how do you handle the mechanics?
    2.) How would you handle the myriad of other races that Pathfinder offers? Would you allow any of them, or just stick with the classic Greyhawk races?
    3.) Any other major issues anyone has found tackling Pathfinder in Greyhawk?

I'm sure I'll have other questions- but this seems like the most glaring one to me initially.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:37 am  

Though I ran Pathfinder for a few dozen sessions, not many PCs/NPCs were of the odd Greyhawk subraces - maybe one or two. I had more of an issue with monster stat availability and needing to convert a few, such as bullywugs to name one.

As to suggestions for what to do about PC subraces, here is one:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?3661-Greyhawk-Races-Question&p=50220#post50220

Another focusing on 5E rules, but which touches on where one might place the newer and more odd races: http://www.greyhawkgrognard.com/2016/03/04/greyhawk-races-for-5e/

I would also suggest the Pinnacles of Azor'alq, which lies in the Drawmij Ocean, as another suitable location for Dragonborn.

Last, welcome to Canonfire! Happy

Last edited by Cebrion on Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:00 am  

I use what is published in the Races of Faerun book with some modifications. I swap the wood and wild elf and for halflings I do mods using 2e resources.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:43 am  
    Re: Worn out questions I assume...

curbry wrote:
    My question is this- ...
    However, how have you handled races?
    1. Do you allow the subraces? High elves, valley elves, wild elves, tallfellow halflings, etc? If so, how do you handle the mechanics?
    2. How would you handle the myriad of other races that Pathfinder offers? Would you allow any of them, or just stick with the classic Greyhawk races?
    3. Any other major issues anyone has found tackling Pathfinder in Greyhawk?
    I'm sure I'll have other questions- but this seems like the most glaring one to me initially.
    Well … first, sorry for this response being 3 weeks later. But …
    Which rule-set are you going to be playing your Greyhawk game in?
    You said you didn't know what 3.5 offered, but, you also said you'd been playing in 5e. But, I'm also gathering that you're actually using Pathfinder, now. Is it PF RPG, or PF 2nd Edition?

In my experience, races aren't really a problem.
    Even in 3.x, I've always offered standard GH races in addition to the "normal" races in the PHB. Like hobniz. … I always offered Hairfoot, Stout, and Tallfellow in addition to "Lightfoot" halflings of the PHB.
    And I do the same in PF RPG and D&D 5e.

I offer most races that're considered "regular" PHB races now, like tieflings, warforged, and dragonborn … with the caveat that players have to understand they're not playing a socially acceptable race, and that it may complicate their RP if they're playing a race no one commonly sees.

I have options for where the dragonborn, warforged, tieflings are from, or whatever. Ravilla or Dragon's Isle, City of the Gods, Naresh or North Kingdom etc.
    If you'd like to talk about handling them, etc, I'd be happy to go further into it, if you're still interested.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:27 pm  

Icarus wrote:
    Well … first, sorry for this response being 3 weeks later. But …

3 weeks...and a year. Been there, done that myself. Threadomancy gets us all at one time or another. Wink A definite benefit of Canonfire! being campaign-specific is that, regardless of when something is posted, the discussion is invariably topical, and what is too late for one may be just in time for another. Cool

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:11 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    3 weeks...and a year. Been there, done that myself. ...Cool
    Whoops! ha haha!
    Well, maybe someone'll use it! Thanks, Ceb!
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Paladin

Sat May 16, 2020 5:47 am  

Icarus wrote:
    Cebrion wrote:
    3 weeks...and a year. Been there, done that myself. ...Cool
    Whoops! ha haha!
    Well, maybe someone'll use it! Thanks, Ceb!

This made me chuckle , and so I was compelled to at least sudo-thread-necro this!
    As I had read elsewhere, Cebrion had posted that he enjoys just reading some of the questions /responses as "the problem to solve for today". I must admit I've been guilty of the same.. I enjoy just seeing the differing perspectives on how others would manage the "dilemma at hand".

For me, I would inject the WoGH does have several other continents yet "undiscovered" by those in the flanaess. Certainly there would be room for the dragonkind to "fit in" far places such as the far away Imperiums, Nippon (or whatever retitling you have for your own Campaign), Hemponaland's southern shores or the fabled Fire Island of the northern suel?

Point being there is a vast amount of undiscovered lands that are ripe for such developments. Imagine for a moment if you will if this is why the Seul or Baklunish or Oridian migrations east occured due to the influx of other alternate races not in the eastern Flanaess? Or The Origins of the magic that consumed the Sea of dust in that final cataclysmic battle was the result of magic or artifacts stolen from the Dragonkind?

IMOC I have had "NPC special guest stars" from those far away places that have been summoned or gated to the eastern flanaess that we all know in detail. Are some ostracized for being different, sure, but that is what good role play is sometimes about. My players characters were certainly suspect of a Giant Guinea Pig Samurai and his pupil, a 450 lb Sumo Panda bear Druid, but they came to love and respect them and even now miss them since they had to return to the realm from which they came.

Japanese & Asian history are rich with folklore of "Animal spirits" but not always in a non corporeal spirit form, representing all spectrums of light and dark. So they likely would be as readily accepted in those cultures as elves, dwarves and orcs in the Flanaess culture, wouldn't they?
    Just my 2cp

Well maybe 3 cp heheh

With a bit more thought to this and to expand the edges somewhat, our good friends at Greyhawk Grognard had an article on those other bits of the map... these could use a look as well.. It is there discussions around Oriental Adventures (OA) that led me to make some of my decisions for my visitors above.

http://www.greyhawkgrognard.com/2019/08/23/western-oerik-and-that-map/

Oh and my thread necro is ONLY 9 months give or take.. heheh that's what happens when I have to social distance and isolate from Incabulos... hehe

DLG
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: