Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Where is "Restenford"?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Where is "Restenford"?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:59 pm  
    Where is "Restenford"?

I have a crazy question.. I know it may seem silly to some but for the life of me I cannot find where this town is located. I have the unreleased Deep Dwarven Delve and am familiar with the Secret of Bone Hill and The Assassins Knot, but don't own those modules. Is Restenford mentioned in those as well and where is it located? I thought maybe the Lendore Isles location because of Len Lakofka's campaign but I guess not. Confused

Any help would be great.

Jim
    Master Greytalker

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:17 pm  

Yes. Restenford is located in hex B-78 on the Darlene map, about 20 leagues east of Lo Reltarma on Lendore Isle.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:11 pm  

Thank you brutha! LOL Laughing

Now I can rest.

Jim
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:11 pm  

Soft-paws,

There are two other Restenford resources out there to add to the L1-L3 series. I'm just a completist.

- Dungeon Magazine #171, November/December 1998, has an adventure on pages 10-29, titled "Priestly Secrets", by W. Jason Peck.

- An 11 page web enhancement for WoTC's 3.0 "Song and Silence", by David Noonan, John D. Rateliff, and Penny Williams, titled "The Hand of the Highwayman."

I've never played them, but they do add to the material. Anyone want to comment on these two?

Cheers
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:46 am  

On the subject, I became interested because in PHB2 there are a couple of guilds with the Restenford name and wondered if I should tie them into the same Restenford from L1-3.

Smile
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:03 pm  

Soft-Paws wrote:
    On the subject, I became interested because in PHB2 there are a couple of guilds with the Restenford name and wondered if I should tie them into the same Restenford from L1-3.
    Smile

Actually, the town on Lendore Isle is spelled differently--"RestInford," while the PHB2 guild names are spelled "RestEnford."

The town of Restinford really isn't large enough to justify the size & types of guilds that are in the PHB2 (Restenford Guild of Insurers, Solicitors, and Beggars; and Restenford Sewerworkers Guild).

Additionally, there is the issue of Lendore Isle being taken over by the cult of Sehanine after the GH Wars & the elves expelling all (or most) of the humans from the island.

In short, I would consider Restinford & Restenford to be two different places.
    GreySage

Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:50 am  

It's spelled Restenford in my copies of L1 and L2, though the river is alternately spelled Resten and Restin (on the map). There's one instance in L2 where it's spelled Resternford, but it's Restenford everywhere else.

"The Hand of the Highwayman" spells it Restenford as well, and the main plot involves the elves of Lendore Isle trying to gain control of one of the few remaining human-controlled towns on the island. If it's not the same as the town from L1, it's definitely intended to be a place on the same island.

Quote:
    The elven overlords of the Lendore Isles want control
    of the few remaining human-ruled coastal towns of this
    continent. Their efforts to gain that influence through
    alliances have thus far been rebuffed. Therefore, they
    have decided to use more circuitous means to reach
    their goal.

They have sent two agents, a necromancer and a spymaster,
    to the coastal city of Restenford to start a mysterious
    “crime wave.” Their hope is that this will panic the
    citizenry and force Baroness Andrella to waive the
    town’s autonomy and call on the elves for help.

Hypothesis: the town's population grew with human refugees cast out from elsewhere after the elves took over.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:18 am  

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys. I appreciate any help I receive here as always! Happy

Jim
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:14 pm  

FYI, L1 is available as a free download at the WotC site.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:19 am  

Bumped for future use...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:10 am  

BUMP.

rasgon wrote:
    ..."The Hand of the Highwayman" spells it Restenford as well, and the main plot involves the elves of Lendore Isle trying to gain control of one of the few remaining human-controlled towns on the island. If it's not the same as the town from L1, it's definitely intended to be a place on the same island...
    Hypothesis: the town's population grew with human refugees cast out from elsewhere after the elves took over.

-That's how I interpret it. It would probably be 591 CY, by now, so there have been a lot of changes, but Baroness Andrella is still in charge, as she was in "Priestly Secrets", after the assassination of her parents:

http://www.valdier.com/roleplaying/D&D/Web%20Enhancements/Song%20and%20Silence%20-%20Highwayman_new.pdf
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:07 pm  

Skech wrote:

There are two other Restenford resources out there ...

There is also the excellent Restenford Project blog. It hasn't been updated for a while but it has some excellent articles about what exactly is going on in the town.

https://restenford.blogspot.com/
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:07 pm  
    L+

https://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=23158
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: