Signup
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
Features
Postcards from the Flanaess
Adventures
in Greyhawk
Cities of
Oerth
Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - So Many Hordes - So little Information
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    So Many Hordes - So little Information
    Author Message
    Master Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 17, 2004
    Posts: 899
    From: Computer Desk

    Send private message
    Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:54 pm  
    So Many Hordes - So little Information

    As I understand it; two hordes.
    1) Brazen Horde
    2) Relentless Horde

    The Brazen Horde - Origin - Southern Komal
    Terrorized across the gulf of Ghayar and was invited by Zeif to settle; formented rebellion and absorbed some mercenary paynim tribes. Ran amuck throughout baklunish west and briefly raided beyond fals gap. Parts of the horde broke off as they raided different lands and over time assimilated into the baklunish nations. Ket has a particularily strong nomadic ancestral presence.

    The Relentless Horde - Origin - Plains of Paynim
    Paynim tribes raid baklunish nations particularily Zeif - displaced by Brazen Horde and pushed north. Formed into Relentless Horde and terriorized the north driving the rovers of the barrens ever eastward. Leader dies and Relentless Horde splits into Tiger and Wolf Nomads both claim lands of their own.

    Am I close or way off Question
    Grandmaster Greytalker

    Joined: Nov 07, 2004
    Posts: 1843
    From: Mt. Smolderac

    Send private message
    Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:36 pm  

    Looks good to me. The only thing I'd question is "Ket has a particularily strong nomadic ancestral presence." From the Ket entry in the LGG my interpretation is that the Brazen Horde plundered Ket while it was an "ally" and used it mainly as a platform for attacking Veluna until Keoland invaded Ket. What is your source for that?

    As an aside, from my reading it looks to me like the Tiger and Wolf nomads were both pre-existing before becoming part of the Relentless Horde. Is that the interpretation of others?
    GreySage

    Joined: Aug 03, 2001
    Posts: 3207
    From: Michigan

    Send private message
    Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:49 am  

    smillan_31 wrote:
    Looks good to me. The only thing I'd question is "Ket has a particularily strong nomadic ancestral presence." From the Ket entry in the LGG my interpretation is that the Brazen Horde plundered Ket while it was an "ally" and used it mainly as a platform for attacking Veluna until Keoland invaded Ket. What is your source for that?


    The Brazen Horde plundered Ket for almost 50 years. I'd be very surprised if they didn't interbreed with the locals in that time.

    Quote:
    As an aside, from my reading it looks to me like the Tiger and Wolf nomads were both pre-existing before becoming part of the Relentless Horde. Is that the interpretation of others?


    Yes. It looks like the Tiger Nomads lived in the southern Plains of the Paynims before being thrown together with the Wolf Nomads and joining the Relentless Horde. There may be other beast-themed tribes, long-separated cousins of the Wolves and Tigers, among the Paynims to this day.
    Journeyman Greytalker

    Joined: Jun 13, 2008
    Posts: 184
    From: Houston Texas

    Send private message
    Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:09 pm  

    Speaking of Wolf Nomads, are the Rose Estes Novles about the Wolf Nomad Mika-Oba considered part of cannon?
    Master Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 17, 2004
    Posts: 899
    From: Computer Desk

    Send private message
    Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:33 pm  

    Rose Estes canon Laughing canon Rose Estes Laughing Too Funny Laughing

    As I read it the Brazen Horde settled briefly within several baklunish nations. Given real world there had to have been some assimilation and intermarriage but the horde remained in ket the longest - 50 years. So I assume Ket has the strongest horde ancestry and the largest number of assilimated nomads. Perhaps that cultural infusion explains the fierce Kettite horsemen. Ket does seem to have a larger native calvary culture then most baklunish states.

    Just curious...
    Master Greytalker

    Joined: Jan 05, 2004
    Posts: 666


    Send private message
    Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:59 pm  

    manus-nigrum wrote:
    Speaking of Wolf Nomads, are the Rose Estes Novles about the Wolf Nomad Mika-Oba considered part of cannon?


    Just in case this was a serious question..... NO! *laughs* Rose Estes is generally considered the worst thing to ever happen to Greyhawk and possibly fantasy literature. The joke Greyhawk Castle evokes less loathing generally.

    And i'm pretty sure she was officially disavowed by a subsequent Line Developer, so that's not just fan opinion.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

    Joined: Nov 07, 2004
    Posts: 1843
    From: Mt. Smolderac

    Send private message
    Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:27 pm  

    Crag wrote:
    As I read it the Brazen Horde settled briefly within several baklunish nations. Given real world there had to have been some assimilation and intermarriage but the horde remained in ket the longest - 50 years. So I assume Ket has the strongest horde ancestry and the largest number of assilimated nomads. Perhaps that cultural infusion explains the fierce Kettite horsemen. Ket does seem to have a larger native calvary culture then most baklunish states.

    Just curious...


    That's great analysis. I had never noticed that before. Thanks.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 05, 2004
    Posts: 1446


    Send private message
    Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:35 pm  

    Vormaerin wrote:
    And i'm pretty sure she was officially disavowed by a subsequent Line Developer, so that's not just fan opinion.


    Erik Mona, if memory serves, "de-canonized" both Rose Estes and "Funny" Castle Greyhawk _in canon_. He wrote some article for Dragon/Dungeon/LGJ or some such and by scarsely concealed name had both declared "frauds" and "de-listed" from the Great Library in Greyhawk City by the sage Iquander, who had moved there from Neelix. "Iquander" was, of course, Mona's screen name on the old AOL GH forum.
    _________________
    GVD
    Apprentice Greytalker

    Joined: Jul 05, 2020
    Posts: 21
    From: Delanson

    Send private message
    Fri May 07, 2021 8:59 am  

    Anybody know the text source for the Relentless Horde? Nothing online has any citations and I can't tell fandom from canon.
    _________________
    The eternal war between Law and Chaos flared often in Greyhawk... But the laws of Chance will let neither gain full sway. Quag Keep, Chap 1&2
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

    Joined: May 29, 2018
    Posts: 1465


    Send private message
    Fri May 07, 2021 11:38 am  

    Aldarron wrote:
    Anybody know the text source for the Relentless Horde? Nothing online has any citations and I can't tell fandom from canon.


    Relentless Horde [PPL]
    LGG - 35,86,95,114,133
    GreySage

    Joined: Aug 03, 2001
    Posts: 3207
    From: Michigan

    Send private message
    Fri May 07, 2021 8:34 pm  

    A scenario in Dungeon #136, "The Coming Storm," also mentions the Relentless Horde in its background (page 37).
    Apprentice Greytalker

    Joined: Jul 05, 2020
    Posts: 21
    From: Delanson

    Send private message
    Sat May 08, 2021 4:53 pm  

    Thanks Jason and Rasgon!
    _________________
    The eternal war between Law and Chaos flared often in Greyhawk... But the laws of Chance will let neither gain full sway. Quag Keep, Chap 1&2
    Display posts from previous:   
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

    Jump to:  

    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum




    Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

    Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!


    Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

    PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.32 Seconds