ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Where to start in Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Where to start in Greyhawk
    Novice

Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:12 pm  
    Where to start in Greyhawk

Hi,

Im new to these boards and have a great time reading the depth of knowledge that you all posses. I have a very simple questions yet am having a hard time putting my finger on the solution. Where do i start rading about Greyhawk? I woul dliek a little better background on the movers and shakers, and areas, the monsters(by the way I like the lich stuff on these boards). The underdark.. that kind of stuff.

Thanks for your help!

Lanz
    CF Admin

Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:20 pm  

i'm not sure what kind of content you already opwn, but I strongly suggest buyin the Living Greyhawk Gazateer from Amazon by following the link to the left in the sidebar.

It is probably the most accessable book available currently to get you started off on the right foot.

Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:38 pm  
    Re: Where to start in Greyhawk

Lanzaren wrote:
    Hi,

Im new to these boards and have a great time reading the depth of knowledge that you all posses. I have a very simple questions yet am having a hard time putting my finger on the solution. Where do i start rading about Greyhawk? I woul dliek a little better background on the movers and shakers, and areas,

As Abysslin said, the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is probably the easiest book to find, and it contains a great overview of the folk, fueds and factions (ahem...) of the Flanaess.

Quote:
    the monsters(by the way I like the lich stuff on these boards).

If you've got the Monster Manual, Monster Manual 2 and Fiend Folio (I'm assuming you're using 3rd edition D&D, if not, find the similar books from whatever edition you use), you have the basic sources for Greyhawk Monsters.

You might hear talk now and then about Greyhawk being the "core" setting for 3rd edition D&D. All that means is that unless otherwise specified, any material from a D&D book is useable in Greyhawk. So while Forgotten Realms, for example, has its own monster book, the monsters in the main books are considered "greyhawk monsters".

Quote:
    The underdark.. that kind of stuff.

If you can locate recent back issues of Dragon magazine, Fred Weining did an excellent set of articles (in the late 190 issues, 197 and 198 perhaps?) about the Drow and the Vault of the Drow, their "uinderdark" realm beneath the crystalmist mountains. Probably the most definitive look at the subject in recent material. Those issue also featured some setting generic Drow and Underdark type articles that are easily adapted to Fred's take on things, so if the underworld is your thing, they are great resources.

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:57 am  

You can also go to www.svgames.com and download(for the relatively meager price of about $4.50 per adventure) nearly every original AD&D module, D&D module, 2nd Edition AD&D module, and source books for all of the above as well. They have a large amount of nearly everything that was ever published specifically for Greyhawk, regarding modules. They need conversion to the latest edition(if that is what you are playing), but that is not too big of a deal for most of them. More importantly, there is a wealth of information to be had.
    There is also a HOOGE amount of info here in the canonfire vaults. There are some free files in the download section on the Dungeons & Dragons section of the Wizards of the Coast website as well, notably the adventure "The Secret of Bone Hill" and the sourcebook on The Great Kingdom and surrounding areas entilted "Ivid the Evil".

You should really start off with the suggested booklet "Living Greyhawk Gazetteer" as it contains all of the basic info that you want to know. As to where you want to start off in the campaign world, you should line up the premier adventure you want to run, see what areas would be geographically appropriate for the setting of the adventure, and then have at it.

If its a small locale, often with a small river, just set it near a larger river(which do have small tributaries that are not always shown on larger maps). The geography need not be exact, but just reasonable. You can of course always alter the geographical location of an adventure to suit your needs. Make the module and the campaign your own. Lots of people here are great about giving advice and helping locate all of those elusive Greyhawk facts that you may want to know.

---Brian
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:39 pm  
    Re: Where to start in Greyhawk

chatdemon wrote:
    If you can locate recent back issues of Dragon magazine, Fred Weining did an excellent set of articles (in the late 190 issues, 197 and 198 perhaps?) about the Drow and the Vault of the Drow, their "uinderdark" realm beneath the crystalmist mountains. Probably the most definitive look at the subject in recent material. Those issue also featured some setting generic Drow and Underdark type articles that are easily adapted to Fred's take on things, so if the underworld is your thing, they are great resources.

Are you referring to Dragon 298?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: