JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Questions on the nature of Greyhawk's deities
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Questions on the nature of Greyhawk's deities
    Novice

Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:24 am  
    Questions on the nature of Greyhawk's deities

In a quest I run, I was thinking about adding a divine part to the plot (i.e. events which happen in the Material Plane have a reason not visible to mortals). However, I haven't been able to find a lot of material or discussions about gods of Greyhawk. So a couple of questions:

1) What prevents GH gods from intervening on Oerth?

Beory is mentioned as Oerth impersonificated. Iuz has his own empire, Cuthbert is known to have his avatar here and there, iirc. Yet, other gods do not appear as often, or are not mentioned per se as appearing on Oerth.
    I also noticed that someone mentioned here that concequences of a God appearing in GH are 'severe' -- anybody willing to comment why?

I am not speaking of deities running their own agendas through their followers, I am asking here about avatars, true appearances.
    Who or what enforces the rule that Gods are not as visible in GH as in the Realms -- is there an answer to this question, a 'canon' one possibly?

2) Are there any rules governing the actions of the GH deities?

Example: if one lesser god tricks another - is it then a case between the two, or possibly a stronger Power intervenes and punishes the plotters?

In essence, are GH deities plotting against one another and the shape of the world (just in RL) is just the result of distribution of power, or are GH deities more or less controlled by something (akin to Faerun's Ao). I had the feeling the answer is the former option, but would like to be sure. Anyone know?

3) Nature of GH god's power over mortals

Apart from pure revelation/manifestation to mortals (which - as mentioned in (1) - is very rare) -- does anybody know how do Gods (other than Cuthbert or Iuz) run their agenda in the world?
    By influencing people through their dreams? Or do gods stay away from mortals life, and the fact mortals worship them for 'this and that' is pure coincidence, and a god could have a completely different nature, unknown to mortals? If not, then I assume, there is some form of portfolios going on, even though we do not call them as such... and if a God slays another, he/she might usurp that one's status... right?
    What if a god has a diminishing amount of worshippers - does his/her power weaken through time? Are gods dependent on mortals in the absolute sense (no worshippers = no god)?

4) Nature of the deities themselves

Gazeteer mentions that deities have various backgrounds. Most differ. Some were Baklunish gods, some are wizards raised to god-status. Is it known, how and why this happens -- I mean a 'canon' or 'close-to-canon' explanation?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:27 pm  

I think that much of how the gods behave in your campaign is up to you.
    It is interesting that in the new campaign world put out by WOTC, Eberron does not have the god structure like GH or FR. It fact it appears to the opposite of FR which had the gods walking the world at one point of time. In my campaign I tend to play the gods a little like the Norse or Greek gods. They are generally stand offish, occasionally sending servants to meddle, which does not always result in what they were planning.
    When writing out my campaign I tried to consider the NPCs from the Gods right down to the peasants and how each affects the other. The gods, though interested in what it going in one part of the Prime Material plane are distracted by many things; they have the concerns of there own plane, they have the concerns of other followers in other parts of the Prime Material plane i.e. the greater Oerth or as in the example of St. Cuthbert who is worshipped in GH and FR and they have the concerns of guarding against rival gods. So from my respective it too simplistic for the Gods to be heavily involved in one area of the Prime Material let alone with a few people in one world, at least not until they are really quite powerful. The gods maybe able to throw a log upon the fire but they do not always have time to tend it.
    I believe that followers are an important part of the gods’ existence and the struggle for followers should be the concern of every cleric. It is at the same time questionable as how far to take this. Where do devil and demon worshippers fit into this question, as they seem to exist outside the pantheon? Do any devils owe their allegiance to Hextor? They also seem to exist despite the number of believers.
    Gods being gods can communicate in any form you choose. I have used dreams, strange gifts or even a poor beggar’s thanks (quite cliché but it works). I try not to make it blatant.
    In the long run you are the supreme God as DM trying to make an interesting world for the players to enjoy and how you run your gods should reflect that.
    As to how gods are made I again use mythology. General a hero/in of power who sacrifices oneself for a great cause becomes immoral. Beside what else are you going do with a 27 level being? Either he/she retires or is placed in the stars.
    That’s my thoughts anyway.

Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:44 pm  

Thanks for the answer.
    I am still a bit hesitant to the whole idea, and wanted to do a 'low-divine-influence' scenario, and was looking for options, wondering if there is a canon explanation to deities' existence/power.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: