JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Fireland
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Fireland
    Master Greytalker

Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:29 am  
    Fireland

I am working on a conversion of a home brew island nation to Oerth, as a vision of FIreland. What would the most likely home port for a trader on the east coast of Oerth originate from if they were to trade with Fireland?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:09 am  

Elves from Lendore could be travelling that far initially on some holy quest, and keep coming back for more material desires, or a Sea Baron or one from the Lordship of the Isles, could get a wild hair and try and find what's on the other side, or someone from Rel Astra or the Solnor Compact could make the trip, having recieved some vision that there is something to find in Fireland.

Otherwise all you've really got are the Ice Barbarians, the North Kingdom or Ahlissa. Ratik seems to self involved, although I could easily see an adventuring group with ties to an advisor who liked the old Baron's policies sending a royal scion on a trip to bring back even more wealth and prestige to the Archbarony.

That's all I could see, others may have more ideas.

As an aside, if you ever want to run something out of Gran March, Ratik looks awesome and full of intrigue. Just saying Happy
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:45 am  

Depends on who is able and likely to outfit a trading expedition there. If you're in the current date for GH I'd say The Solnor Compact or Sea Barons. Everyone else seems too focused on other things, although don't forget in late 590 the long ship from Fireland that showed up in Marner asking for aid against some undisclosed problem plaguing that land. As suggested in the Adventure Begins (p. 38) someone might be willing to outfit an expedition from Marner to help the Firelanders and/or open up trade with them, with information gained from Korund of Ratik, the only "civilized" man known to have ever set eyes on those islands.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:00 pm  

I am doing a slight conversion of an existing story. In it, there has actually been another trader/family that has been trading for approximately 100 years with Fireland. They were keeping the route/location of their trading partner secret.

Marner seems like a good location, though I need a few "secret," smuggling ports. I am not familiar with the area, so suggestions for these would be helpful.

Mikel- I have always like Ratik.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:10 pm  

Could you also give me a few more details on Korund of Ratik? I cannot find my Adventure Begins.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:18 pm  

Anced_Math wrote:
    Could you also give me a few more details on Korund of Ratik? I cannot find my Adventure Begins.

Sure, in summary he made a voyage to Fireland with some barbarian friends in 565 bringing back a map he made. There's even an illustration of his return to Marner. As of 591 he is too old to travel and is said to be growing senile as well though it also says he could supply maps and information. That's pretty much it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:30 am  

was Fireland on that map that was published in Dragon magazine?

Mike
    GreySage

Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:51 am  

Qstor wrote:
    was Fireland on that map that was published in Dragon magazine?

Yes, it was.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: