Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Knightly Rivalries?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Knightly Rivalries?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:10 pm  
    Knightly Rivalries?

I was just wondering if there was ever an explanation in canon for the rivalries between the various knightly orders of the Flanaess. I'm assuming that in most cases it has to do with simple matters of pride and prestige between say, the Knights of the Hart and the Shield. In other cases, it might be because of historical or political factors, such as the Knights of the Hart in Furyondy hating Dyvers for seceding from the kingdom, and Perrenland remembering bad treatment at the hands of Furyondy's knights when that country was briefly occupied by Furyondy after the latter seceded from the Great Kingdom. In other cases, it might be because of the imperialist stance advocated by the Knights of the Hart in Furyondy.

On the other hand, I can't quite fathom the reason why the nobles of Nyrond would dislike any of the knightly orders of the western Flanaess, although that hardly bothers me. So, are there canon explanations for these things? If not, what have you made up as an explanation?
    <div align="left">Going to war without Keoland is like going to war without a pipe organ.&nbsp; They both make a lot of noise and they're both a lot of dead weight, so what's the point in taking them along?&nbsp;</div>
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:08 pm  

Good Question

The only answer I can see off the top of my head is two historical reasons.

1) When many "good" Aerdy nobles relocated to the West because Ivid claimed the throne after the turmoil between the crowns and the church of Hextor gained power at the Imperial court.

Many displaced nobles according to Canon hoped to later assassinate Ivid and remove Naelax ofcourse Ivid proved an effective Tyrant.

Perhaps the Nyrondese nobles blame their loss of the civil war on the other farther western provinces who failed to provide enough support.

2) When Nyrond declared independence they did have an imperialist era hopefully to create an empire to match the Great Kingdom and perhaps one day to challenge their Eastern kin and unite the Aerdi once again.

The Nyrond no doubt saw this as a noble goal but the opposition from all their neighbors made the dream hopeless maybe the Nyrond nobles and knights see this "betrayal of a reunited empire" due to petty provincial concerns could be the cause of the resentment of the Nyrond knights towards the western orders who they see as small minded provincial upstarts consumed with petty bickering who were obviously created to ensure the Aerdi people remain divided.

Ofcourse the noble and Imperial Eastern Knightly Orders need no other reason than the quaint rustic western knightly orders refusal to acknowledge the obvious superiority of the older eastern knightly orders.

Nyrond nobles are never short of pride in their heiritage.

Hope that helps...if not ignore it.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:24 am  

A very good explanation for the rivalry and wariness between the Knights of Holy Shielding and the various orders of the Knights of the Hart(in particualr the Velunese and Furyondian branches) is that the Shields Lands were always wary of being annexed by Furyondy. It is cited in a few places how the rulers of the Shields Lands viewed Furyondy's offers of aid against the Horned Society and Iuz as thinly veiled attempts to put the Shield Lands in a position beholden to Furyondy in particular. Well, a lot of good that did them.

Even if this was the reason behind Furyondy's offer of aid, it is far better to be a vassal state to a friendly ally than be overun by evil hordes, resulting in your populace being offered up on the blood-stained altars of dark gods and fiendish lords of the netherealms. Seems the Shield Landers made a booboo.

As for the Knights of the Hart and the Order of the Watch, and the Knights of Keoland, reading through past histories regarding Keoland and Furyondy/Veluna, we see that Keoland at one time had its eye on gobbling up both of these states. Conflict ensued and bad blood was created between the knightly orders of each side. Politicians, rulers, and foreign policies come and go, but the traditions and enmities of the knightly orders(who actually do the up close and personal fighting in these conflicts) die hard.

Those are all of the major reasons for tension between the various western and central knightly orders that I recall off hand.

Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:08 am  

One reason why the Nyrondese might dislike the Knights of the Hart and other orders associated with Old Ferrond is that when Ferrond broke away from the Great Kingdom, the Overking of the day flung thousands of Nyrondese troops (and undoubtedly nobility) at the rebels. Imperial forces suffered serious losses at the hands of the the Ferrondese (which came back to haunt the Rax overkings as it sowed the first seeds of dissatisfaction with the rule of Rauxes in Nyrond) and nobles being nobles, it's possible that there's some lingering resentment.

P.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:21 pm  

Nyrond and Furyondy historically would have been rivals, as the biggest powers acting in the central flaneass. There is some suggestion that Nyrond was involved in the dissapearence of Prince Thrommel.

I am personally leaning to the opinion that Hart knights helped defend the sovereignty of one of the Urnst states against a reconquest attempt by Nyrond, and that this was the primary event in Nyrondian dislike for the Knights.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.&nbsp; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:21 am  

Hey CruelSummerLord,
    Many good reasons have been given, I use most of them but this one, KofHS are in no way despised nor outcast IMC. The weak (IMO) rationale that KofHart could have in any way have stopped/slowed/curbed Iuz' invasion is ludicrious. Further the KofHS are all paladins, mostly of Heronius. They have not lost abilities from their god, so it makes no sense that Belvor would nor his Heronius nation would blame KofHS for the fall of their lands.
    I don't care that canon doesn't agree.

Muscles
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: