Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Postfest Anyone? Irongate?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Postfest Anyone? Irongate?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:24 pm  
    Postfest Anyone? Irongate?

Its been awhile since there has been a Postfest here on CF. For those perhaps unfamiliar, a Postfest is a bunch of folks writing an article each on an agreed to topic, the resulting articles being posted to CF as front page submissions to the Topics area. Maybe its time for another Postfest?

As far as topics, I'll toss out Irongate. The redoubtable Maldin and the doughty PSmedger (our host at CF Gary Holian) have been noodling around with Irongate for some time but lately seem to have been more pleasuring themselves with the thought of Irongate than actually finishing their thoughts. Perhaps, we can aid these stalwarts by spurring their creative juices with a Postfest?

Maybe with a submission date in November/December? That would be about 2 Postfests a year, I think.

Others thoughts?

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:45 am  

As a bit of a GH Noob, where is Irongate, and what's nearby? What adventures/stories were set there?
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:16 am  

Sounds like a stellar idea! My thoughts (http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3174&highlight=) have been leaning that way lately. MikelAmroni, Irongate is a city of humans and dwarves, east of Onnwal, south of Ahlissa, north of the SB, and east of Sunndi. It was once the captial of the Iron League, and a staunch for of the GK. Since the wars, and the sundering of the Iron League, it is in a precarious situation.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:21 am  

MikelAmroni wrote:
    As a bit of a GH Noob, where is Irongate, and what's nearby? What adventures/stories were set there?

Irongate is a large, independent city state located on the Azure Sea. It is sandwiched between Onnwal to the West, Idee (Naerie) to the East and the Iron Hills to the North. Further north is the South Province of the Great Kingdom or the United Kingdom of Ahlissa if you are New School.

Irongate is run by mayor Cobb Darg. Its leading magic user is the Lerara (one of those tunnel dwelling Suel) Elaine Mystica. The city itself was briefly written up in Dragon Magazine 351 (print editon) by Maldin and Gary Holian.

Irongate's greatest fame is twofold. It was the foundation for the Iron League that rose in revolt against the South Province before the Greyhawk Wars, and which was allied with Nyrond during that time. Second, it was one of only two Iron League members states to avoid being conquered by the Scarlet Brotherhood during the Greyhawk Wars; the mayor was said to somehow have been "ready for the Brotherhood" and successfully countered their planned takeover.

No famous adventures have been set in Irongate but several in Dungeon Magazine have taken place in the general region.

There is enough information about Irongate to make it interesting, but not much in the way of specifics that would get in the way of pretty much developing it anyway one might want.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:44 pm  

GVD; I am a little confused you chose Irongate rather then one or both of the Urnsts for a possible postfest topic.

Urnsts get overlooked again Confused
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:07 pm  

This is probably better posted under the recent Urnst Thread, but I also wonder as to why Urnst was not the choice. Irongate is not well detailed, but I think it is well defined. I like it, but I have never had chance to game there. I have always been fond of urnst, though I agree with GVD's complaints. I think it is a better post fest case.. it is a place where CF! can define it (if only for our members) and create something.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:33 pm  

By no means am I set on Irongate or any other topics. I was just getting the conversation started. Cool If the Duchy of Urnst seems a more popular topic, you will get no argument from me. Happy Laughing

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:01 am  

Hey... sounds good Happy

I'm interested in what Maldin has to say, BTW Maldin, I like the new icon Wink

Do we just want to concentrate on IronGate or would we be looking to develop other villiages/towns/cities? of reknown? or not so known.

My imagination and MSWord is about all I have, no awesome graphics programs or the skill/experience/time to develop anything more than this.

Will wait to see whats happening with this...

Later

AG Cool
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:02 am  

Postfest is definitely something that needs to come back in grand style, regardless of the topic. It always generated a lot of postive output.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:21 am  

I'm in. Irongate has already gotten some good coverage IMO, courtesy of Maldin and co. so I'd be in favor of something new. Nothing against Irongate. Urnst sounds promising, although plenty of GH lands get no love.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:51 am  

New Places of Mystery or a further detailing of existing Places of Mystery? Seems more appropriate for the usual 1-2 page write up for a POSTFEST entry. For a city you might get a few NPC write-ups, a couple of adventure hooks, and a tavern or two.

Actually, now that I think about it, detailing unique locals in a city could work just as well as Places of Mystery write-ups (complete with adventure hooks) with the possible added bonus of being unlocalized (i.e. able to be incorporated into the DM's city of choice).

Don
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:09 am  

Im up for a PF. Im on my 4th or 5th start-and-never finish topic now. Give me a PF and deadline and Ill submit at least one. Almost any topic is fine with me. If it is between Irongate and Urnst, I pick the latter.

I'll note that it does not have to be location based. Magic items have been done. What about take an old module, say N1, or whatever, and have any topic related to it.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:40 pm  
    Urnst

I'm in favor of an Urnst states-centered (or just one of them) Postfest. Do we have a consensus on that, yet?

Don (Greyson)
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:18 pm  

Urnst is "in vogue" now, so sure, why not. Make it an Urnst states PF!

Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:39 pm  

Vote Urnst

Are we talking County or Duchy?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:26 pm  

Crag wrote:
    Vote Urnst

Are we talking County or Duchy?

Both

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:37 am  

MikelAmroni, if you would like a good overview of Irongate and the surrounding region, check out the Irongate Project pages on my website at http://melkot.com/locations/irongate.html

My opinion? I think a postfest on ANY region of Greyhawk is a worthy cause, and if you're hankerin' on writing something up on a particular location, go for it. Don't wait for a postfest. If there is a groundswell of interest in Urnst (either/both), then by all means run with it and formalize a postfest around it.

If there is ANYBODY interested in writing something on the Irongate region, then let me reiterate my words on the Irongate Project main page...

"I would also like to encourage others to submit original quality material of their own on the Irongate setting for posting to this website."

Submit your articles here for comment and peer-review, or directly to me for editing, and if you so desire, it will become part of the Irongate Project pages! Although I'm certainly ok with it if thats what people want or think they need for motivation, there really isn't a need to formalize that request into a postfest if people think other regions (which don't have the PR benefit of something like the Irongate Project for advertising) could benefit more from a formalized postfest. I've been trying to get people to submit stuff for years, and nobody ever has. (Well, with one exception, that will be going up soon.) This is the reason why I've kept the IGP as a semi-separate section of my website (including different colored background and special logo) all along. Consider this yet another poke to the Irongate-interested community. ;-)

Not happy about the lack of expansion of Irongate? Do something about it! The IGP has always been open for submissions since it was first conceived. Its just that nobody else seems to have been interested (or motivated) enough to submit anything.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... magic, maps, mysteries, mechanics, and more! Including the home of the Irongate Project.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:42 am  

BusterBudd wrote:
    BTW Maldin, I like the new icon Wink

Thanks BB! I finally decided to synch my avatar on all the forums that allow you to upload your own image. (Canonfire, Dragonsfoot, Piazza, EnWorld) Too bad WotC and Paizo don't allow that option.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:29 pm  

Whether or not we go with Urnst or Irongate (or anywhere else), I've already submitted to CF a short piece on names found in and around Irongate; it should be up soon. If you want, Maldin, I can send it to you, too.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:11 pm  

IronGolem wrote:
    New Places of Mystery or a further detailing of existing Places of Mystery? Seems more appropriate for the usual 1-2 page write up for a POSTFEST entry. For a city you might get a few NPC write-ups, a couple of adventure hooks, and a tavern or two.

Actually, now that I think about it, detailing unique locals in a city could work just as well as Places of Mystery write-ups (complete with adventure hooks) with the possible added bonus of being unlocalized (i.e. able to be incorporated into the DM's city of choice).

Don

I like both of these but I really like the places of mystery idea, especially coming up with a new one.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:56 am  

Admin! Please step in and declair this official with topic and dates or an announcement of that such will be coming soon. I've already started on a couple for Urnst.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:29 am  

ttt

Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:43 am  
    Monday

Wolfsire wrote:
    Admin! Please step in and declair this official with topic and dates or an announcement of that such will be coming soon. I've already started on a couple for Urnst.

Okay, on Monday (possibly sooner) I'll come in and get these thing kicked off with an announcement, guidelines and dates.

Don (Greyson)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:59 pm  

Sweeeeet! Thanks Don. Smile
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:17 pm  

Best hold off on this for just a bit Don. A method to the madness for Postfest is being set up first. When that is squared away Postfest will be unleashed once again as a *regular feature*(likely on a quarterly basis).

<ducks thown vegetation in various states of decay>

Yeah, yeah. I'm playing the smallest violin for you now, but when Postfest is up and running, you all better step up the plate. Laughing
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:44 am  

kew, thats kew

smillan, nice article, btw, i really enjoyed it

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:40 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Best hold off on this for just a bit Don. A method to the madness for Postfest is being set up first. When that is squared away Postfest will be unleashed once again as a *regular feature*(likely on a quarterly basis).

<ducks thown vegetation in various states of decay>

Yeah, yeah. I'm playing the smallest violin for you now, but when Postfest is up and running, you all better step up the plate. Laughing

Well, if there's a method to the madness I'll hold onto this rotten head of cabbage for awhile. Maybe I'll take him to work with me, and call him Phil. But you better not let Phil down. Mad
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:42 pm  

Wolfsire wrote:
    kew, thats kew

smillan, nice article, btw, i really enjoyed it

Thanks Wolfsire! Dude... you avatar... that's just disturbing. Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:36 am  

Yes, I’ve become one of the werewolf village people. Happy
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: