Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Gord sent me
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Gord sent me
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 31, 2012 6:53 pm  
    Gord sent me

Hello All!

I played my first game of D&D in the 6th grade in the Science Lab after school in 1988. I played a Gnome thief named Worg and we were attacked by giant ants. I was hooked. I've played 1E, 2E and 3.5, but spent most of my time with 2E. I devoured the novels - my first was The Old City Saga, with trusty Gord. I would read many more - from Gord to Dragonlance to Drizzt.

After High School I rarely got more than a sparse game here or there in. I dabbled with other role playing games, notably Vampire: The Masquerade and Marvel Super Heroes. I mostly filled the void with MMOs like WoW, City of Heroes and most recently SW:ToR and D&D PC games like the Baldur's Gate series.

A couple of years ago I got a chance to play through a lengthy 3.5 campaign and have been itching to start up again ever since. Tired of waiting for my friends to spontaneously get a game started, I decided to take the bull by the horns and became a DM for the first time. For some reason, I balked at returning to 3.5 or trying 4E or Pathfinder and decided to head back to basics. I considered a straight 1E game, but settled on 2E since I was more familiar with it and could still incorporate 1E materials.

So here I am - married, two jobs, three kids - starting my first campaign. The game starts in a couple weeks and I'm trying my best to get prepared. The full world of Greyhawk is blessing for me - so many rich directions to head. I can't wait to see what happens!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:00 pm  

Welcome Nerdcav!

Great to have you here. Just like you, many of us were in similar positions over the years, but we all always headed back to good old faithful.

What are you planning to run as your first adventure?

Please, ask if you need any help down the road.

Dark Herald

Last edited by DarkHerald on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 pm  

Welcome mate!

Strong echo to the words of DH.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:19 am  

Thanks guys! I'm planning on running ToEE for my first campaign. I expect to run a couple one-offs at the start, just minor quests - just to get them up to 2 or 3 so they survive the ordeal. Hoping it goes well!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:23 am  

I am currently running ToEE using the Pathfinder rule system. You can go check out my blog. http://greyhawkadventures576cy.blogspot.com/
    GreySage

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:28 am  

Welcome nerdcav! We're glad you decided to join us here on Canonfire!

SirXaris
    GreySage

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:43 pm  

Welcome aboard fellow 2e comrade,

Your story sounds similar to my own. Strikingly similar in fact, though I didn't really read the Gord novels until 'recently' (that being the past decade or so), though I remember them vaguely in the 80s.

Like yourself, I also played in numerous different gaming systems apart from DnD. My list includes some you have mentioned, such as White Wolf (Vampire and Werewolf) and Marvel Superheroes (great that you mentioned that one!). I still have some stats memorized. Wink I have also dabbled into Mech Warrior/Battletech, Star Frontiers (anyone recall that game?!), Star Trek, Star Wars (old and newer versions), and even GURPS (which seems to have a strong, ardent following). Gaming geek, that's me.

But I have always returned to ADnD as my primary gaming system. Always.

Glad you've joined us, Nerdcav. Welcome home. Happy

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:53 pm  

@Lanthorn - I don't want to get kicked off the site so soon, but my RPG heart belongs to Marvel Super Heroes. I can't wait for the day my own kids get old enough for me to break out the books and start gaming with them.

@SirXaris - Glad to be here!

@DarkHerald - Thanks for linking your site - I can't wait to read it!

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:49 pm  

nerdcav,

Welcome to the boards and the chats its great to have you aboard. I'm writing it down in my book Marvel Super Hero's blasphemer!
    Razz

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:44 am  

Nerdcav,

I very much enjoy all your posts. Thanks for the good conversation and discourse. You are a nice, welcome addition to Canonfire! Glad to have you aboard (and tis always nice to find a friendly, 2e face).

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: