JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Heironeous
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Heironeous
    Master Greytalker

Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:48 pm  
    Heironeous

While discussing Heironeous tonight, a thought occurred to me.

At birth, Heironeous was bathed in Meersalm which made his skin invulnerable.

So you might say that Meersalm is the original . . .

Axe Body Spray

Also, Heironeous is the son of Arnd of Tdon and Johydee the Hidden Empress.

Hextor is the son of Arnd by an unnamed Orc female.
    GreySage

Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:38 am  

Incorrect. Her name was Gonk. The orcish tradition of not naming their daughters is actually a relatively recent one, and mostly only persisted during the dynasty of Sahgorim the Officious among the western Lortmils tribes (225 CY-412 CY), and that of Hebub the Inglorious in the eastern Bone March (508 CY-576 CY). Unfortunately, the popularity of Maescicus of Fairwain's Survey of Orcish Traditions and the vulgar romance Saga of the Nameless have contributed to the common human belief that no orc woman has ever had a name.

But Gonk did have a name, and her spirit is even worshiped as a hero-goddess by certain tribes in the Rakers. She is said to have a place of honor in Hextor's court in Acheron.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:27 pm  

I wrote the story up this morning.
    And decided Hextor's mother was Johydee's half-orc sister, Alia.
    But your version looks good too.
    GreySage

Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:36 pm  

I thought that Stern Alia was the mother of Heironeous, Hextor, and a third son that died (don't remember his name).

I don't recall where I read that, but I'm thinking it had something to do with Froideval's work and the far western portion of Oerik.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:30 pm  

That was the origin of my mad musings - we were discussing the origins of Alia and who the fathers of Heironeous and Hextor were.
    Summarizing:

Alia first appears in C2 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan.
    She appears in the Player's Guide to Greyhawk as an "official" Power of Oerth but only as an aspect of Allitur.
    In the 3E Chainmail products, she is developed fully and the relationship to Heironeous and Hextor is created, along with a third Lawful Neutral Power of War named Stratis who has been killed.

I choose to develop things in a different manner.
    GreySage

Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:33 am  

Samwise wrote:
    I wrote the story up this morning.
    And decided Hextor's mother was Johydee's half-orc sister, Alia.
    But your version looks good too.

Ah, I see you subscribe to the theories of Jayce of Wintershiven, who claimed in his Heresies of the Raker Tribes (423 CY) that "Gonk" wasn't a proper name at all, but merely the first numeral in the counting system favored by local orc and xvart groups. It was common, he claimed, for the local orcs to assign their daughters, in lieu of names, numbers by birth order: Gonk, Skronk, Donk, Kablonk, Jerry, Flonk, Nyonk, Gonk-da, Skronk-da, and so on. He went on to say that reports of a hero-goddess known as Gonk actually referred to the firstborn of an ancient euroz chieftain who became the lover of Arnd the Defender in the Far West Oeridian kingdom of Tdon, and that furthermore this firstborn assumed the Oeridian name Alia after joining a culture that allowed women to bear names other than a numeral and their patronymic.

His errors, however, are obvious once you recognize the well-attested fact that the humanoid tribes of the Rakers don't use a base-7 counting system! Their numbers are base-10, like those of most other peoples. What Jayce was mistaking for a counting system was actually the days of the week, which the orcs named after their seven patron hero-gods ("Da" is the name of their second month).
    Master Greytalker

Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:40 pm  

It was a reference to the weird heresies in Pontlyver and the far, far, far west where they assert that Alia is the mother of Haironeous as well as Hextorc, and some other weird guy called Stratego or something.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: