ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - My Furyondi adventure path
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    My Furyondi adventure path
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:21 am  
    My Furyondi adventure path

Dear all,

After almost 4 years of D&D I'm becoming Dungeon Master again. During my last adventure as a DM (Return to Temple of Elemental Evil) my group explored Greyhawk much more; how do the GH gods interact, who is who and what happens where. Currently my group is investigating a dark elf/ drow attack on a village nearby Highfolk, which is DM'ed by another guy so I can play after the long sit of running RttToEE.

Because I just love DM'ing I am preparing the next adventure which will start probably in Furyondi. We will start with fresh new PCs at lvl1. I plan to run a long adventure which should be a roleplay-heavy (but also exploring and fighting) campaign around Iuz the Old.

I digging into lots of resources (the old TSR splatbooks and mainly this website). What I have so far:

lvl1-3 Borderwatch: I would like to use the adventure to introduce Furyondi and its troubles to my PCs.
    lvl4-5 An old fortress on the border have been secretly rebuild by an Iuz force. Something should be done about this. The way how could mean waractivity is increasing on both sides..
    lvl 6-7: Gather intelligence in the lands of Iuz
    lvl 8-9: City of skulls adventure
    after that: ?

If you have suggestions, ideas or good resources it would be very very welcome.

Thanks in advance!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:13 am  

No one to give comments or share thoughts?
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:42 pm  

It's not technically in Furyondy, but I would think a good next step (since it involves Iuz and generally fits with the theme you've described) would be to try the Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk adventure. I don't know the details of your campaign, but it seems a good next logical step.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:35 am  

You already have one seemingly unexplored story element:

Quote:
    "lvl 6-7: Gather intelligence in the lands of Iuz"

What sort of intelligence? On what? For what? Once they get it, what do they do with it? Are enemy agents of The Old One working to regain it and silence the PCs? From the "intelligence" thread alone you can lead into a dozen other adventures. You just need to fill in the blanks.

It might help you - or others in giving suggestions - to know if you have an overall plot arc for the campaign that you are putting together.

In other words, are the heroes working toward something? Will they one day challenge Iuz himself in his very own throne room? As with any story: you need to know your ending from the get go, that way you can build up to and into it. So what's your story? Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:23 pm  

First: Thanks for the helpful replies!

In the meantime I managed to read the whole Iuz the Evil book so I have more knowledge about the main villain of my Furyondy setting.

I totally agree with Peshkauri that I have to think of an overall plot for my campaign. As I said in my first post I prefer a campaign which fits on my players. Therefore I asked for their preferences. This is the outcome:

Low level start
    Roleplaying heavy
    High power/ magic with world-impact events
    Civilized background

I'm happy this fits quite well to my earlier plans. Only the roleplaying aspect I miscalculated. My group wants more roleplaying then I expected and I totally like it! Cool

For the main story line there should be an world-impact plotline. The most obvisious, but also cliche, one is battling Iuz in its throne room. But I don't want to. Any alternatives?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:19 pm  

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that your campaign actually include a battle with Iuz in his throne room, it was just a broad stoke example of something one might build up to. Happy

I'd suggest combing through Iuz the Evil and look for some story thread that appeals to you. I hate to keep throwing the ball in your court but, well, it's sort of in your court. Wink

That said, I'm getting the impression you might need something to get the creative ball rolling, so I'll try to help!

If your players are interested in a roleplaying heavy campaign, may I suggest that they be spies from Furyondy sent to infiltrate the fortress of one of the Old One's top agents. (That would satisfy both the roleplaying heavy requirement and the civilized background - well, as civilized as Iuz lands can be!) They could be a diversionary group of operatives (therefore expendable) or a group sent to provide support for another group already in deep cover. (That would take care of the low-level start aspect. Afterall, they're just "assets, expendable assets" to the politicians back home.) All that leaves is the 'high power/magic with world-impact events ' aspect! So let's see...

Somewhere during the course of the campaign, the deeper cover group goes silent. Divinations reveal that they've been discovered... some killed, some captured (and perhaps one is still evading capture somewhere). The powers that be send word to the heroes that it's now up to them to finish what the first group started, and they proceed to bring the group up to speed on the dastardly artifact or new (epic?)spell Iuz's agent is dangerously close to completing. Now it's up to the heroes to finish the job and save the world! (Or at least the immediate area...!)

Hope something in there works for you and gets your own wheels turning! Smile

Cheers!
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:49 pm  

A battle in Iuz's throne room, eh? And with all the talk of a reboot on the boards, too...

I think you're onto something here. How 'bout an epic adventure to end the threat of Iuz once and for all? Any budding designers out there feel like taking this one on?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:58 pm  

Well, the idea wasn't really up Sander_Kaa's alley...

But being that I've never really like Iuz all that much I might be up for taking an epic shot at killing him off (schedule permitting)! Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:31 am  

The creativity-ball is rolling! Thanks to the replies in this topic and the many sources I've found on the net.

I've tried to flesh out the adventure line from my first post. Here I go:

Bringing them together:
    All characters will start in the County of Crystalreach, ruled by Count Artur Jakartai a renown hero who fought on the whole length of the Iuz warfronts.

All PCs are 1) citizens of Morsten, a medium sized city next to the Veng River and bordered to the Flare Line, a constant front of skirmishes between the troops from Iuz.

2) refugees from the Vesve looking for aid in Furyondy, coming from territories now occupied by Iuz troops. This gives some room to my players who don't want to limit themselves to play a human.

The County of Crystalreach is constantly looking for troops for their Army, especially now since 150 experienced soldiers are missing after they went on a mission to restore the city Grabford. Therefore young men are forced to enter the military.

I don't want to be a railroad DM but bringing them together I found difficult each time I've DM'ed.

Chapter one: First moves
    My players wants a 32point buy character creation. Above average which means their tasks as fresh soldiers will be... different. I'm planning to have short "missions" to get familiar with their environment:

(because I want a high degree of player freedom I like to have multiple choices which they can "pick", what do you think about it)

- Job, a young ranger who is teached by a member of the spies of Furyondi (The Drinkers of the Cup of Midnight, found in a LG scenario) informs the military a boat landed forces on the Furyondy territory. But not regular forces; animal tracks have been found by Job. Someone got to find out what's happening..

- Belvor's fort in the North Eastern part sends messages their short on resources. This strange because couple of days ago lots of wagons went on their way to Belvor's fort. (this storyline will be loosely based on Border Watch which I like only partially) Find out what went wrong..

- The missing group of soldiers who went to Grabford consisted of some men with a reputation. They were hired for large amounts of goldpieces by the Furyondy military because of their exceptional fighting skills. Rumors spread they have something to do with the disappearance. Someone got find out who these people were and what kind of plans they had.

In all three storylines new monsters created by Null, a Wizard from Dorakaa, are the evil-do-ers. These are created based on humanoid bodies inside a secret laboratory on a demi-plane.

Chapter two: No identity, no friends, no family..

Their sergeant informs them on one day the group has a problem. An unknown person want to bring the group to Furyondy court! Murdering, spreading secret intelligence and spreading false rumors among the city. If this is all true they can be sentenced to death!! (all false charges). The city guards will arrive soon they bring them to justice. The sergeant hands over a formal letter with all charges.
    During all this the players become slowly aware (by good roleplaying) they are or betrayed by an inside enemy or this being set-up for other means than bringing them to justice.

Instead of being sentenced to death the players are introduced to a secret group, operating within and outside Furyondy laws. News has been receveid by the agents of Furyondy something is happening in the Razing Line. An by Iuz' wizards blackened area where in the northern part of the Furyondy. Rumors tells lots of undead creatures are created there by powerfull priests of Iuz who have a base in the Vesve.

Chapter three involves the idea of Peshkauri. Divinations reveal the group was nothing but diversion of the deeper group. However, this group has been killed. They learn this group was working on retrieving an artifact hidden somewhere in Molag.

Working on this! Maybe I use lots of material from the City of Skulls book. Instead of retrieving a person they have to look for this artifact, and instead of hacknslashing through to Dorakaa prisons they have to infiltrate Molag!

All italic text are questions or thought I have. Feel free to give ideas, suggestions or comments on this!

Furthermore I'm trying to decide which CY it is in my campaign. I want to use the map in this post and want try to follow the "canon" timeline. I think the LG Furyondy Gazetteer can help me with that. However it's not on the web anymore (www.furyondy.com). Does anyone have it and want to send it to me?)

Last edited by Sander_Kaa on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:00 am  

Just a thought that popped into my head: I just read the "To Serve the Greater Good" series of adventures from the Living Greyhawk campaign. If you can find them, I think they might be very helpful to you. I have no idea where you might find them, though, since they're from 2003.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:08 pm  

thanks for the hint. I already looked for LG adventures but it's hard to get those. Most are user password protected pdf's.

I'll take a look again!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:23 am  

Still making progress on this one. I finally found a map for the starting town: Greatwall (instead of my earlier thought Morsten).

This is the link: http://www.sonic.net/~hezleigh/d&d/Handouts/greatwall.htm

Does anyone recognize this map because I'm looking for the detailed descriptions of the several numbered areas? It's from Wizards the image tells...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:28 am  

I'm happy to tell I've finished my own Furyondy Gazetteer (CY591) based on many resources. Furtermore I've fleshed out Greatwall, the starting town for my campaign.

For the first levels I've plenty of hooks available for the PCs to grab. Based on their choices the main plot will be developed. Not only by me, but together with the PCs.

Will they choose to join the military for an assault on the city of Molag, or join an expedition to search for a lost city in the Sea of Dust, free an important person out of the Dorakaa prisons or leave the lands of Furyondy to find a better place? It's up to them! We start in about two months.. Í'll give an update when things are moving..
    Master Greytalker

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:33 pm  

Sander_Kaa wrote:
    I'm happy to tell I've finished my own Furyondy Gazetteer (CY591) based on many resources. Furtermore I've fleshed out Greatwall, the starting town for my campaign...

Love to see those posted someday...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:13 am  

@Bubbagump: I try to. The problem however is that I copied most info from other sources. Because I was too lazy to make a proper source-index I don't want to post it right know to make sure I don't abuse other people's effort for my own fame.. What do you think?
    Master Greytalker

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:46 am  

I'd suggest you simply give credit as well as you can and then add an "and thanks to all the others I forgot to reference" statement. If anybody wants to chime in about not being credited, you can always edit that in later or ask one of the admins to do it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:58 am  

Update:

My player chose to start in Crockport to investigate rumors about an owlbear who houses on Rockegg Isle:

Rockegg Island: This nearby island is a dangerous place. The old naval tower-keep on the island remains unoccupied by Furyondian forces. The fishing harbour is quite shallow and it is possible to wade across to the island in the autumn when the water level in Whyestil Lake is low. It seems that several vile things took residence there during Iuz’s reign, and there has yet to be any real effort made to clear it of them. During the last low autumn tide, one of the creatures, a mad owlbear, even made its way across to the shore. Anyone willing to clear the island may earn a few wheatsheafs, as well as some reputation within the region. (thanks to PaulN6 for the info)

Main Plot:

Smugglers covering their operations by magical mist smuggle dead bodies to and from Rockegg Island. These died bodies are shipped to Gerrenkzerung. From there the bodies are transported to the wizard Null in Dorakaa, the capital of Iuz' lands. Null uses these bodies to create monsters which are a mixture of zombies and constructs.

A secret Furyondy fraction, the Drinkers of the Cup of Midnight, directly commanded by King Belvor knows about the smuggling. Per fifty dead bodies which are smuggled' to Iuz lands a Furyondy prisoner can return home.

What's going on at Rockegg:

Encounter key Owlbear’s Den

General notes: The underground chambers have no light!

1.The Beach: When you look down the rocky cliff you see two small beaches some twenty-five meters downwards. The one beach looks a bit wider then the other one.

Spot 10: Some objects lie on the beaches. It’s not very clear what they are.
    Spot 15: You see some wooden objects and a long rope lying on the beach.
    Spot 20: The wooden objects look like broken wooden crates. You can also see some smaller tools lying next to it.
    Spot >20: Apart from the objects it seems there is a narrow opening in the rockwall leading into the darkness.

Climbing down: DC15

2.The Den: When walking through the overgrown rocks of the island you see a more dense growth place somewhat in the middle of the island. It should be around half an hour to walk and climb up to this place. Big boulders covered with fresh green fungus lie next to heavy growing bushes, small trees. Dangerous chasms can be seen between the outstanding pillars of stone rock. Really a place to be on your toes.

Climb 10: Slowly you move through the rocky terrain
    Climb 15>: Like an experienced climber you move through this difficult terrain towards the middle of the island

3.The Owlbear:

Spot against hide check Owlbear: You see a large beast trying to get closer to you. He is about 70 feet away.

Listen against move silent check Owlbear: You hear noises in front of you like someone is trying to move towards you.

Young owlbear

Size/Type:
    Large Magical Beast

Hit Dice:
    4d10+20 (41 hp)

Initiative:
    +1

Speed:
    30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class:
    15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14

Base Attack/Grapple:
    +4/+13

Attack:
    Claw +8 melee (1d6+5)

Full Attack:
    2 claws +8 melee (1d6+5) and bite +3 melee (1d8+2)

Space/Reach:
    10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Improved grab

Special Qualities:
    Scent

Saves:
    Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +2

Abilities:
    Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
    Skills:
    Listen +8, Spot +8

Feats:
    Alertness, Track

Environment:
    Temperate forests
    Organization:
    Solitary, pair, or pack (3-8)
    Challenge Rating:
    Treasure:
    None
    Alignment:
    Always neutral

An owlbear’s coat ranges in color from brown-black to yellowish brown; its beak is a dull ivory color. A full-grown male can stand as tall as 8 feet and weigh up to 1,500 pounds. Adventurers who have survived encounters with the creature often speak of the bestial madness they glimpsed in its red-rimmed eyes.
    Combat

Owlbears attack prey—any creature bigger than a mouse—on sight, always fighting to the death. They slash with claws and beak, trying to grab their prey and rip it apart.

Improved Grab (Ex)
    To use this ability, an owlbear must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Encounter key Smugglers Bay

General notes: The underground chambers have no light!

1. The Beach: When you look down the rocky cliff you see two small beaches some twenty-five meters downwards. The one beach looks a bit wider then the other one.

Spot 10: Some objects lie on the beaches. It’s not very clear what they are.
    Spot 15: You see some wooden objects and a long rope lying on the beach.
    Spot 20: The wooden objects look like broken wooden crates. You can also see some smaller tools lying next to it.
    Spot >20: Apart from the objects it seems there is a narrow opening in the rockwall leading into the darkness.

Climbing down: DC15

2. The Entrances: After you climbed down to the beach you see the opening in the rocks very clearly, it leads into a dark narrow passage…

Search: To find the secret entrance a succesfull search of DC25 should be made. The entrance can be opened by a STR check of DC18. Footprints can be found either by the Track feat and a DC20 survival check.

The crates and rope are left-behinds from the smugglers and do not seem special.

3. Tunneling in: While your eyes accomodate to the darkness inside you walk through a natural tunnel leading deaper into the island.

Rolling Rock Trap CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; Atk +10 melee (2d6, rock); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 22.

4. Crossing: After walking some 120 feet into the tunnel your path end into a solidly carved corridor. You can see some old torches hanging onto the walls.

Large Net Trap CR 2; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; Atk +5 melee (see note); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 25. Note: Characters in 10-ft. square are grappled by net (Str 18) if they fail a DC 14 Reflex save.

Two smugglers (being partners in crime and in love), permanently located on the island guard the hallways but are not very alert. It takes 2d4 round to come to this crossing from their guard room, located in the most left room of the complex.

Bewul, male human Ftr 1: CR 1; Size M (6 ft., 2 in. tall); HD 1d10+1; hp 11; Init +1 (+1 Dex); Spd 30 ft.; AC 17 (+1 Dex, +4 Armor, +2 Shield); Attack +4 melee, or +2 ranged; SV Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +0; AL LE; Str 16, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 9.

Languages Spoken: Common.

Skills and feats: Handle Animal +3, Hide +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +5, Listen +0, Move Silently +1, Spot +2; Blind-Fight, Weapon Focus (crossbow, light), Weapon Focus (longsword).

Possessions: Crossbow, Longsword, Chain Shirt, Heavy Steel Shield, 24gp

Anastasia, female human Rog1: CR 1; Size M (5 ft., 1 in. tall); HD 1d6; hp 6; Init +2 (+2 Dex); Spd 30 ft.; AC 16 (+2 Dex, +4 Armor); Attack +1 melee, or +3 ranged (+3 when 30ft range); SV Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +1; AL LE; Str 10, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 9.

Languages Spoken: Common, Giant, Gnoll, Orc, Elven.

Skills and feats: Bluff +8, Climb +4, Craft (Weaponsmithing) +6, Decipher Script +8, Diplomacy +3, Disable Device +7, Disguise +3, Forgery +4, Hide +2, Jump +2, Knowledge (Local) +8, Listen +3, Move Silently +6, Open Lock +6, Sense Motive +5, Sleight of Hand +6, Spot +3, Tumble +6; Weapon Focus (dagger), Point Blank Shot.

Possessions: Shortbow, Dagger, Chain Shirt, 36gp, small key

Tactics: Jullana and Bewulf will fight fiercely together and prefer having darkness (because of their blind fight feat). They will protect each other at all costs. If the party kills Jullana, Bewulf will get totally mad and will try to kill the PC who killed his lover. If Bewulf dies Jullana will protect his body by using a total defense action (+4 AC).

5. Guard room: After opening the curtain you see two bedrolls on the stone floor together with some personal belongings like clothing, some tools and a crate of food.

Search (DC10) reveals a storm lantern.
    Search (DC12) reveals 3.500 sp, a dozen of simple rings, earrings and bracelets in a bag hidden under a pile of stones.
    Search (DC20) reveals a small box in an alcove with a lock on it. DC15 Open lock to open it. It has a silver ring and a very small silver acorn (from the Silver Wood in the Vesve) in it.

6. Big hall: After walking onto the stairs you enter an enormous room. However besides some rubble and dust on the floor it appears empty. Furthermore, one door can be seen on the other side of the room.

Spot (DC15) When you look above you see some stone hangings attached to the ceiling.
    Spot (DC20) Then hangings look stone trapezes.

Search (DC15) Four glass-like stones can be found in the biggest part of the room. When there is pressure of at least 50kg on each stone a 2,5x2,5 ft pillar rises from the floor to a height of 30 feet. To stand upon the pillar a balance check of DC15 is needed. Jump checks can bring a PC to four trapezes attached to the ceiling. This brings the PC in a hidden treasure room (6a) filled with three very expensive paintings from the former ruler of Castle Rockegg.

The stone door can only be opened by a successful open lock of DC20 or a strength check of 20.

7. Empty room: The only thing you see in this square room is another door on the left.

8. Storage room: After walking down the long hallway the light of your lantern shows you a big room filled with wooden boxes.

Spot (DC12): You think you see something moving between the boxes.
    Spot (DC15): It appears to be a huge rat eating something
    Spot (DC20): The rat seems to be eating from a human body!

After finishing the big rat you see the rat-eaten body lying next an open crate, two other human bodies are in it!

When opening other crates a big number of dead bodies are found. You see the bodies of elves, humans, children, man and women. A strange smell rises from the bodies.

Heal (DC15): The bodies are not ‘fresh’ anymore. You think they might be died for some weeks now. However, the normal rotting process seems delayed for some reason.
    Heal (DC20): The bodies are some 5-6 weeks old. No violent signs can be seen on the bodies. Furthermore a very special kind of preserving dead bodies has been used.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: