Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greetings!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Greetings!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:58 am  
    Greetings!

I have lurked in the Canonfire forums over the years, but never posted...until now!

Like many older gamers, the group I played with in school, college, and beyond finally folded a few years ago as each member drifted off to other things and real life obligations. I was able to curb the longings with some computer games, but it was never the same as sitting around a table jittery from Mountain Dew eagerly anticipating the next encounter.

So! I have decided to try a play by IM game with some friends from all over the US and I would like to place the campaign in Greyhawk. This leads me to a few questions. I would welcome (and indeed need) some advice from folks that have run internet based games.

Some technical questions include: We all have an IM program as well as Ventrilo. Are there other applications that are helpful as well?

The more game oriented questions include: Suggestions for a good starting place to get back into the swing of things. I have many of the old sourcebooks and modules, and wonder if any have a suggestion for a simple adventure setting to ease us back into the routine. I believe we will be using 3.5 rules, but I can certainly convert older materials.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:40 am  

welcome friend!

i dont know what is IM, so i cant help you there :(

my suggestion is setting the game somehwere in 576-578 era, and you could use some good material to start, like T1 Village of the Hommlet (near the Gnarley Forest) for level one characters.

As fas as i know, 3.x material are all post GH wars, and i know nothing about

(man, do i know anything usefull to say to you? Shocked )

Also, you could use the city of Greyhawk 2ed box. Theres a lot of adventures, that take like one or two games to finish, and have lots of level range.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:46 am  

Sorry! An IM is an instant messenger application like AIM, Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo! IM and others. Hrm, so go before Up from the Ashes eh? Ok, I will try to look for those bits. I had Village of Hommlet somewhere on pdf so I will go searching for it.

Thanks again!
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:07 am  

i have heaard of people playing by Vassal, a program to play miniature games.

so, you could use miniatures (but i think the only dice the program will roll-for D&D miniatures- is a d20)
    Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:18 pm  

Welcome to the light Xilinar! Wink
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: