JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - (NGC) Blackmoor 3E
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    (NGC) Blackmoor 3E
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 18, 2004 8:18 pm  
    (NGC) Blackmoor 3E

Goodman Games is producing the long-awaited return of Dave Arneson's (co-creator of D&D) Blackmoor Campaign for 3E.

As most of you will know, Blackmoor was the first setting for Original D&D (even before Greyhawk). Then later (as I understand it), when the Greyhawk campaign was fleshed out for 1E, there appeared in the north of the Flannaess a land called Blackmoor. Now, this isolated realm was without a doubt based on DA's Blackmoor because there are many elements of the original, like: The Egg of Coot, the City of the Gods, Castle Blackmoor, etc.

Later, in '88 (I think), a special "DA series" of adventure modules was released for Basic D&D. These modules were not "merged" into the Basic D&D world. The premise was that your D&D PCs would somehow perform some extra-dimensional travel to get to Blackmoor.

I'm not an expert on all this, but as I understand it, Blackmoor was a world setting that was *separate* from Greyhawk. It's only until Greyhawk was released that Blackmoor was merged into the Flannaess.

Anyway, if you want to check out the upcoming book, go to this link:

http://www.goodman-games.com/4500preview.php

I'm looking forward to the book but what fascinated me most about Blackmoor doesn't seem present in the Table of Contents preview. The things that facinate me the most are: the City of the Gods, the mix of sci-fi into fantasy, and the high-tech gagets. There is no evidence that these are addressed in the upcoming book. I only see a reference to the Egg of Coot who, as presented in the "DA" modules, is somekind of alien who has landed on Blackmoor and is terrorising the populous with robots and humanoid servants wielding laser guns and "death eggs" (grenades). (Also, for those who don't know, the City of the Gods is a giant spacecraft city with lots of crazy 'bots running around trying to kill you.)

Who else will pick up this title? I'm not sure if I will, I'll have to browse through it first; but I'm definitely looking forward to it.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu May 27, 2004 4:25 pm  

Not fair!

This is directly GH related.

It's asking: Who will use this resource to enhance their GH nation of Blackmoor?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: