Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The jelly dungeon....
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The jelly dungeon....
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:45 pm  
    The jelly dungeon....

We all know the fine pleasantries of old Juiblex the faceless lord,living in his heap of garbage in the lower abyss.His worshippers are far and few inbetween and most don't even know if thier god even has an agenda at all except as a ball of giant snot.

What i have in mind,is an adventure completly centered around the followers of juiblex in hopes that it would fascilitate a different sort of environment for player characters as an entire dungeon of slime.

Slime covered walls,dripping cielings,pools of corrosive acid or even poisonous slime,complete with every concieveable type of gelatin,slime,ooze and pudding type of creature one could imagine,im sure you get the picture.

The problem is there's not really a whole lot of sources on the subject of juiblex,im sure if i painstakingly searched the CF archives i could find something,but i have a feeling that would be like the needle in a haystack thing.Even still,i'm not 100% certain where i could even place a dungeon/temple of that sort,i would think underground since a lot of rogue drow tend to worship juiblex from time to time.

I am open to suggestions...

Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:16 pm  

Hmm, Zuggtmoy comes to mind. There is some overlap between the two demonic powers. It occurs to me that having her minions involved in Jubilex's plans would spice some things up. I don't imagine Jubilex having too many worshipers, as the ToEE states that Zuggtmoy doesn't. Afterall, powers devoted to slime, ooze and whatnot aren't too appealing to humans. I digress. Having the PCs team up with the followers of Zuggtmoy to oppose a powergrab by Jubilex's worshipers would make for some interesting storytelling, provided, of course, whether the PCs are willing to help the followers of Zuggtmoy at all.

These are some ideas that i'm riffing with:
    Followers of any demonic powers would be secretive. Perhaps his followers hav settled below a local keep or in the sewers of some small town or city. A town, or city, that recently suffered some severe losses in a war (Greyhawk War?) would be ripe for a cabal of fanatical, and powerful, cultists to take over. Of course, they would see the necessity of doing it secretly. The PCs coming into town and picking up on 'somethings amiss here'; a series of kidnappings (if the cult is being secretive), or if the cult has dominated the upper echelons of society a new deity (an alias for Jubilex) has come into town (of course something like a 'savior deity' complete with some faked threats to the city put down by the new priests would be possible), more likely though they would want to keep things secret (you can do a total secret conspiracy theme here). This plot would naturally lead to the PCs discovering the truth of whats going on, people would think the PCs were crazy or paranoid and not believe the horrible sacrifices of young virgins to disgusting pools of slime - being the demonic power of slimes and whatnot it wouldn't be too far out to create a mold that takes mortals as hosts and slowly devours their brains and eventually turns them into slimes. Of course, once the priests learn the PCs have found them out it is likely the priests will turn to outright martial law and the PCs can help rally the resistance, well, those brave enough to resist. Once the PCs have overthrown the evil priests then they would pursue the survivors into the depths of their underground slime-filled maze for the finale. In this scenario I would have a personification of the Jubilex - a result of the sacrifices made to him. In the end, if you want to have some drow involved, this would be an elaborate plot for the drow to get more slaves or to secretly control an area of the surface, naturally, if they find that their plot is ruined, they would probably kill the priests who botched the job and try to get away. This could be a recurring villain later on.

A dungeon to him, i think, would be mostly a series of caverns, possibly in a hilly area or in a forest, or maybe even sewers of a city.

Anyways, those are my ideas, hope they help.

The Grey Mouser
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:33 pm  

That's a lot of good info mouser,i sort of envision an underground war so to speak between zuggtmoy and juiblex,which would take place between thier followers shorty after the ToEE,seeing as how Juiblex kinda stole parts of her abyssal layer while she was out of town in a manner of speaking.
    Since juiblex doesent exactly communicate very well with his followers,I have to assume that any gathering of worshippers would have to be on thier own terms and not the will of the demi-god,but sewers does sound like a better locale than a swamp or the moors or something.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:08 am  

I kind of wondered about a "Cult of Jubilex" a bit ago and came up with something you might use. I started pondering on how some of the more powerful oozes (like black puddings) gain sentience when they get big enough. Then I had a flashback to Dean Koontz's book "Phantoms" (that got made into a movie with Peter O'Toole & Ben Affleck in 1998). The book is about an ancient ooze deep underground with some killer powers.

This kicked off a variety of ideas involving a super ooze living deep in the underground somewhere that was either a high priest or perhaps an aspect of Jubilex. Throw in some powerful sentient oozes as followers and some humanoids that also worship Jubilex (3rd edition prestige class oozemaster definitely works here). With all sorts of lesser oozes being used as guards, pets, and traps.

I also like throwing my players curveballs and the book/movie gave me an idea for several new twists on old monsters: a new ooze that was based on the Yellow Musk Creeper, it would infect living hosts and turn them into ooze/zombies under its control. Another ooze that was based on doppelgangers and could read thoughts and shapeshift/infiltrate.

The underdark setting could also bring in some elements of Drow and Ghaunaduar (drow god of slimes and oozes)
    Master Greytalker

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:19 am  

Some info on Juiblex can be found in Night Below and (shudder) WG7 Castle Greyhawk. Here's my Deitybase entry on "him":

Quote:
    JUIBLEX (Lesser God)
    (JOO-bleks)

The Faceless Lord

AL CE; WAL CE; SoC Slime; SY Raised pseudopod dripping slime (obsidian); AN Oozes, slimes, jellies; CR Brown, green, yellow, gray; HD Daily; PoW Remote temple (usually underground); CL Clerics; PN Abyss.

There is no question that this is the most disgusting and loathsome of all demons. Juiblex is foul and nauseating in the extreme. His dripping form can lash forward to cause terrible damage — both from the force of his blow and the caustic properties of his noisome secretions. Juiblex is reclusive and hates intrusion by any form of normal creature but surrounds his person with slimes, jellies, and puddings. He is similarly shunned by other demons and other creatures. Juiblex has no set form — he can spread himself into a vast pool of slime or raise up into a towering column of disgusting ordure 18' or more in height — but he usually takes the form of a 9' tall cone-like heap, striated in disgusting blackish-greens, foul browns and yellows, and sickly translucent grays and ambers. From this mass protrude several glaring red eyes.

Juiblex's Clerics

Sex M (most), F; AB Standard; AL CE; AEx None; WPN Any; AR Standard; RA Amber robe, black tabard, silver skull cap; PW 1) immune to disease, as paladin, 9) summon black pudding to serve for 3 turns if underground; TU Command at –4 levels.

Juiblex very rarely has human worshipers. He is little known on the surface of Oerth except for a few small cults in large, decadent cities. In the Underdark, Juiblex is more widely known, particularly among the dark olve. The sole duty of the priesthood appears to be to serve Juiblex; cultists do this from a demented sense of reverence. Clerics of Juiblex are known as Ooze Masters.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:53 am  

I seem to recall an old fan-created adventure of a ruined dwarven settlement in the Mistmarsh that contained...

*** SPOILER ALERT! ***

|
    |
    |
    |
    V

Juiblex's soul object!

Last edited by IronGolem on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Master Greytalker

Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:09 am  

IronGolem wrote:
    I seem to recall an old fan-created adventure of a ruined dwarven settlement in the Mistmarsh that contained Juiblex's soul object!

That'd be "Ruins of the Mistmarsh," by Sean Williams. It was published in The Oerth Journal #11.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:23 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    Some info on Juiblex can be found in Night Below and (shudder) WG7 Castle Greyhawk. Here's my Deitybase entry on "him":

Ya know,i have night below,i think i'll glance it over,and see what i could come up with.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:46 am  

From H4
    Quote:

The Realm of Juiblex

The nauseating stench of decaying matter greets you as you near the bottom of this conduit. The adventurers are entering the layer ruled by Juiblex, the Faceless Lord, as shown on the map on page 38. The realm of Juiblex is filled with all manner of living fungus and rot, with the entire range of deadly slimes, molds, and jellies living off each other’s putrid forms.

A. Conduit Exit: All characters must make one saving throw vs. poison at a -5 penalty for every three turns spent in this layer, or suffer the effects of a stinking cloud spell. Characters who save are still nauseated enough that they cannot eat and keep their food down. In addition, the innate magic of this layer instantly putrifies all nonmagical food and water carried by the party. Water is changed into gelatinous cube material and food is changed into black pudding, both of which attack the contents of the PCs’ backpacks and pouches.
    The landscape as far as the eye can see is a putrid swamp filled with unnatural colors, with an odor so strong you can see the fumes rise. A narrow path, wide enough only to allow single-file movement, is the only safe way to proceed. Stepping into the swamp at any point results in the simultaneous effects of a green slime, yellow mold, ochre jelly, and black pudding (turn creature into green slime, kill anyone who fails a saving throw vs. poison, dissolve flesh at 3d4 points/round, corrode metal).
    If characters fly or levitate above the swamp, the swamp spews forth great
    columns of muck as high as necessary to cover the characters, with the above effects.

B. Random Encounters: There is a chance equal to the party’s average
    character level (but no greater than 75%) each turn of a random encounter
    from the following table:

Random Encounters: Realm of Juiblex (Roll 1d4)
    D4 RollEncounter
    1 Giant Obliviax (one per party member): AC 0, MV Nil, HD 10, hp 20 ea., #AT special (memory drain range 60 feet, victim must save vs. spell at -5 or lose all memories from last 24 hours, including all memorized spells), Dmg Nil, SA can cast stolen spells, SD form imitation of memorydrained creature, AL NE,
    Size M (MM2, pg. 96)
    2 Giant Gelatinous Cube (1, appears to be a clear lake filled with jelly): AC -5, MV 21”) HD 100, hp 400, #AT 10, Dmg 10d6, SA paralyzation, surprise on 1d3, SD immune to cold, electricity, fear, holds, paralyzation, polymorph, and sleep attacks, MR 75%, Size L (100’ per side) (MM, pg. 43)
    3 Green Slime Colony (1,000‘ slimes): AC 9, MV 6”, HD
    2,000, hp 8,000, #AT 1 pseudopod, Dmg special, SA turns victim into green slime, SD immune to all weapons and spells except cure disease, AL N, Size L (MM, Pg. 49)
    4 Bar-Lgura (20): AC -3, MV 9”@15”, HD 6+6, hp 35 ea., #AT 3, Dmg 1d6/1d6/2d6, SA&SD spell-like abilities, MR 45%, AL CE, Size M (MM2 pg. 37)

C. The Palace of Juiblex: The evil stench of this noxious swamp gets far worse as the characters approach what seems to be the largest heap of decaying garbage in all the planes of existence—the palace of Juiblex
    itself. The area around the palace is filled with manes, bar-lgura, and type II and IV demons, all of whom prey on each other. Several attack the party as it nears the palace; if the attackers are not instantly repelled by great force, a great mob joins in. Dinner time!
    Juiblex is not interested in the visit of normal creatures, regardless of what they have to offer, and attacks full-force anyone with the temerity to enter his lair. If he appears to be losing, he teleports away. His palace contains many treasures, including rings amulet of life protection (always worn), a bag of transmuting, a chime of hunger (which he uses in melee), a periapt of foul rotting, pipes of the sewers, a scarab of insanity, and a talisman of ultimate evil.

Juiblex: AC -7, MV 3”) hp 176, #AT 1, Dmg 4d10, SA spell-like abilities
    plus spew slimes, SD +2 or better weapon to hit, MR 100%) AL CE, Size L (MM, pg. 17)
    [/quote]
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:04 am  

I'd also browse through old Warhammer Fantasy modules for references on Nurgle, which sounds akin to Juiblex.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:02 pm  

MToscan wrote:
    I'd also browse through old Warhammer Fantasy modules for references on Nurgle, which sounds akin to Juiblex.

Warhammer!A sacrilige good sir!I do love hero quest though and shadow of the horned rat Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:17 pm  

@AcidArrow: Yeah, Night Below has a shrine to Juiblex in it, with several slime/ooze creatures. With the 3.X templates, image what could be done with a fiendish ochre jelly or a half-fiend black pudding... Evil Grin

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:08 pm  

I found a list on EN World of the various monsters you could include:

The post is All the Different Types of Oozes

I never realized there were so many. Fun for you to confound any of your players that have the monster manuals memorized Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:54 pm  

gargoyle wrote:
    @AcidArrow: Yeah, Night Below has a shrine to Juiblex in it, with several slime/ooze creatures. With the 3.X templates, image what could be done with a fiendish ochre jelly or a half-fiend black pudding... Evil Grin

Yeah i liked those templates,i wished more modules would have came with them like they did with night below and dragon mountain.Night below was a bit intimidating with all the prep work involved if you plan on running the entire campaign,i guess that's why i never bothered to run that one.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:56 pm  

Varthalon wrote:
    I found a list on EN World of the various monsters you could include:

The post is All the Different Types of Oozes

I never realized there were so many. Fun for you to confound any of your players that have the monster manuals memorized Laughing

Them's a lotta slimes monsters!!
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:39 pm  

Here's some info on Juiblex from the 3E book of Vile Darkness (BoVD). Check out the monster "Darkness Given Hunger" in the Servants of Juiblex section. The Cult of Juiblex section is also interesting and it features another NPC, a cultist. BoVD also has the Thrall of Juiblex prestige class, which any respectable cultist should aim for. That is if you're using 3E rules...

Apparently Elder Evils also has a couple of Thralls of Juiblex NPCs, both of which are members of the Cynidicean race. This D20 conversion of the old module B4:The Lost City contains a 3E writeup of the race. B4 also features the evil slime god Zargon.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:34 pm  

Thanael wrote:
    Here's some info on Juiblex from the 3E book of Vile Darkness (BoVD). Check out the monster "Darkness Given Hunger" in the Servants of Juiblex section. The Cult of Juiblex section is also interesting and it features another NPC, a cultist. BoVD also has the Thrall of Juiblex prestige class, which any respectable cultist should aim for. That is if you're using 3E rules...

I actually have the book of vile darkness( buried deep in one of my closets somewhere),and i seem to remember it covering something on his followers ( I only skimmed the pictures and a few paragraphs on Orcus),however,since it's one of the very,very few 3rd E products that i own i rarely ever look at any of it aside from playing a few PC games im strict on keeping it 1st and 2nd,and as such,i figure that keeping up with too much 3rd edition material may corrupt the end result.I dunno,i may be forever banished from CF for saying this,but third edition to me is like playing magic the gathering all over again and i just really hate what wotc did to my favorite past time.i havent even tried 4th,in fact,i havent heard anything good about it or even met anyone who's played it as of yet,only heard it described as being similar to world of warcraft.

P.S. I do appreciate all the help though,thx for searching Smile
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:05 am  

Don't forget the Oozemaster prestige class from the 3.0e Masters of the Wild(p. 67). Cool

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 am  

I am reminded of one of my unfinished urban adventures, entitled "Ooze Your Daddy?" ;)
    Master Greytalker

Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:09 pm  

Aeolius wrote:
    "...entitled "Ooze Your Daddy?"

It is now official Aeolius has absolutely no shame Laughing

Watch out Aeolius; bad puns are the domain of Zagyg and he is nuts Exclamation
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:28 pm  

Acid Arrow - have you ever taken a look at Hackmaster? I think you'd like it. I've been using the system for several years now and my players prefer it to any other derivative of the D&D rules set.

ciao

The Grey Mouser
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:26 am  

GreyMouser wrote:
    Acid Arrow - have you ever taken a look at Hackmaster? I think you'd like it. I've been using the system for several years now and my players prefer it to any other derivative of the D&D rules set.

I honestly haven't mouser,but i am aware of it in passing,the only other systems i have ever used besides the 1st and second edition d&d rules are shadowrun,warhammer and heroquest,it just takes a lot for me to spend money on a system these days if i'm not certain i'll be getting my moneys worth,i did consider giving Gygax's other rpg world a try,but the nostalgia seems to be lacking in it.A few other systems that piqued my interest was an old game commonly known as "monster monster"and even call of cthulu,only problem with that is my wallet.It took me years to obtain nearly half of the old ad&d collection,that's only when i buy a little here or there,when i can afford it,but it's getting there.Now that's not to mention the miniatures i collected over the years,i havent gotten to the paints yet.But regardless,i'll take a look at hackmaster and let you know what i think.
    CF Admin

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:52 pm  

The Slime Wizard appears in Dragon Annual #4 and is leveraged in Russell Bird's version of Erelhei Cinlu in OJ14: http://www.oerthjournal.com/oerthjournals/OJ_14.pdf

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:45 pm  

Has anyone mentioned "Caverns of the Ooze Lord" from Dungeon #132 yet?

There's also a giant ooze of some kind in Slerotin's tunnel. The Lerara living there serve it as a sort of god. You may want to look up the Living Greyhawk mod "Lerara" for more info, though there isn't much in that source.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: