Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Preliminary thoughts on integration of 4e into Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 4th Edition
    Preliminary thoughts on integration of 4e into Greyhawk
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:06 am  

Phalastar wrote:
    Which brings me to my major bleat - NPC creation in 4e. Uuuaarrggghyuk. Meaning I'm not a fan. Why cant my NPCs have a race and a proper class like they did in 3e?

They can.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:07 am  

Yep I thought the Druid looked okay - surprised how fast someone got one up.

I checked EnWorld threads and the PHB2 looks like having Sorceror, Bard, Barbarian, Druid. It also has a class starting with W and a class starting with I. Illusionist definitely, since they just previwed Illusionist spells in Dragon. I was rather hoping W would be Witch. A mutch underrated class and one that fits very nicely into my Greyhawk campaign. Also Shaman will be in there.

Still cant believe Monk wont be. How annoying.

I really really torn with 4e - half of it is an improvement, the other half I dont like at all.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:00 pm  

Well I just got done flushing my D&D 4e campaign. As a DM I had some fun with the creatures, and everything looked really good on paper. The game was fun and quick, but wasn't D&D. I went this route only because mechanics wise it seemed pretty slick. Thing I hated is the old feel was dead.

I could no longer feel the spirit of my old master (Gygax) and my interest in the new edition just faded. I didn't even want to play it anymore. A player took over for me. I am playing a Human (because other races felt nothing like old D&D for me) Cleric of the Raven Queen (wish it was Wee Jas, but we aren't playing in GH. Sad ).

This edition is so far removed from D&D I would hate to even think of what 4e would be like for GH. Just my feelings. I hope you guys are enjoying it. I am sticking with 3.5/Pathfinder RPG if I decide to DM again and it will be Greyhawk! Happy

As a system by itself 4e is fun and good for quick games but it's not D&D.

Long Live Greyhawk!

Jim
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:17 pm  

I normally wouldn't recant or whatever to one of my own posts but some months ago I stated here on this site I wouldn't be going 4th for GH. Truth still is I won't. I had to try it for mechanics sake for a home brew project specifically designed for a new system. That and I got the books practically half off from, Amazon. I am glad I'm not investing anymore money into it however. Mad Either way I am happy to be back in 3.x frame of mind. I am not here to bash it for others. I do hope you guys find it enjoyable either way. Anyway, I just didn't wanna sound like a bloody hypocrite. Embarassed

Jim
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:30 pm  

I'm running two different campaigns in Greyhawk (or will be soon, we should restart Saltmarsh in a few months), and once you take into account certain things (there are no "tiefling empires" and dragonborn are from west of the Baklunish basin), it works fairly well.

But it really falls on how you define DnD. Do you define it as high adventure and fights that you talk about for years afterwards? Is it the NPCs you can't forget, and the villains you refuse to? 4E can do those things as well as 1,2, or 3.x. Is it vancian casting and the great wheel (which you could still include the great wheel), then you're going to be a bit disapointed. For me it helps move the party and the story along. I recently was running a 3.5 Ebberon game. The party went three rooms into a four room dungeon and had to retreat for the day. The same group of players went through a 6 room dungeon without an extended rest. (and just as difficult, because I refuse to pull punches, and love rubbing players' noses in the dirt, even if I don't kill them - it makes them appreciate their victories more)

YMMV
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 4th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: