#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sorcerer
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sorcerer
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:25 am  

I treat them as a newly classified type of magic-user. They've always been around, but until recently (ie, the release of 3E), no one recognized the difference in their spell-casting vs. wizards'.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:07 pm  

Wizards have always been rare in my campaign, sorcerers even more so, so it isn't a major problem. Same as dwarf wizards and halfling sorcerers - they're so rare that I don't have to explain their previous absence.

I was disappointed that the women of Hardby were not made into sorceresses since they have a hereditary background but I guess somebody took the decision to keep them as wizards.

I think Resbin Dren is the only high profile sorcerer, although I turned Kermin Mindbender into a sorcerer/mindbender/archmage mix as I though his search for apprentices with 'the Gift' screamed sorcerer.
    GreySage

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:40 am  

The Silent Ones of Keoland are sorcerers. Wizardry is a comparatively recent development on Oerth; it was created during the latter era of the Suel Imperium as a way of formally teaching inborn magical abilities to others.

In modern times, wizardry is probably more common, but Rhennee wise women, primitive witchdoctors, and derro savants are all examples of sorcerers.

Sorcerers in Keoland who aren't associated with the Silent Ones may experience some lingering prejudice.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:37 am  

I haven't seen enough interest in my players for sorcerer. To date since 3e came out no one has touched the class. It's place in Greyhawk seems better suited for NPC races too, like rasgon mentioned. Sorcerers as presented in the PHB doesn't quite work with the Silent Ones either. They are supposed to get their inborn magic from being dragon-blooded right? Anyhow IMO, the practicality of the sorcerer class has been made obsolete by the recent creation of the Warlock class.
    GreySage

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:07 am  

mortellan wrote:
    They are supposed to get their inborn magic from being dragon-blooded right?

That was one suggestion, but it's not required. The point is they have inborn magic - it could come simply from human bloodlines. You could be a sorcerer because you have the blood of the Mages of Power like Slerotin or Lendore running through your veins.

More recent books have emphasized the dragon-blood thing more, though, so a sorcerer without dragon blood might miss out on some feats and prestige classes.

The warlock class takes over the role of the sorcerer who gets powers from the infernal planes, but it doesn't work very well for those who want to be Rhennee vethas, or Silent Ones, or dragon-blooded whatevers.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:07 am  

They've added heritage options for sorcerers with celestial, fiendish, and fey bloodlines. They are nowhere near as developed as those for dragons as of yet.

Warlocks in no way replace sorcerers. They are significantly more limited in terms of powers they have access to, and they are vulnerable to having their primary ability utterly shut down by SR. That would leave them with a bunch of non-combat abilities (making and using any magic item), and whatever few special tricks they have.
    They are great villains, but I expect they'll always be secondary as PCs.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:07 pm  

Quote:
    They are significantly more limited in terms of powers they have access to, and they are vulnerable to having their primary ability utterly shut down by SR.
    Not entirely true. At mid-level an ability can be acquired by Warlocks that gets around the SR thing. And with everything else utterly vulnerable to eldritch blasts they should be severely more tempting at high levels than sorcerers.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: