JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Leviathan
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Leviathan
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:40 am  
    Leviathan

I'm curious if anyone has used the Leviathan, from MM2, in their game. What size did you make it? From the description/picture, I'm thinking at least 300' long. Any comments would be appreciated. Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 am  

Which MM2 are you looking at? My 1E one is in a box in the attic so haven't checked that but will take a look if that's the one you're referring to.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:09 am  

3e MM2:
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:33 am  
    Leviathan

Yes, that's the one.......
    Master Greytalker

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:53 pm  
    Size of the leviathin

Well, the first thing that I will say is that the MM2 was written in the 3.0 ruleset. It's described, in the stat block, as a colossal creature, which meant anything more than 64ft on a side. Now, in 3.5 and Pathfinder, "face" was replaced by "space", and they came up with the squeezing rules ... at any rate, the entry calls out 200' for the length of it's dimensions ... I would make the creature occupy a 200' square "space" if you're using it in a 3.5 or PFRPG game.

... I hope that I haven't misunderstood the point of the OP, since the dimensions of the critter are in the stat block.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:50 pm  

A week ago or so, I was ranting on in #greytalk as I m wont to do. I began to envision Leviathan as a template of sorts, with a handful of creatures having achieved the title.

Whale, turtle, squid, eel, ray, and shark came to mind.

A massive white whale for the first, of course, followed by a colossal zaratan. For the squid, I'd use the beastie I devised for my last game, when the campaign switched from 1e to 3e; the hydrimera, part giant squid, part feline sea lion, and part dire shark, its ink clouds turn victims to stone.

For the eel, I'd be tempted to create an elder shrieking eel - an homage to Princess Bride. The ray could easily be the water phoenix I once mentioned in a past campaign. As for the shark, a daughter of Sekolah comes to mind.

Thoughts?
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:13 pm  

The ship in the picture is two-masted and with lateen sails making it a caravel. Cogs were single-masted, and Carracks were three- or four-masted and had greater fore- and aft-castles.

Your average caravel would of had a length of 70 feet, and a beam of 20 feet.

Measuring the two halves of the caravel gives us a length of 45 pixels.

This means each pixel is equal to about 1.6 feet.

Taking three measurements of the leviathan, due to the perspective it is drawn in, we can build a scale.

From the nose to the eye is 94 pixels, from the eye to the base of the tail is 61 pixels, and to the end of the tail is another 60 pixels. This gives us a total length of 215 pixels.

The leviathan is roughly 344 feet long.

@Aeolius, in the book there were not shrieking eels, only sharks. William Goldman wrote the film's screenplay, so clearly he did create the eels, however.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:28 am  

Once again, random elements seem to fall into place.

The Leviathan will be an acquired template that makes the recipient gargantuan in size and grants additional powers. One Leviathan exists at a time, in the waters between Turucambi reef, the Sinking Isle, and the Jungle of Lost Ships. To connect the three, there should be a name, ala Bermuda Triangle. Solnor Splinter? Solnor Syzygy? Shard of the Solnor? The Troika?

Past Leviathans have been a nautilus and a zaratan. The nautilus shell was previously encountered at Turucambi, while the zaratan shell awaits at the Jungle of Lost Ships. The current leviathan is the hydrimera, once banished from the Solnor into the Dramidj but now back in familiar waters. A future leviathan may be an amphisbaena eel.

A spectral kraken, currently at the Sinking Isle, perhaps could be the third deceased leviathan, with the hydrimera encountered between sites.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun May 01, 2011 1:06 pm  

and now, in a more verbose rambling...

Secure in the knowledge that her companions were safe, Xaetra took a moment to herself, before the hours of slumber marked the time of dreams. Unrolling her burlap apothecary, the medicine bag that had stayed with her even beyond death itself, she inspected the hundreds of small pockets sewn into its surface. Shards of stone, dried herbs, and stoppered vials all seemed in order.

Turning the unrolled bundle, the ambergris eidolon exposed the crudely-stitched door upon the opposite side. Knocking gently in a deliberate pattern, she steadied herself against the flow of warm waters as the apothecary stiffened and and the door slowly opened.

Swimming swiftly beyond the doorway, Xaetra emerged into a water-filled stairwell. Along the stone walls of the passage grew a variety of corals and seaweed. Several small wooden traps held crabs which seem to be unmoving. The mortar between the stones illuminated the stairwell with a pale blue phosphorescence.

Slowly drifting past traps of wood and wire which held their captives in unwaking sleep, the hag encountered the barrier of shimmering mucus which divided the stairwell. Xaetra steadied herself, as she entered the portion of her root cellar filled with breathable air. Shielding her eyes from the golden light cast by the stones set in the ceiling above, she inspected the growth of her garden. An abundance of tubers; potatoes, carrots, turnips, and radishes grew within decorative urns, while flowering vines clung to the walls themselves.

Walking further upward, Xaetra felt the vines beneath her toes as pumpkins, melons, and gourds enveloped the stairs below. Clinging to trellises secured to the stonework walls, herbs and spices filled the air with a cacophony of pungent aromas. An earthen layer upon the stairwell served to nourish a variety of vegetables, while fruit trees grew within soil prepared with care within receptacles seemingly shaped in the likeness of massive conch shells, skulls, and geodes.

Pausing by an an unassuming section of stone, Xaetra traced her fingertip in a peculiar pattern atop the mortar. In response, a hidden chamber was revealed. In the passage beyond, resting upon a bed of ferns and wildflowers, Anasta slept. The alu-demon, restored by a single drop of blood protected by her sacred amulet, silently awaited the time of awakening.

Glaucus held the key. The scarab beetle, seemingly fashioned of glass and roughly the size of a man’s fist, had once served as Anasta’s own amulet, the sanctuary for her soul. Having attained sentience after the demon’s death, Glaucus now served as caretaker for Xaetra’s magical cellar.

“Greetings, my granddaughter.” she whispered in quiet reverence “Our last story explored the origins of the Devils’ Purse; the shard of the sea between Turucambi Reef, the Sinking Isle, and the Jungle of Lost Ships. Marked by ancient altars, each capable of unleashing maelstroms of unfathomable strength, the angles of the Devils’ Purse should be well remembered, as they define the birthplace of the Leviathan - guardian of the Solnor.

But one Leviathan may dwell within the waters of the Solnor, though many have assumed the mantle of power granted by the Devils’ Purse. In bygone ages, the Leviathan was borne from the stock of a nautilus and zaratan. Aye, the Chamber of Reflection within Turucambi Reef marks the remains of the nautilus. The hollow shell of the zaratan is ensnared in the waters to the north. The last Leviathan was fashioned from the form of a kraken.

Do not say it aloud. I know what you must be thinking. In life, the spectral kraken known as Mikros served as the Leviathan.

Within the currents of current days, the hydrimera retains the right to the title of Leviathan. Once banished from the Solnor into the Dramidj Ocean in western waters, the beast was fated to return to the Devils’ Purse.

I am loathe to speak of this to the others, but I bear responsibility for the beast’s return. My beloved Zander, in what surely must have been an epic battle, captured the hydrimera and imprisoned it within a magical pearl. The beast had vexed me in days long passed, so he wished to assure that such tidings would never again come to fruition.

It was this pearl that brought life to the iron hag, the construct I once called Grandmother Clock. It was this pearl, which Jaenan inadvertently carried through the Underflow, when the construct was destroyed. It was this pearl, which Jaenan unintentionally awakened, to avoid capture by Tempest and Salkt.

The rebirth of the hydrimera marked the deaths of the blood hag Tempest and salt hag Salkt, though heralding the birth of the blackwater hag Diadema. Their fates are intertwined in a manner I cannot fully fathom.

Of one thing am I certain. The Leviathan of future days will arise from the form of the amphisbaena.”

Silently, Glaucus crept from the concealed chamber, up the stairwell, and out of the magical root cellar. Without remorse, he shared the secret knowledge of Xaetra’s confession with all who would listen.
    GreySage

Sun May 01, 2011 2:45 pm  

Aeolius wrote:
    Of one thing am I certain. The Leviathan of future days will arise from the form of the amphisbaena.”

I can see it now - the sea serpent from Voyage of the Dawn Treader! Happy

SirXaris
    Master Greytalker

Sun May 01, 2011 2:45 pm  
    Leviathin emerges from the Amphisbaena

Wow ... Aeolius, that is really good writing. Engaging, and interesting, you kept my attention, even though I am in the process of finishing up my article for the current postfest.
    I ws really surprised by the prediction that another Leviathin will come from the Amphisbaena. I hadn't thought hardly anyone knew what they were anymore!

Again, a great story, and well-written. Clearly, your weekly efforts at running a text-based chat game have ahd a very significant impact on your writing, giving you very good practice.

Well done, good sir. Bravo Zulu.

[Edit: Or, as Sir Xaris just made me think ... perhaps, the Sea Serpent's from Robin Hobb's Ship of Magic series. The asme world as the Assassin's Apprentice series.]
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon May 09, 2011 10:25 pm  

Aeolius,

I love your campaign. You can tell the passion behind your creation. This is a web based chat game. I could only imagine how great is would sound in person. I hope Icarus finished his submission for the postfest. Its been a while since his last submission and he inspired me to start submitting again.

With that said I have several ideas for my Eyes of Possession power group I have a hag as my mistress of Drought. Unfortunately I did not have time to write two postfest articles so I went with my sidetrek adventure which is near ten thousand words and has a creature I created that I'm sure you would love.

Here's wishing you continued success with this great campaign.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: