Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - T1-4 On Hottest Selling Digital Product List, 2008
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    T1-4 On Hottest Selling Digital Product List, 2008
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:45 am  
    T1-4 On Hottest Selling Digital Product List, 2008

RPG Countdown (http://rpgcountdown.com/) has a list up of the "100 hottest selling digital RPG products of 2008". Guess what's #43? The nearly 25-year old Temple of Elemental Evil. No mention of methodology, so who knows how accurate this is.

Direct Link: http://rpgcountdown.com/2008

There's also an audio MP3 of the countdown http://rpgcountdown.com/rpg_countdown_2008.mp3. ToEE is about 79:30, and there's a very brief interview with Frank Mentzer about his involvement with the project. Nothing oerthshattering.

-Phil

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:06 pm  

That's something WotC would do well to take note of: good stuff always sells, regardless of how old it is. "Planned obsolescence" only works with cars and computers.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:25 am  

a question:

would be legaly possible to wizards to reprint ToeE?

i mean, does it belong only to Wizards?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:52 am  

rossik wrote:
    would be legaly possible to wizards to reprint ToeE? i mean, does it belong only to Wizards?

I'm almost sure they could, and it does. The original was copyright TSR, Inc., not Gygax (and IIRC, EGG had to sign over all his copyrights when he was forced to leave TSR). They did a novel and the Return to ToEE, after all. Also - their settlement with KenzerCo over KoDT allowed Kenzer to publish the Hackmaster module Temple of Existential Evil (http://www.amazon.com/Temple-Existential-Evil-Brian-Jelke/dp/1594590044/).

I don't think a reprint would see the light of day for a couple of reasons. Practically, it was published in 1985 which means no electronic proof - it would have to be redone to be reprinted. Second, TSR and WotC have rarely reprinted stuff from previous editions - it cannibalizes sales from current stuff. The only exception I can recall is the reprints in the Silver Anniversary boxed sets.

I think an electronic copy is the best you're going to be able to get without getting it from ebay.

-Phil

(updated to add link to Hackmaster ToEE, updated again to clean up mistakes. Sheesh.)

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:58 pm  

They updated T1 to 4e and it is is available as part of the current DM Rewards Program(I still haven't received mine, and I signed up for it in June). Like the original T1 it could be followed up with a full T1-4 release a while later(total speculation here). If so, sure, it would be 4e, but one can convert back to 1e easily enough.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:08 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    They updated T1 to 4e and it is is available as part of the current DM Rewards Program(I still haven't received mine, and I signed up for it in June). Like the original T1 it could be followed up with a full T1-4 release a while later(total speculation here). If so, sure, it would be 4e, but one can convert back to 1e easily enough.

Ah, good point. I was a little too literal I think - reprinting the original T1-4 in all its 1e "glory". ;-)

I'll have to look into the DM rewards stuff - I'd like to see how different a 4e version is from 1e for T1.

-Phil
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: