Username Password
   or Create an Account
HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - The "Introduce Yourself" Thread
The "Introduce Yourself" Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkHerald
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: The "Introduce Yourself" Thread Reply with quote

I dont know if a thread like this has been started before, but I would like to know a couple of things about the people that I chat with on the forums.

First Name?
Age?
Location?
When you started playing D&D?
What rules you started with?
where does your Forum Nick come from?
DarkHerald
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name - Rory

Age - 38

Location - South Africa, Cape Town

Started - 1984

Rules - Basic D&D (Red Box) '84 Christmas Present!

Forum Nick - Now with DarkHerald I decided that I wanted to keep the "Dark" part of my nick as it is something that I have always had in my online nick from my Battlefield and Call of Duty gaming days. I needed something that would be more fitting for a fantasy setting/forum. So then came up with the idea of DarkHerald ... I had just finished reading the Herald Prestige Class and liked it. So I thought why not DarkHerald, deliverer of dark news, whisperer of death.

Last edited by DarkHerald on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name - Skip

Age - 41

Location - South central Iowa, USA

Started playing D&D in 1982. Parents gave me the D&D Basic Set (red box) and D&D Expert Set (blue box) for Christmas.

Forum nickname - Easy, my first and most powerful PC. I learned an aweful lot of life's lessens playing that character. Cool

SirXaris
rasgon
GreySage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: A Couple of Questions Reply with quote

DarkHerald wrote:
I dont know if a thread like this has been started before, but I would like to know a couple of things about the people that I chat with on the forums.

First Name?
Age?
Location?
When you started playing D&D?
What rules you started with?
where does your Forum Nick come from?

Sure, I'll bite (though this might be better placed in the Welcome to Greyhawk forum).

I'm Rip. I'm 33, I think. I'm in the U.S., in the pleasant peninsula of Michigan. The first D&D game I played (in 1988) was a 1st edition AD&D one, then I played mostly basic D&D (Basic-Expert-Companion-Master-Immortal) for a few years before switching to 2nd edition.

I call myself Rasgon because it's Spanish for "a rip or tear." I used it in one of the Spanish courses I took in high school, then it became my AOL screen name (in high school), and I used it on AOL's Greyhawk message board and on the Greytalk mailing list (since I was subscribing to it from my AOL address)... and from there, I signed up on these forums as Rasgon as well. There's a character named Rasgon in Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff, a thief who lives in "Pest's Corner," which exists because I pestered Sean K. Reynolds on the AOL message boards about naming an NPC after me.
rol-oeste
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Name? Sergio.

Age? 43.

Location? 50 kilometers to the west of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

When you started playing D&D? 1989, in the University.

What rules you started with? AD&D 2

Where does your Forum Nick come from? From my location. Rol = role, Oeste = west

Sergio :-)
Flint
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Name? Jeff
Age? 37
Location? Aberdare, South Wales (UK)
When you started playing D&D? 1983 (ish)
What rules you started with? Red Box Basic
where does your Forum Nick come from? A former PC and now NPC in my GH (and I couldn't get Medriev for some reason which is my preferred forum alias. Medriev was one of my first characters and also now an NPC in my GH)
WildCoaster
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Name? David
Age? 43
Location? Warrington, Cheshire (UK) though I game mostly in Liverpool
When you started playing D&D? 1982
What rules you started with? Basic Set, got my battered Expert Rulebook with the classy Erol Otus cover in front of me ;-)
where does your Forum Nick come from? Just choose it from my currently running campaign location, though I wish it was some far more interesting……….
vonbek
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

Pittsburgh in the USA

Started playing in 7th grade which would be 1979 or 1980 with the original Blue basic D&D then after just a few months moved onto Advanced and it has just snowballed from there. I also owned my own game store for awhile so I have played and am familiar with quite a lot of other games.

My screen name is my Alter Ego and SCA persona but if your a fan of the Eternal Champion writings of Moorcock then you'll be able to figure out where I stole it from.

Last edited by vonbek on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Ragr
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name; Richard

Age; 44

Location; Frinton On Sea, Essex, England

Started; 1978

Game; OD&D, Blue box (I think)

Forum nick; From the off I was the DM and I've seriously missed out on playing over the years. However, Ragr was the first character that I actually ran in a game/campaign run by a guy called Gary who ran a game that was savage to say the least; the kind of game where ownership of a loincloth meant you were wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice Smile . It was a blast, though. Ragr was a Halfling thief of Chaotic Neutral alignment who was an absolute bast*** but really liberating to play; surely you can only ever run one CN character in a lifetime Evil Grin I have very fond memories of Gary yelling "I don't care what happens I'm going to get your character" at me after I deliberately got his favourite npc killed in a successful effort to buy my own survival. You know you're in trouble when the DM says stuff like that. He never did get me; although the campaign ended with the valiant Ragr surrounded by an army of robots Confused

It got weird, that campaign Happy
vonbek
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragr that's the best story I have heard on these boards yet. Maybe you should write it up sometime for us.
Ragr
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was a long time ago. Funnily enough I found the old yellow character sheet with Ragr on it a couple of days ago when searching for something else.

Maybe if I hold the character sheet in my hands and concentrate the full story will come back to me; in which case I'm more than happy to fill in the blanks.
chaoticprime
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Name? Wes

Age? 29

Location? Lenexa, KS

When you started playing D&D? 1990

What rules you started with? Second Edition

where does your Forum Nick come from? In 1995 I thought it sounded cool. I tend not to change something once it works. I do go by Secret Skeleton a lot nowadays, though.

I eat, sleep, and breathe RPGs. I play console RPG's pretty much every day. I play table-top games as often as I can. I have been playing RPGs for 2/3 of my life, and my wife thinks that is hot. I have eidetic memory and as a DM (my choice of roles) I am a storyteller more than a referee. I am currently running a Golden Age of Piracy game using Savage Worlds. www.blackscorpionminiatures.com btw, has the best freaking piratical miniatures ever made.

I hate 3rd Edition, & Pathfinder--well, pretty much anything "d20" except Castles & Crusades. I more or less do not consider 4E D&D. I am a purist when it comes to DnD. If Gary Gygax did not write it, I do not play it. I mostly play Basic or Original DnD, though I will foray into AD&D from time to time. Swords & Wizardry is a good retro-clone. I traded a bunch of my miniatures at a con to Jon of Black Blade Publishing for a t-shirt and rulebook for S&W. I also managed to get a character, in AD&D, knocked down to -64 hit points in Jon's con game. He has this stamp that reads "DEAD" that he thumps on your sheet upon your character dying. I got four of them.

Chevalier
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Joe

Started: 1981. Got basic box in 1982, expert box in 1983, Greyhawk box in 1984. I really liked AD&D, skipped 2nd edition, got back into the game when 3E came out. My ideal edition is a mix of AD&D + PF, with a fused wizard-sorcerer class based on A Wizard of Earthsea. Someday I'll make it happen.

The original campaign I played (in 5th/6th grade) was the ultimate munchkin scene. Highly embarrassing now, but it makes for some good stories.

Forum name origin: It's actually my last name, and conveniently also the title of an 8th level paladin.
grodog
CF Admin
CF Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Name? Allan
Age? 41
Location? Wichita, KS
When you started playing D&D? 7 years old - I was taught by a kid down the street, and we played using stratomatic football figures that we repainted different colors as monsters and PCs
What rules you started with? Holmes Basic
where does your Forum Nick come from? from my last name ("Grohe")---it was given to me by a friend in college at Penn State
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
smillan_31
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Name? Scott

Age? 45. I'm the old man so far. Woohoo!!!

Location? Olympia, Washington

When you started playing D&D? 1979

What rules you started with? AD&D

where does your Forum Nick come from? It was actually an old institutional email address from a couple jobs back "s" for Scott, "millan" from McMillan. I don't know why computer services dropped the Mc. Boring, yeah.
warlock
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to get a bit of personal information from you guys. I have chatted over on the Facebook Canonfire page to some of you.

First Name? Darrel

Age? 39

Location? Cape Town, South Africa

When you started playing D&D? 1985 in High School. Greyhawk was the first world we played in back then and I've had a love affair ever since.

What rules you started with? AD&D 1st Edition or OD&D (Red Box) can't be 100% sure after all these years. I'll never forget holding that gold/brown Greyhawk box for the very first time.

where does your Forum Nick come from? I like the word and it was available here on Canonfire when I joined up.
Maldin
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Name: Denis

Location: Windsor ("I can see Detroit from my office window"), Ontario, Canada

Started playing in 1980 with the Basic box set, but within a few months switched to AD&D. Went to 2nd Edition when it came out. Stayed with that edition ever since.

While Maldin was not my first PC (only by 6 months, although he was the second PC I created), he quickly became my primary PC. Created way back in 1980, he is still active in my campaign as both a PC and NPC. He's since become an official published NPC in the world of Greyhawk.

Denis, aka the Real "Maldin"
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more! Come visit me!
smillan_31
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maldin wrote:

Damn you, Maldin. Stealing my thunder.
chaoticprime
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maldin wrote:

While Maldin was not my first PC (only by 6 months, although he was the second PC I created), he quickly became my primary PC. Created way back in 1980, he is still active in my campaign as both a PC and NPC. He's since become an official published NPC in the world of Greyhawk.

If you ask me, it is for these reasons that Greyhawk is so good. I mean, where else?
DarkHerald
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He's since become an official published NPC in the world of Greyhawk. - Maldin

In which product was he published?
Maldin
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaoticprime wrote:
Maldin wrote:
He's since become an official published NPC in the world of Greyhawk.

If you ask me, it is for these reasons that Greyhawk is so good. I mean, where else?

Exactly! Two years ago, I wrote the following post in a thread on Enworld entitled "What is so special about Greyhawk?"

Maldin wrote:
I think many of things that have already been pointed out throughout this thread help make Greyhawk special. High magic aspects in a low magic (common)world. An initial rough framework of a world that would not be constrictive to DMs, that was then built on and developed through adventures (both the classics, all the way up to the modern Adventure Paths), rather then novels. The whole D&D is Greyhawk, Greyhawk is D&D arguement. Shades of good and evil, law and chaos. The lack of super-NPCs that seem to meddle directly with even the most insignificant adventuring party. And so much more. So I'll agree with many of the previous posters.

There is, however, another huge reason why I think Greyhawk is special that hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

"Its fan-built, w/ lots of contributions *I* have made"

I don't just mean "me, personally", and I don't mean fan websites (like mine) either. Greyhawk, more then any other campaign world, has had significant contributions made by people who were fans first and foremost... In my case it has been things I've done like the City of Greyhawk and Irongate materials that have been published, the influence I've had (and my campaign has had) on other avenues (such as my input into things like the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer), and several other projects, some revealed, and some not.

But many others have had similar experiences as I, some more tangible, others less so. Erik Mona contributed as a fan first, before he was hired full time by WotC (as a result of the quality of work he did as a fan). Gary Holian, Fred Weining, Eric Boyd, Steve Greer, Sam Weiss, Robert Mullin, Joe Bloch, Noel Graham, Scott Casper, Greg Vaughn, Creighton Broadhurst, Paul Looby, Andy Miller, Dave Howery, Scott Bennie, and many others, all were fans who contributed to official published Greyhawk. People just like you and me. Anybody could have the opportunity to contribute. I know I've missed a lot of other Greyhawk fan-authors. If you think of any, post them to this thread.

Then there is the massive force of creativity that was known as the Living Greyhawk Campaign. Hundreds of writers, hundreds of adventures, tens of thousands of pages of development covering virtually every region on the map. Aspects of which have been canonized in published articles and map-locations. NO campaign world put out by ANY company for ANY game system has ever had such an important contribution by the people who actually play the game.

That is how today's Greyhawk has come to be... what, in my opinion, is what today's Greyhawk is all about. It's initial flavor and charm came from its beginnings as someone's (Gygax's) home campaign world, lovingly built. Forgotten Realms began as someone's (Greenwood's) lovingly built home campaign, and then became the corporate Realm. Likewise, Greyhawk evolved, is no longer EGG's home campaign world, and hasn't been for a very long time (well, actually, published GH never really was that).

It's everyone's home campaign world. And you had the opportunity to help it become that.

DarkHerald wrote:
In which product was he published?

He was first published in the Living Greyhawk Journal Issue#2, and made a return appearance in Dragon Magazine Issue#337. Because of those articles, Maldin and/or his shop has also appeared in a number of Living Greyhawk adventures as well, however I wouldn't count those adventures as "officially published".

Denis, aka "Maldin"
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more!

Last edited by Maldin on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
MToscan
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Name? Michele
Age? 34
Location? Modena, Italy
When you started playing D&D? I am not sure, it's been a long time ago. I believe my first experience with choose-your-own-adventure books and Italian rpgs dates back to 1986, while "Mentzer" D&D experience to 1987. I then moved to AD&D in 1988, shortly before 2e came in.
What rules you started with? See above :)
where does your Forum Nick come from? That's the first letter of my name and then my surname :)... in other boards I go by "Beek Gwenders of Croodle" which is an iconic ranger from the original Against the Giants, of course.
DarkHerald
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has really been a great read, it certainly made my morning!

I have been visiting Canonfire for a good couple of years, but never posted always just watched and read the forums .... all I can say is I should have posted ealier Sad

I really have to say Canonfire is one of the better online communities out there.

Happy

Last edited by DarkHerald on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Ragr
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smillan_31 wrote:
Maldin wrote:

Damn you, Maldin. Stealing my thunder.

Scary that he ain't telling the number though. What is he? A Lich?
Ragr
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaoticprime wrote:
He has this stamp that reads "DEAD" that he thumps on your sheet upon your character dying. I got four of them.

Now that is cool. I can see a new thread developing; who has the most "dead" stamps on their sheet. Evil Grin

I'm just off down the stationers to order mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: