Username Password
  or Create an Account
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
Features
Greyhawk Wiki

#greytalk-discord
    JOIN THE CHAT
    Canonfire :: View topic - The "Introduce Yourself" Thread
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    The "Introduce Yourself" Thread [ Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:20 am  

You already know all this, Rory...but I thought I'd play, too. :)

Q: First Name?
    A: carlos (purposely uncapitalized, like my hero, e.e. cummings).

Q: Age?
    A: 41.

Q: Location?
    A: Northeast Ohio...when I'm not dreaming of Oerth.

Q: When you started playing D&D?
    A: 1979.

Q: What rules you started with?
    A: Basic Set (Red Box). My best friend got it for Christmas, and I think his parents must've thought it was a board game. Obviously, our first session was pretty unsophisticated (whaddya want out of a pair of 9 year olds?), but I was hooked. A year later, I made the transition to the Blue Box (Expert Set), and from there, AD&D.

Q: Where does your Forum Nick come from?
    A: It's the name of a PC I've played in various Campaigns since about 1987. Probably my favorite character I've ever played.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:02 am  

First Name? Tony

Age? 38

Location? Saine Louie, in the (a) state of eternal academic Misery ;)

When you started playing D&D? 1984

What rules you started with? Red Box, switched to AD&D about 6months later. Although my first exposure was during home room in 6th grade. Brian C. was reading the B2 module in the back of the room. I asked, "What's that?" It goes without saying, from there I was hooked.

where does your Forum Nick come from?
    Some 16 years ago, I returned to St.Louis from my first go around at college and joined my current Greyhawk gaming group. Garnak (1/2 Orc Assassin) was the first character of mine to survive past Lvl5. Outside of one other major character, I've been playing him ever since. When I needed a screen name for AOL and some other gaming sites, it was only natural to use the moniker. It has stuck ever since.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:53 am  
    Re: A Couple of Questions

First Name?
    Andreas

Age?

Location?
    Hamburg, Germany

When you started playing D&D?

What rules you started with?
    Holmes edition, but only for about a year. We then switched to 1E. Still play nothing else. :)

Where does your Forum Nick come from?
    My last character (MU10, now retired) had that name.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 am  

I incurred all my HP plus -60 something (I think) damage all in one round. It involved getting repeatedly juggled into a blade barrier, and a fireball.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:31 am  

Fred

49 (I think I'm the old geezard down here,)

France

Started playing in 1979 .... :shock with the basic D&D box
    Switched to AD&D 1st as soon as it was available in France.
    Still playing 3.5 et pathfinder around the Vesve forest.

Nickname is self explaining, no ?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:57 am  

First Name? Damon

Age? 39(still hanging onto not reaching the big 40)

Location? Cardiff, South Wales

When you started playing D&D? Too many years ago Shocked 1982 (god has it been that long)

What rules you started with? A friend of mine started me off with the BASIC rules (red cover) awhich we played for several months before getting our hands on the Expert and then on Advanced,

where does your Forum Nick come from? Like many on here Rockhaven was a character of mine from my early days of playing ( I will say not my first but possible the most interesting to play) who later became an intergral part of my gaming world as a major NPC.(finished playing he was a 20th MU and has subsequently since using him as a NPC reached 30th)
    Site Theocrat

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:27 am  

Hi all -
    Scott Casper worked on something similar several years ago.
    You can find his collection here - http://greyhawkonline.com/whoiswho/
    Of course if there is anybody that wants to re-organize and update it that's cool with me.
    I suppose I'll actually post personal info later, as I'm off to go run some kick **** Pathfinder games and then party like a Kickball Star.

Be Well. Be Well Gamed.
    Theocrat Issak

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:03 pm  

First Name: Jon

Started playing when the neighbor got the red box basic set in about 82 or so, then started AD&D in 84/85 while in High School.

Started with Basic, moved to 1st ed not too long after. Now play a mix of 1st and 2nd ed.

My Nick is from my longest surviving character, created in 1987 and still sees occasional use (albeit mostly as an NPC anymore).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:35 pm  

First Name? Blake

Age? 36

Location? Adelaide, Australia

When you started playing D&D? 1989

What rules you started with? 2nd Edition with 1st Edition Unearthed Arcana Barbarian & Cavalier used. We were running through the Temple of Elemental Evil. The GM sometimes neglected to describe creatures, so I thought a bugbear was a large furry wasp.

Now playing in Norrath (Everquest) with Pathfinder and running Pathfinder on Greyhawk.

where does your Forum Nick come from? My name.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:16 pm  

First Name? Shane
    Age? 37
    Location? San Diego, CA
    When you started playing D&D? 1984-ish?
    What rules you started with? AD&D
    where does your Forum Nick come from? I draw and paint. I know... kind of obvious. rolleyes Smile
    Master Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm  

First Name? Kristoph. Well, technically, my first name is "W-something" ... but, Kristoph is my middle name, and the one I prefer.
    Age? I am in my 38th year.
    Location? Houston, Tx. Born in San Antonio near the Alamo; a born and bred Texan, though I have travelled the US and four continents.
    When you started playing D&D? Approximately 1984-ish.
    What rules you started with? The 1979 "Blue Book" from the Basic Boxed set.
    where does your Forum Nick come from? It's a name that I've used for about 15 years when signing up for AOL 2.5, I believe. I often have to use "IcarusATB", since "Icarus" is often taken. It comes from a piece of my artwork (the first one ever matted and hung on my wall) called "The Fall of Icarus: A Trust Betrayed". It showed Daedalus (his father) flying off into the distance.

And, now that you guys know altogether too much about me, and were afraid to ask, I'll quit giving up the ol' secrets.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:40 pm  
    "Dead" and "Deaceased" stamps

chaoticprime wrote:
    He has this stamp that reads "DEAD" that he thumps on your sheet upon your character dying. I got four of them.

Ragr wrote:

Now that is cool. I can see a new thread developing; who has the most "dead" stamps on their sheet. Evil Grin

I'm just off down the stationers to order mine.

A long time ago, in a home game far, far away, I used to have one that read "DECEASED", and I would stamp it in red ink on the players' sheets. It was about 5 or 6 inches across. Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:05 am  

First Name: Matt

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan(somewhat pleasant peninsula), USA

When I Started Playing D&D: 1991, I had some great friends in middle school that started a game in our library every lunch period, we got some strange looks, but loved every minute of it. A far better use of an hour than cafeteria food!

What Rules I Started With: AD&D 2nd edition, I still have that original Player's Handbook, although it has seen far better days.

Where Does My Forum Nickname Come From: Ironically enough, the Bible, with the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego walking in the fire in Babylon and surviving, for some reason as a kid I though that was super neat and used that as a nick ever since.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:37 am  

Name? Dave
    Age?41 (seems a popular age here)
    Location? Sacramento Ca. Moved here from Grand Rapids mich. 2 years ago
    I started playing @ a friends basement in 79. I had no idea what D&D was and got hooked.
    I believe only the red box edition was availible in G.R. @ the time.
    My forum nick came from that original character I wrote up in that basement game. He was a thief. Retired him a few years later as our campaign matured. Like any good thief he still makes surprise appearances only to fade back into the shadows...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:24 am  

First Name?
    Casey

Age?

Location?
    Boston, MA

1983ish (4th grade)

Basic D&D, all the way up until a mod takes immortals to Chicago. When I was in 5th or 6th grade, a teacher sold me his son's collection of 1st edition books for cheap. I then began buying mods. I remember buying lots of mods during TSR's 10th? anniversary sales at Toys R' Us. Unfortunately, most of my mods were destroyed years ago during a move due to an unfortunately placed bar of soap which melted :(
    When 2nd edition came out, I was in 7-9th grade in the UK. I had quit playing before 3rd edition came out, but in 2002 I was working at a Walden Books and I started looking over the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. From there, I discovered the local LGers. By 2003, I was a lowly meta-org coordinator. By 2004, I was a Triad assistant. In 2005, I became a Triad member, which I remained until LG's demise in 2008. As a result of my LG experiences, I like 3.5 low-mid level games the best.

It's derived from my IRC EFnet nick, which was GoldDrake (if any of you are EFnet veterans, I was the guy who wrote the 500 splatter kicks file that sometimes gets distributed with WC Toolz. I was really bored that semester). GoldDrake didn't have quite the ring I was looking for, so I eventually pig-latined it to aurdraco.

I am also SC-Tiny on this forum, an ID I use for playing in Gary Holian's online Spinecastle campaign. However, sometimes I forget to log out and log back in as aurdraco.
    GreySage

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:40 am  

Okay, I'll go along. Wink

Name: Anthony (Tony)

Age: Maldin and I have you all so far. (Sorry Smillian Evil Grin ) We're the same age and it begins with a "5." Since Maldin doesn't want it revealed, I won't. Wink It's the reason PSmedger says we're "older than dirt," and claims that Maldin and I played with Richard the Lion Hearted. Laughing

Loction: Presently, Anahuac, TX, USA, Approximately 45 miles east of Houston on Interstate Highway 10, exit 812.

Began playing: Learned of it in 1977, started playing in 1978, while in the US Army (82nd Airborne Division).

Rules: Not absolutely certain, but OD&D was definitely "there."

Forum Nickname: Thought of it when I joined Canonfire -- the only forum I've ever been "on" -- because I did not wish to reveal my character's actual name.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm  

Name: David

When did I start playing:1980

What rules started with: G1-3:Against The Giants. My best friend had used his Christmas money to buy the module. We went through it and kind of, sort of figured out how to play. From there we just made up rules and played using 6 sided dice raided from Monopoly and Yahtzee for a couple of years until we could buy the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and Monster Manuel. So technically 1st ed.

Forum Nickname: From a character I ran in the mid '80s. Grey Elven Fighter/Magic-User.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:15 pm  

First Name?
    Rafael

Age?
    30 in may

Location?
    Brazil

1992, i think,

90's black box, then i changed to 2ed ad&d (those were the only oficial D&D game published here, back then). i tried 3ed, but changed quickly to 2ed again. now i play a hybrid of rules from 1 and 2 ed of ad&d

rossik was a cleric of mine, a npc in the long campaign i DMed for my wife. he was a clerci of frozen lands, the one suppose to take charge of the clan, but he run away from that.
    its a little sad story, but he will be fine ;)
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:50 pm  
    My turn...

Raymond
    Salinas, California
    I remember it was before I moved and it was the Basic box with Erol Otus cover (1981) so at least as far back as 1983.
    Red box from 1981 I bought later. It seems like the Menzter box from 1983 came out later than that since I had the Expert set with the Erol Otus cover and was waiting "forever" for the Companion set to come out. I was hoping for a box which covered levels 15-36 with another Erol Otus cover. I was the only one to keep with the boxed line of rules. All my friends had the Advanced books. So I would DM "Basic" (even if it higher than level 3) and they would DM Advanced.
    No nick, that's my name.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:11 pm  

First Name? Chris, but more folks call me Pip
    Age? 31
    Location? Pittsburgh, PA
    When you started playing D&D? 1985 or so
    What rules you started with? A mix of everything shoved together -- a little bit of the LBBs, the Holmes Blue Book, Dragon magazines, and the 1E DMG... whatever was in the bag.
    Where does your Forum Nick come from? Handle I've used for nearly fifteen years online. Simple abbreviation of first initial and part of my last name.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:46 pm  

I claim the "youngest CF poster" title! I just turned 29! I have never got along with people my own age. I rule!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:56 pm  

Hey Cpip nice to see another Local on here
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:58 am  

chaoticprime wrote:
    I claim the "youngest CF poster" title! I just turned 29! I have never got along with people my own age. I rule!

and i will turn 30 may 15
    :D
    GreySage

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:54 am  

chaoticprime wrote:
    I rule!

What can I say: Boys will be boys. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Love ya' Wes! Happy

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 pm  

OK my turn to answer.

First name: Anna

Location: Corona, California, moved recently from Sweden where I grew up.

Started playing 1979. A friend of a friend had been to the U.S and brought a copy of the original basic set (the red box) back with him to Sweden, maybe even the oldest in the country. We only had one set of dice to play with at first but it was fantastic anyway.

I will never forget the first time I played. Had a human fighter and died the second evening we played, but I was hooked for life!

I bought the Greyhawk box when it came out and started to DM using the setting, started making my own maps. I'm still working on my maps decades later :)

My forum nick was simply me having lack of fantasy I guess ;)
    //Anna
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next]
    Page 2 of 16

Jump to: