Username Password
   or Create an Account
HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess
Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Le Noir Faineant
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked ... Shocked ... Shocked Shocked Shocked

When will you have EVERYTHING ready?
DMPrata
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna, I'm as awed by your maps as everyone else here. I have one minor nitpick (of course): "Woolly Bay" is misspelled.
Anced_Math
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woesinger,

I think your general understanding of IP is fairly accurate. That said, I think I still have the email from LG Gran March which contained the WOTC legal department reply that we could not use Living Greyhawk material in any way, shape or form. The LG Gran March Triad indicated that they would follow WOTC's lead. They specifically included Barony Names, Persons, Places, etc., created by the Triad.

It did not have any statements about the Greyhawk Material inherited from TSR that we generally talk about on this site. As they have exhibited a policy of not pursuing those who use such material (such as myself, you and Anna) I am assuming it is ok, provided we do not attempt to make a profit from that material or derivatives thereof.

Why they restricted the rights thereof in such a manner, I do not know. But I know that they did, and are within their rights to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Woesinger
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I did not know that. Seems I can go to bed now, as I've learned my new thing for today already. Happy
Serolf
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna,

You said in a earlier post, that you have modified the 2 available maps, in order to have the river and/or road names a little bigger to be printer compliant. Are the modified maps available yet ?

Thanks again to share your wonderful work. Laughing
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will everything be ready? Not this year and not next either but hopefully Iíll have most of the Flanaess mapped in three years. Iím sure Iíll never finish mapping Greyhawk, when Iím fed up with the big maps I can always turn my attention to cities and villages :-)

Woolly Bay spelling has been corrected for the next update, thanks DM Prata!

The LG content issue: Iíve moved all the LG content to separate layers which Iíll keep for my own enjoyment until itís possible to publish it.

Yes there will be new versions of both area 59 and 72 up next week with larger text on rivers and roads. Iím on vacation and my laptop isnít really up to the job of handling the work on the full map. So Iím constructing terrain and researching the Bright Desert and Onnwall for area 73.

Iíll get home to my desktop mid next week so Iíll be able to render and upload new versions of 59 and 72 then, and hopefully have 73 ready the week after that.
Coriendal
Novice
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: questions about map/layers Reply with quote

I am new to mapping and could not figure out where to find "layers" in the PDF file to turn on or off. What I would love to do is remove the large writing, shield symbols, and nation boundaries. The map is phenomenol and my vision of Greyhawk is slightly different from Canon. For example, I would take Celene and include all of the Welkwood and Gnarley forest in the nation boundary. I would also rename some nations, making them Elven or Dwarven, etc. and include surrounding forests or mountains as part of the nation. The map you did is incredibly detailed and I love the city and location symbols and names and would use them. I just was wondering if the nation names, shield symbols and national boundaries would be removable? I am currently considering buying CC3 as it has just came out. I am pretty sure it could take me more than a year of hit and miss to do a map I would be happy with on my own. Especially since I will be learning from scratch since this would be my first map making attempt.

Dan
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coriendal

It took me years of misses and catastrophies to learn to make the maps I do now, and I'm going to start my struggle with CC3 too soon.

You can show/hide the layers in the PDF file using the layer tab in acrobat reader. You should be able to find the tabs to the left, if not you can find them under the meny view, navigation tabs and layers. Then you can turn off the things you want to hide.

Anna
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LG is a can of worms. Due to the lack of open sourcing the material, who is to know exactly what is RPGA bought, what is privately owned, etc., which is really too bad for nearly all who were involved or are interested in LG. I guess you'll just have to go with the basic map and add from there any things that you have permission to add.

Its really too bad the Greyhawk communiuty is not more united with its permission and in its openess to share. As soon as people begin to speak in legal-ese bad things tend to come about.

Also, what program are you using to create the maps?
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I canít agree more with you on the legal-ese Cebrion. Iíll keep the LG content private for the time being. Hopefully these issues will settle over time and a more sharing culture can evolve.

To create and render the terrain I use Bryce5.5 and then I use Corel Graphics X3, Photo-Paint for bitmap editing and Corel Draw to make the final map.

Most of the terrain I create myself from scratch but for some I use DEM-files (DEM is a standard for terrain in CAD and other applications) from various sources as a base to work from.

Anna
PaulN6
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we start up a thread or board where LG contribitors can signify their express authority for map makers and article writers to use names and locations in this way?
mtg
CF Admin
CF Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, that might be best done with a brief statement at the bottom of a poster's contribution--something like, "[AUTHOR] hereby grants permission for others to use this creative expression in further creative endeavors so long as the use is not commercial and attribution is given."

Note, this is not legal advice but only a simple suggestion. If you're interested in learning more about "copyleft," see http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/; and http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#OtherLicenses.

Remember, online GH fans have been working in the realm of ethics--in the shadow of the law--since the bad old days when TSR freaked out about the digitization of information (in the mid-1990s). Over the years, Wizards has promulgated various policies, e.g., the d20 license, the policy about converting modules to 3e, and some regarding the LGH.

The company and the policies change, as does our online GH fan community, but my rule of thumb is to respect others' works, referencing them when I mention their works and asking for permission when I make a new work that substantially incorporates what they've shared.
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve updated the area 59 and 72 maps with new versions, with numerous changes. Oceans have more depths, corrected spelling of woolly bay (thanks DM Prata!). Addition and corrections of the Hardby area (thanks Woesinger!)

Iíve also removed all LG content until Iíve got the triad approval to publish it.

Enlarged the typing for roads and rivers to help them look better on printouts.

Work on area 73 is ongoing and hopefully Iíll be able to publish in by the end of next week.

Anna
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated area 59 with provincial heraldry of Furyondy (thanks Cebrion) and Kronhill Gnomes.

JPG and PDF: https://lagring.storegate.se/user/Files/Browse.aspx?PartnerID=65&Share=ecbd5bc7-8fc3-4d6b-95bf-20160881cd3f&Folder=753149

Anna

Last edited by Anna on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:13 am; edited 4 times in total
Wolfsire
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I particularly like the coloring of Mistmarsh. I cannot wait to see the Hool.
Crag
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly a work of art Anna Shocked

I am actually drooling, plz continue to post your maps; don't let minor things like eating and sleeping delay you.

It would be cruel Wink
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To prove to you that I'm still on the job Crag I present a screenshot of what I'm working on Cool

Anna
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I thought you would like to see a preview of area 73:

Itís still a work very much in progress, but I will publish a first version in a day or so.

Thanks again for all help and encouragement.

Anna

Last edited by Anna on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Woesinger
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeet! Happy
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Area 73 map is available in its first version. Iím sure there will be corrections and additions later on but itís ready to be scrutinized by your expert eyes. The various humanoid tribes on the Pomarj have heraldry now, at least the ones that I have found descriptions of their signs.

There are updated versions of area 59 and 72 as well, mainly changes to sea and heraldry.

Full size JPG and PDF versions: https://lagring.storegate.se/user/Files/Browse.aspx?PartnerID=65&Share=ecbd5bc7-8fc3-4d6b-95bf-20160881cd3f&Folder=753149

Anna

Last edited by Anna on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:15 am; edited 3 times in total
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Greyhawk maps to date! Keep up the great work!!!
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot Cebrion Happy

I try my best to continue to impress you all with more maps, but now I have to take some time for corrections. I have receaved lot's of interesting and demanding responses. I will post new versions as soon as I've made corrections.

Started research for new areas. Next on the list are Irongate, Urnst, Nyrond and Ulek for the next round of new terrain.

Anna
MichaelSandar
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna,

As always, these are excellent work. I can't say most GH'ers have seen better anywhere.

Keep up the good work.
shapecharge
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna

I have been coming to this site for years even though I am just recently a member (took me awhile to trust the internet, still don't use credit cards on line). I must say that this is some of the best maps and material I've seen anywhere. Been overseas for awhile so have'nt been playing D&D or been to this site for a long time, but was looking at re-getting my campaign going
My current campaign takes place in and around the Loftwood but I may have to start fresh, in your areas that are done just to get the chance to use one of your maps.
Excellent work!!!
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irongate! Shocked Oh, the gauntlet has well and truly been thrown down! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 2 of 28

Jump to: