JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New to boards
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    New to boards
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:26 am  
    New to boards

I played D&D many many years ago, basicaly from 81 or 82 ish. I used to have the Greyhawk map tapped to my bedroom wall . My gf from "86" and 20 years later my currant GF asked where that cool map was.(i don't remeber what happened to it )

Now looking at the newer maps How the hell did IUZ get those lands ,i know me and about 10 friends killed him!! Evil Grin

what is the best place to get more info on what happened (the map changes)
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:39 am  

He got better.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:15 am  

Nice one. Happy Basically he started a World War and made some opportunistic land grabs....

If you google "history of the greyhawk wars" you should get a reasonable account (though what might best be described as chroniloco Confused ) of how he made those gains. From the Ashes and the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer would give you about everything else.

Hope that helps,

Damien.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:16 am  

Shocked
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:17 am  

Many if not most of the changes happened during the "Greyhawk Wars."

See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhawk_Wars

And compare maps at:
    http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/gaming/dnd/greyhawk/map/
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:18 am  

Oh, and Welcome to Canonfire! Nice to have you aboard... Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:28 am  

Yes i hope so . I'll read it later .

I do wish they had added more in depth info .

Just by looking at the maps i did not see some those area's going to war like they did. I think some the stuff they pulled out there asses!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:58 am  

Is there a push for some one to make a more detailed map and stoy line or is GreyHawk kinda dead in the water ?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:33 pm  

Little GH tidbits, items and references to old characters and such, pop up every now and again in the newer products. I think "Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk" may have been the last official WotC GH product, though LG stuff may have continued a bit after that. I'm not the world's premiere setting scholar or anything, but fortunately for everyone, the combined minutia-managing might of CF is formidable, indeed. :)

Oh, and, welcome! *offers a housewarming gift basket full of wiki links and PDF downloads*
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:30 pm  

I have read some things ,not to much yet . So after these wars does this make Nyrond the strongest kingdom more or less ? I know by the map it shows only 2 major powers.

I was thinking 5or 6 with Nyrond maybe having a slight edge ,unless Ahlissa has it ?

My main from when i played was a Barb from Frost barbs

I really get into this phase of the game. I loved all of it , but the power structures intrested me.
    GreySage

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:10 pm  

Nyrond is one of the weaker powers, actually, since it's been so indebted by the wars.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:23 am  

Yeah, Nyrond did not weather the war well. They lost too many men fighting indecisive battles with the Fists in Tenh at Ternsmay and again against the North Kingdom and Bone March in the Flinty Hills. They also wound up heavily indebted to the Urnst States who helped prop them up, requiring King Archbold to raise taxes. This caused a lot of peasant unrest and exacerbated a problem with corrupt officials.

Near as I can see, other than Iuz and the Scarlet Brotherhood the only nations that seemed to do extraordinarily well out of the wars were the Urnst States and the Pale.

Damien.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:24 am  

Oh, and the Free City of Greyhawk of course! Embarassed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:11 pm  

Thanks is there something or place that gives out the losses suffered.?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 01, 2010 6:48 am  

I recommend you check out From the Ashes and the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. There used to be some great Living Greyhawk material but I think the link to it is dead, though I hope someone will follow Aurdraco's exemplery effort with the Bandit Kingdoms and create a current gazetteer. It seemed to have been a top campaign from what little I have seen. As far as I can gather, King Archibold Dunstan's heir, Lynwerd, rules as of 588 CY having slain his treacherous brother Sewarndt a number of years earlier after a failed coup, which resulted in Archibold's death.

Once again I implore those folks involved in Living Greyhawk to make an attempt to record their legacy. While some subscribers to Canonfire may not care about Living Greyhawk I for one am impressed by the work that went into the various campaigns and would like to see more of it here on the site.

Ok then.

Ta,

Damien.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: