Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - who turned on the lights?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    who turned on the lights?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:18 am  
    who turned on the lights?

This relates to ToEE. Is the dungeon lit up? I would think it would be but it doesn't say anthing about that. the ghasts and ghouls don't need lights but the humans and gnolls do.

I got thinking about the party and their lights (torch/lantern) and how much this would give away their location. Which led me to wonder about lighting in the dungeon.
    GreySage

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:21 am  

I don't have a copy of the module (but a friend of mine does who is also a player and DM), and I could ask him.

I always leave such things to a DM call based on logic and reasoning.

-Lanthorn

FYI: gnolls are humanoids who do have infravision...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:12 am  

i found what i was looking for. it is in the module. just had to reread. thanks anyway Lanthorn.
    GreySage

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:41 pm  

You are QUITE welcome.

So...what was the answer?

curious,

Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43 am  

and i quote "Cressets and sconces are along the walls, and unlit torches rest in most of the latter. In 10' wide corridors sconces are at 10' intervals. Both are staggered left, right, left, right (etc), and unlit unless specified."

I have read levels one and two a couple times and it never says if the sconces and torches are lit or not. I think i will have most areas where humans are lit. Time to break out the pencil crayons :) Maybe some of the big temple type rooms dimly lit. I think even the humanoids would prefer to have some light. not?

most of the hallways are gonna be dark and any undead will be in the dark.
    GreySage

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:56 am  

Light is useful even to those beings with infravision if they need to see details such as writing and the like. Even a drow elf wizard needs a minor amount of candlelight to read his/her spellbook, even if the light stings his/her eyes.

Yes, I would think there are times when even humanoids would desire even a small bit of light. And just because they prefer night doesn't mean that some of them don't hunt, move, or raid by day.

-Lanthorn
    Master Greytalker

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 pm  

This just made me laugh as I thought of the players IMC. They CONSTANTLY use Continual Light spells while investigating dark dungeons, mines, caves, etc. I mean, come on! Isn't common knowledge how snipes take out enemy soldiers lighting cigarettes at long distance? Like all these underground denizens with, in essence, night vision wouldn't notice? So, I constantly have the bad guys 100% ready, setting up great ambushes, etc. For some reason, these guys just don't catch on!
    GreySage

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:56 am  

True that, Ragnar!!!

My player and I, when using Lighting spells to see in the darkness (above ground or below), try to be judicious with their use just for that reason. When not in use, such spell effects (centered on a portable, small item like a coin or stone), are stored away in a container (like scroll tube or stashed deeply in a pack, surrounded by gear and spare clothing). However, when the Lights come out, your point is well made, for it makes you a moving beacon.

To that effect, when possible, our clerics cast the spell (from Bastion of Faith supplementary book) called "Vigilance", a 2nd lvl Guardian Sphere spell, to effectively see in the gloom. However, barring that, a use of "Blessed Watchfulness" (1st lvl Guardian Sphere spell from Spells & Magic hardback) can help to mitigate some of the effects of darkness, but it is not fully effective since it only enhances what you have and does not truly convey 'night sight.'

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: