Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - human races in greyhawk and their earth equivalents
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    human races in greyhawk and their earth equivalents
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:03 am  
    human races in greyhawk and their earth equivalents

There is dispute in my campaign on some of the human races. We have the material, but there is disagreement on the complexion descriptions. What I need is some earthly examples. For example, are the Baklunish arabic in appearence? And I don't really know what olive is in color. Any help?
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:24 am  

There is no "canon" answer to this for Boccob to provide, I have moved the topic to Greyhawk General for discussion.

Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:59 pm  

Hi, new poster here. :)

My description to new players has always been:

Bakluni: Arabic
    Oerid: Mediterranean, perhaps Italian or old Spanish pre-Moors invasion
    Flan: American Indian
    Suel: Northern Europeans, perhaps Scandinavian
    Olman: of course, Meso-American
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:22 pm  
    And...

Okay so that is their physical appearance sketched out, but what about their character traits and attitudes and their real world equivalents.

As a starter I might suggest the Suel way of thinking is akin to mid 1930's Germany (pre-war). There was a lot of mysticism and occult following, heavy influenced by a strong racial angle. I feel that this would help aid a Sueloise player to flesh out their background emotionally.

What about the other human races...?

BTW please no racial slurs or arguments Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:14 pm  

Hmmm....here goes:

Bakluni: like the Arabs, highly cultured, since their culture is old and not quite as devasted as the Suel. Clannish, with bloodlines honored and traced waaayyyy back. Highly literate. Tend to favor building lasting things.

Oeridians: conquerers. Need to expand and envelop. Like Romans and Greeks, highly literate like the Bakluni, their scholars love to collect old materials. Tend toward decadence.

Flan: stoic, nomadic in many ways. Warrior-proud. Also clannish and with strong bloodline knowledge.

Suel: the 1930s analogy you use is a minority for the Germans of that time, but by golly it fits well for the Suel! :) Mystical, race-orientated, inbreeding just might be catching up with them...

Olmans: attuned to and fearful of nature. A need to appease the gods that goes way beyond the other races. Once upon a time, they were fairly civilized and built some good cities, but all things must come to an end.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:37 pm  
    thx

thank you for the replies. I appreciate you people taking the time to respond. Merry Christmas
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: