JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Magic Item Assignment
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Magic Item Assignment
    Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:55 pm  
    Magic Item Assignment

Howdy Greyfolk. I was tooling around in old Greyhawk material today looking for inspiration and I noticed something that I don't think has been addressed, at least in my time here. Among many classic Greyhawk magic items, there is some interesting unique items named in the ill-loved Greyhawk Wars boxed set. Now I know their only function is in game benefits for this board game, but what if they were adapted to general RPG stats?
    That's why I am throwing these undeveloped items out there as a homework assignment for anyone who has the time or inclination. And if I may suggest, if someone does write one or more up submit it as an article, why waste good frontpage content on the forum? I don't care what edition you use either, as long as there is some nice flavor text or history with them. If I get no takers, go ahead and discuss them here otherwise, maybe I'm off and these have been written up before. (shrug) At any rate, here is my wish list:

Bowl of Storms (game card power: apply a +2 strength bonus to one sea unit in battle) I may steal this one for Sea Princes campaign.

Rary's Bulls-Eye Bow (card power: cause 1 automatic hit on an enemy at the start of battle) I'm thinking Baklunish history here.

Drawmij's Dagger (card power: essentially identical to Rary's Bow) A heat-seeking dagger!

Bigby's Bottled Breath (card power: make 1 free STR 3 attack on each enemy unit before battle) Bigby isn't all about hands after all!

Gloves of the Paladin (card power: heal one hit suffered by one unit) Good for paladins who don't like to get their hands dirty with diseased peasants.

Dura's Deadly Poison (card power: flip one hero to its activated side) Wait, who is Dura?! And why is Dura's poison so deadly?
    GreySage

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:15 pm  
    Re: Magic Item Assignment

Very cool idea mortellan! I'd be all over it if I didn't already have so many pans in the fire. Happy

mortellan wrote:
    Dura's Deadly Poison (card power: flip one hero to its activated side) Wait, who is Dura?! And why is Dura's poison so deadly?

Not deadly - just seriously debilitating for a lengthy period of time. A turn in that game represented at least a month and probably an entire season (three months), if I recall correctly. Shocked

SirXaris
    Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:42 am  

Ah, good call Xaris!

I know if my players had their PC out of commission for a month, that'd be as bad as death to them. Ha!
    Paladin

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:39 pm  
    Re: Magic Item Assignment

mortellan wrote:

That's why I am throwing these undeveloped items out there as a homework assignment for anyone who has the time or inclination.
    Gloves of the Paladin (card power: heal one hit suffered by one unit) Good for paladins who don't like to get their hands dirty with diseased peasants.

If no one objects, I'll take a "hand" at this one...
    Being a "paladin" of sorts...
    Mort, is there a timeline, deadline or template that should be used?
    Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:59 pm  

DLG: No time frame, no format, just submit it as a regular article. Give it a bit of backstory too. Stats? Up to you.
    Paladin

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:36 pm  

Cool, even better.
    Was thinking something of a segue tie around Mayaheine as the demi-goddess herself and this item are both "new"to the realm. Also most are running a "post war" Greyhawk this would provide plausibility to their appearance and still maintain "sudo-canon" to the out of the ashes part.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:02 am  

Great idea! There really is no items or artifacts associated with Mayaheine is there? Something like could lend some gravity to her works on Oerth. (which so far seem lacking)
    Paladin

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:30 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Great idea! There really is no items or artifacts associated with Mayaheine is there? Something like could lend some gravity to her works on Oerth. (which so far seem lacking)

well I'm close to a rough draft submittal for my "homework" Wink but I am torn between making this an "artifact" level of an item, or one that would be a lesser but perhaps distributed in mass by the church to the faithful? thoughts?
    One piece (the artifact side) I have tied via her near- death experience while fighting in the wild coast. The Other, I see as akin to the "golden acorn" of the Vessve. Thoughts?
    Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:27 am  

Any chance of doing both? Maybe lesser versions are made in honor of the real item. Cop out I know. I'm leaning toward artifact level. People love high level items.
    GreySage

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:09 am  

On the other hand, artifacts and relics don't see much use in campaigns, while lesser-powered items are more accessible to PCs and, therefore, are much more useable by DMs. Wink

SirXaris
    Paladin

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:16 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    On the other hand, artifacts and relics don't see much use in campaigns, while lesser-powered items are more accessible to PCs and, therefore, are much more useable by DMs. Wink
    SirXaris

Yea must say I was leaning in SirXaris' direction.... I started making a relic, but the more I played with the idea (and since most are working a post GH war) I started thinking on a more "useable for the masses" as is in tune with her ethos.
    Further, as the start of this was the GHW element, I was thinking the in mass was more what mort may have been looking for since those "effects" were an in mass application.
    BUT ON the OTHER HAND.... it would be nice to have an artifact that was not tied to Vecna, circle of eight, etc. and she seems the perfect candidate being new to the realm. I donno, maybe I am over thinking this.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:56 am  

Yes, I'm flip flopping back the other way now. Keep it simple. Keep it useable by players. Mayaheine is new and her followers need something in their favor.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:56 am  

Yes, I'm flip flopping back the other way now. Keep it simple. Keep it useable by players. Mayaheine is new and her followers need something in their favor.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: