JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Your Highness
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Your Highness
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:13 pm  
    Your Highness

I just got back from a midnight showing of Your Highness. Vulgarity aside, it was the best-done D&D movie I have ever seen. It felt like a tournament game where all the players have been drinking but are still capable of getting crap done.
    GreySage

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:09 am  

Thanks for the review, Chaoticprime. I'm hopeful that it will be entertaining, though I appreciate the warning about the inappropriateness of taking my younger children to see it with me. Wink

SirXaris
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:35 pm  

I have yet to see a spell-battle in any fantasy movie better than in this one.

Three hags firing lightning bolts at Natalie Portman who is fending them off with a bracelet that projects a force shield is my definition of cool
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:16 am  
    Review of "Your highness"

chaoticprime wrote:

I've been thinking of watching this one, ChaoticPrime ... you definately give me reason to see something that I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise. I still cringe when people mention the first D&D movie with What's-His-Name Wayans. Comedy's not exactly my preferred genre of fantsy film. but, I will definately watch this one - maybe on DVD, but I will see it. Of course, that might be because:
    Quote:
    ... Natalie Portman ... is my definition of cool

Wink That's just my take on it. Happy
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:51 am  
    Re: Review of "Your highness"

Icarus wrote:
    chaoticprime wrote:

I've been thinking of watching this one, ChaoticPrime ... you definately give me reason to see something that I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise. I still cringe when people mention the first D&D movie with What's-His-Name Wayans. Comedy's not exactly my preferred genre of fantsy film. but, I will definately watch this one - maybe on DVD, but I will see it. Of course, that might be because:
    Quote:
    ... Natalie Portman ... is my definition of cool

Wink That's just my take on it. Happy

Marlon Wayans delivered the best performance in that movie, hands down. I am not saying he was the best actor--only that he was the only one who bothered to act.

Tom Baker still ruled, though.
    GreySage

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:29 am  

My vote goes to Jeremy Irons. Wink

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:53 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

Yes, Jeremy Irons was indeed the best actor to star in that film. Had he put forth any degree of effort in his role, perhaps the movie would have been less of a disappointment.

Bruce Payne, however, probably ruined it for everybody. Maybe if that mage chick had got naked and the main character had a beard and Basil Poledouris did the soundtrack and the CGI was competent and maybe if they actually did something one might actually do while playing D&D or maybe if Tom Baker were in the movie more or maybe if...

I give up.

Fun fact about me, kids, this was the first film I ever walked out on in the theater. I eventually finished it on DVD years later. I got to "Look at me," and had to leave. I have since walked out on Supernova, Jason X, Star Trek Nemesis, Hitman, Attack of the Clones, and many others, the titles of which do not immediately come to mind.
    GreySage

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:47 pm  

chaoticprime wrote:
    Bruce Payne, however, probably ruined it for everybody.

He didn't do much better in the second movie either. Barf! Embarassed

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:59 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    chaoticprime wrote:
    Bruce Payne, however, probably ruined it for everybody.

He didn't do much better in the second movie either. Barf! Embarassed

I would actually declare so much that he did no better, and in fact, did the exact same. The first 2/3 of the second movie were great. Murphy's Law of D&D. The whole stupid undead dragon and green earth laser were stupid, though.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:52 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

The very pinnacle of a "payday"actor.

Thespian voice; Check. Floppy hair; Check. British (Villain); Check.

Best piece of acting done? Scar.

'Nuff said.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:14 am  

Ragr wrote:
    Mystic-Scholar wrote:

The very pinnacle of a "payday"actor.

Thespian voice; Check. Floppy hair; Check. British (Villain); Check.

Best piece of acting done? Scar.

'Nuff said.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, sir.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:28 pm  

While I really have no interest in seeing this as drug-comedies really aren't my thing (I didn't really think Pineapple Express was all that good: okay...but nothing special)....but some of these comments have me wondering....

I barely remember the 1st D&D movie...I remembering thinking it would've been fine as a TV movie....never saw the 2nd one. I have never understood why people think you have to have a British accent for Fantasy movies or Sword and Sandal flicks...I guess maybe the Fantasy part comes from Tolkein; but why is every movies set in ancient Rome or Greece (or the mythological versions thereof) always cast damn-near entirely with Brits?

I'm a bit of movie-buff and I would have to say that Jeremy Irons' best role was "Reversal of Fortune"...though I did enjoy him in the 3rd Die Hard movie as well...but yeah, he's pretty much a movie-whore; never met a script he didn't like...though he's no where near on the level of Sam Jackson or Gene Hackman...both good actors who have done BOATLOADS of terrible movies! :)

As for Chaotic's post...I laughed and mostly agreed with your posts... though I rarely walk out on movies...I feel like I pay too much for them! I'm apparently the only guy on the planet who liked Supernova; but o the rest of them, I agree their all bad (though I never saw Jason X and almost certainly never will! :) )

First movie I remember walking out on...the second Jurassic Park...the bald, fat guys saves their lives....gets eaten...and the hero and love interest don't even waste a SECOND feeling bad about it.....THE DUDE JUST SAVED YOUR UNGRATEFULL LIVES, YOU JACKA$#ES! :)
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:08 pm  

maxvale76 wrote:
    While I really have no interest in seeing this as drug-comedies really aren't my thing (I didn't really think Pineapple Express was all that good: okay...but nothing special)....but some of these comments have me wondering....

I barely remember the 1st D&D movie...I remembering thinking it would've been fine as a TV movie....never saw the 2nd one. I have never understood why people think you have to have a British accent for Fantasy movies or Sword and Sandal flicks...I guess maybe the Fantasy part comes from Tolkein; but why is every movies set in ancient Rome or Greece (or the mythological versions thereof) always cast damn-near entirely with Brits?

I'm a bit of movie-buff and I would have to say that Jeremy Irons' best role was "Reversal of Fortune"...though I did enjoy him in the 3rd Die Hard movie as well...but yeah, he's pretty much a movie-whore; never met a script he didn't like...though he's no where near on the level of Sam Jackson or Gene Hackman...both good actors who have done BOATLOADS of terrible movies! :)

As for Chaotic's post...I laughed and mostly agreed with your posts... though I rarely walk out on movies...I feel like I pay too much for them! I'm apparently the only guy on the planet who liked Supernova; but o the rest of them, I agree their all bad (though I never saw Jason X and almost certainly never will! :) )

First movie I remember walking out on...the second Jurassic Park...the bald, fat guys saves their lives....gets eaten...and the hero and love interest don't even waste a SECOND feeling bad about it.....THE DUDE JUST SAVED YOUR UNGRATEFULL LIVES, YOU JACKA$#ES! :)

This reminds me: in Your Highness James Franco's accent keeps changing; he struggles with it, and it becomes a subtle joke throughout the film.

There are plenty of renowned actors who really only play the same role in every film they are in--such as Christopher Lee who plays Hammer-Horror Dracula pretty much all the time.

This brings me back to Marlon Wayans. He could have gone down Minstrel-Road with his part as snails, but instead chose not to. He played the cautious thief, and did not wind up being the party-heel as was expected. He is a much better actor than Justin Whalin.

I am assuming you have all heard of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733125/. Someone sent SSM an email about wotc having some kind of contest about getting your pc into this film. Its from the normal Canadian made-for-tv group that SyFy regularly gets work by and written by the same bloke who wrote D&D 2. Personally, I think it will be a wacky-awesome movie. D&D 2 had the scene where the elf-wizard accidentally teleported her arm into a column and had to have it hacked off--it that's not classy, I must not know what is.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:30 pm  

maxvale76 wrote:
    I have never understood why people think you have to have a British accent for Fantasy movies or Sword and Sandal flicks...I guess maybe the Fantasy part comes from Tolkein; but why is every movies set in ancient Rome or Greece (or the mythological versions thereof) always cast damn-near entirely with Brits?

A British accent in fantasy movies is to make sure you know it is set in Ye Olde Times.

A British accent in Sword and Sandal flicks is to help you keep track of good guys and bad guys. British Accent = Roman aristocracy (Bad guys). American accent = plebs and gladiators = good guys. Think of the guys in the conference room on the first Death Star vs. Mark Hammil and Harrison Ford.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.&nbsp; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Site Theocrat

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:54 am  
    Southbound and Winning

The WifeFIEND got off work early and she had two free movie tickets so she took me to see this.
    Fkuc Yeah! - Fabio says this when he comes home. He should have been saying that almost every time he did something cool (which is always). Remember, you have to keep a souvenir of whatever you kill, it's like your signature.

Thus, Thadius keeps the Minotaurs Head around his neck! - I rolled for nearly 5 minutes.

When I become a real celebrity, I intend to buy Jeremy Irons and Micheal Ironside. I want Mr. Ironside to repeat every word that anybody I have a conversation with says - in his most awesome gravely voice. Then I want Mr. Irons to repeat everything I say in his most awesome evil voice. Finally I want Ricky Martin to stand there and look pretty for me. Being that he's gay and good looking, the hot chicks will see him, flock to me, say something really lame (I want them for their looks not their brains) but Mr. Ironside will say it and it will be awesome. In which, Ricky will stand there and look pretty, while I say something awe-inspiring and Mr. Irons will repeat it with such deceit and cunning that the girls will not know what hit them (not that they were all that smart any way). In then end, I get to sleep with dwarfs and hopefully Ricky isn't watching.

That sounds like an awesome follow up to Your Highness.
    I really don't like drugs. I smoked pot once in 9th grade and hated it. It wasn't even pot - it was leaf. Bad Leaf. Like Ryan Leaf!
    Anyway, I don't like drugs or drug movies, yet my favorite movie of all time (until just recently) was Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (my #1 is Fight Club). I loved Pineapple Express. I loved the pot and drug jokes in this movie. I think it's all the dkic and fart jokes that I find childish and funny. I still laugh at 'Don't be so suburban. I'll take a shot in the mouth if it will get me a few miles to where I'm going.' followed up by Princess Leia following the good book of the road. Haha, now it's Princess Amadala in a bikini. Your Highness is great - especially with the little drawings in the movie credits. Who doesn't want to be launched from a catapult through a window with two naked girls in the room? Sign me and Ricky Martin up right now!

Names Removed to Protect Ricky Martin
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:03 am  

Most people actually DO need to smoke pot to produce that /\, haha.
    GreySage

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:10 am  

Issak . . . does Pholtus know about this "wierdness" of yours? Evil Grin Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Mystic-Scholar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:44 am  

I love stoner movies and I love D&D so I am all over this. That said, I'll probably wait for Netflix. It shouldn't be a long wait.

Hadn't heard about the D&D: Book of Vile Darkness movie, but judging by this single image http://www.imdb.com/media/rm886355968/nm2806024 and that there is a character named the Mayor of Little Silver Keep (Little Silver Keep? WTF? Did someone's 9 year old sister write the script?) I'm going to have to say "No".

Chaoticprime: I'm totally with you on Marlon Wayans. Keep the faith, brother.

Issak: You're killing me. Laughing
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:29 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    I love stoner movies and I love D&D so I am all over this. That said, I'll probably wait for Netflix. It shouldn't be a long wait.

Hadn't heard about the D&D: Book of Vile Darkness movie, but judging by this single image http://www.imdb.com/media/rm886355968/nm2806024 and that there is a character named the Mayor of Little Silver Keep (Little Silver Keep? WTF? Did someone's 9 year old sister write the script?) I'm going to have to say "No".

That chick looks like she was drawn by Rob Liefeld.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:10 pm  

chaoticprime wrote:
    smillan_31 wrote:

That chick looks like she was drawn by Rob Liefeld.

Yeah, except somehow her boobs would be defying the laws of physics to somehow manage to poke upward into the frame like two MX missiles. And they would be huge. No, no. I said HUGE!!!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: