Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Question: Are these Competition Adventures set in Greyhawk?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Question: Are these Competition Adventures set in Greyhawk?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:38 am  
    Question: Are these Competition Adventures set in Greyhawk?

I'd like to find out if these three modules are set in Greyhawk or if they are set in a different setting.
    • C3 The Lost Island of Castanamir
    • C4 To Find a King
    • C5 The Bane of Llywelyn
    If they are then where are the Lands of Pellham in Greyhawk? That name doesn't sound familiar to me.

Also, what other obscure adventure modules (i.e. less well-known) are explicitly set in Greyhawk? Is there a list somewhere on Canonfire! (?).

All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Knightfall

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:56 am  

The Lost Island of Castanamir is located in the Gulf of Ghayar, part of the Dramidj Ocean off the coast of the province of Beit Castan in Zeif, according to the Living Greyhawk Journal #5.

I think it was originally just a generic tournament module set nowhere in particular, but the LGJ claimed it for Greyhawk.

Tomb of the Lizard King was retconned in a similar way in LGJ #1 so that it takes place in the Hool Marshes in Keoland.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:16 am  
    Features Link

There is a Greyhawk Modules Locations Index link on the left which points to:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6

which shows module locations in the World of Greyhawk.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:17 am  

It was my understanding that these were FR modules, particularly dealing with the Moonshae Isles.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:13 am  
    Re: Features Link

Raymond wrote:
    There is a Greyhawk Modules Locations Index link on the left which points to:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6

which shows module locations in the World of Greyhawk.

Excellent. Thanks. Wink

I missed that link. Embarassed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:15 am  

IronGolem wrote:
    It was my understanding that these were FR modules, particularly dealing with the Moonshae Isles.

Okay, so C4 and C5 are most likely FR modules. Good to know.

If anyone can confirm that, I appreciate it.

Cheers!

KF72
    GreySage

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:42 am  

IronGolem wrote:

I don't think so, since they use actual Celtic gods, while the Moonshaes don't. FR itself has a few Celtic gods in it (Silvanus, Oghma) but not the ones in C5 (lDiancecht and Arawn).

They're not Greyhawk modules either.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:34 am  

rasgon wrote:
    IronGolem wrote:

I don't think so, since they use actual Celtic gods, while the Moonshaes don't. FR itself has a few Celtic gods in it (Silvanus, Oghma) but not the ones in C5 (lDiancecht and Arawn).

They're not Greyhawk modules either.

Hmmm, so they just might be generic modules. Question

Interesting... I might be able to use them in my homebrewed campaign world without having to change them as much as a GH or FR module. Idea
    CF Admin

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:24 pm  

They were generic tourney modules, no relation to GH. I hadn't been aware of the retconn, Rip, thanks for the tip!

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:58 am  

As grodog said, they were generic mods, but I know that somehwere, Castanamir was retconned into the Drawmidj Ocean... I can't recall where I saw this though, or how canonical it was. In my campaign, I had retconned it (at various times) into both the Azure and Oljatt Seas as well.
    GreySage

Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:34 am  

Here's the canon I'm aware of concerning Castanamir:

Lost Island of Castanamir, page 4:

Quote:
    Castanamir was an 18th-level mage and hero of the Goblin Wars fought 200 years ago. For a while he led the Council of Twelve and the Magician's Guild, but he was a stubborn, willful mage and soon his popularity dwindled. Finally, feeling betrayed and resentful, he went to live on an island in the Sea of Pastures, and those who remained his friends reported that he was growing eccentric and had fallen in with characters of an unsavory reputation. Then one day his island just disappeared.

Castanamir was an acknowledged master of traditional spellcasting and a skilled enchanter. He was also a scholar interested in the abstract mathematics of network topology. Some of his works revealed a sense of humor, although those of a later date seemed rambling and confused. When his island disappeared he was a rich man and possessed a formidable collection of arcane lore.

Lost Island of Castanamir, page 2:

Quote:
    When Castanamir withdrew from the Magicians’ Guild, he was a wizard of the Eleventh Circle, and only a handful of mages were more powerful than he. He was renowned not only for his special spells, some of which remain secret to this very day, but also for his scholarship. He knew the legends of humans, demi-humans, giants, and goblins; theoretical and applied mathematics; dweomercraeft; metaphysics; and secrets of the astral, elemental, and ethereal planes. He had also a sense of humor, and while a visit to his home may prove fatal, it is more likely to amuse.

Lost Island of Castanamir, page 28:

Quote:
    Gingwatzim are beings or raw spirit energy from the Ethereal Plane, where they normally reside... They were conjured to this plane by Castanamir...

Greyhawk Ruins, page 91:

Quote:
    Gingwatzim only exist upon the Prime Material Plane when summoned from their native Ethereal Plane by a powerful wizard. The Lost Spells of Castanamir that did this are probably at least 7th level...

A Guide to the Ethereal Plane, page 64:

Quote:
    Entities of synthetic origin, gingwatzim are blobs of raw life force. Thsoe few that escaped their creator (a prime by the name of Castanamir) now reside on the Ethereal.

Living Greyhawk Journal #5, page 17:

Quote:
    BEIT CASTAN: Once considered part of the Bakhoury Coast, this town came fully under Zeifan administration following the self-exile of its famed Last Amir two centuries ago...

Dragon #295, page 94:

Quote:
    That said, they say the gingwatzim were first bound by the legendary Last Amir of Beit Castan...

That fixes Castanamir as a native of Oerth. Because the town of Beit Castan is on the Bakhoury Coast by the Gulf of Ghayar, this would seem to place his lost island there, too... but he can evidentally make it appear and disappear at will, so I suppose it could manifest anywhere.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:54 pm  
    Whoa

I certainly wouldn't have caught that! I liked how you referenced your documents too.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:53 pm  

Actually the Bakhoury Coast is situated on the zefian coast; between Nafiq and Beit Castan. While Beit Castan was classes as a coastal city the Bakhoury Coast reached the Gulf of Ghayar but with the zeifan annexation of Beit Castan the Bakhoury Coast comprises a coastal stretch of shoreline. The Bakhoury Coast is currently occupied by zeif.

Btw; Have written an article: Bakhoury Coast (Gazateer) and will submit soon.
    Master Greytalker

Fri May 22, 2009 8:37 am  

I have tentative plans in my campaign to adapt C4 / C5 to Perrenland. In a time of great peril (Iuzian invasion?) the heroes are called upon to resurrect Perren to lead and save Perrenland. The tombs would be set in the Mounds of Dawn, infiltrated by Iuzian Undead, the ambush/chase would take place near the border with Ket, bugbear lair in the Yatils. I think most of C4 would be an easy conversion, the "celtic" element blending well with Old Flan Perrenland. As far as C5 and dinosaurs and transgendered ancient kings....maybe not. That would require more extensive adaptation, and would probably take place in the Land of the Dead.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: