Username Password
   or Create an Account
HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess
Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVDammerung
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anna,

Wonderful work, as always. I couple of thoughts to share.

You have a label "Yan-Ti Lands of H-Thiss'Kaa." I believe it should be "Yuan -Ti," referring the the monster.

It may be endemic to maps in complex areas such as this, but

1) Melkot and surrounds do not appear "live," as in colored, on either the Yeomanry Map or on the Sea Princes Map. Maybe they will be part of the HellFurnaces map?

2) The confluence of the Javan and Hool Rivers is very hard to see. While technically not party of the Hold, excluding it makes the map harder to comprehend at a glance.

3) The extent of the Hool Marshes seems off, particularly above the Hool River. Shouldn't the Marshes nearly abut both Melkot and The Tors? I'm looking at the 4 Part Dragon Magazine Map.

Lastly, a purely aesthetic note. This map, unlike any other, looks somewhat "muddy," "cloudy," or generally indistinct. The relief and the colors are not as crisp. Maybe this is intentional to suggest the "heat" in the area or a hot environment? Or maybe its just me.

I really like the sound of your custom map idea, that you mentioned upthread. I eagerly await details.

BTW - Will you be completing all the smaller atlas map sections, or are you permanently moving to just realm maps now?

Best regards,

GVD Smile
GVDammerung
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Anna,

Of note, my previous post concerned the Hold of the Sea Princes Map.

Thinking my eyes might be going on me with respect to the "muddy" note I made above, I did a comparison with the 2nd Keoland map from your site and found - "The Cryp of Thestos" on the upper edge of the Dreadwood. Should this be "Crypt?"

Then again, the Thestos Cryps might just be representing, letting Gradsul Bloods know what they gonna get they try to get all up in the Dreadwood. Wink Laughing

Best regards,

GVD Happy
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and answer all the great input GVD!

You are totally right with Yuan-Ti and the Crypt of Thestos, spelling is not a talent I can be blamed for, so I'm so glad you checking my work!

Melkot deserves its own map and I'm going to send it to Maldin first for approval and ask him for herladry so it will be more complete.

The fuzziness in Hool and the river confluence is not your eyes. It comes as a side effect from the use of layer effects to make the river look like they are depressed into the land a bit, the effect creates a "ditch" through the marsh which look funny. I'm aware of the problem and will try and improve it. I will publish an updated map soon.

The extent of the Hool Marshes, youre right I need to exend the marshy area closer to Melkot. Will update that!

Custom maps to suit individual campaign variations are a must if you make a detailed maps of a setting like Greyhawk. You have different ages back in time to game in, and each campaign evolves differently where borders shift and things get burned to ashes etc.
Hawker's also seem to be a stubborn bunch who has strong opinions that needs to be catered for, so to layer maps so they can be customized have been something I have designed into my work from the start.
But it is also best to work out a base map to customize from, which is what I'm doing now. Even if you want to play a game set in before the Wars you might like to use the settlements and other details but shift the borders around and reinstate some of the ruined cities for example.

Until I upgraded my hardware and started to work in Photoshop and Illustrator CS6 64-bit, I had to work on a small piece at a time. Now I can have to whole map in one big document so I started to divide the task to what work best to research, one realm at a time. The latest series of maps are only preview maps, a way for me to receive as much input and criticism as possible, to weed out as many error as possible before anything goes into print.

I can export any part of the map I like as a jpg or layered PDF or play with it more for special effects. I have some really cool ideas for some really cool maps Wink

I'm also going to do some major updates to the parts I mapped back in the 90's. I will start with Verbobonc. the Wild Coast, Pomarj and Verbobonc are also in need for some revision before print. So they will also be presented as preview maps for criticism the coming weeks. I'll jump a bit back and forth between mapping new places and doing updates, it gets a bit too tedious to do the same thing for more than a few days. The Amedio Hellfurnaces and Sea of dust are enormous.

Here is a small teaser Smile

Thanks again for all your Support!

Anna
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Anna! It's such an incredible project. Happy

SirXaris
GVDammerung
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna wrote:
Even if you want to play a game set in before the Wars you might like to use the settlements and other details but shift the borders around and reinstate some of the ruined cities for example.

This is exactly what excites me about your proposal for custom maps. After years (literally) of waffling back and forth, I have finally completely given up on the Greyhawk Wars. Too much of the development leaves me cold. I have also gone back to playing 1e. However, some of the GHWars detail, I do like. Being able to pick and choose as you suggest sounds perfect! Smile

You know - with technology what it is - one could imagine an RPG setting much as you describe - (1) base setting, fully mapped, (2) customized modifications (within some definition of reason) available to DMs and players at a reasonable cost, (3) future developments (products) of the base setting derived from customizations (sort of crowd sourced game design). Who knows Anna, one day WotC may call you up to the Big Leagues! Wink

Thank you for your responses! I appreciate all of your hard work!

GVD Smile
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful to see someone who thinks like I do, you're starting to see maps as an essential part of a game too Wink
I doubt WotC will come around on that soon, but I might be wrong. They might start to realize that they are more to publishing RPG's than printing books. I have a whole slew of ideas I'm going to try and realize in the coming years, customizing campaign maps on commission are only the beginning!

The following maps are on their way soon:
A first look at Amedio, the northern half at least
Sea Princes update, sharper and some added features
Verbobonc, a new and updated look at an old time favorite

Then their are more in the pipeline,... Hellfurnaces, Sea of Dust, Dry Steppes and the Sulhaut Mountains. Lots of things too keep me occupied Smile

Thanks again for all your help!
Anna
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a whole range of preview maps. I call them preview maps since there purpose is to weed out errors before anything goes into print or other type of publication.

First out is the Sea Princes:

Full size download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Sea%20Princes130707.jpg

Then it is south across Jeklea Bay to Sasserine and Cauldron:

Full size download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Sasserine%20Couldron130707.jpg

Now its time to take on the enorumous Amedio Jungle!

Full size download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Ameido%20northern130701.jpg

Full size download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Amedio%20Central130706.jpg

Full size download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Amedio%20southern130706.jpg

That was all new maps I had to show for now, but soon their will be time for the map I'm most proud of, the Tilvanot Peninsula Wink

Thanks again for all your support!

Anna
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about the political boundaries (red, dotted lines) around the various forts and cities in the Amedio. Did you use any sources for those areas, or are they your own best guesses as to the territory claimed/controlled by each point of civilization?

SirXaris
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its my interpretation that the Scarlet Brotherhood at least in the CY590s are not controlling the whole Amedio. They base their presence on coastal fortresses and make raids to collect slaves and various other resources back to the forts to the ship them back to their heartlands for use or selling.

I remember reading somewhere about fears of overstretching and that the SB empire was going into more of consolidation rather than conquest. So its my interpretation since details for Amedio are sketchy at best and not much is mentioned considering how wast it is.
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Anna! That's what I guessed, but wanted to be sure I hadn't missed a source for the Amedio. Smile

SirXaris
Le Noir Faineant
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Would you mind doing some comission work for this poor writer monkey?

I'd send a PM, but this way, you can simply write "no", without being impolite.
But I have been looking for a mapper for some time, and, well, I like your maps. A lot. Smile
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Noir Faineant wrote:
Annaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Would you mind doing some comission work for this poor writer monkey?

I'd send a PM, but this way, you can simply write "no", without being impolite.
But I have been looking for a mapper for some time, and, well, I like your maps. A lot. Smile

FYI
while Anna does visit us from time to time (which we all love) she is more responsive (I'm sure from being busy) on her site Located Here
Le Noir Faineant
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In contact with Anna. :) Thanks, Galen! :)
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Welcome Le Noir Faineant...
And to steal a template moniker from Lanthorn

Dark Lord Galen
Unworthy Paladin of the Cartographer Goddess

Wink
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be better to mention credits when each map section goes up, rather than waiting until everything is done. Do not go with something as vague as "various Living Greyhawk sources", or similar. If you don't know the specific person who might have done something (i.e. the source was a group project), just credit the source by name and those who worked on it, if known (i.e. "Living Greyhawk Gazetteer Map: Dennis Kauth, Rob Lazaretti, et al.").
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received widespread support during this from many Greyhawk fans and community members including several prominent creators of Greyhawk material. Thank you so much all of you who want me to share my maps with the Greyhawk community. It would be sad if only me and my gaming group would be the only ones to make use of it.

To credit all the sources for information is almost impossible and would create so much extra work for me that I have decided to not do it. I can rightly be criticized for it, but to do a map of this magnitude on a shoestring budget means you can't do everything to track down your sources and register them and list them. So I will make a long list of people that created Greyhawk and helped me over the years, to be included on the final map. During the 15 years I've been donging this I've received lots of comments, emails and forums posts, reviews etc. So far only one person have been negative and accused me of misusing his creations, and his contributions are very minor. The opposite, to give me the rights to put their settlements and names on the map have been the norm.

Now on to my latest updates!

Here is the first Full map PDF test:

It has layers and all the features on it, and the public layers are turned on. My private layers are there but initially turned off. It is 214MB in size and in order to achieve this I have down sampled the terrain from 600dpi to 50dpi. Hopefully its enough for you to use and check that everything are where it suppose to be, while still responsive on most computers.

It is a huge file with thousands of objects so it will require a decent machine to display, and it might take some time for the terrain to resample while panning and zooming. So please be patient and report errors.

You can get the file here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Flanaess%20Full%20map%20test%20130916.pdf

The Sultanate of Zeif preview map:

You can download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Zeif130909.jpg

Thanks again for your support!

Anna
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand, and this is certainly a tough gig that you signed up for. Some will be understanding, and some will not. Leaving out something that further complicates things is always an option too. I guess you will have to go with a more general list of credits then, such as "various Living Greyhawk sources", etc., as that has apparently been deemed perfectly suitable for even those that would complain.

You have accomplished a huge amount over the last twelve months, so I guess that your new system has been working out well. Keep up the good work, and the full map is shaping up to look insanely awesome!!! Cool

Last edited by Cebrion on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna, your work is wonderful and much-appreciated.

Thank you. Smile

SirXaris
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto SX's rebuttal..... Your efforts have only added to the collective.....
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Happy

Here are something you should try: http://ghmaps.net/onlinemap/onlinemap.html

I'm sure you like it Exclamation
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna, I am sooo! happy for this map. When you finish that SE corner, I'm going to print the entire thing off and attach it to my living room ceiling. Happy

SirXaris
Anna
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a REALLY long time here is a first look at the whole map!!! Happy

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Flanaess%20Full%20map131027.pdf

It is a layered PDF map that is 245MB in size, so it will take some time to download and a proper PDF viewer to use. It is just a preview so it still needs corrections and things might be missing here and there. But it covers the whole area I set out to map 15 years ago. So now I need your help to spot things that still needs attention.

Thanks again for all your help!
Anna
Shadrach
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Anna! What a thrill to see it all together, and get a real appreciation for the Flanaess, and for all the work it took you to reach this point.

I will do my best to scour the minutiae, and find anything that might need correcting, although I'm sure ill find myself lost in the wonder of it all before long.

My enduring gratitude for all your efforts!
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna, this is a work that you have every right to be very proud of accomplishing. Know that you have made every Greyhawk fan in the world very, very happy. Happy

SirXaris
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. If you are including adventure locales, the Forbidden City is located in the Pelisso Swamp of Hepmonaland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 25 of 27

Jump to: