Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Protection Scrolls: duration known, or not, to reader?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Protection Scrolls: duration known, or not, to reader?
    GreySage

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:32 pm  
    Protection Scrolls: duration known, or not, to reader?

Query:

Do protection scrolls tell the reader for how long the recipient will be protected (the range given in the description, for instance)?

Or is this NOT imparted by reading the scroll and is only revealed with an Identify spell?

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:56 pm  

The character literally knows what the scroll will do, as that is imparted with any understanding of the scroll (i.e. the character has read it, but not out loud so as to activate it). The true duration of any variable duration is, of course, only known by the DM.

Though this may just be the case with our gaming groups, Protection Scrolls need not be identified. Our reasoning has been that, as anyone can use a Protection Scroll, including characters incapable of understanding clerical magic or unable to cast read magic, the nature of Protection Scrolls is they are inherently understandable. In other words, you don't need a wizard to say, "Here. Let me cast identify on this scroll so I can tell you of the magical text you are...um...able to read anyways. Stop laughing! I know a lot about scrolls! I'm a very important person!!!" Razz That being said, the same applies to Cursed Scrolls. Evil Grin

Finally, a DM might even extend this inherent magical understanding of Protection Scrolls to illiterate characters, though I would extend that same courtesy to Cursed Scrolls too, as they work in a similarly unrestricted (class-wise) manner.

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:49 am  

Thanks, Cebrion, for your input, as always.

I guess what I am really getting at is...

...does the reader know, upon reading the protection scroll, that the effect will last for, say, 15-25 minutes, or whatever is indicated by the duration range? Is that knowledge imparted to the reader upon perusing the scroll's effect? Or not?

Hope that clarifies my question.

thanks

Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:47 am  

Yes. If a scroll is understood it is understood fully, just as any spell understood by a spellcaster is understood fully.

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:16 pm  

I would agree with you on this. Just wanted input.

thank you

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:15 pm  

I agree, I think he specific details, powers, ranges, durations, etc. of the spell have to be listed and available to the reader.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: