JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Adventuring in the Iron League
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Adventuring in the Iron League
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:20 pm  
    Adventuring in the Iron League

Ever since the Dragon article on Irongate, I've been toying with the idea of an Irongate/Iron League campaign. Thing is, I can't think of adventures to run there. I figure a lot of the campaign would be political manipulation, high seas adventuring, deep delving, and mercantile ventures. The vision I keep getting for Irongate is a combination of Minas Tirith and Cauldron (the Shackled City). Hey... maybe I could run the Shackled City Adventure Path there... Anyone run anything set in Irongate/Iron League? Any ideas? Thanks...

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:48 am  

I have had a long standing campaign set in Irongate and the surrounding region. It works quite well as a base for the characters as they tend to jump on ships if they need to visit other areas of Greyhawk.

So yes nautical adventures have certainly featured. Some of the types of adventures that have been up to include:

- pirate hunting on the Azure sea
    - adventuring in the Iron Hills, defeating of a cult of Demogorgan
    - helping out dwarven outposts with they encounter problems they cant handle, undead plague, missing dwarven noble, recovering dwarven artefacts
    - adventuring in Irongate, lots of political intrigue
    - adventures in the underdark
    - battling the remnants of the scarlet brotherhood forces
    - political intrigue with rebels against Ahlissan rule in Naerie
    - intrigue against Gray Reydrich of Ahlissa

The adventuring groups are sponsored by a powerful mage/noble who is aligned with the Iron League, and this itself sparks many adventures incorporating politics and organisations.

It is easily the most interesting part of Greyhawk for me. I loved the Irongate article but it wasn't enough. I'm busy trying to flesh out Irongate a little further.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:47 am  

We have whole set of material in Living Greyhawk Naerie page at www.naerie.net

That page won't be going anywhere despite Living Greyhawk ending. In fact it should keep expanding from next year onwards.

Sampo Haarlaa
    Naerie Triad
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:40 pm  

Good to hear Smile

Just because Living Greyhawk is ending doesn't mean the sites do too.

If anything it allows the triads to be more creative.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:28 pm  

The GHWars and their aftermath kinda undid the Iron League, both directly in the form of the SB invasions and indirectly with the changed nature of the former Great Kingdom. Arguably, there is no need for the Iron League to exist any more, per se, but like NATO after the fall of communism, it might go on anyway. I like that idea.

I liked the old Iron League. I did not care for the GHWars and Aftermath changes to the Iron League. I could see a campaign focused on "putting the band back together" as a unified political force once more. Ahlissa is an improvement over the South Province but Ahlissa is not all sunshine and light. The SB still needs to be driven back into its hole or smoked out of it once and for all. Put the Iron League back together and have it invade the Tilvot Peninsula to wipe out the SB - turnabout is fair play.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:27 pm  

Invade the tilavot penisula Shocked

Turn your back on your good friends in Ahlissa to go invade the southern tropical homeland of tSb - reminds me of vietnam scenario.

I wouldn't do it if I was cobb - too risky take ekul but lose Irongate - remember Idee - besides the other members still have a big recovery ahead of them.

Most important of all - I like tSb - hands off the switch to the electrical chair GVD Mad
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:41 pm  

Crag wrote:
    Invade the tilavot penisula Shocked

Turn your back on your good friends in Ahlissa to go invade the southern tropical homeland of tSb - reminds me of vietnam scenario.

I wouldn't do it if I was cobb - too risky take ekul but lose Irongate - remember Idee - besides the other members still have a big recovery ahead of them.

Most important of all - I like tSb - hands off the switch to the electrical chair GVD Mad

I think you have put your finger on the crux of the matter - Idee. Idee as part of Ahlissa allows for only two possibilities as I see it -

a) Ahlissa expands to absorb Irongate and Onnwal; or

b) Idee regains its freedom and that process catalizes the rebirth of the Iron League.

I don't think the status quo can hold indefinitely. So maybe there is the campaign!?!

Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:33 pm  

Thanks, all, for the ideas. Now then, has any one actually run anything in Irongate/Iron Leargue? Pre- or post-war. I'm keen to know what you did.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:51 am  

There are quite a few hooks buried (and in dire need of expansion) all over the Irongate Project webpages. Some of them include...

An ancient illithid temple hidden on a very isolated and virtually impenetrable plateau discovered by a now very insane hoblogger (bottom of the IG Region page).

The Khul-Ak tableaux.

Dragons in the Drachenslar valley.

Something REALLY scary (and reptilian) on Drachensbarak.

The impenetrable bog know as the Drachenslurmurk.

Disruptions to the Dwarven shipping route along the Khanahllar.

Shady business dealings around the Deep Doors.

The missing Shield of Goahil.

Tuaren Leedstit's various quests.

The source of evil magic generating the undead that are coming out of the abandoned mine.

Scarlet Brotherhood spies.

Scumtown shenanigans.

There are more, but thats off the top of my head. ;-)

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more! Including your headquarters for Irongate information.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: