Username Password
  or Create an Account
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
Features
Greyhawk Wiki

#greytalk-discord
    JOIN THE CHAT
    Canonfire :: View topic - Town locations
    Town locations

     
    Search the Forums
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Author Message
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Town locations Reply with quote

    I'm trying to add the locations of named towns and its a bit difficult for me to
    do the research because of my poor eyesight.

    Any idea where this is located?

    Alran [TWN]
    LGG - 135
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Town locations Reply with quote

    JasonZavoda wrote:
    I'm trying to add the locations of named towns and its a bit difficult for me to
    do the research because of my poor eyesight.

    Any idea where this is located?

    Alran [TWN]
    LGG - 135


    Seems to be a Suel Imperium era settlement that is in the history of the Yeomanry but might belong to the Sea Princes now or the town may be abandoned or renamed.
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

    Alvein [TWN]
    COG:C# - 15

    That ref is city of greyhawk boxed set ca rd #15
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    rasgon
    GreySage


    Joined: Aug 03, 2001
    Posts: 3007
    Location: Michigan

    PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

    JasonZavoda wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:
    I'm trying to add the locations of named towns and its a bit difficult for me to
    do the research because of my poor eyesight.

    Any idea where this is located?

    Alran [TWN]
    LGG - 135


    Seems to be a Suel Imperium era settlement that is in the history of the Yeomanry but might belong to the Sea Princes now or the town may be abandoned or renamed.


    It's on the coast of Jeklea Bay, so just as Melkot, mentioned in the same paragraph, is actually in the Sea Princes, it's either in the Hold of the Sea Princes or the Amedio Jungle, despite being mentioned in the Yeomanry section. If Jeklea Bay is the body of water that extends from Monmurg to the northern tip of the Amedio Jungle, then Alran could be any of the modern settlements on that coast, from Monmurg to Port Toli. If it's in the Amedio Jungle, it could conceivably be an early name for Sasserine.

    It could also simply be abandoned, or inhabited only by nonhuman monsters. But it's definitely not in the modern Yeomanry.

    JasonZavoda wrote:
    Alvein [TWN]
    COG:C# - 15

    That ref is city of greyhawk boxed set ca rd #15


    It's in the Stark Mounds, in southern Geoff.
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

    Angrimm [TWN]
    DUN#70 - 59,61
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    crash72ndst
    Apprentice Greytalker


    Joined: May 11, 2012
    Posts: 5

    PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Rough location of Angrimm Reply with quote

    Angrimm is located in the Underdark under the Hellfurnaces. It is a couple miles away (by tunnel) from the north shore of the Sunless Sea, and about 3 miles ESE "as the crow" flies" from the Cloaker Rift. I do not know the exact map coordinates.
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough location of Angrimm Reply with quote

    crash72ndst wrote:
    Angrimm is located in the Underdark under the Hellfurnaces. It is a couple miles away (by tunnel) from the north shore of the Sunless Sea, and about 3 miles ESE "as the crow" flies" from the Cloaker Rift. I do not know the exact map coordinates.


    Close enough. Thanks!
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

    Arcana City [TWN]
    UA - 21
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    rasgon
    GreySage


    Joined: Aug 03, 2001
    Posts: 3007
    Location: Michigan

    PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough location of Angrimm Reply with quote

    crash72ndst wrote:
    Angrimm is located in the Underdark under the Hellfurnaces. It is a couple miles away (by tunnel) from the north shore of the Sunless Sea, and about 3 miles ESE "as the crow" flies" from the Cloaker Rift. I do not know the exact map coordinates.


    It's likely in the area marked U1 on Maldin's underdark map.
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
    rasgon
    GreySage


    Joined: Aug 03, 2001
    Posts: 3007
    Location: Michigan

    PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

    JasonZavoda wrote:
    Arcana City [TWN]
    UA - 21


    I don't think this has ever been officially unearthed in the Greyhawk setting, but the context in Unearthed Arcana is that "the College of Magic in Arcana City" is a hypothetical target for a barbarian horde. Perhaps Arcana City is a superstitious barbarian name for the City of Greyhawk, and the College of Magic is that city's University of Magical Arts.

    The College of Wizardry book by Bruce Cordell details the magical college of Mathghamhna and suggests the northwesternmost spur of the Yatils as one possible location. The Chancellor of Mathghamhna is named Japheth Arcane.
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

    rasgon wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:
    Arcana City [TWN]
    UA - 21


    I don't think this has ever been officially unearthed in the Greyhawk setting, but the context in Unearthed Arcana is that "the College of Magic in Arcana City" is a hypothetical target for a barbarian horde. Perhaps Arcana City is a superstitious barbarian name for the City of Greyhawk, and the College of Magic is that city's University of Magical Arts.

    The College of Wizardry book by Bruce Cordell details the magical college of Mathghamhna and suggests the northwesternmost spur of the Yatils as one possible location. The Chancellor of Mathghamhna is named Japheth Arcane.


    That's good for a reference point. Yatils it will be.
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

    Armaran [TWN]
    WGS2 - 43,44
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    rasgon
    GreySage


    Joined: Aug 03, 2001
    Posts: 3007
    Location: Michigan

    PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

    JasonZavoda wrote:
    Armaran [TWN]
    WGS2 - 43,44


    "Located at location Y2-32 on the poster map in The WORLD OF GREYHAWK® boxed set."
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

    rasgon wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:
    Armaran [TWN]
    WGS2 - 43,44


    "Located at location Y2-32 on the poster map in The WORLD OF GREYHAWK® boxed set."


    That would be in the Hold of Stonefist I believe
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

    Aroks Landing [TWN]
    SLV - 7,47
    TSB - IC
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    rasgon
    GreySage


    Joined: Aug 03, 2001
    Posts: 3007
    Location: Michigan

    PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

    JasonZavoda wrote:
    Aroks Landing [TWN]
    SLV - 7,47
    TSB - IC


    On the coast of Woolly Bay, northwest of Hardby.
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

    rasgon wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:
    Aroks Landing [TWN]
    SLV - 7,47
    TSB - IC


    On the coast of Woolly Bay, northwest of Hardby.


    Any indication if it is an independent town or under the control of Hardby or a nation?
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    rasgon
    GreySage


    Joined: Aug 03, 2001
    Posts: 3007
    Location: Michigan

    PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

    JasonZavoda wrote:
    Any indication if it is an independent town or under the control of Hardby or a nation?


    Slavers doesn't say specifically, but there's more detail in Dungeon #109, page 107. "The real power in Arok's Landing is the Shipwright's Guild, and by extension, the [Hardby] Merchants' Alliance. The Alliance has begun to move its operations here, out from under the watchful gaze of the Hardby garrison and its spies."

    The Hardby Merchants' Alliance was the ruling body of Hardby from 517 CY to 582 CY, when the Directing Oligarchy of Greyhawk appointed a military council to control the town. [From the Ashes Campaign Book, 17; Dungeon #109, page 96.]

    One way of looking at it is that pre-Wars, Arok's Landing was controlled by Hardby, and post-Wars it's more under the control of Hardby than Hardby itself is. It's a center of resistance by the deposed Merchants' Alliance against Greyhawk rule.
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

    rasgon wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:
    Any indication if it is an independent town or under the control of Hardby or a nation?


    Slavers doesn't say specifically, but there's more detail in Dungeon #109, page 107. "The real power in Arok's Landing is the Shipwright's Guild, and by extension, the [Hardby] Merchants' Alliance. The Alliance has begun to move its operations here, out from under the watchful gaze of the Hardby garrison and its spies."

    The Hardby Merchants' Alliance was the ruling body of Hardby from 517 CY to 582 CY, when the Directing Oligarchy of Greyhawk appointed a military council to control the town. [From the Ashes Campaign Book, 17; Dungeon #109, page 96.]

    One way of looking at it is that pre-Wars, Arok's Landing was controlled by Hardby, and post-Wars it's more under the control of Hardby than Hardby itself is. It's a center of resistance by the deposed Merchants' Alliance against Greyhawk rule.


    Excellent. I added the Dungeon 109 reference.
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    JasonZavoda
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac


    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 179

    PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

    Arrowstrand (Pop 650)[TWN][BTL]
    IVID
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    DMPrata
    Master Greytalker


    Joined: May 12, 2005
    Posts: 839
    Location: Woonsocket, RI, USA

    PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

    JasonZavoda wrote:
    Arrowstrand (Pop 650)[TWN][BTL]
    IVID

    I placed Arrowstrand in hex X-54, 40 leagues east of Eastfair.
    Back to top
    View user's profile Send private message
    Display posts from previous:   
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

    Jump to:  

    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum


    Canonfire phpBB2 theme by Jakob Persson (http://www.eddingschronicles.com).
    Powered by phpBB © 2001 phpBB Group
    All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Stone textures by Patty Herford
    Ported for PHP-Nuke by nukemods.com
    Forums ©


    Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

    Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!


    Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

    PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.25 Seconds