Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Population of the Gran March and Map of the Gran March
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    Population of the Gran March and Map of the Gran March
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:03 am  
    Population of the Gran March and Map of the Gran March

Populationhttp://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=898&mode=&order=0&thold=0 and Map http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=900&mode=&order=0&thold=0

The tree of the Gran March Gazetteer bears juicy fruit! Well done Anced Math and everyone else who worked on this!
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:38 pm  

Hello all, I confused Greyson by submitting too many articles at once. The pop chart is supposed to be attached to the forthcoming (already submitted) Social Classes of Gran march.

It is fine here, but it is a little bit of an odd pairing.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:04 am  

Good work with the population chart. I am very piqued by the eco factor in particular and I love the level of detail involved in creatures I otherwise would never have dreamed of counting. Very neat and the start of good benchmarks.
    Anyhoo, I know the population article was discussed in chat way back but I'm hazy on the details of the conversations so I apologize if you've fielded this question before. I have one observation now having seen the full data, and I know your disclaimers so it's all cool. I guess all I need answered is why you chose to increase the frequency of humanoids for your version of GM. The 83 guide had Gran March listed with a vague 'Few' humanoid amount and the LGG your base, in my interpretation would include humanoids in that last 1% (2554) after half-orcs. I have no problem with ramping up population totals as that's the theme of the article, but compared to the Land of Iuz, a humanoid friendly land (700k population, 45% orc= 315k) you have GM with almost as many orcs. Naturally this great set of equations once applied to other lands like Iuz or the Pomarj could give them a ton more uncounted humanoids and that is well worth it for any campaign.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:20 am  

One of the thesis for this article was a discussion PSmedger, in which the low populations of the Flaness could be explained by the presence of non- human/demi-human populations. To do this, i tried to get the GM back to a population equivalent similar to medival population levels.

Please understand that this is for the Gran March map as drawn by Yabusama. In this conception GM claims large tracts of "March," that they do not really control. This includes all of the Rushmoors (which is a VAST area, if you atually look at real world comparisons), a large portion of the Dim, the areas around Hochoch, and a large number of Hexes in the Lortmils. When you factor these in and start spreading the humanoids out, I think you will find that there are not a lot of them.

This is very much a take it for what you will article. The Population of the Gran March article, is much closer to Canon assesment of the March, though liberties have been take there also.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:42 am  

FYI, this thread seems to encompass three related articles:

The Population of the Gran March

The Map of the Gran March

The Magical Census of the Gran March.

So, all comments welcome.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: