Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Mordenkainen Evil
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- Heresy!
    Mordenkainen Evil
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:26 am  
    Mordenkainen Evil

Just reading this you are all gonna burn in hell, at least I'll have some people to roleplay with. Laughing

Something I have been mulling over for a number of years. "Mordy isn't Neutral but is infract evil". Read on and you'll see my reckoning.

Mordy gives sword to Robilar knowing what effect it will have, freeing Iuz. This is not done to balance the wold more of a case of acting as a distraction for his own evil plans.
      Vecna Lives ;- Why didn't the greatest mage in Greyhawk investigate the initial tomb.. He knew what was in there and wanted to rid himself of some of the influential circle of 8 so he could plan the downfall of the circle big time in the signing after the war
      Tenser was killed off as a major threat to Mordy's plans.
      Rary leaves the circle as he want to do more research into what went wrong with Mordy.

I await the witch hunt with baited breath Evil Grin
    Master Greytalker

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:22 am  

Sorry, but you'll get no witch-hunting from me. I've played Mordy as semi-evil for years - "effectively" evil, that is, if not evil in alignment. My reasons for doing so stem primarily from reasoning that "the balance" is an unsustainable and logically fallacious illusion. In short, Mordy has been fooled by his own genius - like so many real-world intellectuals, he has allowed his theories of "how things might be" to override his common sense, completely losing sight of what most Oerthers consider to be plainly apparent. Since his theory of "the Balance" requires that neither good nor evil should triumph, he has become the willing tool of evil powers who are far wiser than he and who have a far better understanding of the "big picture" - through their manipulations he has been tricked into effectively siding against good.

I've never gotten around to addressing the issue much during play, but I envision someday having a party confront him after a long campaign, ultimately defeating him and forcing him to see the error of his ways.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:59 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    Mordy has been fooled by his own genius - like so many real-world intellectuals, he has allowed his theories of "how things might be" to override his common sense . . . he has become the willing tool of evil powers who are far wiser than he and who have a far better understanding of the "big picture" - through their manipulations he has been tricked into effectively siding against good.

Hmmm, sounds good to me. And its pretty much the way I see Mordy myself. Happy

<Say, who's the big, stupid looking kid standing outside my tower? Wait a minute . . . is that Lederhosen . . . or Swedish bicycle shorts? Evil Grin >

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 am  

My view of Mordenkainen is similar, but not so extreme, though the end result - conflict with Epic-level PCs - is the same.

Striving for a neutral balance between good and evil in the Flaness causes the PCs to consider him an ally initially as evil is generally ascendant (Iuz, the Great Kingdom, the Scarlet Brotherhood, etc.). However, as the PCs increase in level and accomplish much in the name of Good, they find Mordenkainen becoming less helpful and, eventually an actual hindrance to their goals.

I have considered having Rary be a good guy, unfortunately misunderstood, especially after the tragic incident involving the deaths of tenser and Otiluke, which he had planned as a trap for Mordenkainen himself in which he would reveal that Mordenkainen had secretly been working to promote the Greyhawk Wars in order to prevent the good nations of the Flaness from gaining the upper hand. However, I've never had the chance to actually try this scenario out with any players.

Bubbagump, I do like your theory about Mordy's attempts at neutrality to allow him to be duped into serving evil. I might adopt that in my own campaign.

SirXaris Smile
    Paladin

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:53 pm  

I would have to agree with Rockhaven... and it certainly lends to cullminating a great track for a PC confrontation.
    Not sure on the timing... Post fall of the Great Kingdom? The rise of Morty to unify the fallen states?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:28 pm  

Rockhaven,

This can be said of all mages. Sometimes they believe they are doing whats best. For them that is.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:05 pm  

Hey! I resent that! Why, just the other day, I was coming out of the Wizard Hat Inn and there, on the corner of Blue Boar and The Strip, was a beggar looking for some much needed help.

I'll have you know I gave the fellow a hand full of zees and an iron drab without thinking twice!

To think all Wizards are selfish! Sheesh!

Mwahahahahaha!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- Heresy! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: