JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Keep on the Borderlands - Complete
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play
    The Keep on the Borderlands - Complete [ 1, 2  Next]
    GreySage

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:08 pm  

Mystic,

An arcane spellcaster may prove helpful, but most of these new characters are replacing dead characters, so with an average of four or five PCs at each session, they prefer to have an abundance of fighter-types.

They do have a second Cleric now, though, as they got tired of not being able to heal between battles without returning to the Keep. They don't like being attacked by wandering monsters every time they try to take a break out in the wild. Evil Grin

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:32 pm  

I understand. My point is . . . barricade = Burning Hands. Bar-b-qued Hobgoblin, or did anyone bring marshmallows? Evil Grin

Besides, as we both know, all 1st level Magic Users need to be protected. But if you don't start with a 1st level Magic User, how will you get a 20th level Invoker? Which would be far more deadly than 200 hobgoblins. Wink

Must think of the future. Evil Grin

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:04 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    I understand. My point is . . . barricade = Burning Hands. Bar-b-qued Hobgoblin, or did anyone bring marshmallows? Evil Grin

Besides, as we both know, all 1st level Magic Users need to be protected. But if you don't start with a 1st level Magic User, how will you get a 20th level Invoker? Which would be far more deadly than 200 hobgoblins. Wink

Must think of the future. Evil Grin

Says the magic using Mystic. Surprised

At any level a mage is only as good as his coverage. I had a player who's 14th level mage was slain by a 1/2 HD kobold. Shocked

Fire power is only useful, if you get a chance to use it.

One of the reasons a cleric is more valuable to a party then a wizard IMO.

With that said a wizard with fire power or summoning can be trouble for anyone put up against them.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:00 pm  

Obviously your kobold didn't kill Mordenkanien or Rary. Razz

And neither of them is that much higher than 20th level.

Stone Skin, Globe of Invulnerability (I can shoot out, you can't shoot in), etc.

I repeat . . . Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:05 pm  

Orcs, schmorks

Participating PCs:
    Ash - half-elven Fighter;
    Zeke - elven Ranger;
    Thane (Thizzle) - human Cleric.

These three worthies decided to have a go at another cave while the rest of the party rested at the Keep. They chose a cave midway up the northern slope of the ravine nearest to its eastern terminus. Finding no traps at the entrance, they snuck forward to a T intersection. It's far wall was covered with niches carved into it filled with skulls and decapitated heads of myriad human, demi-human, and humanoids in various stages of decay. As they peered around the corners listening to the orcish voices coming from both directions, Zeke noticed that one of the orc heads on the wall was replaced by a goblin head. Figuring that they had been spotted, they charged the guards in the eastern passage.

As this battle began, another guard room emptied and those orcs poured out to hit the party from behind. Trapped in that small room, the adventurers fought bravely and intelligently and dead orcish bodies began to pile up. More arrived from the common room, but as they also fell to the blades of the heroes, the orcish leaders halted the flow of reinforcements and had them form a barricade of tables in the banquet room. The adventurers watched the last of the defenders retreat back to the banquet area and stopped, catching their breath and taking stock of the situation.

They weren't about to try to assault another barricade, so they opted to try another trick. Thane advanced down the hallway under cover of his tower shield while Zeke and Ash traded missile fire with the orcs. When Thane reached the edge of the room, he traced divine marks in several spots on the floor. While doing this, he was amused at the fruitless attempts by the orcs to hit him crouched behind his wall. He wasn't even peeking his head over the top, though he felt the impact of several missiles. Completing his work, he withdrew back around a corner with his companions. There, they pointed out that several of those missiles were burning and that his tower shield was in danger of going up in flames. Evil Grin

While Thane broke the arrows off 300-style, Zeke answered a challenge from the orc chieftain to meet him in single combat. Both were wary and Zeke refused to meet in the center of the banquet area - in front of all the orcs and their bows. So, the orc chieftan suggested a meeting in a northern passage. This, Zeke accepted and met him for a fight. As the chieftain charged, Zeke attempted to confuse him with ventriliquism, but the orc was not distracted. The clash was short and brutal. Zeke dealt the evil creature a vicious cut to the gut with his magical scimitar, but the orc returned the gift with a powerful two-handed chop to the shoulder from his greataxe. Knowing that he could not survive another such blow, Zeke called for help from his friends. At this, the orc summoned his warriors and they poured over the barricade and came to his aid.

Once the orcs were bereft of their cover, the open battle turned against them. The prong of the assault sent to surround the heroes faltered as it ran afoul of the runes Thane had inscribed into the floor in that passageway. Several were felled by that deadly magic and the rest shied from the advance and chose to follow their brethren to the north. The chieftain had been hurt as badly as had Zeke and withdrew behind his fellows to be healed by the tribe's shaman. Seeing that he was losing too many warriors, he called for a withdrawal. The orcs retreated past the barricade which they now lacked sufficient numbers to effectively man and up a sloping passageway. At the top, they manned their final defensive preparations. The party members caught up to the last two retreating orcs as they entered the sloping passageway, but could only watch as the orcs tipped two huge barrels of oil down it from the top. Ash and Zeke jumped back and to the sides as the oil cascaded down and formed a pool at the base of the slope, slowly spreading in the banquet room. Deducing that they would have a slow, difficult time making their way up the greased, sloped tunnel under fire from orcs around the corners, especially if those orcs were to throw a lit torch on it, they considered their options. And, yes, they could see the flicker of torchlight down the hall to one side at the top of the slope.

Zeke pulled a firebrand from the hearth (which the orcs had used to light the arrows they shot into Thane's tower shield) and threw it into the oil. As the tunnel erupted into flame and filled with smoke, Ash took the opportunity to explore the common sleeping room to the west of the banquet area. Finding nothing of interest, the group advanced through the smoke when the flames died down. They heard a door slam to the west as they reached the T intersection at the top of the slope, but could only advance by blindly feeling their way along the wall because the entire hallway was filled with smoke.

They discovered two rooms they guessed were used by the shaman and the chief, respectively, but found no orcs. By quickly shutting the doors behind them upon entering those rooms, they were able to minimize the amount of smoke that billowed in with them. They quickly found a hidden closet behind a hanging tapestry, but didn't want to take too long examining their plunder. Their diligence in searching the room was rewarded when Zeke discovered a secret door. Behind this door, they found another room. Within, a table and two chairs stood in the center, two fine shields with evil-looking designs poorly painted on them hung on the south wall, a chest full of masterwork quality weapons sat in the northwest corner, and an overturned bucket perched upon a pile of coiled hemp rope in the southeast. Kicking over the bucket, Zeke disturbed a pair of sleeping giant centipedes which had to be killed when they tried to bite him.

Unable to find any more secret doors, they collected their various treasures, claimed the right ears of their vanquished foes, and made their way back to the keep for some recuperation. There, they were introduced to an extremely dark-skinned woman every bit as barbaric-looking as the two halflings she claimed to have mentored. It was her desire to join the group in its adventures. Her name was Clamidi'a, but she told them she preferred to be called Clami by her friends.

Clami

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:38 pm; edited 9 times in total
    Novice

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:03 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Poor Zeke! Sad

Are we sure Ash isn't an enemy agent? Confused

Mwahahahahahahaha!

Evil Grin

He actually dropped burg with the crossbow not Me. And it was Zeek not ash that tried fighting the chief
    GreySage

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:55 am  

Zekiel wrote:
    He actually dropped burg with the crossbow not Me. And it was Zeek not ash that tried fighting the chief

Welcome to the light, lurker! Cool

And, thanks for the corrections. Now get on over to the Welcome to Greyhawk forum and introduce yourself to the group. Smile

SirXaris
    GreySage

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 am  

Hot dog!

You mean I was right about Xaris' editing skills? Shocked

Will wonders never cease? Evil Grin

Welcome Zekiel! Now, does all this mean that -- in truth -- you're the "enemy agent?"

Mwahahahahahahahahaha!

Just kidding! I'm "mental" that way. Evil Grin

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:01 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Hot dog!

You mean I was right about Xaris' editing skills? Shocked

Will wonders never cease? Evil Grin

I do fine editing other people's work. Editing my own written work is a much more daunting task, however. Wink

And, the problem wasn't one of editing, but one of memory. I'm apparently getting old. Razz

SirXaris
    GreySage

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    I'm apparently getting old. Razz

Wow! That's really depressing. Because if you're "old," that means I can only be described as . . . decrepit! Shocked

Oh! The Horror! Evil Grin

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:48 pm  

Clami? Perspirerer, eh? Laughing

Did Thane cast "Sweet Air" in that hallway? How were those guys breathing in there? Evil

I know, I know . . . I'm a pain in the butt! Evil Grin

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:53 pm  

If the player is going to give his PCs names like that, he'd better be able to take some ribbing for it. Happy

SirXaris
    GreySage

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:27 pm  

Well, it's better than Clami the . . . Sweat-hog! Laughing

Can I create a halfling character for your game? I want to call him . . .

. . . Toe-jam! Laughing Laughing Laughing

How about a dwarf? I can call him . . .

. . . Nee-gerc Reacton!

Woo-hoo!

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:00 pm  

Nice addition to the thread SirXaris.

Hey it could be worse, Clami could have the ability to inflict Chlamydia on certain enemies, or personal friends. Wink

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:18 pm  

I'm going to get this first part of the next battle typed before I forget what happened, though they are not finished with this portion of the Caves yet.

Those little bastards won't stand and fight!

Participating PCs:
    Zeke - elven Ranger;
    Thane (Thizzle) - human Cleric (Zagyg);
    Andoril Shieldheart - human Ranger;
    Blump - gnome Cleric (Garl Glittergold).

This group was ready to take on anything now that they were setting off to the Caves of Chaos with not just one, but two(!) Clerics. "Hi ho! Hi ho!" whistled Blump as he bounced along on the back of his massive riding dog. Ash's two war dogs ranged ahead with him as he scouted in advance of the others. He had been reluctant to bring them on the adventure considering the fatality rate of the others, but he was convinced by the rest of the group that that was exactly what the dogs were for - to die in place of party members.

Having no luck discovering how the orc leaders had evaded them, they opted to explore the next closest cave on the north side of the ravine. Approaching carefully, Zekiel nodded the 'all clear' - that no traps were set in the opening. Zeke moved into the cave mouth, noting that it diverged in a typical 'T' intersection only 20 or 30 feet in, while the rest of the group moved up to the entrance. Just then, they were assaulted by more than a dozen small javelins from the forested ravine above the mouth of the cave. Climbing the ravine at this point proved difficult, but Andoril and Ash made the effort on opposite sides of the entrance. Blump and Thane, however, had a daring idea for how to more quickly attain the heights. Blump was to jump from the back of his riding dog onto Thane's cupped hands. From there, Thane would lift Blump and aid his jump to the top of the cave mouth.

Epic fail. Blump slipped and landed on his back on the ground while Thane was kicked in the teeth. Taking hits from the irritating cloud of miniature javelins, Thane and Blump rolled into the cave mouth to be out of the line of fire, while Andoril and Ash continued their climb up the steep, rocky slope. Meanwhile, Zeke noted a crack in the floor just in time to avoid stepping on what he suspected was a covered pit trap. He also alerted a fistful of guards in an alcove across the pit. He had encountered kobolds once or twice before in the forest and recognized their puny, scaly hides and could even understand their high-pitched, yipping version of the draconic tongue. What he didn't appreciate was the fact that they pelted him with their javelins without coming within reach. Outside, Ash and Andoril engaged several kobolds that were on the ground, but others were up in the trees hefting handfuls of javelins and throwing them. Fortunately for the heroes, the little lizards did more damage to their fellows engaged in hand-to-hand combat with the adventurers than they did to their targets. They also proved to be quite inefficient in close combat, so the fight on the ground was going in the demi-humans' favor.

Not so tough, right?

Blump rode out to assist Ash with the majority of the ground-based kobolds and Andoril switched places to run inside to help Zeke. As Thane tried to help Zeke by charging the kobolds pelting him with missiles, Zeke called a warning that the portion of the floor in front of him was trapped (he'd picked up one of the javelins and thrown it at the floor where it stuck), but wasn't sure about the rest of it. Thane successfully detected the rest of the pit trap by stepping on it and plunging ten feet to the bottom. He suffered only minor damage, but was stuck. He thought he might jump ten feet successfully, but his armor and tower shield weighed him down too much for the effort. Instead, he backed into a corner opposite the javelin-throwing kobolds, crouched down, and pulled his tower shield up over himself.

Blump and Ash continued to battle the kobold ambushers outside until all those on the ground were vanquished. Blump, having only a sling to attack them with, headed back inside. Since the kobolds were only 15 feet up in the trees, Ash pulled out his halberd and began poking them as they tried to make a pincushion of him. After killing a couple, the others in reach tried to climb a bit higher. Some succeeded, some failed. One failed spectacularly and fell to his death - right onto the tip of Ash's polearm.

Back inside, Zeke acrobatically hurtled the pit and came up into the tips of several javelins, but the kobolds were not prepared for such an advance and weren't nearly as proficient with their weapons up close as they were from a distance. They backed off as quickly as possible and continued to pelt him with their darts, but he advanced just as quickly and cut most of them down with a few swings of his holy scimitar. One of the scaly little beasts proved unbelievably lucky, however, and Zeke spent several rounds fruitlessly hacking at him. During this time, a host of the creatures advanced from the eastern passageway and began throwing their javelins.

Hmmm...

Andoril had noted most of what had gone before inside and chose to immulate Zeke by jumping around the corner of the pit into the west passage where he saw a horde of dire rats advancing. Perhaps he feared they would drop into the pit to eat Thane. If he is eaten himself, we may never know. However, with his back to the pit and his shoulder to the wall of the tunnel, he has managed to cut down a few of them while only taking minor damage from their weak bites. He is aware that he is risking disease or poison with each bite, however, as it burns a bit more than such a cut normally should. Blump raced in upon his mastiff and pulled a silken rope from his backpack. Tying it to the military saddle on the dog's back, he dismounted and tossed it to Thane. Working together, Blump and the dog pulled Thane out of the pit. At that point, Blump had to take a piss, so he headed back to the keep. Razz

The javelins were doing enough damage (en masse) to warrant concern and Zeke was simply unable to finish off the last kobold guard he had cornered in the alcove. Instead, he moved to attack the mass that was throwing javelins at him, counting on the kobold guard's inability to hurt him, even from a flanking position. Thane decided to call on the magical aid his god (the Mad Archmage) had bestowed upon him that day. He cast Obscuring Mist upon the mass of kobolds, but its radius covered all the heroes as well. Zeke heard retreat called from the back of the mass and struck down several of the cowardly creatures as they tried to run right past him.

And, this is where we leave off, awaiting the next session. The kobolds, though individually weak, have a few surprises in store for intruders. Though Ash was brave enough to bring the war dogs, they remained just inside the mouth of the cave after taking serious amounts of damage from the initial ambush. They couldn't attack the kobolds in the trees, nor could they safely cross the pit trap and another hit on either may have killed them. So, it remains to be seen if they will contribute to the assault on the kobold caves at all.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:35 pm; edited 8 times in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:21 pm  

Poor War Dog's.

Look's like the party fared well against the kobold onslaught. I wish them luck on their assault on the kobolds round two.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:26 am  

They've learned to make very good use of the 'five foot step' in order to get the flanking bonus to attack and to avoid giving it to the enemy. They have also focused heavily on defensive armament, so most of them have AC's over 20. Third, they used the rest of their collected treasure to add the 'Holy' quality to Zeke's +1 magical scimitar, so it does an additional 2d6 points of damage vs. any evil target it hits. Thus, the party has begun to play more aggressively, though carefully, and keep wiping out the opposition.

I have, however, come up with a few plans for the upcoming opponents that will give the PCs more of a challenge. Look up Sting Chucks and Pilum for a sneak preview of what to expect. Evil Grin

SirXaris
    GreySage

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 pm  

Kobolds Were Never That Tough! or What do you mean, you Pathfinderized the Kobolds?

Participating PCs:
    Zeke - elven Ranger;
    Thane (Thizzle) - human Cleric (Zagyg);
    Andoril Shieldheart - human Ranger;
    Blump - gnome Cleric (Garl Glittergold);
    Tratumal - human Monk.

Tratumal

Tonight, the guys came together ready to finish off the kobold lair. I warned them that I'd taken the time to update the little pests to their Pathfinder stats, but how tough can you make a kobold of any edition? Evil Grin

The party was split into several different small groups. Blump and Tratumal were racing up to the cave entrance from the outside. Andoril was to the west of the pit battling a swarm of dire rats. Zeke was carefully making his way back west through the Obscuring Mist in the opposite direction of the retreating kobolds. South of the pit with Andoril's war dogs, Ash worked to help Thane out of the pit.

As the battle began again, Andoril found himself actually swarmed by the dire rats and suffered several diseased bites as he hacked and slashed the creatures to bloody bits. Ash successfully pulled Thane from the pit, but Blump decided that Tratumal could handle the three kobolds remaining in the trees above the cave entrance and charged into the tunnel. Tratumal returned crossbow fire for the javelins the kobolds rained down upon him and slowly cut their numbers. Blump couldn't see far into the cave because of the misty spell, but could hear the battle, so charged fearlessly (recklessly) straight past Ash and Thane and into the pit. Blump and his riding dog took minor damage from the fall, but were not so lucky when Andoril joined them.

Andoril decided that the automatic damage he was suffering from the swarm of dire rats covering his body wasn't conducive to his own victory, so tried to step back around the corner, over the pit, to the relative safety of the southern entrance tunnel. Unfortunately, the pile of rats, the near blindness, and the battle were sufficient distractions to cause him to lose his footing and tumble into the pit on top of Blump. Andoril was knocked unconscious, bleeding to death, and the rats turned upon Blump and his dog. Ash safely jumped the pit to the eastern tunnel, but Thane failed and joined the party in the pit. Again.

Zeke opted to try to finish off the lone kobold that had been trapped in the guard alcove, but still couldn't beat its defenses. Ash gave him a hand, but together they couldn't beat the bugger. Thane, Blump and Blump's dog took a few rounds to finish off the rats in the pit and Blump healed Andoril to get him on his feat again. The remaining rats crossed the corner to attack Andoril's dog. Well, most of them crossed successfully. A couple fell into the pit to join that battle. Andoril threw a rope with a grappling hook attached up into the alcove hoping to attach it to something. After a couple of tries, he snagged something and began to climb. Unfortunately, the guard table wasn't securely attached to the floor and Andoril fell back into the pit. Ash helped Thane and Andoril out, but Blump didn't want to leave his dog at the bottom of the pit. While Andoril and his dogs battled the remaining rats and Zeke scouted down the eastern hall after the retreating kobolds, Tratumal gave up on killing the last kobold in the tree and ran in to help in the larger battle. Blump eventually wrapped the rope around his dog and held on while Andoril and Ash pulled it out. As Ash pulled the rope, he backed toward the cave entrance, where he was attacked by the lone kobold who had crept down the tree after Tratumal. Ash had to run out of the cave and chase him up the ravine, but caught him and cut off his head to bring back to show Tratumal. This, he threw into the pit where it bounced off of Blump's helmet to naught but irritating effect.

Suddenly, Tratumal and Blump realized that their favorite dancer was performing at the tavern this evening and excused themselves from the engagement. The kobolds seemed to be on the run, the rats were all dead, and the party seemed to have things well in hand.

Thane, Ash, and Andoril, cautiously crossed the pit and made their way down the eastern passageway to join Zekiel. Ash heard the noise of a door opening and closing as they passed the guard alcove and moved to investigate. The other two continued on. As his Obscuring Mist spell dissipated, Thane cast a Light spell down the long hallway before them and noted an intersection that headed north and west. A mass of kobolds retreated a bit before the light, then turned and began pelting them with missiles. As the three charged, they were hit by more javelins from the northern passageway when they passed by it. They also noted a spellcaster among those to the north as a magical ray zipped past Thane's head. It was a simple task to avoid a javelin or two, but dozens of them at once was not so easy. Additionally, the kobolds had had time to break into their supply of special javelins; those with barbed heads that did slightly less damage, but stuck into the victim and caused more damage when ripped out. They were also covered with a mildly poisonous sap that caused the wound to burn for additional damage. They also tried throwing some spongestone bullets coated in oil and set on fire. The flaming missiles caused as much damage to the kobolds as they did to the invading PCs, so they were quickly abandoned. The sap-covered javelins, however, proved quite effective when delivered in bulk.

The group to the north included the kobold Chieftain, his sorcerer, and his bodyguards. Though the rest of the kobold tribe had mostly green scales, the scales of these exceptional members were mainly black. These black-scaled kobolds pelted the PCs with iron-tipped javelins that were drawn to their metal armor. This didn't bother Zeke any as he wore non-metallic armor, but it negated much of the extra protection worn by Thane. They also chucked some heads with the skulls emptied out and refilled with stinging, biting insects at the heroes. None of these hit their targets, but they exploded when they hit the ground around the PCs and bugs bit into their flesh. This didn't prove a major problem until Thane stood next to several swarms too long and they moved to attack him. Five swarms of these vicious pests infested his armor and spent two whole rounds biting and stinging him before he was able to rid himself of their spent carcasses.

Zeke and Thane, together, cut down a couple of the bodyguards with scimitar and warhammer, but the chieftain called for an ambush. Recognizing the words, the two warriors backed up and avoided being surrounded as a dozen kobolds poured out of a small secret door in the wall. Zeke cut down four of the lizards as they attempted to emerge and Thane smashed another, but the flood continued and ten were left standing. The secret door slammed shut from within and the black-scaled kobolds disappeared around a corner eastward at another T intersection north of the current battle.

As Zeke and Thane battled this new group, Andoril went back to see if Ash needed help. Ash had found a small secret door and tripped a couple of traps protecting it, but bravely crawled into the darkened tunnel anyway. As Andoril was about to re-enter the magical mist, which Thane had re-cast to obstruct the mass of kobold javelineers down the eastern hallway, another secret door opened and a group of kobolds emerged to assault him. While he was thus occupied, this group was followed by the black-scaled leaders who turned east to surround Zeke and Thane.

Zeke and Thane wisely turned to face the more dangerous group and advanced on them. These kobolds proved able to survive a hit by the heroes, so weren't so easily dropped. Never-the-less, two were laid low before the chieftain tripped Thane with his glass-encrusted whip - the same whip that had slashed Ash in the face the round before. The others continued to pester them with barbed, sap-covered javelins from behind, but they killed two more of the guards and Zeke managed to reach the sorcerer and kill him before he could escape to the east. The chieftain, however, did manage to run past the prone Thane. Zeke chased after him and caught the whip around a leg. Fortunately for him, his mass and momentum was too much for the chieftain to affect and he had the whip ripped from his hand. Zeke caught him, but the horde waiting at the edge of the light spell rushed to his defense. The chieftain escaped through the charging throng and into another secret door in the north wall of the passageway.

As Ash groped his way along the miniature secret passageway he had discovered, Andoril joined Zeke and Thane. Zeke, however, decided he'd had enough of the secret door ambushes and explored the one from which the kobold leaders had emerged. Though Zeke avoided traps similar to the ones Ash had failed to detect in his secret passage, neither of them could find the doors they knew must exist at the end. They were both feeling for them in the pitch black. Meanwhile, the kobolds kept withdrawing a few feet to throw their javelins while Thane and Andoril advanced to attack them each round. During this part of the battle, Thane channeled positive energy a couple of times to heal himself and his companions. (Unknown to them, he also healed several of the fallen, but not yet dead, black-scaled kobolds, who continued to lay motionless, since standing up next to the deadly tall folk would have proved disastrous.) Thane suffered a rash of hits by those javelins and so he and Andoril chose to retreat. Unfortunately, Thane was hit by another round of barbed missiles and fell nearly dead. Zeke emerged from his tunnel to see Andoril run past and Thane drop to the ground spilling his life's blood. Advancing kobolds were right on his heels, so Zeke joined Andoril and finally Ash. The three of them crossed the pit, called the dogs, and limped home to the Keep, praying that they encountered no hostiles on the way.

Fortunately for them, the kobolds halted at the edge of the mist long enough for them to escape free and clear. Thane was lost and Zeke was incensed that kobolds had proven so tough. Life just wasn't fair any more! Pathfinder is, obviously, a cheater DM's rule system of choice. Evil

I tried to cheer him up by pointing out that they had managed to kill 40 regular kobolds, most of the leadership, and 18 dire rats, all for the price of a single PC, but that didn't seem to help. Razz

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:52 pm; edited 13 times in total
    GreySage

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:36 pm  

Just One Kiss. I Promise!

Participating PCs:
    Bertha - human female Rogue;
    Lord Andoril Shieldheart - human Ranger;
    Sara Lyons - human female Paladin.

Bertha

At the Keep, Andoril and Sara made the acquaintance of a rather attractive female rogue who was game to join them on an adventure. Bertha and her two new friends decided to explore the woods for a bit while they waited for more of their squad members to recuperate.

Wandering the woods north of the Keep with Andoril's two war dogs and Sara's warhorse, they battled giant spiders, gnolls, and bugbears. Andoril was able to use his skills as a Ranger to convince a pack of wolves not to attack their group. They spent a couple of nights resting with a family in their steading within the woods where they helped with chores in exchange for meals and a bed.

The main entertainment, however, came when they encountered a dryad named Duebidale who put Andoril to sleep, charmed the cute Bertha, and suggested she slip away with her.

Sara tried to tackle bertha to prevent her from going with the irresistible nymph, but was unsuccessful in her attempt. Unable to find her location, she and Andoril bedded down for the night in the woods. Just as Sara was falling asleep, Andoril was addressed by an elven voice from the darkness. The elf proved to be the leader of a patrol from the wood elven kingdom to the south. They answered the party's questions about dryads and told them that the only way to get her to release their friend before she was tired of their daliance was to offer her something she considered of greater value. A magical bow or staff would likely do the trick as would items of magical protection other than armor and shields. Not having any such items to offer, they asked for more suggestions. The elf told them that jewelry or gems might be accepted, though a dryad was unlikely to be interested in coins.

The elves volunteered to help the party contact her in the morning, but couldn't stay beyond that. This they did and the conversation ended with the party agreeing to bring her a platinum necklace with emeralds. She would meet them when they returned to this part of the woods. Well, Sara and Andoril had no such item of jewelry, but remembered seeing such an item for sale in the bank at the Keep. So, they headed back to the Keep and managed to find such an item for sale, though the cheapest piece cost 640 gp. Their 5% guild membership discount reduced the cost somewhat, but it still seriously drained their cash reserves. It did serve its purpose, however, as the dryad was very happy with the platinum necklace with emeralds. Bertha was returned none the worse for wear with a whispered invitation to visit again at her earliest opportunity. Wink

End of this short side trek.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:06 pm; edited 8 times in total
    GreySage

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:03 pm  

T!... P!... K!

Participating PCs:
    Bertha - human female Rogue;
    Lord Andoril Shieldheart - human Ranger;
    Sara Lyons - human female Paladin
    Cray Zies Tever - elven Sorcerer (new player);
    Tratumal - human Monk;
    Magellan - human Barbarian.

Cray

Magellan

Tratumal and two new friends, Cray, an elven Sorcerer, and Magellan, a human Barbarian, joined these three at this point and they decided to return to the Caves of Chaos. Against Andoril's advice, they chose to return to the kobold cave to exact revenge for their fallen comrade. They noted a pile of brush stacked above the cave mouth, but detected no trap or ambush, so sent one of Andoril's war dogs in to scout. The dog tripped a wire that sent a weighted net crashing down from the ceiling where it had been secured. Fortunately, the dog jumped clear without harm or entanglement. The party followed the dog in and they quickly came under fire from javelins at the T intersection just 30 feet from the entrance. Only Andoril had been part of the previous assault on this tunnel system and stopped before the newly covered pit trap. His warning went unheeded, however as Magellan charged. The Barbarian fell into the pit, but the others stopped. A short battle ensued before the others managed to jump the corner and chase the kobolds away down the dark, eastern tunnel.

Andoril had ordered his two dogs back outside the cave with Sara's horse and Sara was the last into the tunnel. As the kobolds retreated, they pulled a rope that ran along the ceiling and dropped the brush pile above the entrance. It formed a gate of tightly interlocking branches and brambles that blocked the light, pitching the entire tunnel into darkness. Sara tried to lift it, but couldn't do so. Cray set it alight with a Spark cantrip and it began to burn. Andoril lit a torch and crossed the pit to explore the western passageway while Tratumal lit another torch and moved east. In the guard alcove, Tratumal moved past a low table with a couple benches (noting some 5 foot, 2x12 inch planks underneath) to check the back wall for the secret door he had been told was there. Unable to find it, he and Cray headed east after the retreating kobolds.

Outside, Sara hacked at the wooden grate with her sword, but found it a strong blockade. To the west, Andoril came upon a room half full of refuse teeming with a swarm of normal-sized rats. Seeing no exits and not willing to deal with either of those disgusting issues, he headed back to the intersection. Bertha tossed a rope to Magellan and helped him climb out of the pit, while Cray set Tratumal's crossbow bolt afire with another Spark cantrip and watched as it flew down the hallway, bounced off a wall, and landed at the feet of a sheild wall of kobolds near the next bend. He followed this with Shocking Shield upon himself and chased after the kobolds. Tratumal accompanied him into the fray, but the kobolds withdrew before them while continuing to hurl their barbed, sap-covered javelins.

At this point, I must appologize because I don't remember the exact sequence of events. Too much happened for me to recreate it all. There is too much. Let me sum up. Razz

The party found itself isolated and surrounded, again. Kobolds were popping out of secret doors that led to tunnels only three feet wide by three feet tall, which required the PCs to crawl to traverse in pursuit. Every time the PCs would advance into melee range of the line of kobold javelineers, that line would step back and hurl another round of javelins. Though most of the kobolds had green scales tinged with a bit of black, some black kobolds appeared with tinges of green in their scales. These proved tougher nuts to crack as they wore razor tips on their tails and proved more efficient at using them in close combat than had their green-scaled brethren. Additionally, these black-scaled kobolds wielded iron-tipped javelins that did little damage, but seemed to be unnaturally attracted to heroes wearing metal armor, so the hits they suffered mounted. Most annoyingly, these black kobolds possessed the dreaded stingchucks - sewn up heads full of biting, stinging insects. These bombs proved particularly troublesome because the insects, once inside a PC's armor, automatically did their damage, but misses erupted where they hit and the swarm would move, slowly, toward the nearest warm body (which was difficult to avoid in the narrow hallways).

Even more threatening were the two kobold leaders: the chieftain and the Sorcerer (who, unbeknownst to the heroes, had been healed by Thane's channeling of positive energy during the last assault). All of these black-scaled kobolds had draconic heritage (black, obviously), but these two had a bit more of it coursing their veins than did the others. The chieftain was an accomplished warrior, rivaling the PCs in skill. He wielded a glass-encrusted whip in one hand and a rapier in the other for close-in fighting. The Sorcerer was especially accomplished in the use of acidic spells. Both of them could breathe a stream of acid once per day. The chieftain would stand behind his line of bodyguards and trip PCs with his whip while the Sorcerer would likewise stand behind a hord of kobold javelineers and assault the PCs with spells. When the PCs decided enough was enough and made to retreat, everything fell apart.

Tratumal had forgotten about the planks he had noted in the guard alcove and had never mentioned their existance to anyone else. When they tried to cross the pit, Sara, the only PC with magical healing ability, was the first to fail the attempt and fall in. While under fire from two sides, the kobold chieftain, then the Sorcerer used their breath weapons for the first time. Two more PCs fell to the floor, but Sara was unable to get out of the pit to help them. Bertha didn't want to be pulled in herself, so instead, she carefully pushed and lowered each of the fallen (Cray and Magellan) into the pit for Sara to heal. Unfortunately, she was under fire from kobolds on the edge of the pit opposite Bertha. Some of the black-scaled kobolds on that western edge pulled out javelins with wide, flat, crescent-shaped heads and threw them at Bertha's and Andoril's legs. Both heroes were hit and tripped. Bertha managed to keep her feet, but Andoril went down next to the pit. Falling unconscious, he slipped over the edge and joined the other fish in the stoney barrel.

Bertha and Sara, being the only two adventurers left standing, were desperate. When Bertha fell with more javelins pincushioning her body, Sara dropped her weapon, threw her hands in the air, and surrendered. The kobold Sorcerer couldn't understand her words, but grabbed the hide armor being worn by one of his underlings, gave it a violent shake, and pointed down to Sara at the bottom of the pit. She got the hint and removed her armor. The kobolds lowered a rope, pulled her up until her arms and head rose above the lip of the pit, and tied her hands tightly. They proceeded to pull the rest of her body out of the pit and bind her almost mummy-like. Any others still breathing were coup-de-graced. Sara was tortured a bit and mocked for her failure until a Cleric of Iuz arrived, apparently summoned by the kobolds. He took her to another cave where she was subjected to even more torture and left, naked, in a cell with the promise that she would be sacrificed to the Old One soon.

The party had managed to kill four green-scaled kobolds and one black-scaled bodyguard on this assault. rolleyes

Next up? Make up new characters, rinse, and repeat. Evil Grin

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:58 pm; edited 10 times in total
    GreySage

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:50 pm  

Say it with me, everyone: T!... P!... K!

Participating PCs:
    Sir Andoroar Shieldheart - human Ranger (Andoril's younger brother - fifth, and last, heir to the ancestral Shieldheart lands in the Pomarj);
    Jordan - human female Sorcerer;
    Thoben - dwarven Barbarian;
    Petras - dwarven Barbarian (Thoben's twin);
    Mace - half-orc Barbarian;
    Norlamin - human Ranger;
    Lora - human female Cleric.

Before succombing to the ambuscade of the cunning kobolds, Lord Andoril Shieldheart had sent for his younger brother, Sir Andoroar Shieldheart to aid him and his companions in their efforts to eradicate the evil from the Caves of Chaos. Unfortunately, Sir Andoroar arrived at the keep on the very same evening that his brother's body was serving as the main ingredient of an adventurer stew concocted by the kobold cooking staff. Being informed of his brother's departure earlier that day, Sir Andoroar and the adventuring companions that had accompanied him decided to rest the night at the Keep and follow the Captain of the Watch's directions for finding the Caves in the morn in order to meet up with his sibling.

Arriving at the ravine harboring the Caves, they discovered all to be quiet. Having been informed which cave entrance the cleric Thane had perished in, they deduced that that was the cave that Sir Andoril would have first explored. Thus, they cautiously entered. In so doing, the brushy gate was dropped across the entrance sealing them into blackness, despite the late morning light outside. Following that, a weighted net dropped, though only Lora was trapped beneath it. This group wisely took to heart the advice given them by Zeke and Ash before departing and avoided triggering the pit trap at the T intersection, but traded missile fire with the kobold guards in the alcove. Thoben hopped the corner and charged the guards who spread out to avoid allowing him the opportunity to attack more than one with the wide swings of his greatsword. Mace hopped the pit westward and chased a single kobold down that had pulled the rope dropping the net on Lora. After dropping that kobold in turn, he saw nothing interesting in the room at the end (just refuse and rats), so, heeding the calls of his companions, headed back to the edge of the pit.

Norlamin helped Lora cut herself free of the heavy netting while the others joined Thoben on the east side of the pit. They killed a couple of the kobold guards, but the others retreated through the secret door or down the eastern tunnel before them. Pursuing those fleeing eastward, the party came to the infamous intersection with the connecting hallway running north. Suffering under a crossfire, they bulled through the hail of javelins and hit the eastern wall of javelineers hard. Sir Andoroar was first to assault the wall and beheaded the first kobold in line. As Mace and Norlamin backed him up, Andoroar hefted the severed head and charged the line again. This was too much for the depleted force of kobolds and they broke and ran through a secret door. At this time, Petras and Lora were surprised when a secret door opened beside them (just west of the infamous intersection) and a black-scaled kobold stuck its head out, opened its mouth, and breathed a stream of acid at them. Lora suffered serious damage from the acid, but Petras was hit right in the face and was nearly killed (rolled a 1 on his save, so suffered double damage). The kobold immediately disappeared back inside the secret door.

Mace chose to run over and open the secret door. Dropping to his hands and knees, he tried to stab the kobold within with his scizor. He was successful in blooding the beast, but elected not to follow it as it backed down the tunnel. It cast a spell at Mace, but he resisted its effects. It's giant centipede familiar tried to bite him from its hiding place at the juncture of the wall and floor, but the half-orc Barbarian was too canny to be caught unawares and avoided the bite that would have added the effects of one of its master's spells to the damage. As Mace watched the kobold disappear through another secret door at the end of the tunnel, he wisely chose to back out himself rather than crawl through in pursuit.

Instead, he ran through that infamous intersection turning north this time to assist Thoben against the javelineer wall therein. Most of the party had been hit by a barbed javelin or four, but Andoroar was being bitten and stung by the bugs released from a couple of the kobolds' vicious stingchucks. As Mace reached the line, so too did the kobold Sorcerer from another direction. Having used his spells up for the day, he relied now upon his Acid Splash cantrip. Unfortunately for the PCs, acid was this Sorcerer's speciality. The warriors managed to cut down all but a few of the kobolds between them and the Sorcerer, but those that had fled Andoroar's beheading wrath in the east, entered from another passageway to their Sorcerer's defense.

At the same time, the kobold chieftain and his two surviving bodyguards snuck down the passageway from the west and attacked Petras, Jordan, and Lora. Lora cast Murdering Command upon the Chieftain and successfully ordered him to attack his ally. This he did and dropped one of his bodyguards with a trip and stab from behind. Petras charged and attacked and was attacked in turn. Retreating before the two black-scaled kobolds, Lora tried to repeat her trick, but the canny kobold sneered and promised to deal with her, the only member of the party able to understand the kobold's tongue (due to her earlier casting of Comprehend Languages), and pressed the attack against Petras. Petras was felled by the chieftain, but Jordan felled the bodyguard with a casting of Sleep. Unfortunately, she also hit Norlamin with the spell and he succombed as well. Mace raced back to protect the two spellcasters and finished off the bodyguard with a coup de grace. He suffered a piercing stroke of the chieftain's rapier as payment for his bravado, then turned to face him directly. Trapped with his back to the wall between Mace and Lora, the chieftain stepped atop the unconscious Petras and, with a sneer at Mace, administered his own coup de grace to the helpless dwarf. Fortunately for Petras, the damage was as light as possible and he survived the stroke. Lora and Mace, however, were unsuccessful in their many attempts to cut the kobold chieftain down.

Meanwhile, Jordan cast Sleep again on the kobold javelineers down the hall with the kobold Socerer. They took a round to wake the three that had fallen, then advanced to pelt the adventurers with more barbed javelins. Andoroar had fallen, near death, from his many javelin wounds and the bites of the swarm of insects covering his body, Norlamin was magically asleep, and Petras and Thoben had also fallen unconscious and bleeding from a multitude of wounds. Jordan managed to wake Norlamin, but Mace chose to retreat. Trying to follow his lead, Lora was cut down by the chieftain. Norlamin passed Mace, but stopped to drop a plank across the pit to ease his escape. Jordan, seeing her companions flee or be cut down trying to pass by the chieftain, surrendered and was bound as securely as Sara had been the day before. Four of the kobolds stayed behind to bind Jordan and finish off the others with coup de graces, but the chieftain, Sorcerer, and three others chased after the fleeing Barbarian and Ranger.

Mace was in a hurry to save his own hide, so didn't wait for Norlamin to move aside, but pushed past him to cross the plank first. This proved a disastrous decision as his balance failed him and he plunged into the pit head first - right on top of a swarm of insects that had been released by an earlier miss-thrown stingchuck that landed in the pit. Norlamin raced across the plank and kicked it down into the pit to foil pursuit. He, reluctantly, stopped to throw a rope down to Mace. Catching up, the kobold pursuers assaulted Norlamin with javelins and Acid Splash while the chieftain wrapped his whip around Mace's neck. The powerful Barbarian was able to keep his grip on the rope and pull himself up, however. The two ran to the entrance and began hacking at it with their weapons. The kobolds threw another plank (third of four) across the pit and followed their quarry.

The two heroes (bravely running away) managed to cut a hole big enough to crawl through, but Mace was brought down by the attacks of the kobolds before he could make the attempt. Norlamin just made it through the hole with the kobolds on his heal. He cut the chieftain as he crawled through, but couldn't stop him. He ran with five kobolds (including the chieftain and the Sorcerer) at his back. They threw one round of javelins and a spell at him, but he kept going. He was out-distancing the shorter humanoids and had only the trip back to the Keep to worry about when their final volley, at long range, brought him down (to exactly zero hit points).

As there was no longer a battle raging and Norlamin wasn't bleeding to death, the kobolds elected to bind him as they had done Jordan and prepare him for the ministrations of their masters, the Clerics of the Old One, Lord Iuz.

And, thus ends the tragic story of the family Shieldheart...

This round, the party scored 11 normal kobolds and two bodyguards killed - better than the 5 normal and 4 bodyguards killed last time. The kobold tribe has, so far, accounted for 10 PCs slain and 3 captured.

Am I living up to my obligatory reputation as a writer for TPKGames, or not? Evil Grin

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:08 pm; edited 5 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:00 pm  

These are great fun to read, thanks for taking the time out to write this up & post...when kobolds are a significant threat, that is a killer campaign.

Has the party thought about heavy bombers, napalm, & tanks?
    GreySage

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:54 pm  

Thanks, jtylerk, for the appreciation.

No, they haven't tried to convince me to let them do anything that extreme yet, but they are doing everything they can to build super PCs. The newest PC came in with six ability scores ranging between 16 and 20 and two more feats than it was allowed. I am okay with them rolling (picking) their own ability scores (though I may have to begin nixing some of them) as I don't want to force them to play a character they aren't happy playing. Besides, that allows me to avoid feeling badly when I pull out all the stops and play their opponents to the hilt. Evil Grin

SirXaris
    GreySage

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:11 pm  

Are all the PCs dead now...or are you taking a brief rest due to carpal tunnel syndrome, SirXaris?

Awaiting the next installment,

Lanthorn
    GreySage

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:47 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Are all the PCs dead now...or are you taking a brief rest due to carpal tunnel syndrome, SirXaris?

Awaiting the next installment

You're right, I have been procrastinating, but it's because I can't remember everything that happened. It has been a busy two weeks leading up to and including Homecoming Week at the university so my player base was unavailable. We have begun again, however, so I'll get the narration caught up.

Surprisingly, you will find that, though more PCs have been killed or captured, they were finally able to defeat the last of the kobold tribe and chase the few survivors out of their caverns.

Sweet Victory!

Participating PCs:
    Zeke - Elven Ranger;
    Four or five of them. Will add when I can check with the players.

The kobolds were less deadly this time around as their numbers were seriously diminished. Despite that, the kobold chieftain (4th level Rogue), Sorcerer (3rd level), two surviving bodyguards (2nd level Fighters), and 16 surviving normal kobolds managed to kill two more of the PCs. Thus, at this point, the kobolds' current tally vs. the adventurers is 12 PCs killed and 3 captured. (The Iuzian Clerics will soon be getting quite a boon from their lord and master from such fine sacrifices. This calls for a special ceremony. Evil Grin )

The PCs did manage to kill the kobold Sorcerer, two bodyguards, and most of the normal kobolds. I remember Zeke chasing the sorcerer through some secret tunnels into the refuse room where he was assaulted by a swarm of normal rats summoned by the kobold Sorcerer. He beat them off ( Razz ) with a burning torch, killed a couple of kobolds in his way, and chased the Sorcerer to the pit, which it fell into while trying to hurdle it. The live PC in the pit at the time killed it before it could regain its feet. Only the chieftain and a few of his lesser minions escaped. However, since the party was so cautious searching for the fleeing kobolds, afraid to run into traps or ambushes, the surviving kobolds had time to collect their treasures and escape the caverns with them. (Note that such caution did prevent the PCs from running afoul of some nasty traps.) Who knows where the kobold chieftain led his small band of survivors, or what devious plots he devises for revenge against those pesky kids! Question

Well, they are all 2nd level by now, except Blump, the gnomish Cleric, who is 3rd. Tonight, only three were available, so they did some wandering around and role-playing at the Keep.

Participating PCs:
    Thordac - half-orc Ranger (replacement for Norlamin and the Shieldhearts - this player is going to stick with Rangers until one survives Cool );
    Tumak - dwarven Fighter;
    Blump - gnome Cleric.

Thordac

Blump and Tumak met at the tavern and there encountered the band of dwarves from clan Battle Royale. Krondall, the band's leader, was well disposed to his fellow dwarf and the gnome and they struck up a conversation. The party discovered that Krondall had met Tumak's brother a little while ago, but knew not his fate. They also learned that the dwarven band was still searching for the Caves of Chaos because that was where the Bone Breaker clan of orcs was believed to lair. They explained that their fellows had delivered the contracted weapons to the orcish clan, but had failed to return, with or without payment. Thus, it was assumed that the orcs had reneged on the agreement and Krondall's band was assigned the task of exacting vengence upon them. (Note: Clan Battle Royale is a LN clan from the Clatspurs specializing in weaponsmithing. They will contract with anyone, good, neutral, or evil. They always keep their contracted agreements and ruthlessly make examples of anyone who fails to keep their end of the bargain.)

Blump remembered the device rudely painted on one of the shields in the secret room in the orc caverns and recognized it as the Bone Breakers symbol, as described by Krondall. Thus, they contracted to lead the Battle Royale band to the Caves of Chaos and identify their cave. Krondall didn't want the PCs to join them, however, as he claimed it was a clan matter and the PCs weren't trained in proper battle techniques to join efficiently with them. So, they headed out as guides for the dozen members of the Battle Royale band.

After gathering the hung-over Thordac from his bed at the inn, the group traveled east from the Keep. Soon, they encountered a small band of mounted Tiger Nomads, fierce-looking Chakyik warriors. The single female in the group, though slight of build, seemed at least as threatening as the powerfully built males. Blump noted that they decorated their weapons and mounts with the pelts and other accoutrements of wolves. This, he deduced, indicated that they had successfully battled members of their cousin's clans, the Wolf Nomads, recently. As the dwarves didn't appear to be willing to step out of the way of the horses, these raiders circled warily just out of reach. A sly look back by the female was all the communication that passed between them.

Continuing along the road as it curved north, they spied a couple dozen mounted knights and men-at-arms approaching from that direction. As they drew nearer, they noted the banner of Sir Bluto ('Sans Pite' being added later), minor nobleman from Perrenland. They knew him only from his poor reputation, as offered by each and every inhabitant of the Keep that passed through the tavern, though Blump had encountered him once before. Such encounter had left Blump with an even more negative opinion of the haughty nobleman. The mounted group drew rein a dozen paces from the dwarves and the Ancient advanced to demand that the dwarves give up the road for his Lordship. Krondall, announced that he and his men were members of clan Battle Royale and servants of his Majesty, Stone Cold King Osten. Therefore, Sir Bluto must give way as Krondall's master outranked him. At this, the dwarves hefted shields and stepped shoulder-to-shoulder to block the road.

This caused Sir Bluto and his men to couch their lances and spread out in a double row blocking the road from their direction. Blump immediately attempted to persuade Krondall to give way as he knew the power of Sir Bluto and his men. He pointed out that Sir Bluto's group was mounted and outnumbered their own band by quite a few. Tumak supported Blump, but Krondall was unconvinced. Thordac watched from the trees to the north.

As the knights prepared to charge and the dwarves planted their feet to receive it, Blump and Tumak prepared to run. Blump made one last desparate attempt to calm the situation by pointing out to Krondall that battling Sir Bluto would not help him complete his assigned mission. This caused Krondall to reconsider and he offered to share the road by traveling single file. Sir Bluto accepted this with a sneer and a smirk and both parties moved past each other. It did not go smoothly, though, as the last half of the mounted men-at-arms suddenly jerked their horses' reins to the left and slammed their mounts' shoulders into the dwarves' shields, knocking several of them out of line and a few onto their arses.

Rord, the Battle Royale band's Cleric, laid his hand on Harn's arm as the second in command reached for his crossbow. Glaring daggers (or, rather, throwing axes) at the knights' backs, Harn and the others heeded Krondall's order to get back in line and continue the march as Rord noted the incident with Sir Bluto in his notebook.

They continued until they stood at the bottom of the ravine and pointed out the cave of the orc tribe that Blump and his previous companions had defeated. He explained that that tribe's shields had been decorated with a different design, but that a single shield on the wall of a secret room sported the design of the Bone Breakers clan. They explored that cave system, but found it deserted and the secret room cleaned out. They discovered that the cave next to this one also held orcs, so Krondall paid his guides their agreed upon price and told them to stay outside while he and his men went in to negotiate with what they suspected were the Bone Breakers. The PCs took up hidden positions north of the ravine where they had a good view of the visible caves. Krondall and his men entered and the PCs waited. After about half an hour, the sounds of battle erupted from within the cave Krondall's band had entered and before the PCs could rush down, the dwarves emerged carrying several of their members on their backs. Thordac noted that all 12 members of Krondall's band appeared to exit the cave. Several orcs emerged behind them, but stopped in the afternoon sunlight, content to hurl insults and rocks at the retreating dwarven backs.

The PCs watched the Battle Royale band retreat out of the ravine, then settled in to see what transpired in the waining sunlight of the late afternoon and evening. They saw ocassional gnoll hunters leave and return to one cave they had not yet explored. A few bugbears emerged from a thorny copse of trees, but they could not spy a cave through the dense thicket. From one cave issued nothing but rather large bats, but from the last cave came a human in evil-looking clerical vestments accompanied by six skeleton guards. This person entered all of the caves, one at a time, and emerged after about half an hour within each, including the bat cave. The group debated the wisdom of attacking him, but the fact that two of the three possessed no bludgeoning weapons decided the issue of battling a group of skeletons. Instead, they opted to return to the Keep and see if they could hire some mercenaries to buff their numbers.

Returning to the Keep via the road, Thordac kept to the edge of the forest. This was an unfortunate decision as it separated him from the others and made him an easy target for the four bugbears that ambushed him. Seeing their new companion cut down before they could react, Blump and his dwarven fellow, opted to run as fast as they could go to the safety of the Keep. Thordac, however, wasn't immediately killed. He chose to surrender without drawing a weapon. Surprised, the bugbears poked and prodded him attempting to get him to fight. They were terribly disappointed that their victim wasn't playing the game correctly. They knocked him down and he opted to play dead. At this, they trussed him up and carried him away to their lair. Perhaps he'd be more fun when he awoke. Evil

Blump and the dwarf raced to the mercenary encampment within the walls of the Keep and, in the middle of the night, shouted for someone to employ. They offered to pay well, but needed brave souls to head out immediately to rescue their companion. After much ado, they managed to convince a band of a dozen men to come with them. The terms were steep when the PCs admitted that they intended to hunt bugbears in the darkness. Thus, the PCs agreed to pay 200 pieces of gold up front (as it was likely the mercenaries wouldn't survive such a quest) for a week, or until their companion was rescued, whichever came first. There was only enough money left for each of the two PCs to buy themselves a morningstar as insurance against skeletons.

They immediately returned to the Caves and prepared to assault the cave of the bugbears.

Aside: Does anyone know if Sir Bluto Sans Pite (White Plume Mountain) has an official coat of arms? Canon or fan-created, I'd appreciate not making up something completely random.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:09 pm; edited 16 times in total
    GreySage

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:58 pm  

Deleted accidentally posted rough draft. Embarassed

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:00 pm  

Adventure Shorts

Participating PCs:
    Human Fighter;
    Half-Orc Ranger.

The Bugbear assault group is on hold. Instead, two PCs decided to scout out the gnoll cave. They successfully snuck into the entry cave and spied a group of four gnoll guards and two hyenas in the next room. Bravely, they chose to ambush this group. A battle ensued and the two retreated to the cave entrance. The gnoll chieftain arrived and issued a challenge, which the Fighter accepted. As the duel developed, the Fighter realized he was overmatched and the Ranger decided to give him a hand with a well-placed bow shot. This angered the watching gnolls and they charged the cheater and cut him down. Now, surrounded with the exit blocked, the Fighter had no option but to finish the duel. He lost. The gnolls, however, took both bleeding, but still living adventurers and gave them to the cook to tenderize for a feast in a few days.

Fortunately, for them, another pair of adventurers arrived.

Participating PCs:
    Zekiel - Elven Ranger;
    Human Rogue (Thief).

These two PCs were more stealthy and had the advantage of being able to administer Sneak Attacks against ambushed foes (ie. backstabbing, for you pre-3.x ed. players). They began in a manner similar to the previous two unsuccessful PCs, but they managed to drop the first two gnolls quickly and their skill level and magical equipment was of a better caliber, so they fared better against their opponents. The hyenas, and even the chieftain's dire hyena, proved no threat against their blades, but the chieftain (2nd level Ranger) and his two sons (1st level Fighters) were more of a concern. While Zeke battled the chieftain, his comrade distracted the sons and a few other gnoll warriors.

Zeke barely managed to defeat the chieftain (1 hit point left), but one of the sons ran over and cut him down immediately after. As the gnoll Fighter prepared to coup de grace Zekiel's unconscious form, the human Rogue dropped its brother. This caused that gnoll to charge him instead of finishing Zeke off. The human Rogue deftly tumbled between the bodies and blades of the last gnoll son and a few of his fellow warriors to come up at Zeke's side. There he drained a healing potion down Zeke's throat and stood his ground to prevent the gnolls from attacking him. Zeke managed to regain his feet, down another potion himself, and together, they defeated the remaining gnolls.

Collecting some magical armor from the chief, all the coin they could find in the gnoll caverns, and rescuing the barely conscious forms of the previous two adventureres, they made their way back to the Keep.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:20 pm  

SX, glad to see you are still running this 'old time' favorite module-campaign for us to read. Keep them coming. At some time, not sure when, I intend to add my own tales of (mis?)adventure...

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:25 pm  

Sir Xaris,

Nice job on the post. Besides silly ranger deserved to die. You don't interfere is a duel.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:44 pm  

The Minotaur's Maze

Participating PCs:
    Zekiel - elven Ranger;
    Tumak - dwarven Fighter;
    Thordac (previously referred to as 'Sir Somebodyorother') - half orc Ranger;
    Ash Ole - half-elven Fighter.

Zekiel, Thordac, and Ash stood at the entrance to a cave that seemed to be deserted except for the large bats they had previously seen exiting. After some discussion, Zeke decided to scout a short way into the tunnel before being followed by the others. The way was not worked stone, but natural cavern, though the floor was well-worn by countless footsteps. Quickly encountering a T intersection, Zeke turned left and advanced another few steps before feeling a dizziness assault his mental faculties. He struggled to fight it off, but felt that he was not succeeding, so turned to return to the entrance and his compatriots. He had either traveled farther into the tunnel than he remembered or the dizziness was messing with his senses because the entrance was not just around the corner he had turned. Continuing on, he stumbled a bit in the darkness until he drew his new dagger - a holy weapon infused by Abdiel with the magic of Heironeous. This weapon shed light as a torch, so Zeke made his way comfortably.

Back at the entrance, Ash and Thordac called for Zeke, but heard no response. They decided to follow him in, but succombed to the magical confusion in turn. They remained together, but also began wandering cluelessly through the tunnels seeking the exit. Thordac was not hindered much by the darkness, but Ash lit a torch to aid his sight. They were not prepared for the traps they ran into, but the traps' keeper was altogether worse.

Zeke traveled until he entered a medium-sized cavern with a high ceiling. He could just detect the movement of a dozen or so giant bats at the edge of his torchlight, but what caught his attention was the glint of gold near a skeleton wedged into a nook in one corner of the room. As he pondered the possibilities, the 'bats' swooped from their perches and attacked. Being the size of large cats, only 6 of the 13 could attack him at once, but a couple of them managed to land upon him, clutching at his armor with six hooked legs, and drive a terrifyingly long probiscus into his flesh. Though the thought was nauseating, the pain was minor. Unfortunately, the result was more threatening as they began to drain blood at an alarming rate.

Ash and Thordac were about to have a very bad day. Ash, in the lead, tripped a wire which dropped a weighted net from the ceiling. Ash managed to roll away from it, but the Ranger was caught. Worse, a spear fired from the wall behind them and hit Thordac in the back. The Ranger worked to quickly free himself from the net while Ash looked up from his prone position to see an evil-looking bull, horns and all, peering down upon him from the darkness.

Thinking quickly, Ash pulled a pouch full of gold coins from his belt and held it up as an offering, but the beast swung two battle axes (hand ax sized for the large creature) down upon him in response. The first severed Ash's hand at the wrist, but he still managed to dodge the swing of the second. Frantically, Thordac fought to free himself from entanglement while Ash swung, unsuccessfully, at the minotaur's groin with his morningstar. As the Ranger rolled free of the net, Ash tripped while trying to cross it. The minotaur chopped Ash again, dropped his second axe to free his other hand to grab the half-elf, slammed him against the wall of the tunnel and jammed his horns into the same wall on either side of Ash's head (Legend stlye Cool ). Satisfied that Ash had been knocked unconscious, he ignored the fleeing Ranger and took his victim back to his lair to save for later.

Zeke was slowly managing to slay the stirges, but they were draining him of his strength at an alarming rate. He was surprised to hear a shout and see the dwarf Tumak enter the cavern from another tunnel. Having been reared underground, the dwarf had resisted the effects of the dizzying magic and knew the way back to the entrance. Zeke shouted for him to lead the way and the two of them raced for it. Several of the stirges had satiated their thirst for blood on Zeke already, but the two that continued to harass him were slain as they emerged into the daylight.

Thordac ran without a sense of direction, knowing only that facing the minotaur meant certain death. He came to a room with two strange war dog-sized beetles with glowing sacks on their backs. They were apparently as interested in him and came forward with clacking mandibles. He was able to slay them without suffering injury, but he encountered three more of the insects in the next cavern he entered as well. These served up a cut or two before expiring to his blade, but he remained as lost as before. Unhelpfully, the minotaur arrived to make finding the entrance a moot point. Thordac fought bravely, as there was no retreat, and managed to draw the creature's blood, but he quickly fell to dual blades being swung by the powerful shoulders of the bull-headed giant. His unconscious form was dragged back to join that of Ash - to be eaten at the beast's leisure.

Fearing for their lives, and assuring each other that their comrades must surely be dead, Zeke and Tumak raced for the Keep. Zeke was ambushed by an owlbear, but the two warriors were more capable than they had been just a few months earlier and slew the beast before it could deal more damage than they could handle.

Next up: Clamidi'a makes her appearance. Razz

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:12 am; edited 5 times in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:02 am  

Sir Xaris,

Sounds like some of your PC's could use an name generator for Christmas.

Sir Somebodyorother? Talk about grasping at straws or stirges even! Wink

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 pm  

Argon, funny that you mention a 'name generator.' Historically, before I spawned kids of my own, I would flip through the telephone book for names! Wink Now I have a name book we (wife and I) have after negotiating names for our son and daughter. The kids are much older now, but I still have that book, and use it to name PCs and NPCs alike! Laughing

Too bad my wife didn't like the name Luke and Leia, but even though I tried to use Jedi mind tricks on her, she is too strong-willed. Razz

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:23 pm  

Nice, Lanthorn. Laughing

Argon, I think they just figure, 'Why bother? The PC is sure to die before I make it to the next level anyway.' Confused

Razz

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:51 pm  

Years ago Eddie Murphy had a skit where he stated that Chinese name their children by throwing them down the stairs. Whatever sound they make is their name. Chin Oui-Yu.

Wait I think that will be a monk in Sir Xaris game soon. Laughing

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:35 pm  

Sorry for the long dry spell fellas. It is difficult for me to remember all that happened, but I'll try to mention the main events to get caught up in the campaign.

The Bone Breakers bones are broken

Participating PCs
    Blump Butter- gnome cleric 3rd;
    Tumak Copperbeard - dwarf fighter 2nd;
    Ynohtna Noswal - half orc ranger 2nd;
    Zeke - elf rogue 2nd.

The four adventurers who decided to brave the caves next elected to forego challenging the minotaur again and entered the lair of the Bone Breakers tribe of orcs instead. They remembered the trip wire which would drop a weighted net on them in the four way intersection until the fight began. As orcs arrived to the battle from the east and west, throwing spears and charging with battleaxes, Tumak forgot the trip wire in his haste to participate and dropped the net upon himself. The others managed to dodge the falling trap, but the poor dwarf became so entangled that he spent the vast majority of the battle trying to free himself.

After a few rounds of battle, the remaining orc chieftain, D to da Ork, arrived from the northern passage with his bodyguard and the two tribal shamans. His magical, two-handed throwing maul (+1 Throwing, Returning earthbreaker) pounded the PCs who thought they had an advantage at range, so two of them chose to charge him and the bodyguard instead of trading missile fire with them.

D to da Ork

The orcish shaman from the Other clan

The Bone Breakers shaman

As the battle raged, the shamans healed the chieftain of his wounds while Blump healed the party's warriors of theirs. As a result, it lasted long enough for the dwarf to finally escape the clutches of the net. At long last, both the bodyguard and D to da Ork were slain and only the shamans remained. They, however, were now free to blast the party with Burning Hands, Murderous Command, Sleep, and other such spells. Fortunately, the PCs survived the firey damage, overcame the magical compulsion to attack their allies, and the only one to fall victim to drowsiness was the caster's fellow shaman. Razz

Thus, the party successfully defeated the band of Bone Breakers which had driven the Battle Royale dwarves from their caves in shame. Back at the Keep, they were confronted by Krondall, Harn, and Rord, the leaders of the dwarven avenging team, who claimed that the Bone Breakers owed their clan 3,000 pieces of gold and that any loot claimed was the rightful property of the Battle Royale clan. In order to avoid making more enemies, the party offered the dwarves a suit of magical splintmail, a magical battleaxe, and a few potions they had taken from the dead orcs. This satisfied the dwarves and they parted on friendly terms with the party. The PCs were, however, decidedly neutral with respect to how friendly they wanted to regard a clan who would sell weapons to the servants of Iuz.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:01 pm; edited 5 times in total
    GreySage

Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:30 pm  

Participating PCs
    Tumak Copperbeard - dwarven Fighter
    Blump Butter - gnome Cleric;
    Clamidi'a Ole- female human (Touv) urban Barbarian, Ash Ole's half sister;
    Zekiel - elven Ranger;
    Ynohtna Noswal - half-orc Ranger.

Each of the PCs is now 3rd level. I decided to quit penalizing them so badly for dieing. I admit, it may be just a small bit my own fault. Evil Grin So, now those who survive, get a small xp bonus instead of a penalty going to those who die.

The Final Deed of Ash Ole

As Thordac fled down random passageways in fear for his life, the minotaur gazed into the eyes of the half elven warrior he had pinned by the neck to the tunnel wall. Studying his newest victim's smell and wondering why it had been foolish enough to enter his lair with only a single companion, it was startled a bit as Ash regained consciousness. Spying first the minotaur's horn piercing the cavern wall inches from his turned head, Ash straightened his neck as best he could in the minotaur's steely grip and stared straight into the beast's black eyes. Gasping for breath, he whispered the words, "I forgive you," and, straining against the clawed hand clenching his throat, he planted a kiss upon the bull-headed monster's steaming snout. And Ash Ole knew no more.

Stay together, for the gods' sake!

Having what they considered to be sufficient numbers and a satisfactory plan, the party decided it was time to deal with the minotaur again. They tied a roll of sturdy string to a dead tree outside the cave's entrance and entered together, all keeping one another close and within sight. They quickly succumbed to the magical confusion that caused them to lose their sense of direction, but felt confident they could always retrace their steps.

They encountered the cave of the stirges and suffered some painful stabs before killing or chasing them off. There, they discovered some small treasure on the skeletal body of an elf pressed back into a crevice. They found a couple of caverns with more live fire beetles as well, during their search. Disconcertingly, they discovered that they were crossing their own path frequently and even traveling down the same passageways they'd traveled before on ocassion. Getting back out by retracing their steps would be a lengthy process, at best.

Eventually, the minotaur, who had been tracking them for quite some time, decided to soften them up. He had cut their string and retied it randomly inside the cavern system so that any attempt to retrace their steps would end with them lost in the center of the labyrinth. When he hit them, he nearly killed his first victim. Finding the PCs so easily hurt, the minotaur decided to stay and fight instead of retreating to make more hit-and-run attacks.

Minotaur (6 HD, Ranger 4th, HP 114, AC 23, Two-weapon Fighting, Imp. Bullrush, Imp. Init., Imp. Critical [handaxe], Quick Bullrush, etc., Stealth +13, Perception +14) +1 Shadow Chainmail, +1 Human Bane handaxe, +1 Keen, Huntsman handaxe, plus a few potions and a lucern hammer for reaching across a pit, etc. Being large sized, his hand axes are actually battleaxe sized for medium PCs. Each round he got three attacks - one with each axe and a gore, all at +13 To Hit. Damage was devastating due to his 20 Strength (+5) and the magical qualities of his weapons.

The party battled furiously for many rounds. The gnome healed frontline fighters who fell back when they suffered too many hit points in damage and allowed freshly healed (from potions) PCs to take their place. The minotaur was able to fall back slowly as he fought as his size allowed him greater reach than the PCs. Despite this, the PCs eventually managed to outflank him in a tunnel intersection and the minotaur decided the advantage had turned against him. He turned to flee, but a couple of the PCs managed to stay close enough on his heels to shoot him in the back before he could turn too many corners. These missiles were just enough to bring the beast crashing down. Collecting the head as a souvenir and the penis to be made into a charm for a necklace, they continued searching for the monster's lair. They discovered that it had almost made it to a large cavern wherein they surmised it must have lived. A covered pit blocked the entrance, but without a minotaur (or kobolds) attacking them at the same time, traversing it safely was not difficult.

Within, they discovered the head of Ash on a pike, mouth open, with a shriveled piece of his own flesh stuck inside. Shocked Behind a very large boulder, the victorious warriors discovered a couple of chests full of treasure including several useful potions.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:39 pm; edited 8 times in total
    GreySage

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:21 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Collecting the head as a souvenir and the penis to be made into a charm for a necklace...

Aren't they one and the same? Wink
    And just what %^&* spell component do you need the unit of a minotaur to cast? Or what potion? Shocked

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:06 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    SirXaris wrote:
    Collecting the head as a souvenir and the penis to be made into a charm for a necklace...

Aren't they one and the same? Wink
    And just what %^&* spell component do you need the unit of a minotaur to cast? Or what potion? Shocked

-Lanthorn

They were thinking about Your Highness when they enacted that part of the adventure, methinks. Razz

SirXaris

Edit: How about a potion of Bull's Strength, or a component in a Desecrate spell? Razz

Last edited by SirXaris on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:14 pm  

DM of Eunuch Minotaurs,

As I said to our fellow, Wolfling, about his story, I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of your defilement of 'innocent' humanoids. Laughing

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:36 am  

Hello guys!
    GreySage

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:04 am  

Hello MrHemlocks. Welcome to Canonfire! Please go to the Welcome to Greyhawk forum and introduce yourself to everyone. Smile

SirXaris
    GreySage

Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:58 am  

I take it "Life" has put the continuation of this story on "hold?" Confused

Damn that "Life!" Mad

Waiting . . . Evil Grin

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:06 am  

Sorry. Lost some players who didn't return to college this semester and those that did return have been busy with life. I'm working hard to put the group's survivors back together and add a few replacements. Hopefully, we'll get started again soon.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:48 am  

Sorry to hear it. It sucks when you get a good game going and then something like this happens. Sad

Hope everything works out for you! Happy

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:30 am  

"Life" grabbed me by the...and squeezed... Shocked some time ago, preventing me from continuing my "Mistmarsh" saga (which I do intend to continue at some point!), so I totally understand, SX.

For now, we are left with two active authors. Wolfling and I will keep the home fires burnin' for ya, 'Xaris! Wink Until you return back with more campaign 'bait.'

Looking forward to the continuation of your tale, whenever that occurs.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:11 pm  

Duebidale

Participating PCs
    Ynohtna Noswal - male half-orc Ranger, Charisma 17;
    Tumak Copperbeard - male dwarf Fighter, Charisma 15.

While their erstwhile companions either lay dead in the ground, in the belly of some humanoid beast, or suffering some other unknown fate, Ynohtna and Tumak decided to explore the forest north of the Keep and the Deepstil River. Ynohtna's two war dogs proved their worth when they scared off a mountain lion that picked up their scent and slunk along waiting for an opportunity to pounce. They were also helpful in a battle against a giant spider the pair of adventurers stumbled upon in the forest's depths. They had elected, wisely they thought, to avoid the hazards of the Caves of Chaos with only themselves. They prefered to wait until it was possible to add more sword and spell arms to the group first. They may have made a mistake.

Continuing, they encountered a harmless pair of cheerful halflings, then defeated a small band of human bandits that attempted to waylay them. Feeling somewhat confident after their recent success, they were none-the-less wary when they heard a sultry female voice call to them from the forest ahead. Ynohtna spied a camouflaged elven form moving within the underbrush between the trees. Striking up a conversation, they discovered the form to belong to a fey dryad. She was strikingly beautiful and Ynohtna was completely smitten when she focused her attention upon him. Tumak was a bit miffed at being ignored, but didn't want to spoil his friend's fun. So, when Ynohtna dropped the shield and sword he was holding and advanced into the dryad's open arms, the dwarf played the faithful wingman and gave them their privacy. The handsome half-orc Ranger disappeared deeper into the forest with the lovely sylph.

After some time, however, Tumak began to have doubts. He remembered hearing from previous companions of an encounter with a dryad that required ransoming a companion (a female PC run by the same player as was running Ynohtna Razz ). He went back and searched for his friend, but found nought but his sword and shield lying where they had been dropped. Wandering around, he was fortunate to stumble upon an elven patrol (I swear I rolled the dryad and the elven patrol randomly! 1% chance for a dryad encounter, 6% chance for an elven patrol.) Surrounded by suspicious elves with bows and swords pointed at him, he explained that his companion had disappeared with a dryad and that he didn't know how to find him. He had to endure much elven snickering when he admitted that the dryad hadn't seemed much interested in him. He had to endure elven guffaws when he added that the companion the dryad had picked over him had been a half-orc. Razz

When the elves gained control of themselves, they offered to help the dwarf, but explained that he'd have to accompany them back to the Keep. There, they explained that a dryad can only be convinced to give up her lover peacefully if she is offered something she considers of greater value - a defensive magic item, a valuable piece of jewelry, or a prettier replacement. Tumak didn't have any magical cloaks, nor rings except for a Ring of Sustenance recently acquired in the minotaur's labyrinth. The elves, however, told him the dryad would have little use for such a trinket. So, he went to see the jeweler in the Keep to purchase something with which to ransom his friend. The jeweler was intrigued at Tumak's plight and recalled helping other adventurers similarly inconvenienced. He commented that the previous group had offered her a platinum and turquoise necklace worth about 750 pieces of gold and that she would likely be unflattered at a lesser, or even an equal, offering. Thus, Tumak was convinced to purchase a beautiful, but frail platinum necklace studded with saphires for 1,000 pieces of gold.

With his ransom and the helpful elves, Tumak returned to the forest to summon the dryad. The elves played their high-falutin music for what seemed interminable hours to the poor dwarf until, finally, the dryad appeared. The elf captain explained why they had requested her presence, then gave the conversation over to Tumak. He requested the release of his friend, Ynohtna, and offered the necklace in exchange. The dryad, however, haggled. She accepted his offer and promised to release the Ranger exactly one year and a day from this day. The dwarf looked to the elf and asked if that was acceptable (The player actually looked at the Ranger's player and asked that question. Sad ). The elven captain quietly advised the dwarf to haggle with her. He got her down to a month, but the elf encouraged him to continue and he was successful in convincing her to lower the time to only two days. However, in addition to leaving the necklace with her now, Tumak was to return in two days with a replacement lover - a knight in shining armor, riding a white horse. Shocked That was their agreement. The elves rolled their eyes, but wished the dwarf good fortune and bid him farewell.

Tumak returned to the Keep working out a plan to win the release of his half-orc friend. He remembered the brutish knight, Sir Bluto, who had, along with his fellow knights, squires, and men-at-arms, bullied him and his companions on the road a fortnight previous. The men-at-arms took every opportunity to harass demi-humans and even the human inhabitants of the Keep every time they saw them, especially in the tavern. He knew that the knights and their squires were lodged in the Keep's donjon as noble (though not liked) guests of the castellan. However, the men-at-arms and their sergeants were quartered in the inn - the same place Tumak and Ynohtna had a room. Tumak went to the tavern, found a group of four men-at-arms and their sergeant. They immediately began to hurl insults at Tumak, but the dwarf waved the half-dozen blue-liveried Keep soldiers down when they stood to prevent a fight and offered to buy the men-at-arms drinks. This they insultingly accepted. They were less irritated to accept a second round and were even happy to accept a third, fourth, and fifth round of drinks as long as the stupid dwarf was willing to pay for them.

While buying them drinks, Tumak regaled the armed bullies with tales of his adventures in and around the Keep. By the time they were emptying their fifth round of good, strong brew (Tumak paid for the good stuff Wink ), they were all ears when Tumak told them about a gorgeous elven woman that he and his friend had met in the woods and had some fun with. He even explained that he had been worn out and needed some rest, so had left his friend to have his turn. When questioned, he assured the men that he planned to return for some more of her inviting sweetness and that she had asked him to bring some friends. That was all it took to get the drunken group to the stables. Though the stable boys saddled their horses, it took a bit more work to get them all in the saddle. Attempting to leave the Keep after dark elicited some questions from the Corporal of the Watch, but Tumak, being known to him, was able to alleviate his concerns. The group rode into the forest and Tumak called for the dryad. She was disappointed in the knight Tumak indicated as the one he'd brought for her, though the sergeant had demanded to be first and was befuddled at her refusal. She glanced at each of the other four armored men until her gaze fell upon a young one as pretty as the Ranger. (I rolled randomly for their Charisma scores.) She spoke softly as a lover while holding his gaze upon her beautious orbs (her eyes, fellas rolleyes ) until the youth was completely smitten. She then began to lead him off into the darkness. As she did, Ynohtna emerged from the trees, naked as a jaybird. As she disappeared into the enclosing arbor, the dryad called over her shoulder to Tumak that he still owed her a white horse. Cool

The sergeant's mind cleared enough to shout to his men to find the one who left with the dryad and bring him back. The sergeant ran off intent on catching the dryad herself. Tumak returned to the keep with Ynohtna, begged off the questions of the Corporal of the Watch and headed straight to their room at the inn. All seemed well until Ynohtna realized that all he now possessed was the sword and shield that Tumak had recovered for him. Though he could replace his armor and most other items, he was quite upset about the half dozen or so healing potions that had, apparently, been left at the dryad's abode. Thus, instead of celebrating the victory, the two of them concocted a plan that nearly destroyed their friendship and got them both killed. Evil Grin

To be continued...

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:18 am; edited 10 times in total
    GreySage

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:20 am  

SirXaris wrote:

Tumak was a bit miffed at being ignored, but didn't want to spoil his friend's fun...the dwarf played the faithful wingman and gave them their privacy. The handsome half-orc Ranger disappeared deeper into the forest with the lovely sylph.

...they were all ears when Tumak told them about a gorgeous elven woman that he and his friend had met in the woods and had some fun with. He even explained that he had been worn out and needed some rest, so had left his friend to have his turn. When questioned, he assured the men that he planned to return for some more of her inviting sweetness and that she had asked him to bring some friends.

She spoke softly as a lover while holding his gaze upon her beautious orbs (her eyes, fellas rolleyes ) until the youth was completely smitten. She then began to lead him off into the darkness. As she did, Ynohtna emerged from the trees, naked as a jaybird. SirXaris

So, this must be the PG posting you told me to follow, yes? Wink

Damned dryads. Your players no doubt are starting to hate them! Fleecing your characters of their ill-gotten gains to retrieve 'love' smitten fellows.

She'd better watch out. She may press her luck too far. Just wait til someone tires of her shenanigans and sets the forest aflame! Evil Grin

Of course, the elves may have a problem with that... Confused

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:18 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    Tumak . . . remembered the brutish knight, Sir Bluto Sans Pite, who had, along with his fellow knights, squires, and men-at-arms, bullied him and his companions on the road a fortnight previous.

Now that is an excellent form of revenge! Evil Grin Laughing

Well done Tumak! Cool

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:13 pm  

It occurs to me that I forgot the part where the dryad spoke in elven to the elven captain asking him to be her vengence if the dwarf failed to fulfill his part of the bargain. The elf captain agreed since he had initially vouched for the dwarf by summoning the dryad in the first place. He then explained to Tumak what he'd promised the dryad and made sure the dwarf understood the consequences of failing to keep his end of the bargain.

Any Lie for Love

Participating PCs
    Tumak Copperbeard(less)- male dwarf Fighter (aka the gnome-goblin);
    Ynohtna Noswal - male half-orc Ranger (can't keep himself clothed).

As Ynothna's relief at being ransomed faded, he realized that he had none of his belongings but the sword and shield Tumak had thoughtfully retrieved for him. He was not overly worried about most of his equipment, but he had paid dearly for those healing potions and he desperately needed them for his own survival and that of his adventuring companions. He had to recover them. To that end, the pair of adventurers concocted a plan to lure the dryad away from her tree in order to steal back Ynohtna's treasures.

They managed to convince another group of Sir Bluto's drunken men-at-arms to accompany them into the forest. Once there, they summoned the dryad and she selected the prettiest one and began to lead him off. The drunken sergeant, however, followed them and chopped his man down from behind in a rage at being rejected while Tumak backed away into the darkness. While this was happening, Ynohtna snuck around and approached the dryad's tree. He searched to no avail for an opening. When he heard her running back toward him, he hid and drew his bow. As she approached, the Ranger loosed an arrow directly at her. It sliced her forearm as she ran and she stopped and hid behind another trunk. He lost sight of her until he was hit by an arrow from off to his side and saw that she had fired it. He charged her, but she stepped into the tree and appeared on a branch 20 feet above him. She asked him why he had attacked her and he was unable to resist her faerie charms. She stepped back into the trunk, then reappeared by stepping out of it at its base in front of him. Continuing to coax the truth from him, he panicked at the thought of telling his love that he had wanted to steal his potions back and had attacked her in anger. Instead, he did the only thing his infatuated mind could think of - he lied through his teeth.

Ynohtna explained that his friend, the dwarf Tumak, had convinced him that the dryad was evil and would seek him out and sacrifice him to a demon because the ransom was just a ruse and that the only way to save his life was to kill her. She finally shushed him with a kiss, then assured him that none of that was true. However, she told him that she expected him to make things right now by being the instrument of her wrath against the lying dwarf who had tricked her lover into hurting her. The charmed Ranger readily agreed to do anything the dryad asked. To that end, she insisted that the dwarf's beard be cut off and that he be hanged by his ankles at the edge of the forest within sight of the Keep for one day and one night. Ynohtna's love for this divine creature overcame his hesitation at bringing such harm to his friend and he set out to accomplish her desires.

Tumak returned to the the inn first, but Ynohtna was not far behind. As the dwarf prepared for bed, the Ranger said he was not sleepy and was going out for a walk. So, Tumak fell into a comfortable slumber and Ynohtna made his eventual way to a room with more of Sir Bluto's men-at-arms. He knocked on their door and was about to be punched in the face when he offered them 500 gold pieces to deal with a problem dwarf. Dragging him into their room instead, they asked about the gold. The half-orc produced it immediately, then explained what he wanted from them in exchange. Smiling, they took the money and agreed to do something they would have happily done for free if given the chance.

Ynohtna let them into his room and they surrounded Tumak's bed. Two of them tried to knock him unconscious while the other three held him down. Tumak, instead, woke up and struggled against his grapplers. Unfortunately, for the dwarf, his assailants were too strong and he was knocked out, trussed up, and rolled up in several bedrolls. The party then mounted their horses and headed for the gate. Again, the Corporal of the Watch took the Ranger at his word and allowed the group to exit the Keep. They rode north to the edge of the woods where Tumak was unrolled, and strung up on a tree branch by his ankles. Cursing his kidnappers, he noticed one standing back, not participating, but wearing a mask over his face. The others he recognized as some of Sir Bluto's men. They beat his bound, upside-down form until he was nearly dead, then made to leave. At the last minute, one of the brutes returned and cut off the dwarf's beard saying, "That's no way to leave a dwarf!" They returned to the Keep and Ynohtna accepted their invitation to join them in revelry using the money he had spotted them.

Tumak dangled upside-down, bloody and bruised, from the branch a few feet off the ground. He considered that, at least, they had left him to die with his clothes on, though the blood was filling his brain and making it hard to think. As he pondered his predicament, some kobolds discovered him and began prodding his now swinging form. He was shocked and fearful for more than his life when their blackscaled leader approached and looked him in the face. Tumak recognized the beast as the half-dragon leader of the band he and his friends had finally defeated in the Caves of Chaos. This was largely due to the whip on his hip and the small rapier in his hand. The kobold, however, didn't seem to recognize the dwarf. (He didn't have a beard, after all.)

"What be ye, foul-smelling beast? Fat and red, yes, but good for a feast?"

Thinking as quickly as his pounding brain could manage, Tumak told it that he was a half-gnome, half-goblin. His mother was a gnome and his father was a goblin. He did his best to assure the kobold that he was not tasty at all, but didn't think he was having much luck when an angry female voice shouted at the kobolds to leave him alone. Then the dryad appeared in the dim moonlight filtering through the trees at the forest's edge and threatened to have the trees reach down and pull the kobold's limbs from their bodies. At this, the band scattered in fear, though the blackscaled leader was the last to go and did so with a reptilian sneer.

The dryad then spun the dwarf to face her and sealed her charm with an upside-down kiss. She asked Tumak why he had lied to Ynohtna about her and convinced him to attack her. Desperate to prove his devotion to his soul's perfect mate, Tumak swore that he had nothing to do with the Ranger's attack upon the dryad and that he didn't even know that he was going to attack her. He just knew that Ynohtna wanted his potions back. Convinced of the dwarf's innocence in the matter, the dryad forgave him and made him promise to enact vengence upon the Ranger for his unforgivable scorn. This Tumak readily agreed to do. She released him from his bonds and he began the long trek back to the Keep on foot.

Upon his return, he had a difficult time begging off the questions of of the Corporal of the Watch, but eventually made his way back to the inn. As he opened the door to his room, he heard laughter down the hallway and looked to see Ynohtna emerge from a room full of Sir Bluto's men-at-arms. Spying Tumak in turn, the half-orc drunkenly entered their shared room and welcomed his friend back. When Tumak inquired as to Ynohtna's whereabouts the previous evening, the Ranger explained that he had gone for a walk and ended up drinking with some fellas who invited him to join them with free grog. He pretended to be rather irritated to discover who those drinking friends had been and concerned about the events that had befallen his friend, Tumak. Tumak, however, knew the truth as the dryad had told him that his friend had obeyed her demand for vengeance upon him.

The next day, Tumak sought an audience with Tornamir, the castellan, and accused Ynohtna of kidnapping and physical abuse. Tornamir listened carefully and assured the dwarf that he would have the incident investigated. That evening, Tumak and Ynohtna reveled at the tavern, but Tumak only pretended to drink much. The Ranger, however, tried to drown his guilt in alcohol. When Ynohtna couldn't keep himself upright in the chair any longer, Tumak loaded them both onto steeds stolen from Sir Bluto's men. He found no white steed, but chose a grey that appeared whitish. Mounted, they rode to the gatehouse. Again, he assured the Corporal of the Watch that their late-night excursions were more of their adventures to destroy evil humanoids in Lord Locks' domain and exited without incident. When they were far enough north of the Keep for any witnesses, Tumak pulled the half-orc from his saddle, stripped him naked, bound his wrists and ankles, and tied him to a rope attached to his whitish horse's saddle. Giving the horse a surprising slap upon its rump, he sent it running into the woods, dragging the naked half-orc behind. With a private chortle at the success of his revenge, Tumak returned alone to the Keep.

The horse was finally calmed by the dryad, who eased the Rangers sores a bit with her kiss and calmed his nerves with her lovely gaze. She told him she knew the truth and even returned half of his healing potions since she felt he had been duly chastised for his afront to her love. However, she felt that he still owed her for all the trouble that his attack and lies had caused her. She told him she'd let him go, but that he needed to bring her back a defensive magic item within one month to prove that his promise to never lie to her or harm her again was true. If he failed, she would have her elven friends hunt him down and bring him to her for a permanent punishment. Even had Ynohtna not been magically enchanted with undying love for her at the moment, he would not have hesitated to agree that such a deal was extremely generous.

Returning to the Keep, he was called before Sir Tornamir and questioned about his part in the incident with Tumak. He denied involvement and was released. Later that day, there was quite a ruckus as Sir Bluto and his remaining men angrily prepared to leave the Keep. Just as this was happening, two of Sir Bluto's men-at-arms showed up at the barbican, bloody and nearly dead. Sir Bluto spoke to them, then stormed back to shout at Sir Tornamir. Not long after, however, he returned and the entire troop of over two dozen knights and men-at-arms stormed out the gates. Interestingly, the two adventurers noted that the knight and his men rode east, down the road that ran past the Caves of Chaos then branched, continuing east, but also heading north to Eru Tovar in the lands of the Wolf Nomads.

Sir Bluto and his men didn't leave in any obscurity. They left to the cheering of the crowd that had gathered to watch and that of many of the Keep's guardsmen as well. This was accompanied by the throwing of rotten vegetables and a few sticks and stones by small children. Soon word spread that Sir Bluto had refused to allow Sir Tornamir to question his men over some issue they were involved in. The castellan gave him the choice of submitting his subordinates to his interogation or leaving the Keep. When Sir Bluto learned of the abuse his men had suffered at the hands of the dwarf and half-orc, he had stormed back to demand that Tornamir arrest and punish those two "low-browed, common, pieces of troll excrement." Sir Tornamir stated that he was all too happy to comply as soon as Sir Bluto could arrange for him to interrogate the witnesses. The haughty, selfish knight left the castellan's presence again in a rage, this time leaving the Keep without another interruption.

Tumak and Ynohtna were thanked profusely by every inhabitant of the Keep they met for the next few days and couldn't pay for their own drinks if they'd tried. Under the circumstances, they decided that being the toast of all the fine folks at the Keep for a while was a good reason to forgive and forget that they'd each chosen to save their own hide at the expense of the other.

Now, they needed more of their friends for another adventure.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:16 pm; edited 12 times in total
    GreySage

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 am  

That dryad is proving to be more of a challenge than most of the denizens of those caves! My spider-sense tells me we've not seen the end of her...

I'm wondering if/when these characters are gonna learn to either actively avoid her OR find a way to negate her 'charms.'

Then, are they gonna let bygones be bygones, OR exact their own revenge?

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:58 am  

Hmm. Personally, I don't see Tumak's and Ynohtna's friendship surviving this episode, but then it's not my game. rolleyes

Oh, well, we'll wait to see what else happens now. Shocked

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:53 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Hmm. Personally, I don't see Tumak's and Ynohtna's friendship surviving this episode, but then it's not my game. rolleyes

These two players are good friends and had lots of fun beating each other up without going so far as to kill one another. Evil Grin

More adventure, and death, to come!

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:32 am  

one thing Sir Xaris forgot is how Tumak Copperbeard (at that time Tumak Nobeard) got his long scar across the left eye, all the way down his cheak. It was while I was hanging upside down and the cobolds were standing around me that the half dragon cobold sliced me with his rapier when the Driade tried to chase them away...

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

haha, we are roommates and he is one of my best friends :D we sorted it out right away... however he does owe me 1000 gp :D
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 pm  

Welcome, Tumak! Thanks for joining the thread and Canonfire! Introduce yourself to the community properly over in the Welcome to Greyhawk forum so everyone knows we've got a new member. Smile

Those Wretched Kobolds!

Participating PC
    Tumak Nobeard - 3rd level male dwarf Fighter;
    Ynohtna Noswal - 3rd level male half-orc Ranger;
    Blump Butter - 4th level male gnome Cleric.

While Ynohtna searched the merchant stalls for one who could acquire a magical Cloak of Resistance with which to propitiate his vengful love goddess, the dryad, Tumak was again summoned before Sir Tornamir. The castellan informed Tumak that it was going to be quite difficult to ascertain the truth of the incidents without being able to question Sir Bluto's men, who were vital witnesses, and asked him if he wanted to pursue the matter further. Tumak thanked him for his efforts, but explained that it had all been a misunderstanding and that the matter was settled as far as he was concerned. Ynohtna, lacking enough cash to pay for such an item was able to haggle a merchant into accepting a magical sword and a potion of Bull's Strength in exchange. The pleased merchant promised to return to the Keep within one month's time with the magical cloak Ynohtna had requested.

Having settled all pressing business and restored their friendship, the two companions spent the remainder of the day enjoying fine food and drink at the tavern while regaling the locals with only slightly embellished, but highly edited, tales of their adventures in the region. Later in the evening, Blump, their clerical, gnomish friend, returned from visiting friends in the forested hills west of the Keep and joined them at the table. Together, they planned to venture forth again, come the morn, and see what a new day would bring.

Leaving the Keep a little later than they had initially planned, the trio headed into the woods, less fearful of the dryad as they figured they had at least a month's worth of free pass while she waited for their gift to be delivered. They encountered a friendly woodsman here and there and chased off a few wild animals and humanoids, but eventually they found opponents worthy of their focus. In the underbrush ahead, they spied several small humanoids preparing an ambush for them. Tumak noted their green scaly hides and immediately called a challenge and charged. As Blump and Ynohtna followed more cautiously, the kobolds scattered in all directions, fleeing from the angry dwarf with the crescent blade attached to his arm (a scizor). Tumak spied one of the fleeing vermin with darker scales and recognized it as the black-scaled leader of the tribe. He turned on a burst of speed and bulled straight through the brush and branches in his attempt to catch the creature that had scarred his face and embarassed him into pretending to be a half-gnome, half-goblin. He had to kill the creature before it told anyone else about the incident.

The kobold chieftain apparently realized that the dwarf was about to catch up to him, so turned and faced about to accept the charge with his whip and rapier. The dwarf's rage almost blinded him to anything but his prey, but his danger sense kicked in just in time to cause him to duck as he passed by a huge tree. Doing so prevented his head from being struck from his shoulders as a tree limb as thick as his thigh split the air above him. An ogre had somehow been recruited by the kobolds to help them ambush the party! Tumak, however, had no interest in the ogre, but continued on to spit the kobold leader on his scizor. Things looked bad for Tumak then as he faced off with the pint-sized half-dragon because the ogre advanced on him from behind and the five remaining kobolds tribesmen were circling back to engage him along with their chief. Fortunately, Tumak's friends were racing to assist him too.

Fighting defensively until his friends could relieve some of the pressure, Tumak managed to avoid the pointy end of the miniature rapier and learned a rather elven-like dance step while avoiding the trip attempts of the whip all while ducking and blocking the powerful strokes of the ogre's club. Just in time, Ynohtna and Blump, on his war dog, arrived and distracted the ogre. The green-scaled kobolds also arrived and, seeing their chieftain in a fight for his life, dog-piled the doughty dwarf. Despite his encredible strength and the relative weakness of the kobolds, there were just too many of them to out-wrestle and he was borne to the ground. During the struggle, the chieftain stepped up and delivered a coup-de-grace to the dwarf's chest. Fortunately for Tumak, the blow was weak or his armor was true, or his struggles deflected the blow, or a likely combination of the three and divine grace, and he survived... barely. Blump heard his cry of agony, however and hopped from his war dog's back and raced over to aid his dwarven comrade.

As Ynohtna and the war dog sliced and tore the ogre's legs to eventually topple and destroy the beast, Blump dove into the midst of the pile with a spell of healing on his lips. Ignoring the minor blows he received from the entangled kobolds, he administered enough curative magic to Tumak to give him the strength to continue the fight. Between the two, they were able to throw off the pinning kobolds and catch the leader in a steel vice between scizor and axe. Seeing both their leader and their muscle felled by the adventurers, the few, pitiful remnants of the once vicious tribe fled as fast and as far as their short legs could carry them.

Suffering many serious injuries and having finally put an end to one of their most hated rivals, the companions decided to call it a day and returned to the keep with a couple of impressive heads as trophies to add to their collection.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:03 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    These two players are good friends and had lots of fun beating each other up without going so far as to kill one another.

Tumak wrote:
    we are roommates and he is one of my best friends.

Razz

Just in case you two missed it the first time . . . Razz

I was not talking about the PLAYERS! rolleyes

Since you're obviously both "GEEKS" -- I already knew that about Xaris! Razz -- I'll use simple words:

The relationship of the two imaginary CHARACTERS would not survive this disaster.

It's called Role Playing, as opposed to what you two are doing, to wit: Roll Playing.

"Hey! I rolled another natural 20!" Shocked rolleyes

You two are not going to win any Oscars! Xaris, what AM I going to do with you? Laughing Evil Grin Laughing Evil Grin Laughing Evil Grin

Tumak, Xaris knows I'm just having fun with the two of you, so don't take it personally! And . . .

Welcome to Canonfire! Now, go to the "Welcome to Canonfire!" thread and introduce yourself! Wink Laughing

Incidentally, if I may ask, did you two used to get your lunch money stolen at school? Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:16 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Tumak noted their green scaly hides and immediately called a challenge and charged . . . Tumak, however, had no interest in the ogre, but continued on to spit the kobold leader on his scizor . . .

How does that go? Something about "looking before you leap?" Surprised

Or is it "rushing in where angels fear to tread?" Shocked

Well, it's one of those anyway! Evil Grin Laughing

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:55 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

The relationship of the two imaginary CHARACTERS would not survive this disaster.

I got it, but I've seen role-playing cause rifts between real-life friends, so wanted to point out that they were just having a good time in real-life by beating up each other's PCs. All's good. Smile

And, in the next installment, a brand new player joins the group and suffers trial by fire as he learns just how deadly the Flanaess can be. Evil Grin

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:52 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Mystic-Scholar wrote:

I got it, but I've seen role-playing cause rifts between real-life friends, so wanted to point out that they were just having a good time in real-life by beating up each other's PCs. All's good. Smile

And, in the next installment, a brand new player joins the group and suffers trial by fire as he learns just how deadly the Flanaess can be. Evil Grin

SirXaris

don't forget my fight with the assassin
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:56 pm  

Tumak Copperbeard, the slayer of the Minotaur, the Protector of clerics, the Mighty Duelist, the Penis Collector, the Orc Hewer, the Destroyer of Ogres, the Cave Cleaner, etc.

In his early days chopping some wood.

EDIT: OK can some moderator change the size of the pic?
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    I've seen role-playing cause rifts between real-life friends . . .

A sad truth and that's why they will never win an Oscar. Sad

The movie Twins? Arnold disses Sly. The movie Demolition Man? Sly disses Arnold. The movie The Expendables? They aren't friends, but competitors. Real life? Friends and business partners. Evil Grin

Need to separate fiction from reality. In playing the game . . . you're making a movie. You're actors, nothing more.

That's something everyone needs to bare in mind. Happy Cool

Still enjoying following your game! Evil Grin

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:19 pm  

The Mystery Cave

Participating PCs
    Ynohtna Noswall - 3rd level male half-orc Ranger;
    Blump Butter - 4th level male gnome Cleric;
    * New Player * Todd - 2nd level male human Cleric from the Thillonrian peninsula.

The trio of adventuring companions answered a new summons from Abdiel, the head priest of Heironeous at the chapel in the keep and discovered that he had a rather impressive-looking guest to introduce to them. Todd was a giant of a man dressed in the armor and wielding the weapons of the barbarians of the cold northeast. Abdiel introduced Todd as a Cleric of Fharlanghn, who was the last known survivor of a group that had traveled across the northern reaches of the Flanaess. Having lost his companions (including his own brother), Todd hoped to join another group of reputable adventurers to continue his exploration of the world beyond his frozen homeland. The three would have happily accepted any competent and trustworthy adventurer into their ranks, but another Cleric was a special treat.

Todd, the Ill-fated

Abdiel also had a few newly brewed healing potions for the PCs for their continued donations and the four planned an early trek to the Caves of Chaos at dawn. When they arrived, they had a choice to make. Having scouted the area previously, they knew that there remained three unexplored caves in the ravine. They had seen bugbears entering and exiting from a copse of trees high on the ravine wall and had witnessed Iuzian Clerics and their undead bodyguards coming and going from the cave at the far end. They also knew of a lower cave within a tangled copse at the upper end of the ravine from which the Goblin Run emerged, but had never had an opportunity to see what might live within. After debating the advantages and disadvantages they might possess with respect to the known forces within the two upper caves, they settled for exploring the unknown.

Upon entering, they noted that the natural cavern split left and right, with the the Goblin Run coming from the right-hand passage. After an extensive and heated argument rolleyes they wandered left. They discovered that the detritus of bones, excrement, sticks, and leaves covering the floors of the various natural caverns within also hid the ocassional coin of various value. Searching turned up random coinage, but the noise also attracted a nest of four giant rats. These fearless beasts were easily dispatched, but Ynohtna was given a short fright as the bite he suffered tingled with the effects of the disease-ridden saliva of the plague-carrying rodent. Fortunately, his knowledge of herbal remedies allowed him to stave off a serious infection.

To be continued...

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Abdiel introduced Todd as a Cleric of Fharlanghn, who was the last known survivor of a group that had traveled across the northern reaches of the Flanaess . . . beyond his frozen homeland.

Interestingly, the LGG doesn't show Fharlanghn being worshipped in Stonehold, or by the Frost, Snow,Ice Barbarians. That is to say, he doesn't receive any major worship there. An unlikely place to originate a Cleric of Fharlanghn.

Where, exactly, is Todd from? Confused

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:49 pm  

Tumak wrote:
    Tumak Copperbeard... the Penis Collector...

One AND the same, people, one and the same!!! Laughing

-Lanthorn, the Laughing
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:17 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    SirXaris wrote:
    Abdiel introduced Todd as a Cleric of Fharlanghn, who was the last known survivor of a group that had traveled across the northern reaches of the Flanaess . . . beyond his frozen homeland.

Interestingly, the LGG doesn't show Fharlanghn being worshipped in Stonehold, or by the Frost, Snow,Ice Barbarians. That is to say, he doesn't receive any major worship there. An unlikely place to originate a Cleric of Fharlanghn.

Where, exactly, is Todd from? Confused

It was a quick choice on my part as the player hadn't time to choose a Greyhawk god he felt best represented his viking-like Cleric. I chose one for this write-up that explained the far-wanderings of this PC without limiting his more realistic choices for replacement PCs. Wink Cool

The Mystery Cave continued

Participating PCs
    Ynohtna Noswall - 3rd level male half-orc Ranger;
    Todd - 2nd level male human Cleric from the Thillonrian peninsula.

Having dispatched the rodent vermin with relative ease, the group continued to explore the numerous natural caverns within the system, searching for lost treasure while keeping an eye out for any other hungry surprises these uneven pits might hold. That was fortunate as Ynohtna noticed the ceiling in the far corner of a cavern he was searching begin to move and shift in time to jump clear as it fell to the floor in the spot he'd just vacated. Surprisingly, the blob reached out and grabbed him with an acidic tendril which held on with unnatural strength. Ynohtna struggled valiantly, but lost the fight to free himself from the grip of the greyish blob as his companions raced to his rescue. Blump grabbed ahold of the half-orc right through the viscous ooze while Tumak and Todd hurled flasks of oil into its midst. The Ranger sliced a hole with his dagger and the Cleric pulled with all his might and they were successful to a degree - Ynohtna emerged with only some tendrils still grasping him. The constriction and acid were taking their toll, however, and the ooze was grasping at Blump and his war dog as well. Lighting a torch from his pack (which hadn't been needed yet as the Clerics had been making liberal use of their Light orisons), Todd hurled it onto the slimy, grey exudation. It immediately erupted in flame, but refused to lessen its grasp.

Tumak remained back from the oily conflagration and maintained a watchful vigil against the possible attack of other opponents from the two entrances/exits in the cavern and the very walls, ceiling and floor. Such caution was rewarded as he also just avoided having another ooze drop upon him. It did manage to violently grab ahold of him with an acidic pseudopod, however, much as Ynohtna had been attacked. The Ranger managed to free himself from the ooze's grip and ran to assist his dwarven friend while Todd continued to lend the strength of his sword-arm to the gnome and his dog. As the flames died on the ooze, the warriors noted that it seemed completely unharmed by the fire. They became a bit worried as the damage they dealt it seemed paltry, though more harmful than the flame. Once the oozes grappled a victim, they attempted to envelope it, but the adventurers fought back with muscle and steel and managed to avoid being completely engulfed again for a time. Winning completely free of the monstrosities, however, proved difficult.

While struggling against the entanglement of the acidic ooze, Tumak could only watch in horror as only he noticed a furry hulk emerge from the tunnel they had not yet entered. It lumbered with unexpected speed up behind their new clerical ally and raised itself upon its back legs. This was an owlbear larger than any the experienced Fighter had yet seen! Before he could catch his breath to cry a warning, it grappled Todd in its clawed forelegs, crushed the life from him, and snapped his head off in one crunch of its razor-sharp beak! Blump turned to see the beast dragging Todd's body back into its cave, but could do nothing and his war dog had just been enveloped by the ooze! Tumak and Ynohtna were both caught by the other grey ooze and could do nothing but struggle against it's grip.

Blump, though he gave it everything he had, couldn't pull his dog free of the ooze and when its body stopped its struggle, Blump chose to swallow his tears and run to the aid of the friends who still lived. The half-orc had been enveloped by the other ooze and though Blump and Tumak hacked at it until it dissolved into a pile of weak acid on the cavern floor, they were too late to save the life of their friend. Ynohtna, half-orc Ranger, and Todd, human Cleric of Farlangh, had fought their last fight. They knew they lacked the strength to face that giant owlbear, but they could take the half-orc's body with them and see it got a proper burial.

Together, they fled the mystery cave to the relative safety of the ravine itself, but they did not stop there. They ran all the way to the pallisaded watchtower east of the road where the dozen soldiers stationed within threw open the gates and helped them inside. As the surviving pair rested and healed under the protective watch of the Keep's soldiers, they nearly despaired at the loss of so many of their compatriots and pets. While resting, a mounted patrol lead by none other than Figolwren, Sir Tornamir's elven advisor, stopped by for a rest on its way back from a weeklong survey of Lord Locks' demesne. Tumak had asked his clerical friend and Abdiel about the possibility of a spell that would regrow his beard, but they said such magic was not within their purview. Figolwren, however, admitted that he could concoct a spell or potion that could cause the dwarf's beard to grow back out again very quickly, but that it might take a few days. This brightened Tumak's mood considerably and, once healed by Blump's magic, the pair of demi-humans made their way back to the Keep. Their first stop was to see Abdiel to explain the loss of the Cleric of Farlangh.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Tumak wrote:
    Tumak Copperbeard... the Penis Collector...

One AND the same, people, one and the same!!! Laughing

-Lanthorn, the Laughing

didn't really understand this...but whatever... I got that nickname because I chop off the dicks of my enemies that are rarely seen in combat

Tumak, the Whateverman
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    It was a quick choice on my part as the player hadn't time to choose a Greyhawk god he felt best represented his viking-like Cleric.

Given the limitations caused by his imprisonment, Vatun would have been an interesting choice. And the search for the Five Blades of Corusk would be a great reason for traveling the Flanaess. Happy

I'm just saying . . . Wink

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    SirXaris wrote:
    It was a quick choice on my part as the player hadn't time to choose a Greyhawk god he felt best represented his viking-like Cleric.

Given the limitations caused by his imprisonment, Vatun would have been an interesting choice. And the search for the Five Blades of Corusk would be a great reason for traveling the Flanaess. Happy

I'm just saying . . . Wink

Yes, had I thought of it, that would have been a good idea. But Vatun is a valid option for the player's replacement PC, who will be Todd's twin brother, so I wanted him to have that option as one more chance to differenciate the two PC. Wink I figured Farlangh wasn't really one the player would consider for his character.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:14 pm  

I have always loved owlbears as a creature. Never before DMed an enounter with a grey ooze (to my memory) in over 20 yrs of gaming, though. Confused I never knew they were so damned tough! I will have to refamiliarize myself with their stats (at least, in 1 and 2e).

Sad loss to the party. Sorry fellas, but an owlbear's gotta eat, too. Wink

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:46 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    I have always loved owlbears as a creature. Never before DMed an enounter with a grey ooze (to my memory) in over 20 yrs of gaming, though. Confused I never knew they were so damned tough! I will have to refamiliarize myself with their stats (at least, in 1 and 2e).

Sad loss to the party. Sorry fellas, but an owlbear's gotta eat, too. Wink

-Lanthorn

I almost TPK'd a party way back in college with that same combination. Wink Eight party members entered the mystery cave. One PC with two hit points remaining carried three unconscious and four PC dead bodies out to their tethered horses. Evil Grin

SirXaris
    GreySage

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 pm  

Interlude: The Swamp

Participating PCs
    Ynohtna Noswal - 3rd level male half-orc Ranger;
    Tumak Nobeard - 3rd level male dwarf Fighter.

Sitting in the tavern reminiscing about the adventures they had enjoyed with their half-orc friend before his death, Tumak and Blump related the tale of their daring foray into the swamp not that far agone. The tale began with sober sadness, but grew through the evening into one of drunken one-upmanship.

As Tumak began the tale, Blump admitted having to be convinced to risk trudging into the mire along the banks of the Deepstil after the rumors he'd heard from the folk of the Keep. Challenging the bravery of his clan, Tumak and Ynohtna had coaxed the leary gnome to brave the sodden challenges within and the trio crept as stealthily as possible into the mist.

Though the fog that shrouded the swamp was generally a natural occurance in the mornings and at certain times during the seasons, it was undoubtedly now quite unnatural as it remained perpetually throughout the day and night. Visibility was low and the trees still standing were dead or dying. The three adventurers slogged into the morass of swamp grass and water, hanging onto an ocassional tree. They had to keep moving or they would slowly sink into the muck and likely lose their footgear. Their first surprise was a half-dozen dead bodies that rose from the muck and water grasping at their legs and trying to pull them down to rather unpleasant deaths. These proved vulnerable to Blump's power to channel positive energy, though, so the encounter went successfully for the living. Shortly thereafter, they were accosted by over twice as many fleshless undead who crumbled to dust as Blump was prepared to repeat his divine feat more quickly this time. As they continued, they had to guard against poisonous snakes that swam stealthily toward them and more assaults by rotting corpses rising to assault them from the soggy vegetation they trod upon. It appeared to the group that this area was infested with the unliving. So far, it appeared that skeletons and zombies outnumbered the natural wildlife.

That thought was interrupted by the sighting of a hooded head peering at them from behind the Y of a dead tree's split trunk. When they called a greeting, it disappeared. They trailed it, but again, it disappeared as they approached. Stopping to get their bearings, they spied a giant rodent, much like the ones they had battled in the kobold's warrens. Not pleased by the sight, Blump placed a rounded bullet in his sling and let it fly. His aim was true, but the bullet seemed to bounce of the rat's skull with minimal effect. It did, however, move out of sight behind some swamp grass on a tuft separated from the party by about 15 feet of shallow water. Watching the spot for the disease-ridden vermin to reappear, they saw instead a hooded man stand as if from a crouch. Without explanation, his hands were clawed and covered in course black hair while his face was that of a giant rat!

"Changling! Shapeshifter!" they called as blades were drawn to confront the demon advancing on their position. With a sneer upon its face, the wererat strode confidently through the two-foot deep swamp while drawing a rapier and a long dagger from its belt. The party knew they could not outrun an opponent in the marshy wilderness of these baleful bogs, so stood their ground and met the fiend toe-to-toe. The blades of Blump and Tumak sliced through the creature's clothing, but drew no blood from its flesh. It's blades, however, dealt the trio several piercing wounds before Ynohtna's falchion opened the cocky beast's midsection deeply enough to allow it's entrails to peek through. Shocked at this developement, the ratman turned and dove into the swamp. Changing to rat form in midair before the wondering eyes of the demi-humans, it fled before the magical power of the Ranger's two-handed scimitar. Realizing their potential peril, the trio wisely decided to make their way back to the more solid ground of the Keep. Once back on terra firma, they determined not to assail the denizens of the swamp again with out more assistance and a plan of retreat.

The tale ended with mugs raised round about in honor of the bravery of the half-orc Ranger who had saved the lives of his two friends that day.

Shananana (satyr) and Rock Hammerhand Boulderbeard (goliath) enjoy the tales of a half-orc ranger (Ynohtna) during their stay at the Keep.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:31 pm; edited 5 times in total
    GreySage

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:04 pm  

Hmm. These three are not as stupid as they . . . look? Evil Grin

The Were-rat shall have to rethink its strategy! Cool

Last edited by Mystic-Scholar on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm  

Assassin!

Participating PCs
    Blump Butter - 4th level gnome Cleric;
    Tumak Nobeard - 4th level dwarf Fighter.

The next day, the two surviving members of the latest assault on the Caves of Chaos received a summons from Abdiel. Hurriedly, they dressed and made their way through the busy morning streets of the Keep to the chapel of Heironeous. There, they had left the body of their Ranger friend with the good priests for proper interment. An acolyte led them into a side room for a private audience with Head Priest Abdiel who attended to them without delay.

With a hopeful expression upon his face, he began the explanation of the reason for his summons by offering to Raise Ynohtna from the dead! This, of course, got the pair's attention and immediately dispelled the gloom that hung about them. Abdiel continued the explanation thusly: Years ago, when Lord Locks established the Keep and appointed Abdiel to preside over the chapel within, Abdiel's superior in Perrenland had gifted the young priest with a scroll with a single Raise Dead spell inscribed upon it. This spell was to be used only in extreme emergency (likely for Lord Locks or himself, it was expected). But, recent divinations have warned Abdiel that his own life is in great danger and that the best chance of avoiding death at the hands of an assassin was for one of these two brave demi-humans to find the evil one, issue a divine challenge, and defeat him in fair combat before all. If they fail, Abdiel was certain that he would be slain and one of his subordinates, if they survived, would have to use the scroll on him anyway, so he would be happy to use it on their friend if they would defeat the assassin for him.

The first task would be to find him. All Abdiel could provide by way of description was that the assassin would be from the west, that he would bear a vicious scar, and that he would speak not a word. He also explained that the challenge must be public so that the glory of Heironeous would shine upon them and assure his champion's victory. So, they searched the marketplace, the inn, the smithy, the stables, and the various merchantile establishments in the Keep unsuccessfully until finally arriving at the tavern.

As their eyes adjusted to the dimmer lighting, they noted several off-duty soldiers of the Keep, a few common patrons, and a darkly cloaked individual eating a bowl of soup in a corner booth. Being the only Baklunish individual they had not stopped to question among the many in the Keep that day, they approached his booth, introduced themselves, and asked him his business in the Keep. The cloaked figure ignored them. Irked, Tumak stepped forward and pulled the bowl away from the eating man. Before depositing the bowl and its contents anywhere else, he froze in place as he felt a piercing pressure between his legs. Carefully stealing a glance downward he noted that the cloaked man's arm ended in a pointy dagger which was pressing firmly upward into his crotch. Changing his mind, the dwarf returned the bowl to its proper place and took a slow step back.

The silent man was not cooperative, however, and increased the pressure exerted with the blade instead of lessening it and Tumak felt a trickle of blood run down his leg from a very delicate portion of his body in that region. As he did, he cocked his head enough that Tumak caught sight of an old tear on his throat that had been hidden by the cloak. Infuriated, the stocky Fighter called for the attention of the room and declared the cloaked figure to be an assassin sent from the west to murder the righteous and beloved priest of Heironeous, Abdiel. He then issued a public challenge to be attended in half an hour before the chapel itself. The cloaked man nodded his acceptance while continuing to enjoy his soup and an off-duty Keep sergeant verified that the challenge was legal, but that the man had committed no crime anyone was aware of, so he couldn't just be arrested on the spot.

Tumak Nobeard

To be continued...

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 am; edited 4 times in total
    GreySage

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:54 pm  

And so it is that coincidence once again saves Ynohtna Noswal! Shocked

Well, this time, anyway! Wink

Cleric of Vatun to the Cleric of Farlangh: "I rise . . . you fall!" Evil Grin

I knew an employee of TPK Games would find a way to introduce a Cleric of Vatun into the game! Evil Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not to mention the fact that you have poor, 4th level Tumak facing off against a 10th level assassin! Wink

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Not to mention the fact that you have poor, 4th level Tumak facing off against a 10th level assassin! Wink

Not quite. Cool

Several of my players showed up and wanted to game while I was in the middle of typing up the bit about the assassin. Can you believe they are that enthusiastic about dying again? Evil Grin

Now, back to the story. Smile

SirXaris
    GreySage

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Can you believe they are that enthusiastic about dying again?

Wow! A group of Sadists and Masochists at the same gaming table! Shocked Evil Grin

Mwahahahahahahahaha!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:51 pm  

Assassin! continued...

Participating PCs
    Blump Butter - 4th level gnome Cleric;
    Tumak Nobeard - 4th level dwarf Fighter.

While a crowd gathered to accompany Tumak and the sergeant to the dueling grounds before the inner barbican, Blump remained behind in the tavern to keep an eye on the assassin. The other off-duty soldiers were doing the same thing, but the assassin seemed to be interested only in finishing his dinner. The sergeant went over the rules of a legal duel with Tumak to be sure he understood them as enforced in this part of the Flanaess. Basically, having issued the challenge, Tumak had the right to choose whether the fight would be to first blood, second blood, or death. Once the duel begins, anything goes as long as neither combatant tries to flee. Flight (i.e. any definition of the word) is cheating and would mean automatic loss. It is also unlawful for any other party to assist either combatant. Suddenly, Tumak had a clearer idea of why one of Abdiel's acolytes had handed him a potion of Bull's Strength and a potion of Bear's Endurance as a free gift when they left the chapel on their search for the assassin.

When the assassin finished his soup, he casually rose and made his way to the dueling grounds. Blump watched carefully for any indication that he added a potion to his soup or cast a spell from a scroll, so he was not surprised when he caught the darkly cloaked rogue surreptiously down a couple of potions of his own during the walk over. When the challengee arrived at the indicated time and place, Tumak repeated his challenge for the benefit of the crowd decreeing that Heironeous demanded that the would-be assassin's guilt be demonstrated now at this appointed time and place and that second blood (a most dangerous blow as demonstrated by reducing an opponent to zero hit points) would prove the rightness of his challenge. As the accused stood his ground in the center of a circle of onlookers, a scrawny, bespectacled half-elf stepped forward and addressed the crowd on the assassin's behalf.

"Sheep of the Keep! You who huddle beneath the illusory protection of the flumph who calls himself Lord Locks! Behold, the Executioner of Pashas' Pashions, Passer of Divine Winds, Plague of the West, Bane of the East, the Utterly Unvulnerable, Ekbir Gionni Pomarj! He has never failed to slay any challenger and will cut the neck of this puny pile of dirt along with the stubble that remains of his pitifully juvenile beard!"

Incensed at the affront to his friend, Blump stood forth and extolled the virtues of the valiant Dwarf.

"Behold, my friends, the Tamer of the Wilds, the Mutilator of Minotaurs, Oviraptor of Orcs, Grinder of Goblin Bones, who puts the kibosh on kobolds, and gnashes gnolls for breakfast: Tumak, Wannabe, Copperbeard!"

At this, the crowd went wild and the dwarf downed his potions before donning his scizore and hefting his shield. Meanwhile, Ekbir Gionni Pomarj opened his cloak to reveal a falchion upon his back and a coiled spiked chain on his hip. It was the chain that he drew forth and began to twirl easily and expertly as he sized his opponent up. The two then closed quickly and fell to blows. First blood went to the challenger as he ducked the strike of the barbed chain and slashed the assassin's arm with his gladiatorial blade. The Ekbirian...

Here the half-elf interjected to point out that the assassin originally hailed from Sterich as Gionni Cougar, but dropped his surname when his aliases were added because he thought it was too pretentious.

Ahem.

The assassin rolleyes spun around Tumak's shield and struck him a staggering blow in the back of the head with his unconventional weapon. Blood had been spilled on both sides and it did not end there. Gionni Pomarj deftly danced around to avoid Tumak's advance, striking at his feet to trip him and managing to disarm him once. The dwarf's powerful stance, however, prevented his opponent from knocking him prone and finally Tumak managed to stamp on the end of the chain and nearly jerk the assassin to the ground. Instead, Gionni Cougar used his forward momentum to bull rush the surprised dwarf and knock him back a few feet, freeing his weapon from beneath the dwarf's boot. Just then, with his back quite close to the encircling crowd, Tumak heard Blump shout, "Behind you, Tumak!" Spinning on his heel, the Fighter prepared for an attack from an unexpected ally of the coniving cheat, but faced only startled commoners and soldiers, none with any apparent weapon in hand. Before the dwarf could come to an understanding of what had just happened, the ventriliquist/assassin snapped his spiked chain around Tumak's neck. The sneak attack had come from behind afterall.

As the chain was pulled taught, the dwarf rolled backward with the momentum and allowed his body to fall into a backward somersault. Pushing off the ground with his arms, he flung his legs upward and into the chest of the assassin who had stepped forward to plunge a dagger into the dwarf's chest. The assassin flew backward, losing his grip on the chain and crashed to the ground. The dwarf unwrapped the chain from his neck while advancing on his prone opponent, but the silent assassin spun to his feet while drawing his falchion and met him again in head-to-head combat. This time around, however, the dwarf was unwilling to waste any more time. He took the rogue's first strike hard upon his shield and bulled his way forward, overrunning the assassin and kicking the sword from his prone fingers. Tumak took a sharp stab to the calf from another quickly drawn dagger, but used the weight of his falling body to drive the blade of his scizore into Gionni's side as he did. A look of surprised defeat was the last thing Tumak saw in the assassin's eyes before they closed in unconsciousness.

Rising with difficulty on one leg, Tumak the Victorious was helped from the site by Blump and Abdiel himself. Blue-liveried soldiers carried Ekbir Gionni Pomarj to the dungeon after a Heironean acolyte administered minor healing to prevent his death. Abdiel spent the next day returning Ynohtna to life while Blump went in search of a Highfolk merchant that could replace his lost riding war dog and Tumak (after accepting lots of healing from Blump and the Heironean acolytes) accepted an invitation from Figolwren to see about repairing the damage done to his once-proud copper-colored facial adornment.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:04 pm; edited 10 times in total
    GreySage

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:33 am  

How in the heck did a 3' tall Dwarf kick a sword out of a 6' tall Assassin's hand? Shocked Razz Evil Grin

Okay, I'm going to ask because, expect for a Google which offered a Pokemon "scizor," I have no idea what a "scizor" is! Confused

Waiting . . .

Laughing

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    How in the heck did a 3' tall Dwarf kick a sword out of a 6' tall Assassin's hand? Shocked Razz Evil Grin

The dwarf bowled into the assassin and knocked him down. Technically, it was a bullrush, but I called it an overrun. When the assassin landed on his back, Tumak kicked the sword from his hand. And, dwarves are four feet tall. Smile

Quote:
    Okay, I'm going to ask because, expect for a Google which offered a Pokemon "scizor," I have no idea what a "scizor" is! Confused

Waiting . . .

Laughing

Yeah, I had no idea either and had to look it up when my player said he wanted to use one. It's a gladiator weapon that has a cuff that fits over the wielder's forearm and a half-moon shaped blade sticking out the other end. It is a slashing weapon.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    The dwarf bowled into the assassin and knocked him down. When the assassin landed on his back, Tumak kicked the sword from his hand.

Ah ha! Didn't notice the 'knocked him on his back' part. Wink

SirXaris wrote:
    And, dwarves are four feet tall.

Only if their mother is an . . . Elf! Razz Evil Grin

SirXaris wrote:
    Yeah, I had no idea either and had to look it up . . . It's a gladiator weapon . . .

Found it! But only after I spelled it correctly! Razz

"Scizore" . . . at least, for Goggle anyway. A slashing and punching weapon. Interesting choice. Cool Laughing

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Found it! But only after I spelled it correctly! Razz

"Scizore" . . . at least, for Goggle anyway. A slashing and punching weapon. Interesting choice. Cool Laughing

Ah! How embarassing! I did misspell it. Sad

I've gone back and edited it above so that no one will know. Sshh! Cool

SirXaris
    GreySage

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:50 pm  

Can't transport the image . . . poor computer skills. But, for your readers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scissor_%28gladiator_type%29

Tada! And yes, this site uses yet another spelling! Laughing Laughing Laughing

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbelas

It seems the weapon was mostly used for fighting against the net, the retiarii. Makes one wonder how effective it would be against more "standard" weapons . . . in reality. Wink

But of course this is a fantasy world! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:45 pm  

Sir Xaris,

Glad, I was able to catch up on your tread. Blump Butter! Got to say the world of Oerth has some names that had to be ridiculed by all present during his or hers childhood.

Its Blump, Its Blump, Its Blump, Its in my head!

Then Butter, maybe he churns really well.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:42 pm  

Argon wrote:
    Sir Xaris,

Glad, I was able to catch up on your tread. Blump Butter! Got to say the world of Oerth has some names that had to be ridiculed by all present during his or hers childhood.

Its Blump, Its Blump, Its Blump, Its in my head!

Then Butter, maybe he churns really well.

Later

Argon

Parkay!

Hehehehehehehehe!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:28 pm  

Bugbears. Not owlbears!

Participating PCs
    Tumak Copperbeard - 4th level male dwarf Fighter;
    Ynohtna Noswal - 4th level male half-orc Ranger.

Disappointed that only the three of them were available to go adventuring at this time, the three demi-human friends argued about whether they should return to face the over-sized owlbear in the ooze cave or make a foray against the cave of the bugbears. It was unanimously agreed that the cave of the Iuzian Clerics and their undead minions was to be avoided until they could muster additional forces with which to make a strong assault. Eventually, Tumak gave in and agreed to try their luck against a tribe of bugbears. They had only fought real ones in small groups of three or less and those hadn't presented these three with a serious threat to their lives. Being eaten by the giant owlbear, however, was a very real possibility in everyone's mind.

Traveling east along the road proved quite adventurous this day as they were attacked by two different groups of orcs and one band of over two dozen goblins. They did manage to defeat all three ambushes and felt enormous relief when they failed to recognize the colors being flown by the group of a dozen mounted men-at-arms and knights who caught up to them from the direction of the keep. The one group they did not want to encounter on an isolated portion of the road was Sir Bluto and his cronies. This group, however, was friendly to Lord Locks and was making their way from Perrenland to join him in the east in his fight against the forces of the Old One. The party wished them well and continued until arriving at the pallisaded fort just east of the ravine holding the Caves of Chaos. Resting just long enough to chat with the ten mercenaries paid by the castellan to hold it in the name of the Keep, they then crossed the road due west and made their way to the copse of trees hiding the cave of the bugbears.

The warriors were not fooled by the welcome signs posted outside the entrance in various languages as they had been warned that the hobgoblins had attempted a similar ruse. Sneaking in, Tumak detected no stonework traps, so advanced to the T intersection which he determined by now must be a common theme among the original architects of the Caves. Glancing left and right, he noted the dancing light of a fire around the corner in a room a short distance down the hallway and a staircase leading up. To the right, he noted another short tunnel ending in another T intersection. Blump then convinced the others to retreat back out and cut some small trees in the thicket to use as longspears.

"How long?" asked Tumak.
    "Twice as long as a man!" Blump replied.
    "Some men are longer than others," noted Ynohtna.
    "I see yer mother's been telling ye stories about me again!" the gnome retorted.

While the friends were thus engaged in banter and cutting longspears, Tumak spied a bugbear attempting to sneak out the entrance to the cave behind them. Crying a warning to his friends, he advanced to engage the brute. Blump and Ynohtna quickly followed, but so, too, did two more bugbears. The dwarf was anxious to protect his warpony that he had tethered near the cavern entrance. He had spent a pretty penny on that piece of horseflesh and saddle, even going so far as to pay for chainmail barding to protect it. The gnome and half-orc summoned their war dogs as well and the fight quickly turned against the goblinoids as one fell to their flanking foes. One retreated back into the cave entrance, but the other was cut off and cut down by the Ranger and two of the dogs. Tumak followed on the heals of the retreating bugbear as it called for aid. Blump, however, managed to convince his dwarven friend that barreling into the unknown in such a situation would likely end in a trap or an ambush. Tumak hesitated long enough for the Cleric to heal him. Unfortunately, he did not notice the bugbear chieftain and other bugbears sneaking up on him from the other direction. Taking a surprisingly well-placed strike to the ribs from a slash out of the darkness, the dwarf hustled the gnome before him and raced back into the dim light of the thicket.

Outside again, they were joined by the Ranger and the three war dogs. They made a crescent line to receive the over-sized goblins as they emerged from the darkness of their lair. The first two charged straight for the line, but the chieftain found a small hole and stepped through to flank the dwarf. Tumak was a bit disconcerted as this large bugbear seemed to blend exceptionally well with the shadowy forest around them. As the battle raged, more and more bugbears emerged to join the fray until about a dozen had shown themselves. They had the numbers to outflank the adventurers and they proved quite capable of striking where it counted, so the three companions elected to Run!

[I gave each of the regular 3 HD bugbears a single level of Rogue (Thief). Thus, they all had nicely high Stealth scores and the Sneak Attack ability. Anytime a PC got flanked, the bugbears' hits caused an additional 1d6 hit points of damage. This quickly took a serious toll on their reserves once they began to be encircled.]

Blump ran first, but was not very fast. Ynohtna and the dogs outdistanced the gnome quickly. Tumak followed the gnome, but was cut down from behind when the faster bugbears caught up to them. As the Cleric was caught, he commanded his war dog to stay with the Ranger, but the Ranger sent his own war dogs back to protect his gnomish friend while he continued to run. Blump successfully cast Sanctuary, but two of the bugbears directly behind him managed to maintain their focus on running him down. Fortunately, one of them was intercepted by a wardog, so only one continued to attack him while others circled him and the war dogs to continue their pursuit of the half-orc. Two of the bugbears stopped to grab the unconscious and bleeding dwarf and carry him back to their cave.

Desparate to prevent another comrade-in-arms from being captured and likely eaten by the humanoids, Blump then cast his daily Invisibility spell (a special gift from his trickster deity) and successfully eluded the one bugbear intent on crushing his skull. He then channeled positive energy and healed both of Ynohtna's wardogs, himself, Tumak and a few of the bugbears that had taken damage. This kept the dogs fighting, distracting several of the goblinoids, and healed the dwarf sufficiently to bring him back to consciousness. Recognizing his current predicament, Tumak surprised the bugbears bearing him and squirmed from their grasp. Dropping to his feet, he fled to the cave mouth where his warpony was tethered. As he deftly sliced the tether holding the war pony and vaulted into the saddle, the invisible Blump channeled healing energy again to heal some of the wounds he had suffered in the attempt. The war pony was able to out-distance the bugbears and Tumak disappeared out of the thicket, down the ravine, and eastward to the pallisaded fort.

Slipping away invisibly, Blump followed the bugbears chasing his Ranger friend. Ynohtna and Blump's war dog ran to ground when they caught an opportunity to do so out of sight of their pursuers. The bugbears went into stealth mode and continued their search. The Ranger lost sight of them as well and waited a brief period before making a break for it. The bugbears caught sight of him and the chase was on again. The Ranger had to curve around to avoid running straight through the line of pursuit, which had nearly surrounded him when he'd been hiding and one of the bugbears caught the wardog, though it was unable to stop it. Ynohtna outlasted the humanoids in the 600 yard race through briar and thicket to the pallisaded fort east of the ravine, arriving shortly after Tumak upon his war pony. Blump, however, had to travel slowly in order to avoid giving away his invisible position. Unfortunately, his prankster nature took over when he spied one bugbear nearly attack another when it mistook its mate for a sneaky enemy. Garl Glittergold's Cleric tried to throw his voice and insult one of the bugbears, but he had no skill in the trick and only managed to alert the two to his position. He was lucky in managing to avoid being caught by them, however, and wisely elected to avoid any more bugbears he came across while making his way to the fort.

Resting under the protection of the wooden walls and mercenaries, Blump used the remainder of his healing abilities to bring the party up to speed. They then settled in for the night on the second floor of the central tower. Half of the mercenaries patrolled the wall-tops while the other half, their two war dogs, and Blump's war dog slept on the first floor. When a sentry called the alarm as a dozen bugbears emerged from the woods surrounding the fort, the dwarf reflected on the fortune that brought the Ring of Sustenance into his possession. Because of its powerful magic, he required only two hours of sleep each night and had donned his armor already. The Ranger was trained to sleep in his armor, but Blump and the mercenaries were not. Blump had slept in his armor anyway and was fatigued during the fight as a result, but the five sleeping mercenaries simply grabbed their tower shields and ran to man the walls.

The bugbears had failed in their attempt to sneak into the fort, but attempted to climb the walls en masse. That was no mean feat, though, with defenders at the top stabbing at them with spears. The most fearful twist, however, was the appearance of the bugbear leader mounted upon the very owlbear that had slain, and presumably eaten, their clerical friend from the far northeast! Shocked Raising up on its hind legs, it brought its forelimbs down upon the wooden gates of the fort, cracking the wooden brace. While the Ranger climbed to the top of the tower to target climbing bugbears as they presented their heads above the parapet, the Fighter and Cleric raced down the ladder and out to the front gates. There, they fortified the brace with a metal chain from the Ranger's backpack. Tumak and Blump then climbed to the wall-walk and joined the guards there while the three war dogs bristled and barked at the beast on the other side of the gates.

This battle lasted some time and over half of the mercenaries fell to the bugbear assault, but the fortified gates withstood the owlbear's assault (suffering 89 hp damage out of 100). Nine of the bugbears were brought down before the leader called off the attack and slunk back into the woods. Highlights of the battle included the dwarf running along the catwalk and jumping from it onto the back of a bugbear that had made it down to the courtyard, brining it down with a powerful chop at the end of that leaping charge. He even managed to land on his feet. Cool Blump suffered a couple of hits from the magically returning handaxe hurled by the chieftain, but caused him to miss its return on one ocassion with a well-placed bullet from his sling. This resulted in the bugbear leader ignominiously dismounting the owlbear and running into the road to get his handaxe before returning to remount and rejoin the battle. One of the bugbears managed to get into the courtyard alive and slam its morningstar into the chain fortifiying the gates. This critical hit caused more damage in a single stroke than had any of the owlbear's hits. Tumak and the dogs interfered with his continued attempts, however, and prevented the owlbear from gaining entrance. The bugbear chieftain did leave his mount and scale the walls himself, but, seeing his force decimated, called a retreat and missed that opportunity to confront the dwarf scizore to scizore again. Tumak did notice the familiar weapon protruding from the bugbear's right arm, however, and stored that information away for a future encounter.

Having sent their bugbear assailants packing, the heroes patched up the wounded mercenaries and managed to prevent any from dying. They manned the watch the remainder of the night and used their healing spells, powers, and potions on themselves and the mercenaries come the morn. While recouperating, Ynohtna pondered his next encounter with the dryad. He had received the Cloak of Resistance from the dwarven merchant (Thardfer) who returned from his successful trip to Perrenland on the half-orc's behalf. He was going to have to search her out again to keep his promise, but at what risk? Was she likely to keep the spirit of their bargain or might she try to take advantage of him again? Best plan it out carefully, he reasoned.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:27 am; edited 9 times in total
    GreySage

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    "How long?" asked Tumak.
    "Twice as long as a man!" Blump replied.
    "Some men are longer than others," noted Ynohtna.
    "I see yer mother's been telling ye stories about me again!" the gnome retorted.

Okay, Blump "Parkay," sometimes . . . it's just cheesy! Laughing

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:00 pm  

I gotta admit that I snickered at that little exchange, too. Seems I've played a gnome in the exact same lewd way. Happy

So...just gotta ask...how does one train an owlbear to use as a mount? Wondering how the bugbears pulled this off, assuming no magic, unless they somehow reared the thing since it was a fledgling. Hmmm...

Also have to admit that I didn't see a siege coming! Interesting turn of events.

Do bugbears have the same inherent stealth ability in 3e as they do in 1 and 2e? I think in those editions they have something like a 1-3 out of d6 chance to surprise...

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:29 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    So...just gotta ask...how does one train an owlbear to use as a mount? Wondering how the bugbears pulled this off, assuming no magic, unless they somehow reared the thing since it was a fledgling. Hmmm...

There are several versions of owlbears here. I got the idea from the siege owlbear, but didn't want such a powerful opponent. I had increased this one to 7 HD since the party was third and fourth level. Since it is size Large, I figured it was big enough to be ridden by a size Medium bugbear and that was just the thing to set the bugbears apart from the other humanoids in the caves. Yes, I assumed the bugbear chieftain had raised and trained the owlbear from its infancy.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/owlbear

Quote:
    Also have to admit that I didn't see a siege coming! Interesting turn of events.

I decided that the bugbears weren't ones to sit back and wait for the adventurers to return, so they planned a midnight assault - after the PCs had used all their healing magic for the day. Evil Grin

Quote:
    Do bugbears have the same inherent stealth ability in 3e as they do in 1 and 2e? I think in those editions they have something like a 1-3 out of d6 chance to surprise...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/bugbear

Yes, but I decided to expand upon that by giving this group a single level of Rogue as they are some of Iuz's special forces behind enemy lines.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:35 pm  

Oops! Double post. Embarassed

SX

Last edited by SirXaris on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 pm  

Sir Xaris,

Were you interpreting a Xerox? Wink

I think Blump Butter should have access to the Grease spell. What a racially tolerate group a gnome and dwarf working with a half-orc. Never liked the term half-orc. Which half is orc? Razz

Nice siege I hate adventures were the baddies are just sitting around waiting for someone to come by.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:28 am  

Argon wrote:
    Never liked the term half-orc. Which half is orc?

The reproductive organ? Confused

Half-human and proud of it!

Razz

Mwahahahahahahahahaha!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:21 am  

Argon wrote:
    Sir Xaris,

Were you interpreting a Xerox? Wink

I'm afraid that one went right over my head. Confused

And, I forgot an important portion of the initial fight with the bugbears, which I'll edit into the story above, but add here so you don't have to read through the whole post above to find. (The edited parts are in italics.)

Bugbears... edit

Blump ran first, but was not very fast. Ynohtna and the dogs outdistanced the gnome quickly. Tumak followed the gnome, but was cut down from behind when the faster bugbears caught up to them. As the Cleric was caught, he commanded his war dog to stay with the Ranger, but the Ranger sent his own war dogs back to protect his gnomish friend while he continued to run. Blump successfully cast Sanctuary, but two of the bugbears directly behind him managed to maintain their focus on running him down. Fortunately, one of them was intercepted by a wardog, so only one continued to attack him while others circled him and the war dogs to continue their pursuit of the half-orc. Two of the bugbears stopped to grab the unconscious and bleeding dwarf and carry him back to their cave.

Desparate to prevent another comrade-in-arms from being captured and likely eaten by the humanoids, Blump then cast his daily Invisibility spell (a special gift from his trickster deity) and successfully eluded the one bugbear intent on crushing his skull. He then channeled positive energy and healed both of Ynohtna's wardogs, himself, Tumak and a few of the bugbears that had taken damage. This kept the dogs fighting, distracting several of the goblinoids, and healed the dwarf sufficiently to bring him back to consciousness. Recognizing his current predicament, Tumak surprised the bugbears bearing him and squirmed from their grasp. Dropping to his feet, he fled to the cave mouth where his warpony was tethered. As he deftly sliced the tether holding the war pony and vaulted into the saddle, the invisible Blump channeled healing energy again to heal some of the wounds he had suffered in the attempt. The war pony was able to out-distance the bugbears and Tumak disappeared out of the thicket, down the ravine, and eastward to the pallisaded fort.

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm  

Sir Xaris,

Nice update. Glad you posted the changes here.

The Xerox part had to do with a double post! Wink

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:39 pm  

Argon wrote:

Doh! I didn't even notice that until you explained it. Razz

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Argon wrote:

Doh! I didn't even notice that until you explained it. Razz

SirXaris

I'm subtle like that. Wink
    GreySage

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:13 am  

Argon wrote:
    I'm subtle like that. Wink

Or Xaris is "slow on the uptake!"

Mwahahahahahahahaha!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:25 pm  

we gamed tonight...and boy did we do good... I just trained a huge spider to be my pet and added another ornament beside the Minotaur skull to my appearance :) Sir Xaris will tell you about it soon...
    GreySage

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:57 pm  

Finally! We managed to get back together for a few hours of gaming. We cut the role-playing to a minimum this time as we wanted to kill something. (It's been too long - withdrawal hurts. Evil )

Are you sure you want to go after that giant owlbear in the lair of the oozes?

Participating PCs:
    Tumak Copperbeard - 4th level male dwarven Fighter;

The three adventurers returned to the Keep to better equip themselves for their next incursion. Unfortunately, the dwarf still insisted he had no need for a dagger (or other short, piercing weapon). They then returned to the Caves without incident. There were three caves remaining, which they had not yet fully explored: the high cave of the Iuzian Clerics and their undead minions; another high cave hidden in a tangled copse of trees that housed the bugbear tribe; and the low cave, also hidden within a small copse from which the Goblin Run emerged, in which the owlbear laired. A short argument ended in the decision to deal with the owlbear first, though it was decided with no little trepidation.

The demi-humans found the trail that the owlbear must use to exit the copse surrounding his lair's entrance and advanced to the cave mouth. There, Tumak tied his war pony and the three looked carefully to see if any traps had been set. They had become wary of entering an enemy's lair without first doing so, even if that enemy was an owlbear and some oozes. Finding none, however, they cautiously entered. Electing to explore west (the direction of the owlbear's lair, they quickly caught sight of two bugbears at the limit of their darkvision. These brutes were aiming crossbows at them and soon firing them in their direction. Both bolts zipped by harmlessly and the dwarf charged. The half-orc followed more cautiously. The gnome sent his war dog to help the dwarf, but remained at the cave mouth watching the party's back to prevent the expected ambush.

Tumak was smacked by one of the bugbears' hefty morningstars, but the other was dragged down by Blump's war dog. Tumak quickly cut the life from the prone goblinoid while the other yelled in its beastly tongue for someone, or something, to 'Wake up!' Ynohtna arrived to assist in this battle, but it proved more difficult to defeat the second bugbear as it fought defensively and backed toward the owlbear's lair.

Just then, Blump spied a glistening spot on the ceiling in the direction from which the stream came. He noted that it was moving toward him and covered the extent of the ten foot wide passageway's roof. He called a warning to his friends and stepped outside the cavern in the hopes of luring the ooze outside for a battle. Blump's war dog immediately came at his call and exited the cavern in advance of the ooze. The half-orc barely avoided having the greyish blob drop upon him by diving out into the brambles near the gnome. Tumak, the dwarf, was not so fortunate, however. The ooze dropped upon the hapless Fighter and engulfed him completely.

The Cleric stood paralyzed while trying to remember what methods worked and didn't work to damage the other oozes they battled. Tumak tried to swing his scizor, but found it impossible with the thick ooze engulfing his entire body. The Ranger drew out a potion of Cure Moderate Wounds and drank it to heal the vicious wound inflicted upon him by the bugbear that had been guarding the cave. Tumak was taking some severe damage, however, as the ooze constricted him and ate away at his exposed flesh with its acid.

Regretting not purchasing a dagger, but refusing to admit such failure, Tumak forced the end of his scizor out of the ooze through strength of arm. Once his arm was free of the constricting miasma, he was free to flail against it with his slashing weapon. He did have to restrain the force of his blows, however, in order to avoid cutting all the way through to himself. (He only did half damage.) Ynohtna aided the dwarf in this endeavor and the two seemed to be making small progress, though the dwarf was being eaten at an alarming rate. Blump ordered his war dog to stay back and cast healing magics upon Ynohtna when the ooze lashed out at him.

Shortly, the ooze stopped constricting and Tumak quickly sloughed it off of himself and emerged from the mouth of the cave. Immediately, there was an odd roar that ended in a squawk from just inside and a crossbow bolt flew out past them again. Quickly, the party prepared for the assault of the owlbear. That is, Tumak attempted to mount his pony to run away and Blump climbed up to the top of the cave mouth to escape the initial assault. Ynohtna, however, stood his ground in stupefaction at the apparent cowardice of his companions along with Blump's war dog who simply cocked his head at his master's exceptional mountaineering display.

The owlbear - larger than most others encountered previously - rushed from the cave and overran the half-orc. Two claw attacks and a bite from it's beak savaged the Ranger and left him a bloody pile of pain on the ground. Tumak's war pony was now trapped between the owlbear and the tangled forest with no escape. The Fighter also realized that it was still tied and was not going to be his escape. So, he dismounted and hacked at the owlbear. Blump took up his rope and jumped from the top of the cave mouth onto the owlbear's back, distracting it from the attacking dwarf and the half-orc it had intended to make a meal of. The Cleric managed to hang on, but found it impossible to get the rope around its neck at the same time.

The owlbear reared up onto its hind legs and slammed the gnome into the rocks above the cave mouth managing to take only a single swing at the dwarf in front of it. Tumak chose to take this opportunity to pour a healing potion down the half-orc's throat, then went back to attacking it when Ynohtna coughed and began to rise on shaky legs. Round after round of combat, Blump kept his perch, but couldn't wrap the rope around the owlbear's neck. The Fighter and Ranger hacked and slashed at the beast while suffering occasional swipes of its deadly paws.

Finally, Blump managed to swing the rope around and catch it, forcing the owlbear back on its hind legs. This tripped it up and it fell to the ground in a clumsy pile of razor sharp beak and claws. The dwarf and half-orc fell upon it viciously with scizor and falcion until the beast was stilled. After Ynohtna performed a coup-de-grace to ensure it's demise, the Cleric summoned a healing burst of positive energy to heal them all. The dead owlbear did not benefit from this burst. The not-yet-dead, ooze did, however. Shocked

All of a sudden, the ooze reached out and grabbed the Ranger by the leg. At the same time, another crossbow bolt shot from within the darkness of the cave. Not panicking this time, the adventurers slew that beast again, then, not seeing any bugbears or other threats within, decided to beat a retreat to the relative safety of the palisade fort before their luck ran out.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:07 pm; edited 6 times in total
    GreySage

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:21 pm  

Don't kill it! I want to keep it for a pet!

Participating PCs:
    Tumak Copperbeard - 4th level male dwarven Fighter;

While resting and recouperating for a day at the palisaded fort, the three demi-humans discussed Tumak's penchant for claiming trophies of their kills. Again, the dwarf had claimed the male member of the giant owlbear as a trophy, but had been surprised to find that he had to hack through an actual bone to acquire that one. This had irritated his companions at the time since they were in a hurry to leave the vicinity, knowing that bugbears, likely other oozes, and perhaps a mate for the slain owlbear were all soon to be new threats.

The dwarven warrior was not daunted, however, and bragged to all the soldiers, showing off the minotaur skull he intended to have made into a horned helm and the new trophy he planned to present to the Keep's tanner to be made into a rather large cod piece. This annoucement was met with much rolling of eyes from his companions and comradly laughter from the mercenaries.

The following day, they decided to make their way back to the Keep via a scenic route through the forest. During their trek, a large spider (body about as big as two fists held together) dropped from the canopy onto the dwarf's shoulder and tried to bite him. He yelled at his friends not to chop at it and grabbed it in his mailed fist. It managed to bite him before he maneuvered it into a hold where it couldn't, but his dwarven constitution shrugged off the poisonous effects.

The Fighter was having a difficult time convincing his companions that he could train the large spider to be a companion until the gnome suggested that he try speaking to it. Tumak was delighted at the possibility, so Blump cast his spell.

Blump: Hey, there. Why did you attack my friend?
    Spider: Shaggy dwarf smelled tasty.
    Blump: (Translating and disagreeing with the spider's opinion of the dwarf's smell.) You can't eat the dwarf. What do you like to eat?
    Spider: Dwarf.
    Blump: What else to you like to eat? Worms? Bugs?
    Spider: Crickets. Mice. Birds. Halflings. Horses...
    Blump: Okay, okay. How about we find you something else to eat?
    Spider: Why not eat dwarf? Put me down.
    Blump: You can't eat the dwarf. He'll put you down when he's sure you won't try to eat him.
    Spider: Only suck his insides out. Not eat his bones and fur.
    Blump: You may not suck his insides out!...

This continued for a bit as Tumak wanted to convince the spider to be his friend, but Blump realized the spider's intelligence was too child-like to convince it of anything and felt bad about trying to trick it. Eventually, they fed it some bugs and rats they caught and the dwarf carried it all the way back to the Keep. There, the Corporal of the Guard refused to allow him to enter the Keep with it until it was properly caged, so he stood without while Ynohtna and Blump went to the Provisioner and had him fashion a wooden cage for it. The Corporal checked the cage's strength and was convinced that it would hold for a while, but made Tumak promise to have a metal cage built for it right away.

So, the party marched back to the tavern for tales and ales surrounded by a gaggle of shrieking children, who kept a couple of arm's lengths away.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:49 pm  

That spider has a healthy appetite. bugs,birds, worms ok then halflings, horses, and dwarves. I wonder if the spider is one of Charlottes' children. Wink

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:03 am  

The only "future" problem I foresee is that spiders are a favorite food item of kobolds . . . creatures with a penchant for living in caves. all the more reason for them to attack your party. Wink

And fireballs work well against most Oozes. Of course, they work just as well against the Dwarves trapped within such Oozes too! Shocked

Mwahahahahahahahahahaha!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ 1, 2  Next]
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: