Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Pathfinder. Who's playing?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Pathfinder. Who's playing?
    Novice

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:29 pm  

We just started a new campaign and are using a House Rule version of the Pathfinder Beta. Clerics are the main change, I do not like what they did to some of the Domain powers, we also had some changes to some of the spells, and then adding in what we had from previous 3.5 material... it is taking a bit of time, but will be a great system to use. I was using a generic world initially, but am now moving the game into Greyhawk. I'm glad I stumbled on Canonfire to help me out.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:29 pm  

I like the Cleric domains, but then I remember how uneven the spell lists were by Sphere in 2nd edition, so anything with a balanced arrangement of spells by domain is good by me.

The biggest improvement for me is the Sorcerers.

I can't say enough how great the Pathfinder version is.

For Greyhawk there would be Abyssal Sorcerers working for Iuz, Tharizdum cult could have Abherrant Sorcerers, Silent Ones of Keoland could be Draconic Sorcerers, Fey Sorcerers in Celene and the Verve, Infernal Sorcerers in Ahlissa and The Pomraj.

I can see them fitting into prestigue classes also -
    Draconic Sorcerer becoming Dragon Disciple
    Infernal Sorcerer becoming Blackguard

Rogues are also improved and a much more viable option for those who like getting into combat.

I've downloaded some of the Second Darkness adventures, really good to read, full of flavour.

Only thing I don't like about Pathfinder so far is Gnomes. Vile little buggers. Ask anyone who's played Nethack :P
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:49 pm  

stonechild wrote:
    Actually Ragr, I can answer this having also played both systems. Telemachus, is spot on when he says it's not a bad system, but it doesn't feel like D&D.
    Pathfinder IMO is much more compatable with the low magic setting even though, as has been noted, the characters have experienced "power creep" which was done to make them on par with the classes that came out in later books.
    In 4th ed, characters have powers which feel very much like magical effects to me. Not to mention, certain races have abilites that also feel very magical. And then, there is also the ability for non-casters to cast spells through the use of a cooperative magic type feat, I can't remember the name right now.

I may be wrong in this, but it seems that even more so than 3.5, Pathfinder makes it more a point that the classes in the book are for extrodonary people while most others are one of the npc classes making the power creep more valed. Just a thought.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 am  

"The only way I'll ever change systems again is if something truly mind-blowing comes along that suits my campaign. Very unlikely."

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Best laid plans and all that.........

I thought that, as I started this thread, I'd better update on my experiences lest I be accused of starting something I couldn't finish. Basically, I've completely abandoned Pathfinder for my campaign despite the above comment. Let me say that I still think it's a great system and would happily PLAY in a game tonight, but it just didn't work out for me a s a GM running Greyhawk in my own idiosyncratic style. No one single thing was the problem, more an accumulation of small issues that built up into a bigger unhappiness for which the blame could be laid at a multitude of doors (even George R R Martin plays a part in this as I had started to re-read his Westeros books and realised that it would be very difficult to capture the feel of that game using Pathfinder. I realise there is an excellent d20 game based on the books but incorporating magic is a game breaker).

I considered many different options for my campaign, including a heavily modified Pathfinder (too much work and, ultimately, what's the point), Rolemaster (just wasn't quite the ticket) and AD&D 1e (they say never go back) before deciding on Chaosium's BRP. The BRP system is a complete change (no classes, no levels, small numbers) and there is little or no material that is instantly portable to Greyhawk but, I guess in some perverse way, that was the attraction.

I hope you are all thoroughly enjoying Pathfinder and I wish it all the best (who knows if I'll get to actually play the game) and I'll still be popping in to these threads to steal ideas.
    [/quote]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:44 am  

I am just switching to Pathfinder. Excellent system - much better than 3 and 3.5 edition. So far I've only played in the Pathfinder world but as soon as I get use to the rules I'll be pushing to move to Greyhawk.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:07 am  

pdxwinn wrote:
    So far I've only played in the Pathfinder world but as soon as I get use to the rules I'll be pushing to move to Greyhawk.

From what I've seen of the Golarion material switching to GH should be a doddle; they seem eerily compatible.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:29 am  

Compatible enough I'm considering combining them in to one world - please, check this link: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4391

I could use anyone's advice that may have considered or has already done this.

Thx!
    Novice

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:30 pm  

Pathfinder RPG core rules are going to be the rules me and my game group move to to continue our adventures in Greyhawk.......

Buying WoW GoldBuy World of Warcraft GoldWoW Gold Cheap
    Master Greytalker

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:04 pm  
    Pathfinder RPG for GH

Well, I have to say that, thus far, I couldn't be more thrilled with the Pathfinder RPG ... it has turned out to be the perfect vehicle for me to get my Gaming group into (essentially) 3rd Edition. One of the fellas that plays is a huge White Wolf fan, and he played and DM'd in 2nd Edition prolifically, but hasn't done much in the past several years.

Now that he is comfortable with the fact that there's not all that much that is different (after having looked at the conversion guide published in 3.0) he is great with it, and since I play in GH, he has really taken to the setting as well, and the other players include both novices and experienced D&D gamers, and all are good with the Pathfinder (3.75) rules.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:24 am  

I GM a weekly Pathfinder game set in the World of Greyhawk. We've just started the Godsmouth Heresy. I post session summaries to my blog and you can read the first couple here.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:15 am  

Your comment on the blog about magic being treated as a commodity set the bells of St Paul's ringing in my head.

It's one of the reasons I jumped ship to another system but I'm going to be interested in how you deal with that in Pathfinder.

Good gaming, Cool
    GreySage

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:17 am  

Creighton wrote:
    I GM a weekly Pathfinder game set in the World of Greyhawk. We've just started the Godsmouth Heresy. I post session summaries to my blog and you can read the first couple here.

I commented on a few of your posts over there.

Sounds like a good start. Smile

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:23 am  

I have been using Pathfinder for some time now and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's a brutal system, which adds to the flavor, IMHO. There's none of this, "Oh it's just goblins, no big deal..." attitude. Currently I'm playing in a campaign that is Pathfinder based, but is in the Planescape setting. It's doubly brutal; no one comes to the game thinking "Oh this should be an easy adventure." Nope, everyone is to busy trying to survive to stop and take a look at the view Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:27 am  

My current game is using Pathfinder which to be honest has been my favorite version of D&D that I have played. Though I did tweak it some (the big thing I did was get rid of the boring "Ring of Protection/Cloak of Resistance/Et Cetera" Items), though not as much as I had tweaked 3.0.

I really love that they changed most of the Save or Die spells, and the change to Grapple is a godsend. I always hated it when characters would try to grapple, it took me years to remember it by heart since it rarely came up. For that matter I hated Turn Undead too, I was so happy that the DM screen that I had bought had the Turn rules right on there (though it didn't have the grapple ones. Grrr.)

Currently I am running two Greyhawk games in Pathfinder, one once a weekend (they are 3rd level), and one that I run with my girlfriend during weeknights, and when we can fit it into our busy schedule. Her 'group' just hit level 9.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:58 am  

We're starting up in a few weeks. I've been thinking about a PFRPG Greyhawk game for a long time...since the beta.

With the release of Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat, I feel like we can really crank up the weirdness.

I know there are things I could reveal about the game that might cause folks to reach for torches and pitchforks, but hey... I gotta run this the way I remember it from back in 1983... I have been gone a long time (HERO System, GURPS, Dark Heresy, &c.) and if I'm to return, I do it my way, right?

My players are happy. That's what's important.
    GreySage

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:03 am  

Welcome to Canonfire! jephkay! Glad to have you. Smile

I'm participating in a Pathfinder campaign myself right now and it is the way to go if you like edition 3.5 D&D.

Get on over to the Welcome Forum and officially introduce yourself to the rest of us. We'll encourage you to participate in forum discussions, submit articles, join in on Greytalk Chat, and in all other ways give up your former life to become a full-time member of the Canonfire! community. Happy

SirXaris
    Master Greytalker

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:29 am  
    Give up your life for atonement.

SirXaris wrote:
    Welcome to Canonfire! jephkay! ... and in all other ways give up your former life to become a full-time member of the Canonfire! community. Happy

Sheesh ... that's one heck of an Atonement spell.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: