Signup
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
One of the founders of our hobby and one of the most unsung contributors to Dungeons & Dragons, Len Lakofka has passed away at the age of 76.
Along with the many adventures, classes, spells, and rules he created,
Len was also father of the Suel in Greyhawk, designer of their gods, and namesake of the Lendore Isles.
The value of his work goes without saying, but his presence will be sorely missed. The adventures of Leomund go on.
Len Lakofka 1944-2020
[DISCUSS]
Features
Touring the Flanaess
Cities of
Oerth
Deadly Denizens
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Empire of Lynn, Tharquish Empire, etc.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Empire of Lynn, Tharquish Empire, etc. [ Previous  1, 2]
    Author Message
    Master Greytalker

    Joined: Nov 01, 2007
    Posts: 698
    From: NOW IN Cape May, NJ! Loving the new digs!

    Send private message
    Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:03 pm  
    Oerth vs. Earth

    So ... Here's another "map" of sorts, that I think is going to kind of throw this conversation a curve-ball. I noticed in Methraton 3: Pharoah last night that there's a global shot of the world of the Black Moon Chronicles ... and while, yes, there's still certain room for explanation (as Bluebomber mentions above, there's a funny little thing that I found:
    [Edited to correct broken link.]

    Anyone recognize that place? It bears a certain resemblance to what we're familiar with doesn't it? That's pretty much the Mediterranean, Europe, Africa ... and the white bolt is landing right about where "Érypt" woud presumably be, right on the corner of north Africa.
    So ... well, there's the propostions that blueBomber put forth. I generally prefer option #2, personally, but, with this information, that would sort of mean that there's gotta be some kind of parallel-stuff going on somewhere. I am not really certain where that places the other maps that are in the comics, but still. Those are great location maps of Lynn, and that makes it easier to go back to the earlier parts of the thread where we talked about the maps, and what would need to be placed where to make it compatible with the Sundered Empire.

    But, nevertheless ... this is clearly a close-Earth analog for this version of the Black Moon Chronicles.

    So, another thing ... I was looking at the "End of Times" issue, and I was thinking that the Cataclysm obviously annihilated most of the world. I don't necessarily think that the world was destroyed ála Alderan, with nothing left but bits ... it easily could've just been a cataclysm-level event. What if that happened to coincide with the end of the God War in the Sundered Empire? The nations of the BMC would be a clean slate, similiar to how the Baklunish and Suel Empires are in the Flanaess ... not that I mean that they need to be wastelands, but that they were wiped out in an ancient cataclysm (or within the past century, I don't know) and all that remains of them is ruins. I mean ... the Flanaess nations are still labelled there, and there's nothing left of them! What makes us think that there's anything left of the others, except the remnants of nations?

    Just a thought or two on where this place is, and what happened to it.
    _________________
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com
    Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal
    Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com


    Last edited by Icarus on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:22 am; edited 7 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

    Joined: Jan 13, 2012
    Posts: 116


    Send private message
    Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:09 pm  
    Re: translated Black moon pics!!

    Icarus wrote:
    WOW!! HOLY CRAP!!
    Hey! now wait one gosh-darned, cotton-oickin' minute! Those are in ENGLISH!! LOL!! Seriously though, BlueBomber ... did you re-touch the ones that are in English? I have been thinking of doing the same thing.
    I do have one question about it though ... you label the "Marsh Lands". Insofar as I know, marsh or swamp would be something like "marais" in French. It would seem that the "March Lands" would be better translated as "Border Lands". The "marches" of a kingdom were the areas most far removed from the heartlands of that realm. ... and this, as I understand it, is the origin of the rank of Marquis or Marchioness, as those were the lands that they werwe given to rule.
    At any rate ... just thought I would mention it, and ask about how much you've touched up like that.
    I didn't do that, I found a fan translation. Razz
    Apprentice Greytalker

    Joined: Jan 13, 2012
    Posts: 116


    Send private message
    Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:15 pm  
    Re: Oerth vs. Earth

    Icarus wrote:
    So ... Here's another "map" of sorts, that I think is going to kind of throw this conversation a curve-ball. I noticed in Methraton 3: Pharoah last night that there's a global shot of the world of the Black Moon Chronicles ... and while, yes, there's still certain room for explanation (as Bluebomber mentions above, there's a funny little thing that I found:

    Anyone recognize that place? It bears a certain resemblance to what we're familiar with doesn't it? That's pretty much the Mediterranean, Europe, Africa ... and the white bolt is landing right about where "Érypt" woud presumably be, right on the corner of north Africa.
    So ... well, there's the propostions that blueBomber put forth. I generally prefer option #2, personally, but, with this information, that would sort of mean that there's gotta be some kind of parallel-stuff going on somewhere. I am not really certain where that places the other maps that are in the comics, but still. Those are great location maps of Lynn, and that makes it easier to go back to the earlier parts of the thread where we talked about the maps, and what would need to be placed where to make it compatible with the Sundered Empire.

    But, nevertheless ... this is clearly a close-Earth analog for this version of the Black Moon Chronicles.
    Well when you look at the MMO map...it pretty much looks like the north of France. Wink

    But that does make conflicts with the plot of the comics easier--it's a "parallel Oerth" and thus not an issue. Happy

    Icarus wrote:
    So, another thing ... I was looking at the "End of Times" issue, and I was thinking that the Cataclysm obviously annihilated most of the world. I don't necessarily think that the world was destroyed ála Alderan, with nothing left but bits ... it easily could've just been a cataclysm-level event. What if that happened to coincide with the end of the God War in the Sundered Empire? The nations of the BMC would be a clean slate, similiar to how the Baklunish and Suel Empires are in the Flanaess ... not that I mean that they need to be wastelands, but that they were wiped out in an ancient cataclysm (or within the past century, I don't know) and all that remains of them is ruins. I mean ... the Flanaess nations are still labelled there, and there's nothing left of them! What makes us think that there's anything left of the others, except the remnants of nations?

    Just a thought or two on where this place is, and what happened to it.
    Unless I was reading it wrong, the world ended with the moon colliding with the earth. That would be it for all life on earth, and about as close to an Alderaan-like situation as you could get.
    Adept Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 28, 2004
    Posts: 344


    Send private message
    Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:51 am  

    This might be a rather lame question, but does anybody know if the series is available as a single tome?

    While it seems nice enough, I'd rather have one single volume than 14 or more different ones. Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 14, 2006
    Posts: 285


    Send private message
    Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:52 am  

    Le Noir Faineant wrote:
    This might be a rather lame question, but does anybody know if the series is available as a single tome?

    While it seems nice enough, I'd rather have one single volume than 14 or more different ones. Smile


    As far as I know, they've never been collected in a single volume, either in French or English. (I'm only missing #14 and the Parsival spin-off.)

    Joe / Greyhawk Grgonard
    http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com
    Black Hand of Oblivion

    Joined: Feb 16, 2003
    Posts: 3772
    From: So. Cal

    Send private message
    Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:06 am  

    One post removed due to Forum Rules violation. Warning issued.

    Also, over three dozen images (so far) is beginning to verge on something more than just reference, especially when some images are of whole comic book pages. I do not think it is too much to ask for people to learn how to crop an image, similar to how one would quote a bit text for reference rather than the whole of the text. Or you could also post a smaller image too. Basically, I don't want to see anyone able to post anything similar to, "If you collect the images from here, here, here, here...here, and here, and put them in this order, you basically have issue #3, and at full resolution!", ever.
    _________________
    - Moderator/Admin (in some areas)/Member -
    Apprentice Greytalker

    Joined: Jan 13, 2012
    Posts: 116


    Send private message
    Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:01 am  

    Cebrion wrote:


    Also, over three dozen images (so far) is beginning to verge on something more than just reference, especially when some images are of whole comic book pages. I do not think it is too much to ask for people to learn how to crop an image, similar to how one would quote a bit text for reference rather than the whole of the text. Or you could also post a smaller image too. Basically, I don't want to see anyone able to post anything similar to, "If you collect the images from here, here, here, here...here, and here, and put them in this order, you basically have issue #3, and at full resolution!", ever.
    I can assure that isn't going to occur, at least not from me. There's far too much nudity and sexual situations in these issues that I'd never post here. I've more or less found all the useful pictures anyway. If I come across anything else I'll make sure it's more cropped.

    Sorry about image sizes, I have a big 1080p HD monitor so it's hard for me to gauge what is big for other people.
    Apprentice Greytalker

    Joined: Feb 18, 2007
    Posts: 84


    Send private message
    Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:51 pm  

    Cebrion wrote:
    One post removed due to Forum Rules violation. Warning issued.


    Sorry.

    Sergio :-)
    Journeyman Greytalker

    Joined: Aug 14, 2006
    Posts: 285


    Send private message
    Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:13 pm  

    rasgon wrote:
    I think this is a very good fantasy setting history, although it weirds me out a bit to think that it's part of Oerth.

    The biggest conflict would be the monotheistic background, I think - apart from the Black Moon religion, everyone seems to revere a single God.


    I've been thinking about this, and I see a parallel between Lynn and the Pale in this respect. Although I think the proper term would be henotheistic. That is, the exclusive worship of a single god, while accepting the existence of others. In much the same way we can see the Empire of Lynn only practicing the worship of its singular god, but in practice in the graphic novels we see acceptance of the existence of other deities as well. The Pale seems to be quite similar in outlook, religiously speaking.

    So while it's not the norm on Oerth, it certainly has precedent.

    I'm revisiting this thread because my beyond the Flanaess mapping project has now hit Black Moon Chronicles territory, and I'm trying to soak up as much info (and reconcile as many geographic issues) as possible.

    Joe / Greyhawk Grognard
    http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com
    Master Greytalker

    Joined: Nov 01, 2007
    Posts: 698
    From: NOW IN Cape May, NJ! Loving the new digs!

    Send private message
    Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:06 am  
    thread continued - Empire of Lhynn

    Just thought I would mention that I continued the vein of this discussion onto a more current thread created just for that purpose ...
    Join in the conversation about new western Oerik maps here

    Oh, and Bluebomber, I'd love to see you pipe in on some of the geography stuff, since you seem to be more well-read about the canon contents of the actual comic books. :)

    Shocked (Name Check, table one, please?) Laughing
    _________________
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com
    Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal
    Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com
    Display posts from previous:   
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2]
    Page 2 of 2

    Jump to:  

    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum


    Forums ©


    Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

    Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!


    Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

    PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.30 Seconds