Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Spell Adaptation type of Feat?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Spell Adaptation type of Feat?
    GreySage

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:07 am  
    Spell Adaptation type of Feat?

Okay fellas. What I need is a Feat that allows a spellcaster to slightly alter their spells so that they work in environments that would normally either prevent them from working or cause their effects to be corrupted, sometimes disastrously. I am aware that any spellcaster can accomplish such a feat with a successful Spellcraft check, but I want a Feat that allows its success automatically in a given type of environment.

I am prepared to write up my own version of such a feat if necessary, but would like to know if an official feat of this type has already been published. I have searched through every 3.5e product that I own and have searched through several online indexes of 3.5e feats all to no avail. So, my last resort, in order to be as thorough in my research as possible, is to make this request on Canonfire! Please let me know if you are aware of such a feat.

Here is a general outline of what I have in mind. Please let me know what you think would improve it if I end up having to go the DIY route.

Spell Adaptation (Elemental [Air, Earth, Fire, or Water]), (Extraplanar [specific plane]), or Void/Vacuum, etc.
    You can safely and effectively cast spells in an environment wherein the spell would normally be ineffective (e.g. Gust of Wind in a vacuum) or disastrously effective (e.g. Lightning Bolt from your fingertips underwater) in that particular environment. No Spellcraft check is required.
    In order to gain this feat, you must have previously adventured within such an environment and experimented with casting spells under its normal restrictions or have studied under a tutor who has done so and has this Feat.

Thanks! Happy

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:12 am  

Hi,

There are two feats that I know you can inspire youself from:

Steam Magic that is very close to you home made feat.
    Sunken Song that is interesting in is descirption specifically for the vaccum aspect.

Both are from Stormwrack p.93 and 94 respectively.
    GreySage

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:15 pm  

Thanks Fran_Horace.

I used those as inspiration, but don't like the way they based those feats on the type of damage (Fire or Sonic respectively) that are effected.

In other words, Steam Magic allows the spellcaster to cast fire spells effectively in underwater environments. S/he can't cast electricity or cold spells effectively in underwater enviroments, nor can s/he cast fire spells effectively in an earth or void-like environment.

For such a feat to be of equal value to other feats, I think it needs to allow a caster to train within any special type of environment and thereby learn to cast all of his or her spells effectively while within that particular enviroment. Taking the Spell Adaptation: Elemental Water feat would allow a spellcaster to cast all spells normally while underwater, but wouldn't allow them the same competency when on the elemental plane of Earth, Fire, or Air, or when in a vacuum, for example.

I would like to know if anyone has come across an official feat that does this.

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: