Username Password
  or Create an Account
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
Features
Greyhawk Wiki

#greytalk-discord
    JOIN THE CHAT
    Canonfire :: View topic - The "Introduce Yourself" Thread
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    The "Introduce Yourself" Thread [ Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next]
    Novice

Thu May 14, 2015 8:10 am  
    First Post!

Greetings all! New to the forums and I figured this was as good a place to start as any.

Name - Paul

Age - 45

Location - South / Central, Illinois

Started - 1980

Starting Rules - 1E Blue Box

Nick - One of several I've been using on the interwebs since days of old. I honestly forget the origin. Likely the name I really wanted was taken. rolleyes

I'm new to this site, and can't wait to dig in and see what all goodies are buried herein!
    GreySage

Thu May 14, 2015 6:31 pm  

Welcome to Canonfire! Paul/KnightJade!

This website is for everything Greyhawk! Hope you feel welcome and jump right in to the threads with your two coppers. Smile

SirXaris

Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:52 am  
    Re: The "Introduce Yourself" Thread

[quote="DarkHerald"]I dont know if a thread like this has been started before, but I would like to know a couple of things about the people that I chat with on the forums.

First Name? Ryan
    Age? 44
    Location? Wisconsin

When you started playing D&D?
    It's all Micah's fault...He introduced us to the game in the early 80's. Matt took it from there as DM.

What rules you started with? Basic red box.

where does your Forum Nick come from?
    A friend and I were creating characters for Wizardry IV (I think) Bane of the Cosmic Forge and we named our 6 characters after ourselves and friends, but could not think of a name for the thief...he said, "call him GoodyGrabber." We laughed so hard we had tears.

I Found this site completely by accident while researching Greyhawk on the internet. I am completely overwhelmed with the amount of information (both canon and not). Part of me wants to embrace it, part of me wants to run and hide. Currently play using 2e with some house rules, but I guess I'll need to research the editions that came along after I stopped playing. Actually interested in wading through the massive amounts of information here. Thanks to whoever is responsible for....all of this!
    GreySage

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:50 am  

Welcome to Canonfire!, Goodygrabber!

Read all you can and post all you like. We'd love to hear your 2 cents. Smile

SirXaris

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:26 am  

GoodyGrabber wrote:
    Currently play using 2e with some house rules, but I guess I'll need to research the editions that came along after I stopped playing.

Still playing 2e rules (like yourself, with some house rules tossed in for good measure), and haven't looked back. Welcome aboard, and especially join in on the 2e Forum where you will find folks of like edition. I like to call it my "Home Plane." Cool

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:15 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    GoodyGrabber wrote:
    Currently play using 2e with some house rules, but I guess I'll need to research the editions that came along after I stopped playing.

Still playing 2e rules (like yourself, with some house rules tossed in for good measure), and haven't looked back...

-Sigh.

As soon as I saw the words "2nd Edition," I knew who would appear... Laughing

Welcome, Goodygrabber!
    GreySage

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:33 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:

-Sigh.

Yup, it's my pentagram of summoning! Cool

I'll convert you yet, jamesdglick!

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:34 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    jamesdglick wrote:

-Sigh.

Yup, it's my pentagram of summoning! Cool

I'll convert you yet, jamesdglick!

-Lanthorn

I'm with you Lanthorn, 2nd edition is the best! In my humble opinion.
    GreySage

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:20 pm  

I, too, am a 2nd Edition fan, but Lanthorn's latest questions have been in regards to 1st Edition.

Sell out. Razz

Mwahahahahahahahahahaha!

Meanwhile; Hail and well met Knightjade and Goodygrabber!

Be sure to make extensive use of the Greyhawk Wiki; the link is located on the left side of the screen. Rob Bastard, Rasgon and many others have provided us with tons of Greyhawk goodness in there.

All questions and opinions are welcome here, so dive into the many and varied conversations taking place. Canonfire! is the depository of all things Greyhawk!

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:49 am  

Cool
    Hi In Robin
    From Uk Yorkshire Harrogate
    Been Playing D&D since original 3boxset
    Moved to AD&D and loved it ever since loked at other versions but they dont cut the mustard have dabbled in many many games (inc realms) but home is where the heart is. Most of my time i DM currently running 2 campaigns

I also dabble a bit in Art and the game inspires me to Paint.
    Enyoyed Canonfire for many years and it has helped in so many things.
    Novice

Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:32 pm  

Hi, new to the Forums
    Name - Thom
    Age - 34
    Location - UK, Brighton
    Started - 1991 ish?
    Rules - AD&D 1e
    Nickname - favourite PC (now in semi-retirement)

ZZ
    GreySage

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:47 pm  

Welcome, ZardukZarakhil!

We're pleased to have you join our community. Smile

You may already be familiar with the various forums, but be sure you check out the many Articles pages, which you can access in the appropriate link just under the banner at the top of the page.

Please also join in by posting your own thoughts on any thread you find interesting. Or, take a que from Lanthorn and initiate your own posts with questions you have about our favorite fantasy world. Just be sure to post your thread in the appropriate forum. Wink

SirXaris

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:51 am  

Greetings! I just created an account and thought this was a good place to start. Smile

Name - Marcio

Age - 29

Location - Santa Catarina (or Saint Catherine in english), Brazil

Started playing in - 2000

Rules/Edition - AD&D 2nd Edtion

Forum Nick - Well, my first name is Marcio and I'm a great thrash metal fan, so "marciothrasher" it is. Laughing
    GreySage

Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:53 pm  

I feel like I gain a level every time I see that somebody is a 2e fan. Cool

I get 1/2 a level for every 1e fan.

Welcome aboard, you newbies. Hope to see your posts on the 2e and 1e forums soon.

-Lanthorn, Old School Player & DM
    GreySage

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:07 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    I feel like I gain a level every time I see that somebody is a 2e fan. Cool

It's fun to see Lanthorn all giddy. Laughing

Welcome Marciothrasher!

Be sure to check out the articles pages as well as the forums. Don't forget to use the Greyhawk Wiki in the link to the left and feel free to join the Greytalk Chats Thursday nights about 10:00pm CST from the link just below the Greyhawk Wiki link.

SirXaris

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:40 pm  

Sir Xaris, I laugh every time I see someone is a fellow fan of 2e as it a simple matter of time before the bells, whistles and alarms go off in Lanthorn's classroom to alert him and beckon him to post a reply.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:41 pm  

And welcome newcomers. I have found this site very educational and entertaining.
    Novice

Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:16 am  

Thanks guys! I started playing with the 2e, but after more than a decade GMing only White Wolf's/Onyx Path's games, I came back to D&D because of the new (and great, let me add) 5e. I've DMed some one-shots while I plan my Greyhawk campaign.

I've been using the Greyhawk Wiki as a source of knowledge for some months now, it has helped me quite a lot.

Glad to be here guys, I hope to learn even more about Oerth and it's mysteries and perils!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:59 pm  

Hello, everyone! I'm a long time gamer, but I'll admit I'm a relatively recent converter to Greyhawk. I was always a Forgotten Realms kind of guy until I ran the Age of Worms back in 2006. I really fell in love with the world then, even though I had played in it before. I've played through Patriots of Ulek and had quite a few characters killed in the Temple of Elemental Evil (actually some of them never even made it in).

I've used CanonFire as a reference for all things Greyhawk and I figured it was time to just join and start posting. Thanks for everyone's contributions. This really is a great resource!!

Name - Dustin

Age - 38

Location - San Diego, CA (for now, active duty military)

Started playing in - I don't entirely remember. Sometime in middle school, so I'd say probably 1989.

Rules/Edition - My first two games were 1st edition, then I switched to 2nd edition for a bit. Took a huge break from D&D and played White Wolf and Star Wars for ten years or more before coming back to 3E when it came out. Now I'm firmly a 3/3.5/Pathfinder fan, and I want to check out 5th but don't really have a group right now.

Forum Nick -Pronounced 'DIZZ-ah.' Any Wu-Tang fans might figure it out, but it's just the nickname my gaming group gave me. It comes from the RZA and the GZA of the Wu-Tang Clan.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:01 pm  

Greetings all, I just recently found this forum and realized I had to register, for reasons I'll explain after I get the requisite information out of the way:

First Name: Kevin
    When you started playing D&D: ~age 10? (mid to late 80s)
    What rules you started with: Hodgepodge of Basic and Expert 1st ed
    Forum Nick: combination of a couple things - I've always enjoyed Norse mythology and collected Thor comics as a child. My favorite horror movie of all time is Exorcist III, which was based on the book "Legion". So, Viking + Legion = VikingLegion.

I played through a bunch of the old "Known World" modules as a kid with my older brothers, but the concept of a campaign setting - shared with other players and evolving with new products - didn't really crystalize in my pre-teen mind until the late 80s and the rise in popularity of the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms products. I threw myself into those worlds, reading and learning all I could of them, and repeated this process with Ravenloft, Darksun, and the insanely imaginative Planescape settings. I've played most editions over the years, but won't list them all numerically, as I've heard tales that mention of a specific edition will summon a dreaded Lanthorn Demon to the thread.

Looking back many years later I feel oddly sad that I missed the boat on Greyhawk, and would like to learn more. I have a very rudimentary understanding of the setting - I know who heavyweights like Mordenkainen and Vecna are, and I recognize a few other characters, places, items and such, but for a world that contributed so many iconic items, monsters, spells, and ideas to the greater D&D universe, I feel I need to improve my knowledge, thus the registration.

I'll admit to being a little overwhelmed with this site on first glance. I guess I expected a small forum, with a tiny and dwindling population of die-hards fondly reminiscing. But the number of members/guests, and the sheer amount of subforums and threads has my head spinning. Can any grognard kindly point me to some kind of logical beginning? Ideally I'd love to see some kind of summary thread that explains the history and major "can't miss" people, places, and world-shaking events of Oerth that are absolutely mandatory. Once I get some kind of foundational knowledge base, I'll feel comfortable ranging out in other directions.

Thanks all for listening to my meandering ramble.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:08 am  

Hola, amgios! Please excuse if my English is awkward, I am first speaker of Spanish.

First Name? Lupe
    Age? 22
    Location? I am native of Ciudad Guatemala, Guatemala, but now study at University of Florida, USA
    When you started playing D&D? I think 2003, age 10
    What rules you started with? I only ever use AD&D 2nd edition
    where does your Forum Nick come from? This is my actual name! :)

I have played D&D for many years after learning from my aunt Maria, who was member here. Now that I study in USA and have unrestricted access to American internet sites, I make a new hobby of taking over Maria's web blog and researching new information for Greyhawk, most important to me are Amedio Jungle and Olman cultures.

Thank you for having web forum dedicated to D&D and Greyhawk world!

Paz y luz,
    Lupe
    GreySage

Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:05 pm  

Wow! Many new members to Canonfire! all at once. It's a pleasure to have so many new faces, er... avatars, among us. Razz

VikingLegion wrote:
    I'll admit to being a little overwhelmed with this site on first glance. I guess I expected a small forum, with a tiny and dwindling population of die-hards fondly reminiscing. But the number of members/guests, and the sheer amount of subforums and threads has my head spinning. Can any grognard kindly point me to some kind of logical beginning? Ideally I'd love to see some kind of summary thread that explains the history and major "can't miss" people, places, and world-shaking events of Oerth that are absolutely mandatory. Once I get some kind of foundational knowledge base, I'll feel comfortable ranging out in other directions.

As to advice for navigating the forum:

First, look to your left. The features box has direct links to many of the best pieces of information on this website, expecially the Greyhawk wiki, which appears over the City of Greyhawk coat of arms.

Second, to the top of the page is a link to the Articles section. Articles are written by Greyhawk fans and posted in subsections depending upon the article's subject matter, so you can better find the type of information you are looking for.

Third, check out the Oerth Journal and the Canonfire! Chronicles. I believe we have 26 editions of the Oerth Journal out now, but only issue #1 of the Canonfire! Chronicles. The OJ is akin to Dragon Magazine and the C!C is full of fan-written Greyhawk adventures, like Dungeon Magazine.

Though the link to the left doesn't work well, you can find OJs #1-25 here:
    http://oerthjournal.blogspot.com/p/oerth-journal-downloads.html

and OJ #026 here:
    http://oerthjournal.blogspot.com/2011/12/new-oerth-journal.html

This is the best link I've found for C!C #001:
    https://archive.org/details/canonfire_chronicles-01

Fourth, we have the Forums, of course. Ask any question you like, and offer your 2 cents within any thread. Just do your best to keep any threads you start within the appropriate forum.

Well, those are the most useful sections of the website in my opinion. Others, yourself included, may find some other sections more useful, so explore.
    Happy

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:09 am  

Nice Welcome there, SirXaris! Happy We have 50 new members this year so far.

Also, issue 1 of Canonfire! Chronicles is available in the Downloads section HERE. For a minute there I thought it had somehow not been put up, or that something happened to it! Shocked Laughing

Welcome aboard everyone! Be sure to submit your own articles on whatever you wish to write about, whether it strictly follows canon material, is something that modifies canon material, or that follows canon material not at all- just so long as it is about GREYHAWK! Cool

Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:26 am  

VikingLegion wrote:
    ...I'll admit to being a little overwhelmed with this site on first glance. I guess I expected a small forum, with a tiny and dwindling population of die-hards fondly reminiscing...

-Well, plenty of that!

VikingLegion wrote:
    ...Can any grognard kindly point me to some kind of logical beginning? ...

To be honest, I started with the oldest thread and worked my way forward. Resulted in some interesting thread necromancy...

Last I checked, the search engine was busted, but you can go to a regualr search engine and look for what you want if you precede it with "Canonfire."
    Master Greytalker

Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:55 pm  

LupeDeltorre wrote:
    Hola, amgios! ... I have played D&D for many years after learning from my aunt Maria, who was member here.

Hi there, Lupe! Nice to meet you! Your Tia was a beloved member here, and she wrote a great deal of stuff that many of us loved.
    It's nice to know that you plan on continuing her blog! It would be incredibly cool to see her work continue! I've loved her page for years, and have sent many people to it, even after her passing.

Any friend (or family) of Mar's is a friend of ours! Welcome, and well-met!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next]
    Page 13 of 16

Jump to: