Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sad News: Dungeon and Dragon are cancelled as print mags
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sad News: Dungeon and Dragon are cancelled as print mags
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:12 am  

I'll certainly go buying that first adventure path and the GM module scheduled for autumn. IMO, Paizo starting their new lines was overdue, and, aeeing what splendid authors work for them, things seem to look quite good.

BTW, for those looking for more oldschool/Greyhawk content, are you aware of the material RJK is releasing through PPP? - It's surely not official, and it surely doesn't match the production standards of WotC and Paizo, but it's as Greyhawk as one can have it these days. Smile

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:34 am  

Ironically I was about to let my subscription lapse because I wasn't really all that interested in the way the AP's were going.

I switched my sub over to Pathfinder and will see how it goes through the first few issues.

As far as WotC goes... I think they are reaching. Corporations don't make major changes if everything is looking rosy. As I speculated a couple of years ago, D&D online is a flop (compare to WoW's 8.5 million subscribers Laughing ) Eberron is not selling any better than FR and I think they are still a couple of years from 4th edition. This online thing is simply a companies way of throwing all the balls into the air and seeing where they land.

And I think what it boils down to is that Hasbro doesn't have the patience for the product lines that WotC offers. Smaller companies can make money from RPG's much more efficiently and don't have to worry as much about the steep production curve that I am sure is what Hasbro is looking for. They want everything to have a shelf life and profits curve similar to D&D minis now and Magic cards during the 90's.

If they can't get that from RPG's, they are shooting for the next best thing, an installed subscriber base that looks similar to the number of people playing WoW online. I just don't see that happening, WoW is an impulse mechanism that keeps people entertained over days worth of time. Sadly the biggest pool of people who would be a subscriber base for this content (the readers of Dungeon & Dragon) just became alienated, and I am sure in my cases switched over to Paizo's new product which will probably cost more than WotC online offering.

I think Hasbro will probably sell D&D at some point, and maybe the whole entity of WotC, time will tell. If 4th edition comes out like a lead balloon I would dare say it would be the only sane thing for them to do.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:11 pm  

Lead balloons rock!
    Wink
    Just today I got .my subscription renewal notice for Dungeon. Well, I was not planning on renewing anyway.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:00 am  

As a longtime lurker, and even longer-time GREYHAWK and AD&D player, I though this would be a good place to jump in.... 8)

Are there any plans, now that the magazine is running its course, for the collected issues NOT on the original Dragon Archive to be put out in some digital form? I have the original Archive, and it's the best overpriced eBay purchase I ever made. 8) I would love to get the rest of the magazine's run in a digital format, especailly becuase I want the series of articles that described ancient cities of our world in term of gaming ideas (I only have one issue....).

Anyway, as a former subscriber to DRAGON, I will be VERY sad to see it go.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:07 pm  

The question has been asked before, and while Erik wanted to do another compilation of Dragon on CD/DVD, there seemd to be issues with working out a deal to do so.

Given the current news, it seems very unlikely that it will ever happen unless WotC does it. Even then, I'm not holding my breath.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:48 am  
    A sad day indeed

It has been a while since I dropped my two cents in on anything here, but this is an event that provokes nostalgic emotions for some of us.

Seeing Dragon and Dungeon mags go away is equivalent to the passing of a good friend. For over 20 years I have been a shelf purchaser of each, picking and choosing the issues that provoked ideas and supplemented interests. Everything from the 'toons to the announcements of future events and releases has kept my enthusiasm for the game and genre always going. Like music, even to this day, the mags have always brought me back to a feeling of youth and joy, even through the haze of work and family life. It never even crossed my mind, that such an instution as they have become, would ever be gone. It is a sad day indeed.

While I was quite happy that WoTC purchased the D&D license to save it from extinction, there are always trade offs. Gaming started as a small business niche and has always flourished under smaller company ideals. To this day, gaming thrives off of the independent spirit that is associated with the small business game company and the creators that lead to their founding. All things come big circle, and I am confident, that D&D, in whatever form under whoevers leadership, will find a way to survive. I am only glad that there is a resource like Canonfire! to keep the part of it that we here love, alive and well.

Garnak

PS This will be my only cynical remark, but it has to be made. Ironic an online source like Canonfire! is what we here appreciate most, when I get the feeling that some are already disillusioned with WotC future online idea.
    CF Admin

Sun May 06, 2007 8:32 am  

I am rather pleased to hear this.

WoTC turns a blind eye to customer retention once again. They do hardly anything to gain new customers.

Just another step towards D&D eventually exchanging hands again. I am patient.

Heres to the hopes that Hasbro starts eyeballin the Printed dollars and it goes down. Way down. Plz plz plz.

Sun May 06, 2007 8:52 am  

Well, if that isnt a silver lining! I like it. I was (am) sad at the loss of Dungeon and Dragon. For the last 5 years I have run adventures almost exclusively from their pages. I simply have not had time to make my own.

However, the idea of D&D going into other hands also makes me very happy.
    Novice

Wed May 16, 2007 12:05 pm  

Anced_Math wrote:
    Most of us here have seen similar waves of stupidity in the past... it will pass, though we don't know how yet.

Hang around a bit.

Edited by Duicarthan 04/20/07

The wave of stupidity at WotC has been going on ever since they took over the Dungeons and Dragons namebrand though.

~~~
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 17, 2007 3:06 pm  

yea it is a sad note indeed, although I quit buying both of them along qwith everything printed for third edition. I am a die hard second edition AD&D'er and will NEVER change to third.

On a good note, I have every issue of both up to the point where they both went over to third, so I figure Im gonna have a small fortune worth of magazines in the end hehe
    Novice

Wed May 30, 2007 5:48 pm  

I actually like DMG2. Now PHB2 is another story.

Honestly, I have not bought any WotC products in a looong time as they do not respect the fans of the older editions nor the tradition of tabletop gaming. Their articles focus more on video games and card game drop and play-like tactics for running campaigns.

~~~
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: