JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - couple questions
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    couple questions
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:25 pm  
    couple questions

first the spell create water. How exactly does it work? Do you need a tub to create the water into or can you produce a stream of water to fill waterskins? I kinda think a container is needed but i would be interested to see what other people think.
    The spell command. It lasts for one round so if an entity was commanded to flee it would do so for one round worth of movement then be unaffected. Sound right? The casting time of command is one segment. Assuming this happens first in a round do the affects last until after the first segment of the next round or is it the entire next round? or just that round it was cast in?

Weather generation. Does anyone do this? What method? I tried using gygax's method from Glossography that involved lattitudes, degrees of latitudes, hexes and miles, and still other factors. Though this method looked the most detailed and interesting it was confusing and time consuming. i used the method from The Adventure Begins and did a couple months worth of weather in about 15 minutes.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:52 pm  

Without looking up the spell description, I can only say I believe it may say a container is needed to contain the water. I'd never considered if it could be cast to fill multiple waterskins without one big container to hold the water to start with.

As for Command and using it to make someone flee, I would assume the affected person/creature runs away at top speed for one round, and can act normally after that. With your example, I would have the creature roll initiative on the round of coming out of the spell, if the action of the creature and when it can act is relevant. (not sure how helpful this is)

Aside from a few times when I rolled weather at the start of a game, and neglected it as we got into play, I've only really rolled up weather once. I used the system from the 1st edition Wilderness Survival Guide, and got about 6 weeks worth of weather.
    It was fun when the day the party set out, I had a result of 9 inches of snow. Yep, the ONE day they were on the road, and that was it. Yeah I had a few other snow results around then, but nothing more than an inch or so. (adventurer's luck?) "Sunny days, light snow maybe...ok, we'll set out first thing tomorrow...."
    GreySage

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:34 am  

I agree with BW that a container is needed. However, one casting of this spell could potentially fill numerous containers based on the level of the cleric and the total volume available from all the vessels.

Regarding Command, I rule that it takes immediately in the round cast and lasts for a full round. In the case of causing someone to flee, they do so at FULL movement (like a Cause Fear spell, but only one round duration).

I use a hybrid for weather generation, employing both the Wilderness Survival Guide (the chart) and the originial Greyhawk Boxed Set (golden one) with respect to precipitation, wind speed/direction, and the like. There is a thread with respect to just this discussion, and if you do a Canonfire! search I think you will find it. Otherwise, if I stumble upon it, I will let you know.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:52 am  

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4739

I think this is the thread I mentioned previously, written by Sutemi, and called "Please help me with weather."

Hope it helps.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:55 am  
    Re: couple questions

mcneilk wrote:
    ...I tried using gygax's method from Glossography that involved lattitudes, degrees of latitudes, hexes and miles, and still other factors. Though this method looked the most detailed and interesting it was confusing and time consuming...

-As you know, I like detail. Laughing

I always prepare the weather several days out before play. It prevents doing it during play, and allows for characters to use the predict weather feature of the "Survival" skill (D&D 3.5, but AD&D1 WSG has an equivalent, IIRC), or weather predicting spells.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:36 am  

I don't think create water requires a container, but it's a good idea to have one if you want the water to be useful. As I see it, there's no "stream" effect; the spell instantaneously creates x volume of water in the designated AoE. My players usually use a barrel for this purpose.

I believe the intent of the command spell was for the victim to forfeit his next action, and I run it as such without getting too picky about segments.

Lanthorn wrote:
    I use a hybrid for weather generation, employing both the Wilderness Survival Guide (the chart) and the originial Greyhawk Boxed Set (golden one) with respect to precipitation, wind speed/direction, and the like.

Curiously, Lanthorn, I seem to do this oppositely. I use the Greyhawk charts for their baseline data, but I reconcile them to the WSG rules for day-to-day change, humidity, wind chill, etc. I like to have at least a month of weather prepared in advance, which only takes me about half an hour to prepare. (My players spend a lot of time traveling.)
    GreySage

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:16 pm  

DMPrata, I concur with you about rolling weather well ahead in time for the main reason you outlined. In fact, as 'sick' as this sounds, I enjoy rolling up weeks of weather in advance nearly as much as rolling up NPCs for my game! Shocked

My player's PCs tend to travel a lot too, especially recently in a variety of different settings. The current group has been within the Domain of Greyhawk for some time, including the Mistmarsh and now the plains. I find that outdoor adventures can be challenging and exciting in their own right. In addition, I like the 'randomness' of the creature encounters that can be rolled as well.

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:09 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    I don't think create water requires a container, but it's a good idea to have one if you want the water to be useful. As I see it, there's no "stream" effect; the spell instantaneously creates x volume of water in the designated AoE. My players usually use a barrel for this purpose.

I guess I worded my earlier post poorly. I agree, that a container isn't "required" for casting the spell. In fact, reading your post, I envisioned a caster creating a bunch of water over an opponent's head.
    Now, I wonder about the effect that might have on fire elementals and possibly other fire based creatures.
    GreySage

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:08 am  

Gents, I agree with you that a vessel is not needed UNLESS you want to contain the water that is magically created. It will therefore splash and run off unless it is cast within a container. I've had priests cast this spell over fires in order to quench them.

When cast upon something like a fire elemental, I would rule that the water does cause damage, although only something along the lines of d4 per gallon or level of the casting priest.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:25 pm  

I am with Lanthorn and BlueWitch in that a container isn't required, but allows the caster to contain the water created.

My PC cleric has used that simple spell frequently for quenching fires or damaging fire creatures by creating the water above them (within the spell's range, of course).

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: