Username Password
  or Create an Account
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
Features
Greyhawk Wiki

#greytalk-discord
    JOIN THE CHAT
    Canonfire :: View topic - The "official" 2008-2009 Greyhawk Webcomic thread!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The "official" 2008-2009 Greyhawk Webcomic thread! [ Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next]
    GreySage

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:53 pm  

Oh, Gruumsh, you rapscallion! (I found that bit disturbing, actually).
    Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:00 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip211a.htm

If you found Gruumsh disturbing then you'll find this one much more entertaining!
    Master Greytalker

Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:23 pm  

I have sympathy for the old devil. The same thing happened to a good friend of mine in Acererak's gaff many years ago.

Twice. The moral; don't go sticking your head through strange holes in the wall.

Top quality as ever, mort. Laughing
    Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:47 pm  

Thanks Ragr! Your words kind of make me nostalgic to run it again! Acererak was an inspired choice as I did this comic at the deadline. In dealing with that comic's subject I easily could've went with the popular Vecna, or even Kyuss and Kas who have been in my comic before. But I'm glad I used the demi-lich instead. He was much easier to draw and color because well, he's just a skull. Go procrastination! ;)
    Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:55 am  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip212a.htm

This message will self-destruct in 10 seconds...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 pm  

Reminds me the auto-destruct scene in Mel Brooks' movie Spaceballs.

Will you use the famous Gygax' panic button? I'd like to see its effects.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:47 am  

Damn you, mort. I just spent an hour staring at that episode and I can't remember a bloomin' thing. Did you have to insert that picture from the old PH? I drifted off into the land of nostalgia and can't get anything done, now.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!! Mad

Cool
    Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:53 pm  

LoL, apparently Ragr's brain had a self-destruct keyed to that magic mouth pic. Whoops!
    Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:25 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip213a.htm

I know it's pronounced both ways.... Wink
    Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:08 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip214a.htm

The writing's on the wall...
    Site Theocrat

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:41 am  
    Off The Wall

Hi all -
    Well, here's my guess for this weeks riddle.

R - Giant, Huge,
    A - Anger, Quarrel
    X - Strength (the symbol used is an X with a cross in the middle of the two lines)- although, he could have used the X symbol for Poison, Antidote
    I - God

V - Win, Victory
    O - Demonic, Demon Power
    R - Torch
    T - Thrall, Prisoner

My first response to this riddle is:
    Raxi = Giant God of Strength and Anger (Kord)
    Vort = Demonic Prisoner Has Victory by Torching (Iuz - he torches an area of woods near High Folk)

I can see why Raxi Vort might put Iuz's name within his own. Grazz't knows the runes meaning and sees it as a jab at him because his son was captured by Zagyg-muffin. But I'm not certain as to the actual reason.

I also don't understand the Kord reference. It could be Hextor, but I don't think he's associated with giants. If he used the rune for Poison instead of Strength, then it certainly could be a Incabulos. There I'd say God of Huge Poisonings Leading to Massive Quarrels.

However, I'm more inclined to use the below as my answer - but I'm hung up on the rune of Strength vs Poison - because it's clearly a Strength rune.

If it were the Poison rune, and combined I could say that the reference was to Pyremius. Being the Blazing Killer (Torch), Demon of Venom (Demon + Poison) and Hideous Assassin. His holy symbol is also that of "a demonic face with ears like a bat's wings." This might be a connection to Raxivort. With the Win/Victory rune, this could be in relation to his winning of Ranet's portfolio after he assassinated her. He also breeds Anger and Quarrels within his church as clerics have Huge internal feuds.

Well now that I've spent 45min trying to figure this all out...and considering that I'm my own heretic with my moving my Church of the One True Path to Golarion with the Crusading Church of the One True Path of Iomedae, I can't figure it out. I do love the WoG 1.0 playing in WoG 2.0 (but I wish Pholtus were playing Iomedae, although its not a perfect fit).

Be Well. Be Well Answered.
    Theocrat Issak

P.S. edit: I'm unsure of how often that site is updated. I'm going to contact the owner via the mailto link. I didn't know GeoCities was still around but I think that is the perfect fit for GreyhawkOnline.com. Anybody know if the person is still active?

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:17 am  
    Re: Off The Wall

I think it's Raxivort bragging about how his gigantic rage and strength has made him a god. When Graz'zt was imprisoned by Iggwilv, Raxivort was celebrating his victory over Graz'zt's demonic power by the torch of his flaming blue hand.

A more literal interpretation of "giant god of strength and anger" would be Grolantor, the hill giant god. But why would Raxivort care about Grolantor? I like my interpretation better.

Pyremius's symbol is actually the head of a yagnoloth, so definitely no Raxivort connection there.
    Site Theocrat

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:13 pm  
    Rasgon Knows All

Hi all -
    Rasgon Knows All.....Even as a Theocrat I must bow to a higher power. Well, here Rasgon knows s frak-ton more than I will ever know. Frak, he's likely forgotten more than I'll even know (even if I didn't switch to WoG 2.0).
    It took me 45min of research to come up with something - I like what I came up with, but only if it was Poison and not Strength. It likely took Rasgon 10min to recall, research and type out his impression. Damn all you WoG 1.0 Knowledgeable People (including that damnable Mortellan!).

Be Well. Be Well in Knowledge.
    Theocrat Issak

P.S. Edit: Mort, my laptop died. But I didn't lose stuff, it's just a matter of backing up, new PC, installing new/ replacement software and such. I'll hopefully get you those promised Disks of Wondrous Power in the next week.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:51 pm  

man, do i love those comics....

(PS: now it should be official 2009 GH wc topic;))
    Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:49 pm  

I hope all your Holy Artifacts are up and running soon theocrat. And this new splinter reality church of Iomedae you have sounds interesting. Always good to have you on the side of Law.

As to the runic interpretations, there is no 100% right answer but Rasgon is always a sharp eye when it comes to these things. I was close to using the Glyph for 'Poison' antidote then figured no self respecting evil creature would care about the cure for poison and likewise I could've used the rune for 'Fire' but seeing as it was followed by the Torch rune I decided that might be redundant. All in all it was amusing that I saw Raxivort's name first in the runes. Are there any other proper GH names that can be created out of the limited set?
    Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:16 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip215a.htm
    The hourglass is uh, sifting...
    Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:15 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip216a.htm

FEH! Cultists!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:39 am  

mortellan wrote:

FEH! Cultists!

You said it:

“Rose tint my world, keeps me safe from my trouble and pain …. Hey, are those trans-sylvan elves?”

Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:21 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip217a.htm

Belated April Fool!
    Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:55 am  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip218a.htm

RIP Dave Arneson
    Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:10 am  

http://mortellan.livejournal.com/

If any one wants a leg up on what I'm working on, I've started a blog of random Greyhawkness.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:47 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip219a.htm

CATACLYSM!
    Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:39 pm  

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip220a.htm

Every man for himself!
    GreySage

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:59 pm  

FYI, the kanteel, spelled "kantele" in the sources I can find (and pronounced "kant-uh-luh" in this Youtube video), was the stringed instrument invented by the Finnish hero Väinämöinen in the Kalevala. Great Myths and Legends from World Book, Inc. describes it as "a five-stringed harplike instrument." Väinämöinen made his from the jawbone of a giant pike he slew and strung it with some hair taken from some young women he had summoned with his magic.

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantele

Gary Gygax talking about Finnish mythology: http://www.enworld.org/forum/archive-threads/161566-gary-gygax-q-part-x-14.html

Here's an illustration of the pike-jaw kantele from Great Myths and Legends, although it has too many strings, and it looks nothing like any kantele I've seen elsewhere:

An authentic traditional kantele from this site:

This is probably why the first edition Monster Manual had giant pikes in it.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:47 pm  

Shawn with arundo donax reeds?!?! I fletch those and and toss them as darts at vorpal bunnies with my atlatl! Ooga Booga!
    [ Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next]
    Page 8 of 15

Jump to: