ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Labyrinth Lord and Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- Other Game Systems/Editions
    Labyrinth Lord and Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 02, 2010 7:22 am  
    Labyrinth Lord and Greyhawk

Hi all,

I'm planning to start a new campaign set in Greyhawk using the Labyrinth Lord rules set. I was wondering if anyone have done this and would like to share their experience.

Also, I'm thinking of using the Blackmoor area since I've never played/DMed anything there and neither the players. Any suggestions about modules set in the area?

Saludos!
    Gabriel

Sun May 02, 2010 12:59 pm  

Blackmoor, eh? One of Greyhawk's more curious curiosities...

While they were originally created for Dave Arneson's version of Blackmoor and not the version that appears on Oerth, I think that the old mods 'Temple of the Frog' and 'The City of the Gods' are useful additions to the campaign. Of course, many people don't like the inclusion of sci-fi elements in their fantasy campaigns, but I'm not one of them. Incidentally, Code Monkey Publishing has released a new version of CoG for the d20 system. While the new version is not as comprehensive as I would have liked, I tend to think it's an improvement on the original version at least in some ways.

There were also two Blackmoor-based mods released during the last few years that Paizo controlled Dungeon Magazine, but at the moment their titles and issue numbers escape me.

You may also find this thread useful, though it doesn't contain much: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3041

Last edited by bubbagump on Tue May 04, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 02, 2010 6:06 pm  

Thanks for the link Bubba! I completly forgot that Dragon magazine which I have, somewhere (heading to find where it's stored).

I'm still hesitant to use the sci-fi elements of the area. The combination of medieval fantasy + sc-fi is not exactly my cup of tea, but I haven't ruled them out yet.

Saludos!
    G.

Tue May 04, 2010 6:33 am  

Haven't run any Greyhawk using Labyrinth Lord, but I don't see a single problem with doing so. Matter of fact, if I were to run a LL campaign, it would most certainly be set in GH someplace.

Have fun!

~O

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:05 am  

For running Blackmoor, I would advise having a look at Judges Guild's First Fantasy Campaign, which basically lays out a lot of details pertaining to Dave's campaign. It's rather disjointed and hard to follow sometimes, but it's a treasure chest that'll help you develop your own version of the area, for sure.

Labyrinth Lord will work well enough for your purposes. If you want ideas on the ways the rules were developed from Chainmail, you could have a look at Dragons at Dawn (Here's a link to a review on RPGnet). It's basically a game reconstruction that assembles various rules that were used during Dave's games and tries to make a workable game system out of them, as a "what if" scenario of sorts.

Obviously, you could have a look at Supplement II Blackmoor for the specifics of the rules supplements as added onto the original game frame after the fact.

Along with the old modules already alluded to by the other posters, you have a wealth of material to pick and choose from, if need be. You'll be able to customize your campaign from there to suit your and your players' specific needs.

Happy gaming!

Jump to: