HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - Irongate & Surrounding Region
Irongate & Surrounding Region

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastleInspector
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Irongate & Surrounding Region Reply with quote

Okay, again hoping for contributions, esp. from those knowledgeable around the Irongate region. Extending from my question on noble titles, I'm now looking at sourrounding lands.

Some suggested important landed titles within the region of Irongate:

Lord Warden of North Anchor: Mayor of North Anchor and also the area due west of North Anchor, along the road that heads east into the Iron Hills. As such this person also acts as the key protector from threats emerging from Ahlissa. More light cavalry are stationed here acting as scouts and skirmishers near the boarder with Ahlissa.

Lord Thane of the Baraktors: The' Highlands' are the main hills East of Irongate (The Baraktors) heading toward the Iron Hills. There is a long road the runs up from the eastern coast road through the middle of this area. There are two major dwarf settlements on this road. So the person on this position is a key interface with the Irongate dwarves - probably a dwarf him/herself, maybe a clan leader?

Lord Protector of the Coastal Dales: This title includes the road heading east from Irongate along the coast all the way to the border with Naerie. There are several fishing villages along this relatively well travelled road and IMC a small town of around 1000 where the Lord resides. This town is situated on the coast where the eastern coast road meets the road running up through the Baraktors to the Iron Hills. This person must protector from threats emerging from Naerie while trying to nurtur trade with the same.

Lord Ranger of the Western Hills: This title covers all the hills west of the north-south line from Irongate to North Anchor. There is one road/trail leading to Onwall with a couple of villages on it, and pretty much nothing else significant.

The other thing I noticed from Anna's maps is there a two large dwarven settlements on the road running up through the Baraktors. One is a small dwarven city (5-12000, so I'm picking ~7,000 dwarves) and the other is a large town (2-5000, so I'm picking 2,500 and basing it around a lucrative fortified mine complex). There I assume are Irongate dwarves from Irongate Clans?

What would be there relationship to the Lord Mayor of Irongate? Landed Lords? Would they pay homage to King Holgi as well?

I'm guessing there is not too many of you interested in this area of Greyhawk but would love to here some thoughts on the above.

I'm trying to sketch out a regional map for the Irongate region and I'm including villages and thorps. I'm using the roads as on Anna's latest maps.
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Irongate & Surrounding Region Reply with quote

First of all, I want to say that this is looking to be a very well researched and though out piece of informative writing you are producing here, CastleInspector, and it is my hope that you will develop it into an article for submission to Canonfire! or the Oerth Journal.

CastleInspector wrote:
What would be there relationship to the Lord Mayor of Irongate? Landed Lords? Would they pay homage to King Holgi as well?

The relationship of the dwarven clans with the rulership of Irongate would have evolved over time. While the area was under the thumb of the Great Kingdom, they were likely taxed heavily, but given little representation in the court of the ruler of South Province. As they and the nobles of Irongate and its environs seceeded from the Great Kingdom, their relationship was probably a simple alliance with assurances from the city that no authority would be assumed over the dwarven conclaves while the dwarves gave assurances that the resources of their mines and the products of their forges would go to Irongate and not to the South Province/Great Kingdom. Later treaties would have likely been enacted that provided Irongate military protection to the lands near the dwarven conclaves in exchange for a form of taxes placed upon them - perhaps it was in the form of guaranteed lower prices for dwarven iron and weapons.

As time passed, the dwarves would have desired, and gained some voting representation on various guilds and governmental councils in Irongate and the taxes paid to the city by them would likely have increased proportionally. At the present time, I would guess that each of the major dwarven clans holds a number of seats on the council that advises Cobb Darg proportionate to their relative population, plus additional seats representing their miliatary and economic influence in the city-state. The clans would be required to provide a certain number of soldiers for the defense of the state when called upon by the Lord Mayor and the ruler(s) of the clans would enjoy a position in Irongate government and society equal to any noble controlling equal numbers of population, military might, and economic influence.

They may have different titles and positions within their own clan organization, however.

SirXaris

P.S. I'm glad to see that you are using Anna's maps. I planned to suggest that and provide you a link until I read the last part of your post. Smile

In case you haven't already seen these, here is a link to an article by Gary Holian and Dennis Tetreault with some interesting maps of the Irongate region: http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=852
Crag
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post; CastleInspector

Rest assured; plenty of members love the irongate environs, check out the maldin site.

Personally, I would love to see such an article in the oerth journal. Give it some real consideration.

One thing; Lord Ranger of the Western Hills, why no title like the others?

Might I suggest: Lord Reeve of the Western Hills, instead.

Keep the anglo-saxon theme of thane...

Well done
Crag
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I was just returning to suggest you reference Maldin's website if you haven't already and see that Crag beat me to it. But, I can add a quick link for your convenience. Wink

http://melkot.com/locations/irongate/ig-city.html

In addition, Dragon Magazine #351 has more information on Irongate and Cobb Darg, specifically as does Oerth Journal #13.

SirXaris
CastleInspector
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crag wrote:

Might I suggest: Lord Reeve of the Western Hills, instead.

Keep the anglo-saxon theme of thane...

Well done
Crag

Precisely why I post on Canonfire - lots of good ideas when my stuff falls short. Lord Reeve is good - is that the right spelling? In any case I like that suggestion.
CastleInspector
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirXaris wrote:
Ha! I was just returning to suggest you reference Maldin's website if you haven't already and see that Crag beat me to it. But, I can add a quick link for your convenience. Wink

http://melkot.com/locations/irongate/ig-city.html

In addition, Dragon Magazine #351 has more information on Irongate and Cobb Darg, specifically as does Oerth Journal #13.

SirXaris

Much appreciated. Haunted the Melkot site regularly is the hopes of further updates, to no avail. No offense to the site owners, real life and all that. I really like how it has evolved from their initial ideas. I love the undercity idea.

Don't think I was aware of OJ13 - going to check that now.

Thanks again.
CastleInspector
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crag wrote:

Personally, I would love to see such an article in the oerth journal. Give it some real consideration.

Crag

You and me both Happy Was hoping someone more talented would beat me to it. Ideas and forming. I have a regional map largely thanks to Anna's work. I'll look at some OJ articles and see how gazetteer type ones work and see what I can put together.

Thanks for the encourage Crag and Sir Xaris. I'm doing this alone at this end some it is great to have people to bounce ideas off. Helps get rid of the lame ones and polish the okay ones. Rest assured if I get to a point of having something useful I will share it with the CF community.
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CastleInspector wrote:
Much appreciated. Haunted the Melkot site regularly is the hopes of further updates, to no avail. No offense to the site owners, real life and all that. I really like how it has evolved from their initial ideas. I love the undercity idea.

Don't let them catch you looking, but if you take a quick peak at the authors of some of the articles we've mentioned above you'll notice that one of them is the same as that of the mild-mannered alter ego of Maldin himself (Psst. It's Dennis Tetrault. Wink )

SirXaris
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't seen it already, see Draqon Magazine #351 for the "Irongate: City of Stairs" article by Gary "PSmedger" Holian and Denis "Maldin" Tetreault.

CastleInspector wrote:
I'm guessing there is not too many of you interested in this area of Greyhawk but would love to here some thoughts on the above.

This is sort of funny, as Gary Holian runs this site and Denis Tetreault is member #17 here. Laughing This sort of topic might see them emerge from their lairs. Shocked
CastleInspector
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my map now has for regions in addition to the city itself.

The western one is largely devoid of population. I see the western approaches as a place of adventure. Governance would probably being focussed on trying to keep the road to Onnwal open and free from bandits.

The North is focussed on acting as a buffer with Ahlissa and keeping North Anchor prosperous.

The East (Baraktors) fits well as a dwarven centric domain and engages with the Iron Hills.

The South (Coastal Dales) promotes trade and engagement with Naerie while looking after the fishing villages on the east coast road.

Now would these Lords have their own troops (household troops) or would Irongate troops be posted at these locations?

I've been working on re-casting the Irongate miltary, based on the original canon figures and tweaking them:

Canon:
Light Cav 200
Marines 1000
Crossbowmen 1000
Levied Polearm infantry 2000 available
Hillmen 2000

Tweaked:
Light Cavalry I imagine used as scouts and skirmishers. Keeping the roads free on bandits etc. I think 200 was too few, so I upped it.

Marines, about right, assuming the fleet has been built back up after the damage from the seige/war.

Crossbowmen: about right. Some references to the elite 3rd tower company. I have ten companies of 100. 3rd Tower Cpy being the pinnacle.

Levied infantry. About right.

Hillmen. There aren't enough hillmen to support this number. IMC there are some oeridian hillmen scattered through the Baraktors and they are tough hillmen types but there is not that many of them. I would make this a much smaller group that would be called out in time of war to act as skirmishers, ambushers and guerilla fighting types.

I've added some elite dwarven infantry units because there is bound to be some in Irongate.

New Figures, something like:
400 Light cavalry
800 Marines, 800 reserve Marines
400 Polearm Infantry, 2000 reserves
200 Dwarven Elite Infantry, 600 dwrvn infantry reserve
1000 Armoured Crossbowmen, 500 reserves
200 Hillmen skirmishers, 200 reserve

Reserve = militia types

What about a city watch? Would Irongate have a separate city watch? My current thinking is that the Irongate military provide basic patrol and guards. A small city watch provides investigators and legal experts to manage what little crime there is.
AvalonAB
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Just 1 question: are the light cavalry Human? as dwarves are not really mounted troops.

I would see these horsemen as Scottish Highlands types, sturdy ponies with spear & sword and maybe Buckler,
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AvalonAB wrote:
Hi there
Just 1 question: are the light cavalry Human? as dwarves are not really mounted troops.

Disagree, as this is a fantasy setting. many have often employed Dwarves mounted on ponies, giant boar, giant ram, bears, and even Griffon as "cavalry" types. Remember, all races are inclined to domesticate mounts from animals with in the regions they habitat.
http://oldglory25s.com/view_product.php?product=GD09
http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/dwarves.html
Ral Partha. 02-034 Dwarf War Ram Cavalry (if you can still find them)
(Just to name a few listings for minis)
rasgon
GreySage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google search for "dwarves on rams" found me this.
CastleInspector
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that in a fantasy setting dwarves can have cavalry. Though in this case the light cavalry are human. I interpret them as 'highland cavalry' too, kind of scouts and skirmishers. In peace they patrol the roads to deter bandits and act as a quick response force for the outlying areas. In war, they would act as a harassing force, striking the enemy quickly then melding back into the highlands. Much like the 'hillmen' troops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Irongate All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: