JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Warnes Starcoat
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Warnes Starcoat
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:18 am  
    Warnes Starcoat

I was just doing some research regarding the Urnst States and came across a contradiction in Warnes Starcoat's origins.

Return of the Eight, p.59 states:

"Warnes was born fifty years ago (535CY?), the oldest of five children in the County of Urnst near the border with the Bandit Kingdoms. As a boy, he designed a complex defense to protect the family farm. It attracted the attention of a noble in Radigast City, who arranged for him to become a wizard‘s apprentice."

Meanwhile, the later Living Greyhawk Journal #0, p.11 states:

"The man who would become Warnes Starcoat was born 57 years ago (534CY?) in the city of Leukish to merchant parents of moderate wealth and influence. When he came of age, being the third son of four and showing some inclination toward scholarly pursuits rather than matters mercantile, Warnes was sent south to the old city of Seltaren. There his education began in earnest at the Wizardholme of Urnst, a small magical society and school founded by wandering Suel mages many centuries ago."

Does anyone know if there's a specific reason for the difference or is it just one of those many Greyhawk contradictions?
    GreySage

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:45 am  

"The man who would become Warnes Starcoat was born..." is such a strange phrasing. If you're going to be precious and emphasize that he wasn't who he'd eventually grow to be, I think it's more likely that he was born as the baby who would become Warnes Starcoat. But it's amusing to imagine him being born as a full-grown man.

Moore's "Warnes was born" is simpler and better.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:24 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    "The man who would become Warnes Starcoat was born..." is such a strange phrasing. If you're going to be precious and emphasize that he wasn't who he'd eventually grow to be, I think it's more likely that he was born as the baby who would become Warnes Starcoat. But it's amusing to imagine him being born as a full-grown man.

That's because he was named Warren Dungsweeper but later changed it.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:19 am  

rasgon wrote:

Haha & in that version I'm surprised his poor mother is able to go on to have another child after man-baby Warnes.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:37 am  

I've attempted a compromise of sorts;

535CY – The future archmage Warnes is born (the first of 5 children) to a prosperous farming family living on the County of Urnst's border with the Bandit Kingdoms.

c.548CY – The young Warnes's ingenuity reaches the attention of a noble in Radigast City. After meeting the gifted boy & hearing of his recent plan that thwarted a bandit raid, the noble uses his contacts in the Duchy of Urnst to arrange for Warnes to receive arcane training at the Wizardholme of Urnst in Seltaren where he quickly excels.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:23 am  

rasgon wrote:
    "The man who would become Warnes Starcoat was born..." is such a strange phrasing.

If I recall, he adopted the name "Starcoat" after the item he found (or maybe created). I want to say that was in the Isle of the Ape adventure, but I don't have that handy.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: