Username Password
   or Create an Account
HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - The Keep on the Borderlands - Complete
The Keep on the Borderlands - Complete
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Personally, I don't see Tumak's and Ynohtna's friendship surviving this episode, but then it's not my game. rolleyes

Oh, well, we'll wait to see what else happens now. Shocked
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
Hmm. Personally, I don't see Tumak's and Ynohtna's friendship surviving this episode, but then it's not my game. rolleyes

These two players are good friends and had lots of fun beating each other up without going so far as to kill one another. Evil Grin

More adventure, and death, to come!

SirXaris
Tumak
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing Sir Xaris forgot is how Tumak Copperbeard (at that time Tumak Nobeard) got his long scar across the left eye, all the way down his cheak. It was while I was hanging upside down and the cobolds were standing around me that the half dragon cobold sliced me with his rapier when the Driade tried to chase them away...

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

haha, we are roommates and he is one of my best friends :D we sorted it out right away... however he does owe me 1000 gp :D
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Tumak! Thanks for joining the thread and Canonfire! Introduce yourself to the community properly over in the Welcome to Greyhawk forum so everyone knows we've got a new member. Smile

Those Wretched Kobolds!

Participating PC
Tumak Nobeard - 3rd level male dwarf Fighter;
Ynohtna Noswal - 3rd level male half-orc Ranger;
Blump Butter - 4th level male gnome Cleric.

While Ynohtna searched the merchant stalls for one who could acquire a magical Cloak of Resistance with which to propitiate his vengful love goddess, the dryad, Tumak was again summoned before Sir Tornamir. The castellan informed Tumak that it was going to be quite difficult to ascertain the truth of the incidents without being able to question Sir Bluto's men, who were vital witnesses, and asked him if he wanted to pursue the matter further. Tumak thanked him for his efforts, but explained that it had all been a misunderstanding and that the matter was settled as far as he was concerned. Ynohtna, lacking enough cash to pay for such an item was able to haggle a merchant into accepting a magical sword and a potion of Bull's Strength in exchange. The pleased merchant promised to return to the Keep within one month's time with the magical cloak Ynohtna had requested.

Having settled all pressing business and restored their friendship, the two companions spent the remainder of the day enjoying fine food and drink at the tavern while regaling the locals with only slightly embellished, but highly edited, tales of their adventures in the region. Later in the evening, Blump, their clerical, gnomish friend, returned from visiting friends in the forested hills west of the Keep and joined them at the table. Together, they planned to venture forth again, come the morn, and see what a new day would bring.

Leaving the Keep a little later than they had initially planned, the trio headed into the woods, less fearful of the dryad as they figured they had at least a month's worth of free pass while she waited for their gift to be delivered. They encountered a friendly woodsman here and there and chased off a few wild animals and humanoids, but eventually they found opponents worthy of their focus. In the underbrush ahead, they spied several small humanoids preparing an ambush for them. Tumak noted their green scaly hides and immediately called a challenge and charged. As Blump and Ynohtna followed more cautiously, the kobolds scattered in all directions, fleeing from the angry dwarf with the crescent blade attached to his arm (a scizor). Tumak spied one of the fleeing vermin with darker scales and recognized it as the black-scaled leader of the tribe. He turned on a burst of speed and bulled straight through the brush and branches in his attempt to catch the creature that had scarred his face and embarassed him into pretending to be a half-gnome, half-goblin. He had to kill the creature before it told anyone else about the incident.

The kobold chieftain apparently realized that the dwarf was about to catch up to him, so turned and faced about to accept the charge with his whip and rapier. The dwarf's rage almost blinded him to anything but his prey, but his danger sense kicked in just in time to cause him to duck as he passed by a huge tree. Doing so prevented his head from being struck from his shoulders as a tree limb as thick as his thigh split the air above him. An ogre had somehow been recruited by the kobolds to help them ambush the party! Tumak, however, had no interest in the ogre, but continued on to spit the kobold leader on his scizor. Things looked bad for Tumak then as he faced off with the pint-sized half-dragon because the ogre advanced on him from behind and the five remaining kobolds tribesmen were circling back to engage him along with their chief. Fortunately, Tumak's friends were racing to assist him too.

Fighting defensively until his friends could relieve some of the pressure, Tumak managed to avoid the pointy end of the miniature rapier and learned a rather elven-like dance step while avoiding the trip attempts of the whip all while ducking and blocking the powerful strokes of the ogre's club. Just in time, Ynohtna and Blump, on his war dog, arrived and distracted the ogre. The green-scaled kobolds also arrived and, seeing their chieftain in a fight for his life, dog-piled the doughty dwarf. Despite his encredible strength and the relative weakness of the kobolds, there were just too many of them to out-wrestle and he was bourne to the ground. During the struggle, the chieftain stepped up and delivered a coup-de-grace to the dwarf's chest. Fortunately for Tumak, the blow was weak or his armor was true, or his struggles deflected the blow, or a likely combination of the three and divine grace, and he survived... barely. Blump heard his cry of agony, however and hopped from his war dog's back and raced over to aid his dwarven comrade.

As Ynohtna and the war dog sliced and tore the ogre's legs to eventually topple and destroy the beast, Blump dove into the midst of the pile with a spell of healing on his lips. Ignoring the minor blows he received from the entangled kobolds, he administered enough curative magic to Tumak to give him the strength to continue the fight. Between the two, they were able to throw off the pinning kobolds and catch the leader in a steel vice between scizor and axe. Seeing both their leader and their muscle felled by the adventurers, the few, pitiful remnants of the once vicious tribe fled as fast and as far as their short legs could carry them.

Suffering many serious injuries and having finally put an end to one of their most hated rivals, the companions decided to call it a day and returned to the keep with a couple of impressive heads as trophies to add to their collection.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:56 am; edited 3 times in total
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirXaris wrote:
These two players are good friends and had lots of fun beating each other up without going so far as to kill one another.

Tumak wrote:
we are roommates and he is one of my best friends.

Razz

Just in case you two missed it the first time . . . Razz

I was not talking about the PLAYERS! rolleyes

Since you're obviously both "GEEKS" -- I already knew that about Xaris! Razz -- I'll use simple words:

The relationship of the two imaginary CHARACTERS would not survive this disaster.

It's called Role Playing, as opposed to what you two are doing, to wit: Roll Playing.

"Hey! I rolled another natural 20!" Shocked rolleyes

You two are not going to win any Oscars! Xaris, what AM I going to do with you? Laughing Evil Grin Laughing Evil Grin Laughing Evil Grin

Tumak, Xaris knows I'm just having fun with the two of you, so don't take it personally! And . . .

Welcome to Canonfire! Now, go to the "Welcome to Canonfire!" thread and introduce yourself! Wink Laughing

Incidentally, if I may ask, did you two used to get your lunch money stolen at school? Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirXaris wrote:
Tumak noted their green scaly hides and immediately called a challenge and charged . . . Tumak, however, had no interest in the ogre, but continued on to spit the kobold leader on his scizor . . .

How does that go? Something about "looking before you leap?" Surprised

Or is it "rushing in where angels fear to tread?" Shocked

Well, it's one of those anyway! Evil Grin Laughing
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

The relationship of the two imaginary CHARACTERS would not survive this disaster.

I got it, but I've seen role-playing cause rifts between real-life friends, so wanted to point out that they were just having a good time in real-life by beating up each other's PCs. All's good. Smile

And, in the next installment, a brand new player joins the group and suffers trial by fire as he learns just how deadly the Flanaess can be. Evil Grin

SirXaris
Tumak
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirXaris wrote:
Mystic-Scholar wrote:

I got it, but I've seen role-playing cause rifts between real-life friends, so wanted to point out that they were just having a good time in real-life by beating up each other's PCs. All's good. Smile

And, in the next installment, a brand new player joins the group and suffers trial by fire as he learns just how deadly the Flanaess can be. Evil Grin

SirXaris

don't forget my fight with the assassin
Tumak
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumak Copperbeard, the slayer of the Minotaur, the Protector of clerics, the Mighty Duelist, the Penis Collector, the Orc Hewer, the Destroyer of Ogres, the Cave Cleaner, etc.

In his early days chopping some wood.

EDIT: OK can some moderator change the size of the pic?
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirXaris wrote:
I've seen role-playing cause rifts between real-life friends . . .

A sad truth and that's why they will never win an Oscar. Sad

The movie Twins? Arnold disses Sly. The movie Demolition Man? Sly disses Arnold. The movie The Expendables? They aren't friends, but competitors. Real life? Friends and business partners. Evil Grin

Need to separate fiction from reality. In playing the game . . . you're making a movie. You're actors, nothing more.

That's something everyone needs to bare in mind. Happy Cool

Still enjoying following your game! Evil Grin
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mystery Cave

Participating PCs
Ynohtna Noswall - 3rd level male half-orc Ranger;
Blump Butter - 4th level male gnome Cleric;
* New Player * Todd - 2nd level male human Cleric from the Thillonrian peninsula.

The trio of adventuring companions answered a new summons from Abdiel, the head priest of Heironeous at the chapel in the keep and discovered that he had a rather impressive-looking guest to introduce to them. Todd was a giant of a man dressed in the armor and wielding the weapons of the barbarians of the cold northeast. Abdiel introduced Todd as a Cleric of Fharlanghn, who was the last known survivor of a group that had traveled across the northern reaches of the Flanaess. Having lost his companions (including his own brother), Todd hoped to join another group of reputable adventurers to continue his exploration of the world beyond his frozen homeland. The three would have happily accepted any competent and trustworthy adventurer into their ranks, but another Cleric was a special treat.

Todd, the Ill-fated

Abdiel also had a few newly brewed healing potions for the PCs for their continued donations and the four planned an early trek to the Caves of Chaos at dawn. When they arrived, they had a choice to make. Having scouted the area previously, they knew that there remained three unexplored caves in the ravine. They had seen bugbears entering and exiting from a copse of trees high on the ravine wall and had witnessed Iuzian Clerics and their undead bodyguards coming and going from the cave at the far end. They also knew of a lower cave within a tangled copse at the upper end of the ravine from which the Goblin Run emerged, but had never had an opportunity to see what might live within. After debating the advantages and disadvantages they might possess with respect to the known forces within the two upper caves, they settled for exploring the unknown.

Upon entering, they noted that the natural cavern split left and right, with the the Goblin Run coming from the right-hand passage. After an extensive and heated argument rolleyes they wandered left. They discovered that the detritus of bones, excrement, sticks, and leaves covering the floors of the various natural caverns within also hid the ocassional coin of various value. Searching turned up random coinage, but the noise also attracted a nest of four giant rats. These fearless beasts were easily dispatched, but Ynohtna was given a short fright as the bite he suffered tingled with the effects of the disease-ridden saliva of the plague-carrying rodent. Fortunately, his knowledge of herbal remedies allowed him to stave off a serious infection.

To be continued...

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirXaris wrote:
Abdiel introduced Todd as a Cleric of Fharlanghn, who was the last known survivor of a group that had traveled across the northern reaches of the Flanaess . . . beyond his frozen homeland.

Interestingly, the LGG doesn't show Fharlanghn being worshipped in Stonehold, or by the Frost, Snow,Ice Barbarians. That is to say, he doesn't receive any major worship there. An unlikely place to originate a Cleric of Fharlanghn.

Where, exactly, is Todd from? Confused
Lanthorn
GreySage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumak wrote:
Tumak Copperbeard... the Penis Collector...

One AND the same, people, one and the same!!! Laughing

-Lanthorn, the Laughing
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
SirXaris wrote:
Abdiel introduced Todd as a Cleric of Fharlanghn, who was the last known survivor of a group that had traveled across the northern reaches of the Flanaess . . . beyond his frozen homeland.

Interestingly, the LGG doesn't show Fharlanghn being worshipped in Stonehold, or by the Frost, Snow,Ice Barbarians. That is to say, he doesn't receive any major worship there. An unlikely place to originate a Cleric of Fharlanghn.

Where, exactly, is Todd from? Confused

It was a quick choice on my part as the player hadn't time to choose a Greyhawk god he felt best represented his viking-like Cleric. I chose one for this write-up that explained the far-wanderings of this PC without limiting his more realistic choices for replacement PCs. Wink Cool

The Mystery Cave continued

Participating PCs
Ynohtna Noswall - 3rd level male half-orc Ranger;
Todd - 2nd level male human Cleric from the Thillonrian peninsula.

Having dispatched the rodent vermin with relative ease, the group continued to explore the numerous natural caverns within the system, searching for lost treasure while keeping an eye out for any other hungry surprises these uneven pits might hold. That was fortunate as Ynohtna noticed the ceiling in the far corner of a cavern he was searching begin to move and shift in time to jump clear as it fell to the floor in the spot he'd just vacated. Surprisingly, the blob reached out and grabbed him with an acidic tendril which held on with unnatural strength. Ynohtna struggled valiantly, but lost the fight to free himself from the grip of the greyish blob as his companions raced to his rescue. Blump grabbed ahold of the half-orc right through the viscous ooze while Tumak and Todd hurled flasks of oil into its midst. The Ranger sliced a hole with his dagger and the Cleric pulled with all his might and they were successful to a degree - Ynohtna emerged with only some tendrils still grasping him. The constriction and acid were taking their toll, however, and the ooze was grasping at Blump and his war dog as well. Lighting a torch from his pack (which hadn't been needed yet as the Clerics had been making liberal use of their Light orisons), Todd hurled it onto the slimy, grey exudation. It immediately erupted in flame, but refused to lessen its grasp.

Tumak remained back from the oily conflagration and maintained a watchful vigil against the possible attack of other opponents from the two entrances/exits in the cavern and the very walls, ceiling and floor. That was fortunate as he also just avoided having another ooze drop upon him. It did manage to violently grab ahold of him with an acidic pseudopod, however, much as Ynohtna had been attacked. The Ranger managed to free himself from the ooze's grip and ran to assist his dwarven friend while Todd continued to lend the strength of his sword-arm to the gnome and his dog. As the flames died on the ooze, the warriors noted that it seemed completely unharmed by the fire. They became a bit worried as the damage they dealt it seemed paltry, though more harmful than the flame. Once the oozes grappled a victim, they attempted to envelope it, but the adventurers fought back with muscle and steel and managed to avoid being completely engulfed again for a time. Winning completely free of the monstrosities, however, proved difficult.

While struggling against the entanglement of the acidic ooze, Tumak could only watch in horror as only he noticed a furry hulk emerge from the tunnel they had not yet entered. It lumbered with unexpected speed up behind their new clerical ally and raised itself upon its back legs. This was an owlbear larger than any the experienced Fighter had yet seen! Before he could catch his breath to cry a warning, it grappled Todd in its clawed forelegs, crushed the life from him, and snapped his head off in one crunch of its razor-sharp beak! Blump turned to see the beast dragging Todd's body back into its cave, but could do nothing and his war dog had just been enveloped by the ooze! Tumak and Ynohtna were both caught by the other grey ooze and could do nothing but struggle against it's grip.

Blump, though he gave it everything he had, couldn't pull his dog free of the ooze and when its body stopped its struggle, Blump chose to swallow his tears and run to the aid of the friends who still lived. The half-orc had been enveloped by the other ooze and though Blump and Tumak hacked at it until it dissolved into a pile of weak acid on the cavern floor, they were too late to save the life of their friend. Ynohtna, half-orc Ranger, and Todd, human Cleric of Farlangh, had fought their last fight. They knew they lacked the strength to face that giant owlbear, but they could take the half-orc's body with them and see it got a proper burial.

Together, they fled the mystery cave to the relative safety of the ravine itself, but they did not stop there. They ran all the way to the pallisaded watchtower east of the road where the dozen soldiers stationed within threw open the gates and helped them inside. As the surviving pair rested and healed under the protective watch of the Keep's soldiers, they nearly despaired at the loss of so many of their compatriots and pets. While resting, a mounted patrol lead by none other than Gelinjay, Sir Tornamir's elven advisor, stopped by for a rest on its way back from a weeklong survey of Lord Locks' demesne. Tumak had asked his clerical friend and Abdiel about the possibility of a spell that would regrow his beard, but they said such magic was not within their purview. Gelinjay, however, admitted that he could concoct a spell or potion that could cause the dwarf's beard to grow back out again very quickly, but that it might take a few days. This brightened Tumak's mood considerably and, once healed by Blump's magic, the pair of demi-humans made their way back to the Keep. Their first stop was to see Abdiel to explain the loss of the Cleric of Farlangh.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tumak
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanthorn wrote:
Tumak wrote:
Tumak Copperbeard... the Penis Collector...

One AND the same, people, one and the same!!! Laughing

-Lanthorn, the Laughing

didn't really understand this...but whatever... I got that nickname because I chop off the dicks of my enemies that are rarely seen in combat

Tumak, the Whateverman
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirXaris wrote:
It was a quick choice on my part as the player hadn't time to choose a Greyhawk god he felt best represented his viking-like Cleric.

Given the limitations caused by his imprisonment, Vatun would have been an interesting choice. And the search for the Five Blades of Corusk would be a great reason for traveling the Flanaess. Happy

I'm just saying . . . Wink
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
SirXaris wrote:
It was a quick choice on my part as the player hadn't time to choose a Greyhawk god he felt best represented his viking-like Cleric.

Given the limitations caused by his imprisonment, Vatun would have been an interesting choice. And the search for the Five Blades of Corusk would be a great reason for traveling the Flanaess. Happy

I'm just saying . . . Wink

Yes, had I thought of it, that would have been a good idea. But Vatun is a valid option for the player's replacement PC, who will be Todd's twin brother, so I wanted him to have that option as one more chance to differenciate the two PC. Wink I figured Farlangh wasn't really one the player would consider for his character.

SirXaris
Lanthorn
GreySage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always loved owlbears as a creature. Never before DMed an enounter with a grey ooze (to my memory) in over 20 yrs of gaming, though. Confused I never knew they were so damned tough! I will have to refamiliarize myself with their stats (at least, in 1 and 2e).

Sad loss to the party. Sorry fellas, but an owlbear's gotta eat, too. Wink

-Lanthorn
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanthorn wrote:
I have always loved owlbears as a creature. Never before DMed an enounter with a grey ooze (to my memory) in over 20 yrs of gaming, though. Confused I never knew they were so damned tough! I will have to refamiliarize myself with their stats (at least, in 1 and 2e).

Sad loss to the party. Sorry fellas, but an owlbear's gotta eat, too. Wink

-Lanthorn

I almost TPK'd a party way back in college with that same combination. Wink Eight party members entered the mystery cave. One PC with two hit points remaining carried three unconscious and four PC dead bodies out to their tethered horses. Evil Grin

SirXaris
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interlude: The Swamp

Participating PCs
Ynohtna Noswal - 3rd level male half-orc Ranger;
Tumak Nobeard - 3rd level male dwarf Fighter.

Sitting in the tavern reminiscing about the adventures they had enjoyed with their half-orc friend before his death, Tumak and Blump related the tale of their daring foray into the swamp not that far agone. The tale began with sober sadness, but grew through the evening into one of drunken one-upmanship.

As Tumak began the tale, Blump admitted having to be convinced to risk trudging into the mire along the banks of the Deepstil after the rumors he'd heard from the folk of the Keep. Challenging the bravery of his clan, Tumak and Ynohtna had coaxed the leary gnome to brave the sodden challenges within and the trio crept as stealthily as possible into the mist.

Though the fog that shrouded the swamp was generally a natural occurance in the mornings and at certain times during the seasons, it was undoubtedly now quite unnatural as it remained perpetually throughout the day and night. Visibility was low and the trees still standing were dead or dying. The three adventurers slogged into the morass of swamp grass and water, hanging onto an ocassional tree. They had to keep moving or they would slowly sink into the muck and likely lose their footgear. Their first surprise was a half-dozen dead bodies that rose from the muck and water grasping at their legs and trying to pull them down to rather unpleasant deaths. These proved vulnerable to Blump's power to channel positive energy, though, so the encounter went successfully for the living. Shortly thereafter, they were accosted by over twice as many fleshless undead who crumbled to dust as Blump was prepared to repeat his divine feat more quickly this time. As they continued, they had to guard against poisonous snakes that swam stealthily toward them and more assaults by rotting corpses rising to assault them from the soggy vegetation they trod upon. It appeared to the group that this area was infested with the unliving. So far, it appeared that skeletons and zombies outnumbered the natural wildlife.

That thought was interrupted by the sighting of a hooded head peering at them from behind the Y of a dead tree's split trunk. When they called a greeting, it disappeared. They trailed it, but again, it disappeared as they approached. Stopping to get their bearings, they spied a giant rodent, much like the ones they had battled in the kobold's warrens. Not pleased by the sight, Blump placed a rounded bullet in his sling and let it fly. His aim was true, but the bullet seemed to bounce of the rat's skull with minimal effect. It did, however, move out of sight behind some swamp grass on a tuft separated from the party by about 15 feet of shallow water. Watching the spot for the disease-ridden vermin to reappear, they saw instead a hooded man stand as if from a crouch. Without explanation, his hands were clawed and covered in course black hair while his face was that of a giant rat!

"Changling! Shapeshifter!" they called as blades were drawn to confront the demon advancing on their position. With a sneer upon its face, the wererat strode confidently through the two-foot deep swamp while drawing a rapier and a long dagger from its belt. The party knew they could not outrun an opponent in the marshy wilderness of these baleful bogs, so stood their ground and met the fiend toe-to-toe. The blades of Blump and Tumak sliced through the creature's clothing, but drew no blood from its flesh. It's blades, however, dealt the trio several piercing wounds before Ynohtna's falchion opened the cocky beast's midsection deeply enough to allow it's entrails to peek through. Shocked at this developement, the ratman turned and dove into the swamp. Changing to rat form in midair before the wondering eyes of the demi-humans, it fled before the magical power of the Ranger's two-handed scimitar. Realizing their potential peril, the trio wisely decided to make their way back to the more solid ground of the Keep. Once back on terra firma, they determined not to assail the denizens of the swamp again with out more assistance and a plan of retreat.

The tale ended with mugs raised round about in honor of the bravery of the half-orc Ranger who had saved the lives of his two friends that day.

Shananana (satyr) and Rock Hammerhand Boulderbeard (goliath) enjoy the tales of a half-orc ranger during their stay at the Keep.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. These three are not as stupid as they . . . look? Evil Grin

The Were-rat shall have to rethink its strategy! Cool

Last edited by Mystic-Scholar on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assassin!

Participating PCs
Blump Butter - 4th level gnome Cleric;
Tumak Nobeard - 4th level dwarf Fighter.

The next day, the two surviving members of the latest assault on the Caves of Chaos received a summons from Abdiel. Hurriedly, they dressed and made their way through the busy morning streets of the Keep to the chapel of Heironeous. There, they had left the body of their Ranger friend with the good priests for proper interment. An acolyte led them into a side room for a private audience with Head Priest Abdiel who attended to them without delay.

With a hopeful expression upon his face, he began the explanation of the reason for his summons by offering to Raise Ynohtna from the dead! This, of course, got the pair's attention and immediately dispelled the gloom that hung about them. Abdiel continued the explanation thusly: Years ago, when Lord Locks established the Keep and appointed Abdiel to preside over the chapel within, Abdiel's superior in Perrenland had gifted the young priest with a scroll with a single Raise Dead spell inscribed upon it. This spell was to be used only in extreme emergency (likely for Lord Locks or himself, it was expected). But, recent divinations have warned Abdiel that his own life is in great danger and that the best chance of avoiding death at the hands of an assassin was for one of these two brave demi-humans to find the evil one, issue a divine challenge, and defeat him in fair combat before all. If they fail, Abdiel was certain that he would be slain and one of his subordinates, if they survived, would have to use the scroll on him anyway, so he would be happy to use it on their friend if they would defeat the assassin for him.

The first task would be to find him. All Abdiel could provide by way of description was that the assassin would be from the west, that he would bear a vicious scar, and that he would speak not a word. He also explained that the challenge must be public so that the glory of Heironeous would shine upon them and assure his champion's victory. So, they searched the marketplace, the inn, the smithy, the stables, and the various merchantile establishments in the Keep unsuccessfully until finally arriving at the tavern.

As their eyes adjusted to the dimmer lighting, they noted several off-duty soldiers of the Keep, a few common patrons, and a darkly cloaked individual eating a bowl of soup in a corner booth. Being the only Baklunish individual they had not stopped to question among the many in the Keep that day, they approached his booth, introduced themselves, and asked him his business in the Keep. The cloaked figure ignored them. Irked, Tumak stepped forward and pulled the bowl away from the eating man. Before depositing the bowl and its contents anywhere else, he froze in place as he felt a piercing pressure between his legs. Carefully stealing a glance downward he noted that the cloaked man's arm ended in a pointy dagger which was pressing firmly upward into his crotch. Changing his mind, the dwarf returned the bowl to its proper place and took a slow step back.

The silent man was not cooperative, however, and increased the pressure exerted with the blade instead of lessening it and Tumak felt a trickle of blood run down his leg from a very delicate portion of his body in that region. As he did, he cocked his head enough that Tumak caught sight of an old tear on his throat that had been hidden by the cloak. Infuriated, the stocky Fighter called for the attention of the room and declared the cloaked figure to be an assassin sent from the west to murder the righteous and beloved priest of Heironeous, Abdiel. He then issued a public challenge to be attended in half an hour before the chapel itself. The cloaked man nodded his acceptance while continuing to enjoy his soup and an off-duty Keep sergeant verified that the challenge was legal, but that the man had committed no crime anyone was aware of, so he couldn't just be arrested on the spot.

Tumak Nobeard

To be continued...

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so it is that coincidence once again saves Ynohtna Noswal! Shocked

Well, this time, anyway! Wink

Cleric of Vatun to the Cleric of Farlangh: "I rise . . . you fall!" Evil Grin

I knew an employee of TPK Games would find a way to introduce a Cleric of Vatun into the game! Evil Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not to mention the fact that you have poor, 4th level Tumak facing off against a 10th level assassin! Wink
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
Not to mention the fact that you have poor, 4th level Tumak facing off against a 10th level assassin! Wink

Not quite. Cool

Several of my players showed up and wanted to game while I was in the middle of typing up the bit about the assassin. Can you believe they are that enthusiastic about dying again? Evil Grin

Now, back to the story. Smile

SirXaris
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirXaris wrote:
Can you believe they are that enthusiastic about dying again?

Wow! A group of Sadists and Masochists at the same gaming table! Shocked Evil Grin

Mwahahahahahahahaha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: