2%
     2%  [ 1 ]
    Total Votes : 35

Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:16 pm  
    Sneak Peek - Regional Map

As promised; thanks for the mediafire idea rasgon Wink

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=t7omdbmly5i&thumb=4

Remember it is still rough; MikelAmroni is making the final polished version. Eager to get your feedback - both negative and positive -

Welcome any suggestions to refine the final map; it is still a work in progress - Although I think it is pretty much complete. I have written overviews for each of the island cities; takes time to create individual maps. I am writing overviews for Istustan, Mur and Risay. The underwater races; Merfolk, Locathah, Sahaugin and Triton.

Galina's excellent overview articles for Komal and Istustan; I have borrowed heavily from these articles as inspiration for my articles.

Last edited by Crag on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:16 pm; edited 9 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:51 pm  

Great stuff Happy

I really enjoy seeing Oerth areas beyond the regular Flaness lands.
    A few questions though... Question

How much history have you lent to the area in its current development? Wars, treaties, disasters, dominant culture, etc? Shocked Any relations/involvement to current Greyhawk canon?

Would this be open for development by interested parties, much like Greyhawk has been, or have you an encyclopedia, 90 volume set, already written? Happy

Great work, looking forward to seeing related items/material for it, something "fresh" and a new thread to weave into the fabric that is Greyhawk.

Cheers

AncientGamer Cool aka BusterBudd
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:54 pm  

Thanks for the postive response so far everyone Smile

Canon wise; I have taken from everything I could find;

Oerth Continient Map
    http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=tpgvkznutar&thumb=4

Older material, LGG, LGG Map, Living Greyhawk sites and Canonfire articles. Most cases just a broad mention but other times a simple sentence sparks the imagination. I have tried to write overviews to flesh out these areas and give them a flavour for the users. If their is enough interest in the teasers for the area I have considered expanding the overviews for a possible future OJ submission. Perhaps once I have submitted the articles; ask the canonfire community which overviews should be broadened; if any, for OJ consideration.

For instance; a mention within the LGG of the Ataphad cities - so I decided to create three overviews; Anzell, Cimmar and Fayhib. Mentions merfork within the Gulf - Offshore development. As for more development; it is always welcome but I have done quite a bit of history within the overviews - I plan to submit them soon.

I just wanted to be sure their was some interest in the area before I submitted so many articles. Wink
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:43 pm  

I do like what you are doing, as I have long enjoyed settings in an oceanic environment. I am not a big fan of the continent map Dragon gave us back in the day, as I had (at least what I felt to be) a better one by that point already.

Still, I would definately run a campaign in your region.
    GreySage

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:19 pm  

I think canonically the mountains labeled Doomspires on your map are the Tyurzi Mountains (Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff, page 4). I mean, Doomspires is a perfectly good alternate/local/Common version of the name, but you might be interested in the published version.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:19 am  

Great work Crag Smile

Being a "mapoholic" I love to see work on the geography of Oerth, especially from expert hawkers.

I would love to add all those details into the Atlas of the Flanaess project when I get to that part.

//Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:16 am  

Agree on the Tyurzi mountains. Empire of Istusstan? God, that sounds like crap. Not your fault since I think it came from the old dragon map, but can't we come up with a better name than that?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:28 am  

Anna wrote:
    Great work Crag Smile

Being a "mapoholic" I love to see work on the geography of Oerth, especially from expert hawkers.

I would love to add all those details into the Atlas of the Flanaess project when I get to that part.

//Anna

Thankfully Crag is an expert hawker :) My own work builds off of the LGG map, and some other sources Crag gave me. And then there's Crag, give the man a base to work off and he's off like a race horse :)
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:50 am  

Thanks for the kind words; everyone Smile

The map has been updated - mountains changed; appreciate it. Plz continue I welcome any help I can get. Despite the confidence of MikelAmroni I would not consider myself an expert. Flattery works for only so long; get back to work - I want my maps. Wink

Btw; asked why no borders - tried it; looked rather sloopy - Overview articles have settlement names and within the text; mentions border features.

By all means anna; plz feel free, I am humbled that you would consider this region for your definitive Oerth map. Happy

As for choosing the Dragon Map; I believe it was the closest official canon continent map available - As for Aquaria; it was a judgement call but I am nothing if not flexible so lets throw it open to the canonfire community.

Aquaria - Yea or Nay - plz state reasons...
    GreySage

Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:02 pm  

txwad wrote:
    Agree on the Tyurzi mountains. Empire of Istusstan? God, that sounds like crap. Not your fault since I think it came from the old dragon map, but can't we come up with a better name than that?

Istustan didn't appear on the Dragon Annual #1 map. It's from this article on Canonfire!

I don't believe Aquaria (or New Empyrea, as the land is called in Egg of the Phoenix) is that incompatible with the nations defined in the Chainmail setting and Dragon Annual #1 map. Both were lands dominated by demihumans until human colonists from Aerdy settled there. The Chainmail lands are vague enough that I think the New Empyrean history (John I, Krellokk the Tangg-lord, etc.) could have happened there.

New Empyrea is only 170 x 270 miles. It could easily be encompassed in Thalos or the Empire of Lynn.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:29 am  

Rather then start a new thread for some simple questions Confused

Writing the Risay Overview;
    Need a nationality and want a new rulership title - Hill Tribes; warrior society. Ancient Oeridian tribes pushed south by baklunish so far but if any of you sages know of an indigeous people for the Komal area? - Any historical ideas.

Language of the Celestial Imperium? - I have Sufangese.

Any information on the inhabitants of the Tyurzi Mountais?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:28 am  

Based on the 2e Giants product, we know Cloud Giants live in the Tyurzi mountains. Their culture sounded like the ainu of old Japan to me. So maybe the human mountaineers could be clannish, shaman-oriented, with no great population concentrations. Given the ainu and Cloud Giant choice of pets, there ought to be massive bears in the Tyurzi.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:32 am  

One other thing, Gygax said online that in his personal campaign, the Sulhaut Mountains were a "Lost World" setting. The Tyurzi and Sulhauts basically touch each other. Thus, you could make the entire complex a "Lost (mammalian) world" setting. The already established Cloud Giants, human clans, and giant bears might mesh nicely with strange giant mammalian species (giant sloths, baluchitherium, saber toothed cats, hyenadon) that have long vanished from elsewhere in the world.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:37 am  

The cities around Istustan sound Persian. Why not call the region the Sayshid Empire or the Empire of Sayshans or something like that? There was a period in the history of Persia when the Sassanid dynasty was in charge so there is an appropriately vague linkage.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:32 pm  

Interesting ideas Smile

Any support for a name change out there?
    Give me your best replacement or do you like Istustan...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:47 am  

It does make a nice gateway into exploring the western part of Oerik.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:44 am  

Hey thought Tyurzi meant doomspire in Baklunish

Risay= ancient pocket of Flan tribes= BIG WIN .

Just my thoughts

My bad didn't see the Oeridian connection in previous post
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:21 pm  

Updated Map

I have completed all the regional overviews including those of the underwater species and have added the Ixitxachitl.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:58 pm  

Looks very good! I've been wondering what's on the rest of the Oerth. Happy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:00 pm  

txwad wrote:
    One other thing, Gygax said online that in his personal campaign, the Sulhaut Mountains were a "Lost World" setting. The Tyurzi and Sulhauts basically touch each other. Thus, you could make the entire complex a "Lost (mammalian) world" setting. The already established Cloud Giants, human clans, and giant bears might mesh nicely with strange giant mammalian species (giant sloths, baluchitherium, saber toothed cats, hyenadon) that have long vanished from elsewhere in the world.

I really like the idea of a lost world/prehistoric mammals Sulhaut region. I'll probably use this.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:40 pm  

Crag wrote:
    Oerth Continient Map
    http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=tpgvkznutar&thumb=4

Okay, that is wicked! That is my new desktop! Cool
    Mad Archmage of the Oerth Journal

Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:24 am  

Knightfall1972 wrote:
    Crag wrote:
    Oerth Continient Map
    [url=http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=tpgvkznutar&thumb=4[/url]

Okay, that is wicked! That is my new desktop! Cool

Thanks I drew that one up a while back its original address is at http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan/oerth.jpg

its still a work in progress for the Beyond the Flanaess project that can be found in the Oerth Journal Writers Forums

I'm still trying to fill in some slots so feel free to toss a question or two in there, interject ideas or just comment at will.
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:53 am  

Duicarthan thanks for the map; I didn't know it was yours.

That is the map I use for Oerth. Wink

Hope you approve of how I have used it?
    Mad Archmage of the Oerth Journal

Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:23 pm  

Crag wrote:
    Duicarthan thanks for the map; I didn't know it was yours.

That is the map I use for Oerth. Wink

Hope you approve of how I have used it?

Cool I'm just glad its getting used. I drew it up for everyone to use. So I guess I approve 100%. =)
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:35 am  

Any interest or location suggestions for adding the Pinnacles of Azor'alq to the map?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: