JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Rot an elf forest and afflict the elves
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Rot an elf forest and afflict the elves
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:49 pm  
    Rot an elf forest and afflict the elves

I'm thinking of a scenario is which Zuggtomy (or possibly FR's god Moander, whom I may import to WoG) rots an elfin forest and afflicts the elves living there with a nasty disease.

Where do you guys think would be the most fitting or fun place in the Flanaess for this situation?
    GreySage

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:56 am  

I'd probably go with the Vesve on the border of the lands of Zuggtmoy's ally Iuz. Lots of elves there (see The Marklands).
    GreySage

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:36 am  

You could make that your explanation for The Defiled Glades, though I think there may be a canon explanation you'd have to ignore.

SirXaris

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:24 am  

I believe the Defiled Glades were created by the magical assaults used on both sides (Iuz vs. "Good Guys") during the Greyhawk Wars. The intense magic blasted vast regions, somewhat like a concentrated region of the Invoked Devastation.

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:20 pm  

I agree with other members that the Vesve is probably your best bet location wise. You could also incorporate the Chain Madness spell available to Priests of Iuz as a nasty second form of attack. The close association between Zuggtmoy and Iuz would let you easily incorporate the forces of Iuz into your storyline.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:02 am  

The Vesve is an obvious choice, but Demon Lords are not beholden to just one area. I mean, the Temple of Elemental Evil was rather a long ways away from the Land of Iuz and in the heart of opposition country, and the initial flaming eye and geometric elemental temple emblems characters encounter don't point to Iuz or Zuggtmoy at all.

Instead, you might try an elven village somewhere along the Welkwood/Suss border where a cult of Zuggtmoy is unknowingly active (remnants of old Zuggy forces who fled the Battle of Emridy Meadows or who left before then). Or you could go much farther afield and set then up in the Dreadwood, Grandwood, Adri Forest or even the Rieuwood. Sunndi is all about the pointy-eared folk, so I prefer the latter. That way players shouldn't automatically know what is up. You set it in the Vesve and everyone will know the source of the smut fungus...or whatever. Set it elsewhere, making sure that symptomatic things are not too overtly Zuggtmoy'd out, and you should have some additional intrigue value.

You might start off with disease, either caused by (or just made worse by) Zuggtmoy influence, and so some might thing Incabulos or another power is influencing things. Depends on what kind of adventure you wan to run, how much depth you want it to have, and how obvious you want the identity of the antagonist(s) to be.

Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:29 am  

I came upon this thread while searching the forums for "Dreadwood" and wonder if any of you have developed the "Neheli plague" (i.e., the disease that has afflicted arcane spell casters in Keoland for centuries, ever since Neheli seers explored the ruins of Valadis) to afflict the Dreadwood sylvan olves.

A strain of it afflicted the Viscounty of Salinmoor around CY 490 and mutated into a general plague, which the Dreadwalkers reportedly had a hand in ending under a pogrom against "witches," which makes me wonder if it has ever afflicted the woodsmen, olves, noniz, and hobniz of the Dreadwood—and also how Incabulous figures into the destruction of House Malhel (if at all), along with his influence in and around the Hool Marshes.
    GreySage

Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:17 pm  

mtg wrote:
    I came upon this thread while searching the forums for "Dreadwood" and wonder if any of you have developed the "Neheli plague" (i.e., the disease that has afflicted arcane spell casters in Keoland for centuries, ever since Neheli seers explored the ruins of Valadis) to afflict the Dreadwood sylvan olves.

As I said in the pandemic thread, Samwise wrote an article about House Neheli and the Plague of Madness here on Canonfire!

Nulvayahar, a plague detailed in the 2nd edition accessory Country Sites, is an affliction of nightmares and madness that only affects those of elven blood. It's not impossible it's connected to the disease said to be afflicting the elves of the Silverwood, or even the Neheli disease (since House Neheli is thought to have elven blood).
    CF Admin

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:36 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    As I said in the pandemic thread, Samwise wrote an article about House Neheli and the Plague of Madness here on Canonfire!

Nulvayahar, a plague detailed in the 2nd edition accessory Country Sites, is an affliction of nightmares and madness that only affects those of elven blood. It's not impossible it's connected to the disease said to be afflicting the elves of the Silverwood, or even the Neheli disease (since House Neheli is thought to have elven blood).

Interesting. After reviewing the Samwise article to which you linked and comparing it with his Grand Sheldomar Timeline, Part I, I see that I had conflated the plague of the CY 480s–500s—which Samwise held to originate in the Rushmoors—with the "original" Neheli plague that emerged in CY -279, after King Lorgyr I (The Seer) returned from the Dreadwood.

For Samwise, whether originating from the former heart of the Whispered One's empire or deep within the Dreadwood at Valadis, the Neheli plague(s) appear to derive from Vecna—or at least he seems to have mediated them . . .

I think that Incabulous is their ultimate source, but the Neheli disease also evokes themes like undeath and madness as contagion. In turn, this makes me wonder if the original strain might relate to failed means to attain lichdom.

Nulvayahar strikes me as another iteration of this evil. Did Living Greyhawk ever develop the disease afflicting the olves of the Silverwood?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:03 pm  

I read this thread yesterday, but wanted to see how it developed a bit/not seed an idea. Wink

Incabulos is a great candidate for the plague origin (the symptoms practically copy his portfolio even; maybe a little too obviously Laughing).

I see Incabulos as being active, but in a very subtle manner, and his followers would follow that M.O. Not that evil cults don't already hide everywhere, but then Incabulos followers would be particularly careful/wily. They might hide in plain sight, but not in any position that draws much attention. They might operate in very small cells (akin to hag covens), if not individually most of the time, and seldom meet in larger numbers.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: