Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - The Artwork of Icarus
The Artwork of Icarus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: "isn't the Oerth FLAT?" Reply with quote

Come, come ... every farmer and peasant knows there's only as much as one can see in front of their face. They've heard all that silly speculation from sages and rumours from ridiculous people who claim to travel, but, everyone knows that some of those weird monsters and things don't exist. Least of all those floating rocks way up in the air that people say have air and other people living on them. And what do you mean about these people across the great oceans? Everyone knows there's nothing but water and sea monsters out there, and those ridiculous tales of explorers are nothing but tavern tales and fanciful legends to make young men want to leave their responsibilities behind.

Of course Oerth is FLAT! That fella Copernicallico doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. And quit looking behind that curtain. There's nothing there to see! Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks and appreciation Reply with quote

I just want to take a quick minute to say thanks and give a little appreciation for the views and comments that you guys have offered. You have really helped me feel validated in the artwork I do.

That being said, I really did expect a comment or two about the content of the map itself. Since I am turning this into a large project, though it may not be done soon, I would like to hear what you guys think about the depiction itself and the placement of places like fireland and stuff. So, while this is just an artistic representation, I would eventually like to put it out there for all of the fans to have and would like a little constructive criticism about the content - especially about how places should be labeled and the decorations that should go on it like sea monsters or cherubim blowin the zephyr winds in the four corners or what have you. Or if I should label things like Keiland when it was an Emipre, or the Great Kingdom, or labelling things from the Dragon Annual map, or using the OJ Beyond the Flanaess project.
At any rate, I hope to have a bit of feed back, an I look forward to what you guys have to input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Argon
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icarus artwork is great now if we can only tear him away from World of Warcraft. Maybe we can be blessed with more of his artwork.
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Newest stuff around Reply with quote

Hey there, guys!

I turned into a hermit! I just wanted to pick back up where this whole thing left off ... with artwork again. These two are likely the best of what the past nine months has given.
This first is called "The Brothers Three". It is a depiction of the three sons of stern Alia. The three gods of war that appear in the WoG. ... Heironeus, Stratis and Hextor. It's not quite finished yet, with Hextor needed a little more work and a bit of revamping - I was mistaking his face with Erythnul's because I didn't remember what his face looked like! Oops! At any rate, i am thinking about a second version afterwards, of the three, but using Hextor's human aspect - which more resembles his two brothers - rather than the monstrous form.

Unlike some of my other, more recent drawings, this is done in graphite on stock paper.
Sheesh! Can you imagine getting these guys all in the same room for a photo op?

Next, below is one of my favs ... it is an example of the best work I have done, period. It is also done in graphite on stock paper. It was originally a little sketch I did and was a study of hands, really ... then months later, I wanted to do a full version ... it kind of draws on both Greco-Roman mythology, and also on Shiva for the multi-armed aspect of it. I wanted each hand and arm to be different, but some of them ended up being my own hand/arm used as a model. The uppermost arm stayed uncompleted for months before I really got the idea of what I wanted to do with it.

So, tell me what you think, and let me in on the fact that I got the gods all wrong, and Medusa's all messed up. ... I'd love to hear what you guys think would be good to do with these.

Take care, and there's more coming up soon.

Last edited by Icarus on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:07 am; edited 9 times in total
Argon
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icarus,

I think your right about the human aspect of Hextor for the three brothers picture.

The medusa reminds me of an aspect of shiva. I think it could also be a really cool creature In one of the Bakluni lands.

"An ancient evil from a time before the Twin Cataclysms".

"In a realm below the Queen of serpents lurks".

"All things scaled answer her call".

"They serve there queen forked tongues and all".

"Whisper lies of her demise".

"That is when we shall fall".

"When we believe she exists no more".

"This is when the serpent strikes".

"Beware her fangs, as she need not strike twice".

"It takes but one bite, and you'll Submit".

"To the poisons of Issa'met".
smillan_31
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Icarus! Glad to have you back. I have to give much respect for the hands. Hands and feet! I always hated drawing them.
Ragr
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to use the image in my campaign (and I most certainly will) it won't be a Medusa, more THE Medusa.

Excellent, Icarus.
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: The Brothers Three and "The" Medusa... Reply with quote

Hey there, guys! Thannks for the responses! Glad to have feedback on using my art for gaming ... it's been a while since I've had any.

Smillian ... you're right. Hands are terribly difficult. Interestingly, I often use myself for a photo reference (holy crud, did I really model for a *medusa*?). In fact, the previous illustration with the wemic, I did that by using not only myself, but, Anna with me to ge tthe poses right. Anyway, that upper hand - and all of them in general - made me look like a retard while I drew. I would draw for a few seconds, then turn my hand to face me in this weird, rigid, nearly spastic-looking clench, then release it and draw for a few more seconds, and then psuedo-spasm again. <chuckles> Good times.

Argon ... yep, the Shiva connection is totally there ... although, I think that Shiva is often depicted as being male. Shiva only is usually shown with four arms, and I have been asked if this was intended to be a half-fiendish marilith-medusa. Which, <meh>, you know ... maybe somewhere in my subconscious, it is. Who knows. I think that I really sort of have a thing with monsters and such with multiple limbs, as this recent stuff shows. I'll try to get another of my pieces up soon, which is an enormous demon with multiple arms, called "The Beast Within". Coming soon, to a web browser near you!

Also ... all of the quotes and stuff ... muah-ha-hah! You've given me material! I embarked on writing a new campaign for my home game. It's Greyhawk, but it takes the form of a Yuan-ti invasion, based on the "Incursion" campaign (Dragon Magazine, June 2003). And the big, bad, evil guy (gal?) is the Brood Mother of the Yuan-ti! And guess what all your snake-y comments inspired? "Issa'met" ... great name for her! I think I will abscond with that one, if you don't mind! She might be in there with the medusa soon enough!
Excuse me ... I meant to say "The Medusa". <lighthearted conspiratorial wink> Wink

Last edited by Icarus on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Argon
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icarus,

I would be honored if you where to take that name for your drawing.

Good to have you back, your artwork feels like a title for a well written story.
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: The Beast Within and Caelestis Sophia Reply with quote

And so, here I am again ... I promised to show you guys The Beast Within, and so I am putting it up, with a companion piece. Obviously, it's an heavenly angel/hellish demon type thing ... they were drawn almost back-to-back. Both were done in graphite on stock paper, using only an HB 0.5 lead. ... Caelestis Sophia was completed in about 14 1/2 hours, while The Beast Within was 28 1/2. Both were done in the last week of July '10.

There's really not so much about this one... I had drawn the Caelestis Sophia (below) and a fella I knew told me that I should do "some evil ****" ... so I did. A notable point: I don't ever recal having done intentional gore before. He was offering continual advice but, as I let my inner stuff pour onto the sheet, is became more and more my own. Parts were left undone as I struggled to find a way to complete it. The face was te final part ... I had struggled with it in sketches and couldn't really find the way I wanted it to look. So, I marched over to a mirror with sketch pad and pencil in hand, an I looked straight into the mirror and screamed at it. ... Evil That became the face of the Beast. Laughing

The next is Caelestis Sophia - and if any of you are up on Latin (especially ecclesiastical Latin) then you know that the title means, essentially "Heavenly Wisdom". In mos ancient texts, Wisdom is personified as a woman, and I was in the mood for drawing an angel ... when I couldn't figure out what to do with her outstretched hand, I thought, "I know! A book!" Thus, I began to think of her as the personified angel of Wisdom. ... and that, as they say, is that.

So ... I don't know how useful these would be in a game ... I am thinking of shifing the contrast in The Beast within, because the scan looks a little washed out compared to the original. What do you think that these could be used for? Can you think of how they might be used as allies or foes? And which is which? Could the angel be the foe, and the demon the friend? (maybe not with that corpse in his hand! Shocked ) At any rate ... I hope y'all like 'em.

Oh, and Argon ... I've been braggin' on that particularly poetic turn of phrase ... I am telling all my friends IRL that might have been the coolest thing anyone's ever found to say about my art.
Argon wrote:
Your artwork feels like a title for a well written story.

Icarus

Last edited by Icarus on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 am; edited 4 times in total
Argon
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see pictures of Caelestis Sophia in temples of St. Cuthbert.

It could be a common blessing. May Lady Sophia bring you wisdom in the coming year.

Or Lady Sophia please grant me wisdom in my decisions, and may the cudgel enact the words of peace in the name of Rao.

The last one can be a Veluna blessing.

For the beast within well maybe something like this.

"Of Blackened blood".

"Of Shadows mist"

"The Old one lies"

"Of truths Abyss"

"Cover your ears"

"Close thy eyes"

"Look within, were darkness rise"

"Commit your soul, to live in sin"

"Unleash the one"

"The Beast Within"

A curse or ritual of summoning or a demonic taint upon the soul. This could also be a Warlocks initiation to invoking his powers.
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work, Icarus. I'm just glad you didn't tell us that you posed nude in front of a mirror for Caelestis Sophia. Shocked Smile

Argon, that's a great short rhyme. I hope you don't mind me editing it just a bit: Confused

"Close th[ine] eyes"

"Look within, w[h]ere darkness rise"

SirXaris
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, as always, Icarus. Happy

Of course, I've come to expect that from you. Wink

Keep it coming, my friend. Cool

Nice "go" at poetry Argon. You should start a "thread" and show us more of it. Evil Grin
Ragr
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really excellent stuff, Icarus.

I don't tend to use much in the way of extra planar stuff IMC anymore but I'm pretty sure I can keep these up my sleeve in case I do again; the weird thing is, when I saw the first picture I thought "Oh! Chaos Infused Gargoyle Lord". And I thought I was drinking ordinary tea Confused
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Gargoyle infused Chaos Lord? Reply with quote

Ragr wrote:
... the weird thing is, when I saw the first picture I thought "Oh! Chaos Infused Gargoyle Lord". And I thought I was drinking ordinary tea Confused

Wow ... that's friggin' hilarious, man! OMG. But, I think that the really great part is that you've got stuff like that in your head. i put games terms to things that I see all the time, and sort of do a "Linean Classification" of all the things that it could be ... but I have to admit tht I never exactly thought of that one.!!

There's a great question, actually!! What on earth is it? A Gargoyle Lord? Baa'tezu? Tanar'ri? A Fiendish Tainted Raging Gom'gol Slavemaster? There could be all kinds of templates and monsters this could be!! Come up with some, and see what we can come up with! Fun!

Glad that you guys are still keeping up with the thread. I was thinking of putting a GH Discussion topic to remind people that it's still there ... especially for the people that haven't ever seen it - new users and such. There's a lot of people, I think, that only ever look at the headlines on the main page and don't do too much searching of the forums.

At any rate, thanks for the views, guys.
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gargoyle infused Chaos Lord? Reply with quote

Icarus wrote:
There's a lot of people, I think, that only ever look at the headlines on the main page and don't do too much searching of the forums.

Yep! "Laziness" is alive and well! Laughing Laughing Laughing

We're "still here," my friend. Keep it coming! Happy
Argon
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Xaris Mystic Scholar,

Thanks for the comments. Truth be told Icarus artwork coupled with me playing a bard for the Spine Castle campaign has really inspired me. Although I must find a way to incorporate my Chanter of Spirits mantra a little more.

You'll find a little bit of poetry in my last postfest submission.

http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml//modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1001

"Rosewood's Voice

Of supple wood, of rosy glow,
Mistress of wind, my heart endures.
Your lips to mine, and mine to yours,
The toils of man, are made undone.
When your voice is heard, divine I become
Now you are gone, forever lost.
My heart is nothing, in angst, in pain,
Without you I wither, each day."

I also posted it here you can follow the exploits of Aoric the bard who speaks for the dead in the Spine Castle forum.

http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=48

Icarus keep up the great work!
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Swamp hovel of Maderick Darkstone Reply with quote

It's been a few weeks since I have posted anything new, but, I am working on an Illustration of a famous Bandit Kingdoms red dragon by the name of Morganstaler. There's been a couple of sketches for placement and layout, and the first version ought to be ready on Thursday.

But, in the meantime, I wanted to put something up on the thread. So ... this is actually an older drawing, but I am pulling it out of the archives, so to speak for the Postfest XV article I am writing today ... The Swamp Hovel of Maderick Darkstone.
It is originally 5 1/2" x 8", done on stock white paper, in graphite, with a 0.5 lead (HB, and 2H). The trees are modeled on mangroves, if memory serves. It's intended to be something like a mud-dauber's nest, and a dwarf-made "cave".

The NPC was actually once a PC, and he became important to the campaign story to the point that nearly 10 years later, I am still using him. He's a worshipper of Muammon Duathal (or Marthammor Duin, if you prefer a different pantheon). So, he's a scout-guide sort of fellow, but has a lot of other things to offer those who find themselves in the swamp. Trader, merchant, pawn-broker, quest-giver ... just about anytime I need someone to be helpful to the PCs. He's a bit surly, and is very isolated, so isn't exactly your average dwur.

My question: What do you guys think that I could do with the hovel? Interesting things to place there, things to do there, or unusual ways to put Maderick in a campaign? "Lairs and Sidetreks" is the name of the game! Come up with some interesting ideas, and I will put them in the article!

Icarus

Last edited by Icarus on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Argon
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the background to this piece of art. The trees alone are inspiring.

However if you like the entrance to the hut looks like it is very well built stone. Perhaps the swamp hovel it self looks like nothing more than a small hovel. However in reality the hovels owner can hide other rooms or chambers in pocket dimensions stone keys which can be pushed into certain hovel walls can lead to others planes or places plane of earth, fire, water, air or maybe to other hovels all over Oerth its not like swamps do alot of business.
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argon, read 'TheChanter of Spirits" piece. Nice work! Happy Cool
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Maderick's Citadel of the Planes Reply with quote

Argon wrote:
I really like the background to this piece of art. The trees alone are inspiring.

... the hovels owner can hide other rooms or chambers in pocket dimensions ... other planes or places plane of earth, fire, water, air or maybe to other hovels all over Oerth ...

I know it's probably obvious, but the trees and the scene are inspired by Yoda's hut on Dagobah from Star Wars. I really love swamps for some reason. I have run entire campaigns in the Hool marshes.

The pocket-planes remind me of the Citadel of the Planes from the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook.
Stonghold Builder's Guidebook wrote:
No part of the citadel of the planes sits on the Material Plane, but an unassuming door ... is
actually a portal that leads to the central trophy hall on the Plane of Shadow. From there, portals lead to other rooms on other planes.

I really like this idea. I think that I will present it as an idea in the article. Thanks, Argon, for the spark and leading to a resource; I'm guesing that you don't mind if I run with it. I am not going to do it quite the same, but will make it interesting to say the least!
Argon
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icarus run with it!

Every author puts his twist into what he writes otherwise there just copy machines. Look forward to seeing your work.
dymond
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing art Icarus. MY daughter is a budding artist and I showed her your work and she was totally blown away!
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Dymond's daughter- artist Reply with quote

Dymond ...
That's really cool that your daughter is a budding artist. And it's even cooler that you encourage her art like that. I'm not certain how old she is, but let her know that art is something that she should never, ever let go of. When I was a teenager, I didn't draw the way I do now, but, it was a matter of practice. I never found anything that I loved doing more than just sketching and doodling, and eventuallly, it came to the point that I learned more about what I was doing. I was self-taught for most of my drawing "career", and that's why I took so long getting to where I've gotten - I've been drawing for over 25 years now.
But, now I am getting ready to attend the Academy of Art University in San Francisco to eventually earn my Master's in Illustration, and I've never learned more from art than when studying in a formal setting. They have online courses, ranging from beginners to advanced courses.

At any rate, I was talking with the guys in the weekly Thursday night Canonfire group last night, and it looks like I will be posting a new sketch for the cover of the Bandit Kingdom's "Rogue's Gallery" ebook. So ... look for that. Since, you know, I've been fudging about letting anyone look at it yet. Oh, and be sure she learns about deadlines. Shocked Laughing Laughing
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: First glances at Cranzer Reply with quote

Alright ... so, I decide to go with something a little different than what I had been planning. I am going with a single portrait of Cranzer, and possibly putting Morganstaler (big ol' red dragon) in the background. ... also, I'm thinking of putting a close-up portrait in the corner.

This is entirely digital, drawn using Corel Painter 11, a wacom Intuos3 digital drawing tablet, on an Nvidia 9600.
This is a 3rd Edition stat block for Cranzer, with a little description at the end. • BDK6i-01 The Great Hunt, 596 CY, BDK6i-05 A Heroic Return, BDK8i-04 All Evil Things...
• LESSER BONEHEART CRANZER CR 18
• NE male human
• HD 18; Wizard 7/Loremaster 8/Archmage 3 (Iuz)
• Languages: Common, Abyssal, Draconic, Elven, Drow Sign Language; tongues
• Abilities: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 19, Wis 14, Cha 12
• Signature Gear: bonewand, brazier of commanding fire elementals, dagger +3, ghastrobe, mirror of mental prowess, rings of free action, invisibility, and protection +5, wand of fire
• Unusual SQ: High Arcana (Mastery of Counterspelling, Mastery of Shaping, spell-like ability [2/day—chain dispel])
• Signature Feats: Brew Potion, Craft Construct, Improved Counterspelling, Reactive Counterspell, Portal Master
• Signature Skills: Concentration, Craft (alchemy), Decipher Script, Heal, Knowledge (arcana, religion, the planes), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
• Description: At 5'4" tall and bald, Cranzer is far from an imposing figure. Affecting dark blue robes with blood-red and gold-trimmed edging, he looks more like a tailor than the master alchemist and wizard that he is.

So ... let me know what y'all think, especially if you have ideas that might fill the description, or if you how you think I might show a particular piece of equipment, or anything. I would love to have a little input on this one, as it's for a cover piece for an ebook that's currently being written.

Last edited by Icarus on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: