Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - OJ16 TOEE article: Who or what is a Frnak?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Oerth Journal
    OJ16 TOEE article: Who or what is a Frnak?
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:06 am  
    OJ16 TOEE article: Who or what is a Frnak?

There's two references to the work of "Sage and Frnak" in the article:

The Temple of Elemental Evil, from the Rise of Iuz to His Release
    by Stylianos Scarlatos with Scott Casper

Quote:
    (8) The intelligence in quotation marks is from Sargen’s
    ʺIuz the Evilʺ (Murlynd volume name), pp. 5, cataloged in
    the Great Library with no. 9399. The questionably sane
    mage‐scholar, once a prisoner of the Temple of Elemental
    Evil near Hommlet for philosophical divergence, has penned
    astounding analysis about the Greyhawk Wars, and the
    related state of affairs of central and eastern Flanaess (see
    also, Sage and Frnak, ʺThe Temple of Elemental Evilʺ
    (Murlynd volume name), Great Library, no. 9147, pp. 114).

Who and what are Sargen, Sage and Frnak in campaign? Frnak sounds orcish to me! In fact I wanted to create a halforc character by that name since a long time...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:39 am  

I believe Sargen refers to Carl Sargent author of several GH texts during the FTA era. Sage I think refers to Sean K Reynolds who authored the Scarlet Brotherhood text during the revival of GH 98. Finally Frnak is probably Frank Metzner the author (more or less) of Temple of Elemental Evil.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:51 am  

The article is in the Greyhawk Meta-Text Onomastics/superset style per the related canonfire! article by Tzelios and the New Approach to Canon GVD canonfire! thread.

A Murlynd Volume is in the form of Murlynd's library volumes in his abode accessed via Castle Greyhawk (see Dungeonland scenario). These volumes actually are in the form of Greyhawk texts we read on Earth.

Sargen is the best metanym for Carl Sargent. Sargen is a true canon character, see T1-4 p.114.

Sage, another canon character, the Savant Sage, is one of the metanyms for Gary Gygax (another one is Zagig). He is the first author of the Murlynd Volume T1-4. The Savant Sage is Zagyg's avatar, but I will have to prove that in a sequel.

Frnak is the metanym for Frank Mentzer. It has appeared in printed text but cannot recall the source at the moment. This was revealed by Mentzer himself in PPP board. The full metanym is Frnak the Jer of Men, and he is of unknown origin (i.e., form Earth, since Jer is Judish title).

Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:05 am  

I meant the personas in campaign...

I.e. Sage is a human lvl5 expert/sage from Greyhawk City late 4th century or something like that.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:20 am  
    Well, ya know...

>I meant the personas in campaign...

>I.e. Sage is a human lvl5 expert/sage from Greyhawk City late 4th century or something like that.<

Knowing Stylianos, he's probably working on an article just like that...

~Scott C.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:35 am  

Thanael wrote:
    I meant the personas in campaign...

I.e. Sage is a human lvl5 expert/sage from Greyhawk City late 4th century or something like that.

I gave you the reference for Sargen, full stats are in T1-4, p.114.

The Savant Sage is an avatar of Zagyg, so feel free to make him powerful. There are stats for avatars of Zagyg in canon I suppose.

Frnak, the Jer of Men, we have not created him yet. Well, actually it is not our responsibility, he is copyright of Frank Mentzer. If Mentzer asks us to do it we will do it.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:56 am  

So what is "the Jer of Men"? Is Frank Mentzer of German decent?
    I might be forced to steal the idea (well the Frnak part is an idead i already had some time ago...) and do my own version of Fnrak of the Jer of Men, being from Germany and all and my first name being Frank.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:41 am  

Jer is Jewish, I do not know much though. I first thought it was something like a Czar or Tsar, but Mentzer corrected me that it is Jer like in Jeremiah I suppose. I am sorry I cannot help you more than that. If you get more info on Jer of Men, please forward it to me. You may find Mentzer in Dragonsfoot, I do not go there often, I've been thrice there in 3 years.

Any more queries?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:47 am  

Thanael wrote:
    I might be forced to steal the idea (well the Frnak part is an idead i already had some time ago...) and do my own version of Fnrak of the Jer of Men, being from Germany and all and my first name being Frank.

Please contact first Mentzer before writting anything since it is his copyright. Please send your write-up to me as well just to help you out in this, I have some experience in this onomastics subject.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: